- Text Size +

Carol continued to talk and didn't notice the silence from her dinner partners.  When the dinner plates were taken away she finished her wine and looked between Justin and Brian, finally realizing the lack of conversation on their part throughout the meal.

 

"Is something wrong?  You seem very quiet Justin."

 

"It's .. well... I..."

 

"Justin?" Carol scrutinized Justin's face, looking for any indication of his hesitancy.

 

"I'm  just overwhelmed.  I've worked for a long time, hoping to finally make it a show and now it's happening... it's surreal."

 

"You're very talented.  I know you've been working hard since you moved here two years ago.  I was beginning to worry when I had not heard from you these last few weeks.  I was planning on calling you on Monday."

 

"You didn't tell her?"  Justin looked at Brian, asking for confirmation.

 

"I called her and told her that you had been in a car accident." Brian looked at Justin, ignoring Carol and trying to send his assurances to his partner.

 

"Oh."  Justin relaxed a little, but was still slightly perturbed at Brian.

 

"Would someone care to share what you two are talking about?"  Carol asked as her eyes flitted between the two men.

 

"I called and told you that Justin was in an accident, but I didn't tell you he had some memory problems."  Brian was purposely elusive.

 

Carol waited for Brian to continue and reluctantly Brian provided more information.

 

"For a while, he didn't know that he painted.  He remembers now so it shouldn't be an issue," he said, choosing not to elaborate on all the events of the last few weeks.

 

"I see."  Carol nodded her head as she gave Justin a once over.  "But everything is okay now?" 

 

"I'm fine."  Justin said as he smiled his famous smile.  "Tell me more about the commitments for the show."

 

"You will need to have at least 15 paintings ready.  I want you to make the rounds of the upcoming shows.  It won't do to have you just show up for your own opening.  You need to support other artists as well, get a feel for the current art movement."  Carol looked at Justin, trying to determine if her words were penetrating and if he appeared to be agreeing with her strategy.

 

"While your work isn't meant to be cookie cutter of other artists, going to other shows can help you get a feel for openings....what happens, who attends, etc.  I'll be putting the buzz about town regarding your new show, but people need to have a face to put with the name.  You'll need to attend at least one show a week leading up to your opening.  Of course, I expect you to be available for some interviews with the press a few days prior to its opening.  The media needs to know who Justin Taylor is and be exposed to the man not just the art."

 

Brian swallowed some water, his wine glass long ago empty.  He felt his world turning upside down again.  He was ready to have Justin back home; close to him so he could paint and now the scenario was changing.  Justin needed to be here, in New York, courting his public and would be critics. 

 

"How long would I need to be in New York? I mean the prepublicity part?" Justin had listened to Carol's itinerary, a sinking feeling developing in his stomach as she described the activities he was supposed to attend.  He knew there would be other commitments if he got a show, but he didn't realize the extent of them.

 

"What do you mean, how long?  You live here?  Is there a problem?"  Carol looked perplexed and again felt like she was missing vital pieces of information.

 

"A few days?  A few weeks?  How long?"  Justin said as he clarified the question. He was getting a little nervous, but tried to stay calm. He fidgeted with his water glass, running his finger over the rim. 

 

"The show is in October, that's five months from now.  Starting at least in August, you would need to be seen once a month."  She saw both men nod their head in understanding and saw an unspoken communication between them.  She knew it had something to do with her answer, but she didn't understand what part she had to play in this saga.

 

"And I'd want to see you in the studio most every day.  I'd like to come see you at least once a week; keep an eye on your progress."  She was using her finger to tap on the table at each salient point.  "I'm sure there will be other opportunities for you to be seen and to prepare for the show, but you must start preparing for a new show as well.  I'm certain once the critics see your work, other galleries will be clamoring for their opportunity to have the up and coming work of Justin Taylor."  She smiled at Justin, happy for his success and thrilled that she would get to enjoy his rise to fame.

