- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

(making a firehouse home)

Two weeks later the sale of firehouse closed and Brian was once again a home owner.  I was enjoying a nice peaceful sleep when I was awakened by the ringing of my phone.   I fumbled around before picking up the receiver and roll over onto my back, as I did, I notice I'm not alone.  "What?"

 

"Where's Brian?"  It's Ted.

 

"How the fuck should I know?"  I look at the clock and see that it's ten.  Damn I've overslept.  The body beside me turns and hubba hubba, boy is he a hunk.  Distracted as I am I still ask Ted, "Isn't he at work?"

 

"He called in that he was going to be out all week.  I just got worried." 

 

I smile at my bedside companion and reluctantly get out of bed to check on Brian.  Don't get me wrong, having Brian staying with me isn't as stressful as I'd thought it would be.  True, I don't have overnight guests as often I used to, but I'm getting accustom to that. 

 

Brian isn't in the living room, so I check everywhere, and there aren't that many places to look, but no Brian.  I hurried back to the phone and informed Teddy. 

 

It wasn't until after I'd said goodbye to the hunk that I started to worry, which didn't make any sense since Brian is a grown man and perfectly capable of taking care of himself.  But I couldn't help it and decided to check some of his old haunts, just in case.  First I went to the diner, then the gym and finally to Woody's, but no one had seen him. 

 

I just happened to wander by the fire station and noticed a light in the windows.  I debated with myself and decided why not?  So I barged right in and there was Brian, working at cleaning up the mess that was his new home.  Now I'm sure Brian can afford to hire someone to do that, but I had the idea that he wanted to spend the money on furnishings. 

 

"Hey, Honeycutt, you just going to stand there or are you going to give me a hand?" 

 

Brian continued dumping trash into a garbage bin and hadn't even looked my way.  I pulled myself up to my full height.  "I've just had a manicure and prefer not to sully my nails."

 

Brian finally looked at me and I swear his eyes were twinkling.  "Fair enough.  Could you get me some coffee?  And not that swill from the diner either."

 

That seemed only fair, so with a wave I was off.  I just happened to stop at the gym and a couple of other places before going to a gourmet coffee shop.  I come back with like ten guys and they all start pitching in and helping with the clean up.  I know Brian's not going to thank me, that's not his style.  You can imagine my surprise when Brian, tongue in cheek, kissed me.  I'll take that for a thank you any time.

 

I, of course, did what I do best.  Before anyone knew it, I had a hodgepodge of food and drinks for the masses.  Someone brought a boom box; people were laughing, dancing, and working.  A couple of them had expertise in plumbing and wiring.    Everything was going fine, then Ted showed up.  And he didn't show up alone.

 

Ted looked apologetic.  "Sorry, Michael heard everyone was here and called his mom."

 

Deb had her hair pulled back in a scarf and yellow rubber gloves on her hands.  "I'm here.  Where do you want me to start?" She was snapping her gum. 

 

I immediately took her upstairs and got her started on cleaning the stove.  Most of the stuff up there was junk, but the stove was industrial, not to mention gas and had six burners, and with a little love it would be the star of this kitchen.  Naturally, Michael was in everyone's way and no help at all.  Soon, however, Deb started bossing everyone around and twenty minutes later our helpers were gone.  Thankfully most of the garbage was gone as well.

 

The next few weeks were hectic and I didn't see Brian much.  I understand that the guys that had helped left cards with their numbers saying that if he needed more help to let them know.  That just as long as Deb wasn't there to boss them around, they would be happy to help.

 

Brian did give me full reign on planning his kitchen and, if I do say so myself, it came out fabulously. 

 

Finally the day arrived and Brian's new home was complete.  Brian was very proud of it and justifiably so.  It was an open floor plan, yet nothing would remind you of the old loft.  The kitchen was to die for.  Hell, I would have loved to move into it.

 

It was Cynthia who came up with the idea of a housewarming party, and invite all their clients and friends.  She said it would be great publicity for Kinnetik and Brian readily agreed.  And who was to cater such a momentous moment?  Nobody but Moi.

 

The food had to be classic and elegant, and the booze top of the line. 

 

It's the morning of the big event.  Brian is all moved in and I open the door into the downstairs which cleaned up rather well.  Brian now has his own parking area where fire trucks once stood.  The space is huge.  A quarter of it has been made over into an exercise room complete with a separate shower area.  There is even the original brass pole that makes it convenient to get to from the master bedroom.  So far I haven't had the pleasure of using it.

 

The other quarter is being used as a storeroom.  It has the possibility of being a couple of guest rooms in the future. 

 

The stairway to the second and main floor of Brian's home has not changed.  The rust has been scrapped off but that's about it. 

 

The main floor is essentially divided in two.  The wall near the staircase consist of sliding doors which open into an entry where the spiral staircase centers.  The rest of the room is a dream spot for Gus. 

 

The staircase leads up to the master section.  I saw the plans but have yet to enter the inner sanctum.  The rest of the main floor has a living, dining area much larger than the loft, and then there is piece de resistance,  the kitchen.   Industrial grade appliances and larger than the kitchen in the loft.  I check the refrigerator which holds all the hors d'oeuvres.  There are two bars, one in the living area, the other in the kitchen and they are all well stocked.

 

Brian, of course, was on cloud nine.  Frankly so was I.  It was time to parttay!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Comments welcomed.