- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

(Emmett takes over)

"Hi, Sweetie , how're you feeling?"  I sauntered in, a huge bag hanging from my hand.  I looked at the tray in front of Brian and scrunched my nose.  "I hope you're not planning on eating that shit?"   I asked as I swept the tray away and started pulling out things from my bag. 

 

In spite of the way Brian was probably feeling, I noticed that his nose picked up on the most delightful mouthwatering scents coming from my bag. 

 

"We have here a lightly whipped egg white omelet, with two slices of turkey bacon.  Then homemade toast, no butter, and voila a small quart of guava juice and your favorite double low fat latte." I chattered away as I withdrew each item. 

 

Sitting in a nearby chair I pretended to read a magazine while surreptitiously watching as Brian took a tentative taste of the omelet.    When Brian finally finished I had to ask.  "Well...what did you think of it?"

 

Brian wiped his mouth.  "It was...okay."

 

I was relieved; an okay from Brian was tantamount to getting a fantastic from anyone else.  I had been fairly sure that Brian would like it and with Cynthia's approval, I had talked with Brian's doctor about the things Brian could and could not have, especially after the day Deb showed up with what she considered comfort food. 

(flashback)

 

I well remember the day Deb and Michael found out that Brian was in the hospital and decided to visit. That was before anyone had thought to put limits on who could be allowed in.  Cynthia had left to take care of business, and moi had decided to keep Brian company.   You see Brian wasn't in the best of moods that day and who could blame him, his hair was all over the place, his beard was getting shaggy, but despite that the bastard still looked sexy enough to eat.   

 

The nurse was just finishing drawing blood when Deb pushed her way through the door, with Michael following after her. 

 

"Brian, you asshole.  What the fuck are you doing here?"  Michael asked loudly, as if he didn't know?

 

Unfortunately, I hadn't yet had a chance to explain Michael's part in Brian's arrest to him so he was in the dark as far as that was concerned.  The doctor walked in just as Deb pulled out a Styrofoam container of turkey meatloaf and laid it in front of Brian.   Oh lord, I couldn't believe my eyes when the doctor took one look at it and pushed the food off into the garbage.

 

Instead of being properly chastised, Debbie bitched.  "What the fuck did you do that for?" 

 

"What are you trying to do?  Kill him?"  Brian's doctor asked in turn.

 

Debbie huffed indignantly.  "Well, I never."

 

Michael, of course, had to put his two cents in.  "Briaan, are you going to let him talk to my mom that way?" 

 

It would have been funny except for the fact that Brian's stomach wasn't up to par at the moment so the smell of the fat in the meatloaf had what little he had in it making a reappearance. 

 

Now I'm not stupid by any means and I knew how I'd feel in a similar situation, so I hurriedly rushed both Deb and Michael out of the room to the sound of their objections and let the nurses take care of the mess.

 

"How dare that doctor say I was trying to kill Brian.  I love that boy like my own son!"  Debbie ranted.

 

"I'm sure he didn't mean it like that."  I told her, trying my best to placate her.  "It's just that right now Brian has to be careful what he puts in his stomach."

 

Deb had the decency to look abashed.  "I didn't know it was that bad."

 

That was when I decided that it would be a good idea to approach the doctor about just what it was Brian could and couldn't have, just to be on the safe side. 

 

It never really occurred to me to wonder why I was so willing to protect and do everything to take care of Brian and open my home to him, to me there was just no other choice. 

 

The doctors had confirmed that there was an unknown drug in Brian's system that might be responsible for his current condition and with my suspicions that Mikey was the culprit I couldn't in good consciousness let Brian go stay with his boyhood 'best friend'. 

QAF

 

Brian knew he had no other choice as well.  He didn't even complain about sleeping on the couch; after all,  it was only temporary until he got his own place.

 

Brian's only doubt about staying with Emmett, was that Em might constantly be asking him if he was all right.  Smothering him like they both knew Deb would have done, strangely,  though, their co-habitation was fairly harmonious.  Brian would wake up in the morning to sounds of Emmett puttering around in the kitchen.  He'd make his way to the bathroom, take care of business and get ready for work.

 

When he came out breakfast was on the table.  Not merely egg white omelets, plain toast, and guava juice.  There has been oatmeal, which he'd never considered eating.  But this had fruit in it and a sweetener that Emmett swore was approved by his doctor.   He even had his lunch packed and ready for him.

 

Brian tried to explain that he didn't need to cook for him, but Emmett insisted that Brian was his guinea pig for new recipes and he was thinking of putting together a cookbook.

 

After about a week of such meals, that included something different for every meal, Brian started feeling better and he wasn't as tired as he'd been for the last couple of months.  He'd come back from work; change into jeans and a wife beater to  find a note directing him to the refrigerator to a salad, freshly made. 

 

Once in a while they'd just sit and talk about what Brian wanted in a new place, and one thing Brian decided was that he wanted something different.  As soon as Ted gave the okay he would call Jennifer to see what she could find for him.

 

When Brian needed to go to his doctor for a follow-up, Emmett un-surprisingly insisted on going with him.  While waiting, Emmett enjoyed looking at the different magazines  stashed around the waiting rooms and pointing out things he thought Brian would like in his new place.  Brian pretended to ignore him, while secretly enjoying how uncomfortable he was making his fellow patients.  From the twinkle in Em's eyes and his over-the-top antics, Brian felt that he was enjoying himself too.  Never had a visit gone so fast!  Emmett was adamant on following him into the office and listening to what the doctor had to say and asking intelligent questions.  Brian had to wonder why?

