- Text Size +

Justin walked off the airplane and entered JFK.  Stretching his legs, he was happy to be off the airplane.  While not as tall as Brian he still finds airline seats confining.  The noise from the thousands of people at nearby gates is almost deafening.  More than 200 people on the plane, thousands of people in the airport and seemingly even more near the gate.  He doesn't listen to the conversations going around him, but is still assaulted by the noise.

He glances at his fellow travelers and the sea of color that they swim in.  A young woman wearing a bright red clingy dress catches his eye as she teeters on her four inch spike heels.  Another young man holds a black leather jacket close to him as he walks quickly toward the baggage terminal.  He briefly wonders where they are going, but he is on a time deadline and moves toward the cab area.

As an artist he is naturally a people watcher and he is brought back to the game that he and Daphne used to play.  They would identify someone in a crowd, usually at the mall and make up a back story for them.  It was an interesting way to pass the time.  Sometimes they would surreptitiously follow the person in the crowd, noting where they went and what they bought or who they talked to.  They would laugh and giggle as they whiled away the day.  He fondly remembers those carefree days but smiles as he realizes that his life is pretty good these days and he is truly happy.

Grabbing a cab, he directs the driver to Carol's office where he greets her secretary. He sits in the waiting area and admires the few pieces of art hanging on the walls.  He wonders if he will ever go into a business and see his art hanging.  He smiles to himself when he realizes that he can already do this when he walks into Kinnetik, but he doesn't think that counts.

"Justin, why don't you come in?"  Carol ushers him into her office.  She has a large white table to the side of her desk where she has his slides set out.  "I see you have been busy."  She picks up the sheet showcasing some of his recent work.

"I told you that I could do it.  Do you feel better about my return to Pittsburgh?" He tapped the table with his finger as he anxiously waits for her response.

She studied the sheets for a few moments and nodded her head.  "Your work is exquisite, some of your best work; its innovative and bright.  I can feel your excitement just looking at the pieces."

"So you're happy with the pieces.  How many pieces do I need to have on hand?"

"The more you have the better. I have a feeling that this show will just be a start and I will have galleries clamoring for your work.  I'll expect you to keep your word and be available for shows and interviews. We have to get the world to know who Justin Taylor is."  She smiled as she put her hand on Justin's hand.

He smiled at her, safe in the knowledge that his decision was a good one.  He couldn't wait to tell Brian how happy Carol was with his work. 

"Bretano's is expecting you tomorrow for a tour.  Start thinking how you might want to hang your work. I want you to look at the exhibit that is hanging now, it's from a fairly new artist as well.   I have the interviews with several critics set up for you in the morning on Thursday.  They will be meeting with you at the museum at 9:00.  You should be done by 11:00."  She continued to view the slides, making notes on her sheet regarding ones she wanted to showcase.

"Next month when you visit I'll want you to attend an opening for one of my artists.  And I'll want to see more of your work."

"This is really exciting, Carol.  I still have to shake myself to be sure I'm not dreaming."

"You are definitely not dreaming. This is real.  We're done for now.  I'll talk to you next week."

Justin leaves Carol's office, a smile on his face.  Looking at the clock in the lobby of the building, he sees that it is almost noon and he is supposed to meet Jake at 1:00 at his old apartment.  He grabs a bus and takes it to the stop in front of his old building.  He'd chosen the building for the close proximity to the bus line and is thankful as the wind is whipping up and he does not cherish having to be out in the elements for long.  Again, his mind goes back to Pittsburgh where he and Brian have a nice garage and he can drive right up to the home and not get assaulted by wind, rain or snow.  He also relishes the thought that when he finishes a canvas, he will not have to expose it to the elements as he transports it.   

The sights and sounds of the neighborhood surround him in a familiar envelope.  The smell of exhaust as well as the scent of corned beef from the deli around the corner hits his nostrils and his stomach growled in recognition of the delicious aroma.  Two children played with a ball in front of the apartment building and the ball rolled toward Justin when one missed the catch. Justin picked it up and threw it back to them.  They yelled "thanks" back and continued their game. 

Justin walked up the steps to the building silently counting the eight steps without consciously realizing it.  Opening the door he walked to the old elevator and punched the number five and waited for the short ride to Jake's floor.  A door slammed in the background and he heard some yelling as well.  He recognized the familiar voices as the Thompsons who always seemed to be having some type of disagreement.  He'd been woken up several times by their noise and he was glad that he didn't have to listen to their arguments any more. 

