- Text Size +

The sun shone through the curtains of their hotel, bathing the room in brightness as Brian woke from his respite after their lovemaking.  His brain catalogued all the many stops and tasks they needed to accomplish before returning to Pittsburgh and then started a new list of activities for them once they were in Pittsburgh.  Gently, he extricated himself from among Justin's limbs, amazed how he managed to entwine the two of them in just a short time.  Sometimes he thought Justin was part octopus. 

 

Picking his cell phone off the night stand, he hit the button to see the time, noting it was approaching noon.  Padding over to the small table in the other part of the suite, he turned on his laptop and checked his mail at Kinnetik and sent Cynthia and Ted some information they'd need for the next few days.  He hoped it would only take a few days in New York to set up Justin, but he wanted to be sure.  Just as he was finishing his last email, he heard Justin stir in the bed, 

 

"Hello, sleepyhead," he teased.  "Are you ready to face the world now that you made up for the beauty sleep you missed out on last night worrying about your future?"

 

Justin grabbed the pillow from Brian's side of the bed and threw it at his partner even though Brian was way too far for the pillow to reach him.

 

Brian smirked and said, "I take that as a yes.  We need to get dressed and go to your apartment.  See if Jake managed to clean up the place like I asked. He said he'd stop by there every few days so it wouldn't look empty.  Wouldn't want and squatters to be living there while you gone," he said, explaining how Justin's apartment was going to be cleaner than he usually kept it. "We need to look for a better apartment.  If we are going to be spending 2-3 days at a time here, I refuse to spend them in that place.  I'm not going to spend time in a place decorated with Goodwill rejects and your family and friend's castoffs.  And that thing you call a bed..."

 

"I like my apartment and I can't really afford anything more expensive," Justin said before he realized the needlessness of the comment.

 

"Justin...." Brian said as he gave Justin his raised eyebrow look which said more than any words could convey.

 

"Oh, Ok.  I guess this falls under you supporting me for a while?"  Justin looked at the bed as he pulled the covers toward the pillows.  He knew he'd agreed to this arrangement before he knew about the art show, but it still bothered him.  "Although, I've got a show coming up; that means I'll have money.  So you won't have to support me for long, and then I can try and find a better apartment."

 

Brian walked over to the bed where Justin was still standing and took his hand, lifting his chin.  He smiled a small smile and gently kissed Justin before letting go of his chin.

 

"I always keep my word, Justin.  You of all people should know that.  If I say I will support you for six months while you devote yourself to your art, then I will support you.  I don't want to worry that you're working crazy hours to support yourself and then be in an accident on your way home."

 

"But the accident was just that."

 

"You wouldn't have been in the cab if you weren't working that j..."  Brian bit back the word stripper as he found the idea too distasteful to say out loud.  "And by your own admittance, you were working that "gig" because it made more money than any job you found.  So I will say it again and then we will not discuss this anymore.  I told you that I would support you for six months while you work on your art and you will return to Pittsburgh, where your inspiration resides.  Clear?" 

 

It was obvious to Justin that no amount of arguing, blow jobs or any other trick he'd learn was going to change Brian's mind.  He also knew that money really wasn't that important to Brian and he let the subject drop.

 

"So... I'm moving.  That sucks.  I have some really good friends in the area."

 

"They can come visit you at your new place."  Brian said as he inwardly smiled at his triumph.  He really didn't want to argue with Justin and he truly didn't like the shit hole Justin lived in nor did he feel that Justin was safe there.  He wanted a place in a better neighborhood and at least he wouldn't feel his skin crawl when they came for their visits to New York. 

 

"I hate moving.  Packing all my stuff and unpacking it," Justin said as he went to the bathroom picking up his toothbrush. 

 

Brian shook his head at Justin's statement.  He'd been to Justin's apartment and there wasn't much that needed to come with him.  He had some pictures and mementos, but for the most part, his stuff had been picked up at second hand stores or was discards from friends and family.  He knew Justin had grown up in the country club set and was used to nice things, but he guessed that Justin decided eating was more important than having your dishes match.

 

Brian followed Justin into the bathroom where he also brushed his teeth and recombed his hair, getting rid of the slight bedhead he acquired during their escapades this morning.

 

"You amaze me, Justin.  We could pack all that you need in 2 hours tops from that place you call an apartment.  Most everything in there came from someone else.  Not only do you have to visit galleries and make yourself seen, you need to start acting like the artist you want to be.  That includes having a nice apartment and nice clothes.  You will probably need to entertain a little so having a decent place is important as dressing well.  Sometimes life really is a self- fulfilling prophecy."

 

Justin was going to try and refute Brian's words, but decided against it when he quickly catalogued the contents of his apartment.  "Ok.  So does that mean you and I will go shopping for the new apartment?"  Justin teased Brian as he knew that his and Brian's tastes were very different.

 

"Twat.  That is what online catalogues are for.  We can order everything you need in an hour on line.  We don't have all day to furnish your apartment with Ikea crap."

