- Text Size +

Brian's hand froze as he was twirling Justin's hair; thrown for yet another loop by his partner's evolving memory.  Justin wanted to see his studio.  Of course, his studio was in New York and he was not ready to relinquish Justin back to New York.  He had a studio at Britin as well; he could take him there, but was this evading Justin's intention?  Justin wanted to see his studio - the place where he painted and Britin's studio was a shadow of the one in New York. Something that Brian was happy to fix anytime Justin was ready, but Justin needed to be in New York to be a successful artist... Didn't he?  The one at Britin was used only when Justin was in town and absolutely had to paint when his muse wouldn't let him wait to a more convenient time.  Luckily for him, Justin was usually too preoccupied in their bed for his muse to strike during the all too infrequent visits to Britin.  He knew if he hesitated too long, Justin would get suspicious.

 

Evidently his definition and Justin's definition of too long did not coincide.  "Brian?"  Seeing Brian's consternation, Justin asked, "Is this another one of those 20 questions?"

 

Brian choked back a chuckle. It wasn't funny, and it was painfully laughable at best. Little twat that Justin was, he was still too smart for his own good. Brian picked up the remote, shutting off the movie and walked to the window as he ran his hand through his hair several times.  Looking out the window as the street filled with patrons of Liberty Avenue, he said, "It's complicated."

 

Turning toward Brian, Justin said, "It's complicated.  Brian, what about the last few days isn't complicated.  Will you or won't you take me to my studio?  I was hoping that seeing it would bring back some memories."  As he finished his statement, he stopped and listened to his words.  "I do have a studio still?  Right?  Gus said that he was going to paint with me."  Justin asked, the fear evident in his questions.  "Or are these paintings old?  Did something happen and I don't paint anymore?"  Justin got up from the couch as he finished his questions and paced the room, fearful of the answers to his questions.

 

Brian had not turned from the window but hearing the desperation in Justin's voice, he turned and saw Justin pacing the floor.  "Stop.  I'll have to refinish the floors if you keep pacing," he said with a little levity, hoping the sarcasm would break the tension.

 

Justin stopped and looked toward Brian, but did not repeat his questions. 

 

"You are still painting.  You painted the one in our bedroom a few months ago."

Justin let out his breath at the answer.  "But..."

 

"Your main studio is in New York," Brian said admitting that this Amnesia thing was damn difficult. 

 

Justin sat back down on the couch, trying to take in all that Brian had said. "I'm still painting but my studio is in New York. That must mean I live in New York.  But I thought we were together.  You're  ‘here' Why the fuck am I living in New York?"

 

"I told you it was complicated, Justin."

 

"I guess this is another one of those things you aren't going to answer?" Justin said as he laid his head in his hands.  "I think I need to go to bed.  Maybe when I wake up, I will remember everything."

 

Relieved that Justin did not want to continue the conversation, Brian eagerly said, "Sure.  It's been a fucking long day.  Sleep will be good for both of us."  Brian kissed Justin chastely on the lips and pulled him up from the couch. 

 

After finishing in the bathroom, Justin went to bed, leaving the duvet pulled over for Brian.  Waiting patiently for Brian, Justin closed his eyes and fell asleep before Brian came to bed.  When Brian came to the bedroom and saw Justin sleeping, he retreated to the kitchen.  It was early, only 10:00 so he got out his phone and hit 5 on his speed dial.

 

"Brian.  How's Justin.  What time do you think you'll be bringing him home tonight?  I've got an early showing tomorrow and wanted to get to bed soon."

 

"He's sleeping here," Brian said quietly, knowing that nothing was ever straight forward with him and Justin and this situation was no exception.

 

Jennifer hesitated before answering, measuring her words carefully.  "Do you think that's wise?"

 

"He's had a full day; he remembered quite a lot."

 

"I see."  Jennifer didn't want to pry but her motherly instincts were still on high alert.  "Brian...?" the question evident in her tone.

 

"We went to Mikey's this morning and he remembered Rage and the fiddler.  This afternoon we saw Gus who wanted to ‘do art stuff' with Justin.  He remembered some stuff with the Pink Posse and the oh so charming and treacherous Cody Bell.  He figured us out and then recognized his name on the big painting on our bedroom wall."  Brian tried to keep his voice neutral throughout the list, but it was obvious to Jennifer that some memories he could have done without. 

 

"I'm sorry, Brian.  I know Ethan was always a regret for both of you," Jennifer said with a little solicitation as she heard the pain in Brian's voice.  "Wait," she said as she realized what else he said.  "He remembered that you were together?  That's wonderful, Brian."

 

"Hence why he's asleep in our bed," Brian said somewhat tongue in cheek.

 

"I'm so happy for you.  I know this has been a very tough time for you."  She yawned but wanted to clarify one more item, so she ignored her tired body and continued.  "He recognized his signature.  So he knows he's an artist?"

 

Brian smiled at her intuitiveness.  She really could read between the lines.  "You're good, Jenn.  He saw his paintings; I have a few hanging in the place, but he still doesn't really remember that he paints.  He wanted to see his studio and wants me to take him there," Brian said.  Jennifer could hear the pain and bite in the words.

 

Nodding her head as she understood the implication of Justin's request, she felt again how frustrating and terrible this must be for Brian and for Justin.  "What are you going to do?  He doesn't really have a full studio here; only in New York."

 

Brian got a water out of the fridge and set the phone down as he twisted the top.  Taking a long drink, he picked up the phone and swallowed the water before continuing.  "I know.  I could take him to Britin, but that just might confuse him even more.  He's remembered a lot today and that's great.  Guess those doctors were wrong again or Sunshine just outsmarts them all."

 

Jennifer could hear the pride in his voice and marveled at the lengths this man was willing to go for her son.  She remembered his words after the bashing. ‘I care for him' and realized that she should have recognized how serious Brian was even at that time.  Brian and Justin were not the only ones who had regrets with that time in their lives.  "He's strong.  Remember Brian that underneath he's still Justin, the man who loves you with all his being." 

 

"I know.  Look, it's late.  I need to let you go.  I'll keep him safe."

 

"I know you will.  Call me and let me know how he's doing."

 

"Okay."

 

"Good night, Brian.  Get some rest yourself," she said as she smiled at her words. Brian was as much a part of her family as Justin and Molly and she wondered, not for the first time, when that change had occurred.

 

Brian hunted for his cigarettes.  While he had told Justin he had cut down, he felt tonight was a good reason to enjoy a few.  Going over to the liquor cart, he poured himself a few fingers of Beam and lit a cigarette.  He sat on the couch and just stared into space since he didn't want to turn the TV on and wake Justin.  For the first time in almost a week, he was feeling optimistic.  Justin was in his bed sleeping; a place where he actually belonged.  He knew some of his past;  although some of those memories were not ones he would have chosen for him.  Now he had some decisions to make and he feared that if he made the wrong one, it could turn out horribly wrong for everyone involved.

 

He finished his cigarette and drink and sat in the dark silence for a while, imagining all the scenarios and options he had. In the end, he decided that Justin was really steering this ship and he would defer to his partner to lead the way in this dark storm. He yawned and went to check that the alarm was set and the door locked, even though he'd done this a few hours ago.  Quietly he returned to bed where Justin automatically scooted up to him and he wrapped his arms around his blond, falling into a quick slumber.