 

"Is this a typical commitment, Carol?"  Brian asked, trying to keep his voice neutral and not let any emotions shine through.  Since this was a key skill of Brian's, it wasn't too difficult for the question to seem innocuous enough, hiding his true query.  Brian picked up his water glass to take a sip, but frowned when he realized it was empty.  He put it down and looked at Carol for an answer to his question.

 

"Yes, for a new comer to the field.  Once Justin is established, he can cut back somewhat on his appearances, but in the beginning, he needs to be seen and the press needs to recognize him.  It is utterly essential to his success." She waved to the waiter for more water and took a sip as soon as he left the table.

 

Justin squirmed in his seat, uncomfortable with the direction this discussion was progressing.  I finally convince Brian that I need to be in the same city in order for me to produce great work and now Carol is totally undermining my words and efforts to return to Brian.  Will Brian believe our earlier conversation?  I told him I couldn't paint without him; yet Carol is extolling my work and saying it is brilliant.  I know the great pieces were ones I painted in Brian's presence and I hope that Brian wouldn't question this new development.

 

"Carol, if I came to the city on a regular basis, say once every 10 days or so and stayed for 3 days, would that be enough for the press?"  He'd been calculating the bare minimum for him to be away and thought these numbers would suffice.  Looking over at Brian, he smiled trying to convey his meaning behind the question and knowing that Brian would most likely fight him on this issue.

 

"It wouldn't be ideal, but I guess it would be sufficient.  Is there something you aren't telling me?  Brian said you were fine.  Was he lying, Justin?"  She frowned deeply, worried that her new protégé was not going to be the media darling she anticipated.  He had charmed her immediately with his smile and poise and she was convinced he was at the cusp of becoming critically acclaimed.  She had a talent for picking out promising artists and working with them to be accepted in the New York art world.  Rarely, had she been wrong.

 

"I'm fine.  It's just most of the pieces that you showed to Bretano's were ones I painted while in Pittsburgh.  The few pieces I painted here were ones that I started while Brian was visiting.  When he isn't here, I'm really stuck.  I want to return to Pittsburgh to paint."  Justin hated putting the information out there for Carol to scrutinize, but he wanted to be truthful with her.  She had stayed with him for the last year, urging him and grooming him to enter New York art society.  She had molded him into an artist the media was interested in viewing and he didn't want to let her down, nor did he want all her work to be waylaid either.

 

Carol studied her protégé and for the first time she looked at him carefully. There was a definite shine to his personality when he was with Brian and his voice was more animated.  It appeared that his partner was indeed responsible for his happiness.  She could see where Justin wanted to be with his partner as he did appear happier than she had seen him in the past. She recalled a few meetings in the last month where she had begun to question her decision to represent Justin, but now thought she understood what he'd been handling with his partner in another city.

 

"This is an unusual challenge, but I think we can work it out.  If you promise me that you'll be in New York several times a month and attend gallery openings and be seen by the press, then I think it will be possible.  I must ask, do you have a place to paint in Pittsburgh?"

 

"I do.  It is the most amazing space. Sky light in the ceilings and huge windows to let the sun in for natural light.  I have space to hang big canvasses as well as room to store my finished pieces.  It is a better studio then I could ever afford here."  Justin said.  He beamed as he described the studio at Britin, glad that Brian had finished the space for "the future".  It appeared that "the future" was now and he would get to use the space on a regular basis.   He smiled when he realized it meant he and Brian would definitely be living at Britin.

 

"I'll have to come to Pittsburgh to see this studio.  It sounds too good to be true." She said as she teased Justin gently for his waxing poetic regarding his studio space.

 

"We would love to have you.  It's in our home in West Virginia.  We have plenty of guests rooms and I know you would enjoy the scenery."  Turning to Brian, he said, "Carol, you can come to Britin in three weeks and I'll have some new work for you by then.  That should ease your concerns about the arrangement."

 

Carol took out her IPhone and looked at her calendar, finding a block of three days where she was free.  The first one was in a month.