 

He was quick to tell Emmett that they weren't in a relationship to which he informed him that, of course they weren't; if they were they'd be sharing a bed after he stopped laughing his ass off. 

 

Staying with Emmett wasn't as bad as Brian had thought.  When he wanted company Emmett was there, when he didn't he was gone.  He wondered if Em was channeling Mysterious Marilyn.  Every once in a while he would ask if he wanted to join them at Woody's.

 

That was how Brian found himself at Woody's watching Ted and Emmett playing pool.  It was nice to spend a relaxing evening, something he hadn't done in a while.  All work and no play made Brian a dull boy.  Plus he'd felt like celebrating- the news from his doctor was good, Ted had given the okay to start looking for a new place and a budget that wasn't too bad.  His sex life hadn't been all that great of late and he was pleased that several guys cruised him as he worked his way around the table, but strangely he wasn't all that interested.  He paused between shots to wonder if that was something he should be worried about.

 

He was leaning over the table, ready to take his shot when out of nowhere....

 

"Briiian.  Where have you been?" was shrieked in his ear and arms were wrapped around him messing up his shot.  He stood up straight and peeled Mikey off of him, noticing Ted and Emmett exchanged looks before putting away their cues.  "I've left messages all over and you never fucking returned my calls."

 

The gang sat down at one of the nearby tables and Brian took a sip of his beer.  "What can I say, Mikey.  I've been busy."

 

"Too busy to talk with your best friend?"  Michael complained loudly. 

 

Ted had gone off to get drinks for everyone.  A cosmo for Emmett, and beers for him, Brian, and Michael.  He could feel the tension at the table and evidently decided to defuse it somewhat.  "Where's Ben?"

 

"Grading papers."  Mikey said shortly before turning back to Brian.  "You know, I was hoping to find you here.   I thought it would be nice to get together and go to Babylon.  Like old times."  Mikey looked critically at Brian and frowned.  "Should you be drinking?"

 

"That's rich coming from you,"  Emmett muttered under his breath.

 

"What's that supposed to mean?"  Michael asked.

 

Emmett hesitated, then decided to come out with it.  "What do you think I mean.  He wouldn't have ended up in the hospital if it weren't for you."

 

"That was not my fault.  I had nothing to do with that and by the way it's none of your fucking business."  Mikey denied guiltily.

 

Brian watched as Emmett turned from being excited about Brian's search for a new place to fiercely protective of him and didn't understanding why.   That wasn't the only thing, he also notice Ted surreptitiously texting on his cell phone.  He decided to just settle back in his seat and watch. 

 

 Emmett actually sneered at Mikey.  "Didn't you?  I was there and I saw you spike his drink."

 

"I only did that to get him to relax! As his best friend it's my responsibility to see to the fact that he doesn't moping around.   He wasn't having any fun."  Mikey defended himself.

 

"Oh, I don't know.  How many guys have hit on you since we've been here. Bri?"  Ted asked, while still texting.

 

Brian was still trying to get his mind wrapped around the fact that his so called best friend had spiked his drink, that explained so much.

 

"I'd say at least nine or ten, wouldn't you say, Brian?"  Emmett offered. 

 

There had only been maybe four or five, but far be it for him to contradict Em. 

 

"Sounds about right,"  Brian murmured.

 

"I swear, I'd never hurt my best friend!"  Mikey pleaded.

 

 "Some best friend.  It makes me wonder what else you've mislead us about."  Emmett huffed.

 

"I've never lied to you,"  Mikey insisted.

 

"Oh?  Does 'he calls me, practically begs me to go with him, knowing full well I'm with someone for the first time in I don't know how long!'  sound familiar?" 

 

Everyone turned toward the table in the corner to the six- foot person with a brunet wig wearing a bright red dress and shuffling a stack of oversized cards.  She looked up and arched a brow.

 

"How could  you know about that, you weren't there!"  Mikey  complained.

 

Emmett thought about that, it did sound familiar.  "Wasn't that the day after Gus was born?"

 

Brian frowned.  "What the fuck?  I don't remember a lot from that night, but I distinctly remember  telling you to stay and fuck the shit out of the guy.  You're the one who insisted that I come pick you up."

 

Mikey looked like he was about to cry.  Fortunately for him Ben showed up just then in answer to Ted's text message.  "What's up, guys?"

 

"Ben!  I thought you were grading papers?"  Mikey seemed happy enough to see his husband.  "I thought about getting Brian over to Babylon so he could get some action in the backroom."

 

Ben sighed.  What was Michael thinking?   Before anything could be decided one of Babylon's buffed bouncers came over and appeared to whisper something suggestive in Brian's ear.

 

"Ted texted and asked me to come escort you home," he whispered so no one could hear him and smiled sexily at the gang.

 

Brian glared at Ted who studiously ignored him.  Then he thought about it.  Tongue in cheek, he got up and grabbed his savior by the belt loop.  "Sorry, boys.  It looks like something's come up."

 

"Briiiian,"  Mike whined and got up to follow him, but Ben held him back.  He pouted. "I just wanted to spend some time with him."

 

"Where am I going to sleep tonight?"  Emmett asked worriedly.

 

Ted placed his arm around Emmett.  "Tell you what, why don't we all go to Babylon and dance.  I'm sure that by the time we finish, Brian will be done."  The fact that the bouncer was straight and had a wife as well as two kids never entered into it. 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Comments welcomed