Knocking on Jake's door, he barely had time to put his hand down when the door was opened and Jake engulfed him in a gigantic hug. 

"Hey man.  So glad you're here."

Justin's stomach took that opportunity to rumble again and Jake gave him a knowing look.

"The Taylor beast is speaking.  Let's go down to the deli and grab some sandwiches and you can tell me all about moving back to  big, bad, Pittsburgh."

Justin laughed and stepped back from the door so Jake could join him in the hall.  Jake locked the door and the two friends walked toward the elevator and then to the deli.  They ordered and then sat down at a small table for two while their sandwiches were being made.

"I was so happy when you called the other day.  We barely had time to talk when you were here a few weeks ago.  I still can't believe I'm living in your old place and you're in Pittsburgh.  I will say your apartment is a whole lot nicer than the dump I had."  Jake played with the napkin box on the table and listened for their number to be called. 

"16," the young man behind the deli counter yelled out.

Justin looked at the receipt and said, "That's us."  He went to pick up their sandwiches.  Opening the wrapper he looked at the first one and gave it to Jake as it was a roast beef sandwich and then opened the wrapper of his own sandwich and took a bite.  Bliss came over his face as he tasted the corned beef.

"I do miss this.  I can't find anywhere that makes a good corned beef sandwich like they do at Meyers."  He took several more bites before drinking some Coke and then laid his sandwich down to talk to his friend.

"So how are you?"

"It's been good and bad since returning.  Brian's two closest friends have been hounding him that I shouldn't be there and I should return to New York."

"Shit.  They're his closest friends.  I'd hate to see his enemies."

"Well.  There's a lot of history there.  Linds, she's the mother of his son, was the one who got me to come here in the first place with tales of fame and fortune.  I really think she has this fantasy about her and Brian and with me in the picture it spoils the vision."  He took another bite of his sandwich as he gathered more of his thoughts. 

"But I thought the mother of his child was a lesbian?"  Jake asked, his confusion following the connection in the "family" obvious.

"She is, but I secretly think she still envisions this happy little family with a white picket fence and 2.4 children and Brian as the father."

"I've never understood that 2.4 children thing.  Either they're going to have some woman perpetually pregnant or they cut the kids in half.  Either way, it's creepy."  They both shared a laugh at that. Jake finished his Coke and decided he needed a refill since he still had half a sandwich left.  He walked to the soda fountain and refilled his glass and returned to the table.

"How's your painting going?  Did moving back to Pittsburgh really get your juices flowing again?"

Justin laughed and nodded at the double entendre, knowing his friend meant every word of the innuendo. His mind quickly remembered last night after dinner and a quick flush stained his cheeks. 

Jake punched his arm as he watched his friend blush.

"So I take it they flowed in the bedroom and the studio?"

"Carol was thrilled with the slides I brought in.  I've got to go to Bretano's tomorrow and then the next day I have to do a meet and greet with some critics.  You know I really have a love/ hate feeling about critics.  They can make or break you but they can be so pretentious too."  Justin got quiet and Jake could see the contemplation on his friend's face. 

"Hey.  At least for the rest of the day, we're here to hang, no critics, no "so called friends of Brian's" just the two of us against the world.  Just like old times.  I've got the new Halo game.  Why don't we go back to the apartment and play this afternoon and then you can go with me to my gig tonight."

Justin finished his sandwich and drank the last of his coke.  He patted his stomach in contentment and smiled at his friend.

"It's a plan.  Let's do it.  Gus loves his Xbox and I play with him sometimes.  He's been after Linds to buy him Halo but she's been reluctant- says it's too violent."  He picked up his trash as did Jake and they left the deli and walked back to the apartment.

They spent the afternoon in front of the Xbox, occasionally getting up to grab a beer or go to the bathroom, but enjoyed the time together.   As daylight waned in the apartment, Jake wistfully looked at his friend and their game.

"This will be it for us.  I've got to shower and get ready.  You need anything?"

"No.  Where's the gig?  It feels weird to be here in the apartment watching you get ready, knowing I don't have a gig too.  Remember how we used to meet up after our gigs sometimes, swap stories about the recipients?"

"Yeah.  I miss those days.  Sure you can't convince Brian to move here so we can hang out more often?"  Jake asked, half teasing, half serious.

"Not a chance.  His business is there but more importantly, that is where Gus is.  He was so thrilled when Mel and Linds returned to Pittsburgh.  Gus is getting to the age where he needs a father and Brian really wants to be there for him.  But, you are welcome to come to Pittsburgh any time you want.  We have plenty of guest rooms."