 

"Tell you what.  I'll give you a month, give you time to settle in and then paint.  I'll drive down for three days and you can show me this studio and I'll spend a day with you.  We can work on a schedule for when you to come to New York."  She clicked on the entry after confirming with Justin that the days were acceptable.

 

Looking around the restaurant, they saw there were only two other tables that were occupied.  Carol waved for the check.

 

"It's been a pleasure seeing you again, Brian.  Justin, I hope for both our sakes this plan works and I will see you in a few weeks."  Carol paid the check and left a tip for the waiter, stood up and left the two men at the table. 

 

"You have it all figured out in your head, don't you Sunshine?"  Brian asked, a little teasing in his voice.  He reached out and put his hand on Justin's hand.  "You'll paint in Pittsburgh and have the New York critics eating out of your palm."

 

"Well, that's the idea... but you don't think this will work?"  Justin asked, surprised by Brian's teasing and uneasy for the first time this evening. He wasn't sure whether he was hearing just loving teasing or actual sarcasm. It had been a whirlwind of a conversation and he was still trying to make sense of it all.

 

"The restaurant is almost empty and we need to leave.  We can continue this conversation at the hotel."  Brian stood up and smiled at the waiter as he placed his hand on Justin's back and led him out of the restaurant. 

 

Catching a cab to their hotel, they retreated to their room and Brian went straight to the mini bar to pour himself a shot of Beam.  He motioned for Justin who signaled that he wanted a shot as well.  Brian placed the drinks on the table while he went to the bedroom to change from his dress clothes into jeans and a wife beater.  Justin also changed into jeans and a t-shirt and then joined Brian on the couch in the living area. 

 

"This is so exciting.  I can't believe I'm going to have a show.  I can paint at Britin and come to New York a few times a month."

 

Brian took a sip of his drink as he looked at Justin who was practically bouncing off the couch. 

 

"It is exciting, but are you ready for this, Justin?"  Brian asked calmly, even though he was anything but calm.  He could feel the tension in his chest at the changes that were coming into his and Justin's life again.

 

"It's what I've thought about every day for the last 7 years.  Of course, I'm sure."

Justin finished his drink put his glass down on the table and moved closer to Brian.

 

Normally Brian would respond to Justin's advances without thinking, but this time he didn't.

 

"You told me on the way to the airport that you aren't 100%,...said you often had to rewind the conversations in your head to be sure you were correct." Brian didn't continue his speech, knowing Justin would fill in the unspoken words, even if he didn't want to do so.

 

"But I won't have to be back in New York for a month.  That gives me four weeks to improve.  I'll work with Daphne to help my memory."

 

"Daphne won't work with you.  She's too close, but she can recommend someone."

 

"Don't you want to see me succeed?  You don't appear happy for me."  Justin asked Brian, realizing for the first time that Brian was lackluster in his enthusiasm.

 

"I want you happy.  Always have and always will.  If you hadn't had your accident, I just wonder if you would have wanted to come home."

 

"I already told you I had decided to come home before my accident."

 

"That's where my concern is, Justin.  One minute you're telling me you can't paint and are miserable and the next you're the star of the New York Art World and can do anything.  If Carol hadn't called, where would we be at this time?"

 

Justin finished his drink and stood up as he felt the anger and disappointment stir in his body.  He paced the hotel room a few times as he gathered his thoughts.

 

"I don't know how to answer you Brian.  I don't know if I can say anything that would convince you that I'm sure about this decision. You said I could paint at Britin for 6 months and you would support me.  Has that changed now that I have a show?"

 

"No."

 

"Ok.  I'm coming home to paint and will go to New York a few times a month.  End of discussion."  Justin turned toward Brian, his arms crossed in front of his chest and shot daggers with his eyes as he defiantly looked at Brian.

 

"You are still one of the most stubborn men I know.  We'll try it your way and see what happens."  Brian left the couch and walked toward the sleeping area.  "It's been a long day and I'm tired."

 

Justin nodded and joined him, too tired to continue their disagreement tonight.

 

TBC