 

"Hmm, there might be some advantages to this arrangement after all," Justin teased.  He combed his hair and looked in the mirror, deciding he was ready for the day.  "I want to see Jake, thank him for all he's done -  you know."

 

<i> All he's done.  Yeah.  Like get you hooked up with that disaster of a job as a damn stripper.  I have a few words for him, and ‘thank you' definitely wouldn't be on the top of the list.</i>  "Well. He has been taking care of your apartment for the last few weeks while you remembered your past. Give him a call.  See if he can meet us at your apartment and when.  We can plan our day accordingly."

 

Justin got dressed in a pair of khaki cargo pants and a blue button down plaid shirt.  He looked like a typical college student, not the man whose work was going to be in a prestigious art museum in a few months.  Brian cringed and knew he would have to add clothes shopping to the list of places they would need to go before returning to Pittsburgh.  Reaching for his phone, he scrolled down until he found Jake's number and clicked to dial. 

 

"Jake Carter."

 

"Hey Jake, its Justin.  Good to hear your voice."

 

"Justin.  Wow.  It's good to hear your voice, too, man.  Where are you?  You still in Pittsburgh?  Are you coming back to New York?  What are you up to?"

 

Justin laughed at the rapid fire questions.  He watched Brian watch him talk on the phone and felt a little odd.  He wasn't sure why he felt odd, he never minded Brian hearing his conversations in the past.  He wasn't keeping anything from him, but he guessed it was Brian's feelings about his job and the fact Jake had helped him obtain it.  Regardless, Jake was his friend and he wasn't going to let Brian interfere in that friendship, if he could help it.

 

"Slow down.  Brian and I are in New York for a few days.  Are you available to meet?  We're going to the apartment this evening; we can catch up then."

 

"Cool.  I'm actually getting ready to go into a rehearsal for a show off off off Broadway, but it's a start.  Rehearsal should end about 6, so why don't we say 7:30.  That'll give me time to get back and shower and change."

 

"7:30 it is and Jake, it's so good to hear your voice."

 

"Jake will meet us at the apartment at 7:30."  Justin looks at his phone seeing it is almost 1:00.  "That gives us about 6 hours to do stuff and then catch the bus to the apartment."  Justin quickly calculated the bus routes from their location to his apartment, something he'd gotten very good at in the past few years.

 

"Taking a cab will do just fine.  I'm not wasting my time with any bus or subway.  We have a lot to take care of in a short time."  Brian smirked as he looked at Justin as he placed his hand at the small of his back, leading him out the door of the suite.  "Make sure you put the sign requesting cleaning service on the door, the last thing I want is to come back to unmade room."

 

While Justin had been sleeping in, Brian had contacted a local real estate office and they had a 2:00 pm appointment.  He'd explained what he was looking for and hoped the person he was assigned to was half as good as Jennifer.  He hoped there were at least a few properties that he and Justin could agree on.

 

As they were riding down the elevator, Justin's stomach growled.  Brian shot him a bemused look, but didn't say a word, instead steering him to a corner sandwich shop that he'd eyed on the way home last night. 

 

"Choose your poison, Justin.  We have a 2:00 pm appointment at Anchor Associates and I don't want to be late."

 

Justin's mouth opened in surprise and he started to ask Brian questions, but Brian shook his head.

 

"No time for questions.  I did a little research while you were recovering your beauty sleep.  They have a good reputation and are known for good service.  In addition, they have both residential and commercial properties so maybe we can find you a studio that doesn't border the alley and a reasonable place for us to land when you must come into the city."

 

"I don't need a studio here, that's why I'm moving back to Pittsburgh," Justin said reminding Brian of the whole reason that started this adventure.

 

"If you're certain, then we will just look for an apartment.  It will give us more time to find a suitable place.  I imagine you won't need to keep anything,  but a few sketchbooks and some pencils and charcoal in town."  Brian took his sandwich and found a small table in the back for two. 

 

Justin unwrapped his sandwich and took several bites, nodding his head at Brian's statements.  He put down his sandwich and wiped his mouth and then took a drink from his soda.

 

"You said it yourself Brian when you took me to Britin.  I didn't paint there very often as I was there so infrequently.  I'm planning to be in New York a few days at a time to make the necessary meetings that Carol wants me to have.  I won't have much time to paint.  While I'm here I'll be attending other openings, looking at current exhibits, or doing the behind scenes prep.  If I had a studio here, I wouldn't venture out to do those things as I'd be painting, and I don't want to paint here because that would keep me here longer than necessary."

 

Brian ate his turkey on whole wheat, no mayo and was pleased that it didn't taste like cardboard.  He watched as Justin enthusiastically ate his roast beef hoagie and marveled not for the first time where he put all the food without gaining an ounce.  When Justin was finished, he saw him looking at the order board.

 

"Want a dessert?  We have a few minutes still."

 

"No, thanks.  Nothing really sounds good.  I'll wait till tonight.  I'm sure the food will not be sandwiches if I know Brian Kinney."

 

"Twat," Brian said as he gathered his trash and walked toward the front of the shop and they grabbed a cab.

 

TBC