"I may just take you up on your offer, but right now, if I don't get dressed I won't get to work and without working I can't afford to do anything."

Justin pulled out his phone as he sat on the couch.

"Hey," Brian answered as he recognized the number.

"Hey.  Did you have a good meeting?"

"Of course.  I didn't expect your call till later. Everything okay?"  Brian asked, hating to acknowledge his unspoken fears.

"I'm good.  Jake is getting ready and I missed you.  I know, lesbian.  But I figured you would be done for the day and it's too early for you to go out.  Thought I would try."

"Twat."  Brian didn't add any other comment; he knew Justin could fill in the words.

"I'll call tonight to say good night."  Justin said the last words in a silky tone, alluding to the phone sex he was hoping to have when he returned from his night with Jake.

"I'll be ready.  At least we are in the same time zone."

"Later."

"Later."

"You ready?"  Jake came out of the bedroom, dressed in his white shirt and black pants and carried a bag with his costume.

"Where we headed?"

"Casa Bella in Little Italy."

"Okay.  I think I could eat out every meal in New York for a year and still not go to every place."

"See, another reason you should get Brian to move here.  Just think of all the great food you could eat."

"He would bitch about all the places that had carbs and how he couldn't find anywhere to eat. Then when he did eat, he would tell me he would have to spend more time on the treadmill to burn off those extra calories."  Justin laughed at his explanation as he could hear Brian saying just those words.

"He must be some special guy if you put up with that nonsense," Jake said with a smile, knowing how Justin felt about Brian.

They had taken the subway and walked the few blocks to the gig.  Justin found a small table to the back of the room where the party was being held and ordered a beer.  He watched the guests as they laughed and joked with each other.  Around 9:00, a man wearing tight fitting black slacks and a red silk shirt stood up and the guests quieted down.

"Happy Birthday, Sam.  We've bought you a special present today.  Love you." The man kissed another man who was sitting at the edge of a table and then he sat down next to him and gave him a big hug.

The familiar music turned on and Justin watched as Jake did his "birthday greeting".  Justin looked at the patrons, soon becoming uncomfortable watching his friend do a strip tease.  He watched in fascination as many of the men were unconsciously licking their lips and had their mouths open. Some were rearranging their cocks, trying to make room for their cocks as they grew hard.  Guys were really being turned on.  Brian had been so adamant that he not dance anymore and he was still a little confused by his reaction.  If truth be told it really wasn't any different than having guys watch them in the back room.  He guessed that Brian was being a little possessive and didn't want other men touching him.  In the backroom it was just the two of them.  He smiled at Brian's apparent jealous streak, but knew better to say anything about it.

As he watched the men, he felt that he was being watched himself.  Looking around, he didn't see any familiar faces, fearing that "his stalker" had maybe found another target.  He was relieved that no one was familiar and he just put it down to familiar territory.  There were definite advantages of memory loss; he didn't remember the stalker after his accident but now those memories had returned.  He was being paranoid.  This was Jake's gig and there was no reason to think "the stalker" had found him and was watching him again.  He fidgeted in his seat and played with his beer bottle, darting his eyes around the room several times and was unaware of the passage of time.

Jake came up to him, tapped him on the shoulder and he nearly knocked over his chair in fear.

"Ready to leave?"  Jake looked at Justin and saw the deer in the headlights look in his eyes.  "Hey man.  You okay?  You look like you saw a ghost or something.  I didn't think about it, but you're not having a flash back or something, are you?  I'm sorry man.  I should never have brought you.  Probably brought back memories of your last gig.  I'm so stupid."

Justin stood up and took a deep breath.  He could feel the perspiration pooling under his shirt and around his collar.  He damned his body and the adrenaline coursing through his veins. 

"No.  I'm fine.  It's just hot in here with all these people," Justin said quickly, hoping to bluff his way out of the situation.

"Ok.  Let's head home.  I want to shower and then we can play some more Halo."

"Sounds good to me.  I'll shower too."

They left the restaurant and walked toward the subway.  Justin heard footsteps behind them and kept turning his head to look at the sidewalk. After the third time, Jake put his hand on Justin's arm and Justin startled.

"Okay.  Justin Taylor, there is something going on.  Why don't you tell me the truth? 

Relieved to be able to talk, Justin nodded and gave Jake a half smile.

"We'll talk when we get back to the apartment."

Jake shook his head and touched Justin again on the arm, giving him a slight squeeze.

"Okay.  I'm holding you to it."  They walked to the subway entrance and did not speak during the short ride to Jake's apartment.

 

TBC