- Text Size +

Justin lay in bed cocooned in Brian's embrace.  None of their friends would believe that Brian Kinney was a cuddler, but they often slept wrapped around each other.  The sense of rightness and commitment between the two men was evidenced even in their sleep.  Justin didn't want to disturb Brian and lay quietly and tried in vain to get his mind to quiet as well. 

He thought about Brian's unexpected arrival at the house and realized that Daphne had talked to him.  Part of him was angry that she had done so, but he was also very thankful that his friend did what he had wanted to do for a long time.  Her unconditional love and acceptance had led her to Brian and he had done what he always did, attempt to fix whatever was wrong.  Unfortunately, Justin wondered if Brian would be able to fix the problem this time.  Brian had attempted to make his point yesterday and while Justin appreciated the session, he doubted that Brian's words were enough this time to change the outcome of his life.  For now, he would try to please Brian and do as he asked. 

"I hear you thinking," Brian said as he lay next to Justin.

"You cannot hear me thinking that's impossible."

"But you always tell me I'm impossible," Brian said, the teasing evident in his voice.  He kissed Justin's neck and inhaled the scent of his partner.

"mmmm"

"I seem to have a little problem here.  Instead of worrying about your meeting with Carol, why don't you worry about satisfying your partner?"  Brian pushed his body into Justin's back, letting him feel his morning hard on.

Justin turned around and gave Brian a good morning kiss and then slid down under the blanket to take care of Brian's little problem.  After enjoying his morning protein, he slid up to kiss Brian, sharing a little of his cum with him.  

"Speaking of problems, I seem to have one as well.  Think you take care of it for me?"  Justin asked as he took one of Brian's hands and placed it on his cock.

"I think that can be arranged.  I like to take care of your problems."  Brian proceeded to give a reciprocal blow job and quickly satisfied his partner. Neither commented on the obvious double meaning of Brian's words.

They lay in bed for a few minutes and Brian pulled back the blanket.

"What'd you do that for?"  Justin asked, trying to pull the blankets back over his body.

"We came to New York to address some other problems you seem to be having. Can't exactly do that from the bed in our hotel room.  Time to shower and go see Carol.  She's expecting us and while she may be your agent and accepts artists eccentricities, I doubt she would want to be greeted by the smell of my cum on you."  Brian sniffed appreciatively as he gave Justin a last kiss, but smiled as he hit Justin's arm.

Justin nodded and slowly got out of bed, sorry to see their short-lived happiness come to a quick end.

"You're walking like you're going to a firing squad.  Do I have to remind you again of our little discussion yesterday?"  Brian said as he watched Justin walk towards the bathroom where Brian was preparing the shower.

"No," Justin said quietly and stepped into the shower.

Turning around so Brian could wash his hair, he grabbed the shampoo bottle and handed it to him. 

"Talk to me, Justin. What is really going on in that blond head of yours?"  Brian popped the top of the shampoo and poured some into his hand.

"I want you to be proud of me and I want to be your equal.  You've always been successful and ...." Justin couldn't bring himself to say the words.  Even speaking the words were too scary and he was afraid it would give Brian ideas.

"I am proud of you."  Brian leaned down and kissed his neck.  "You were in a damn car accident less than three months ago and you didn't even know who I was and look at us now; you're living with me and we're partners."

"But I decided to come back; didn't really give you a say in the decision."

"How many times do we need to have this discussion?  I don't do anything that I don't want to do.  If I didn't want you living with me, you wouldn't be."  Brian turned Justin around and looked him in the eye.  "Drama Princess.  Why did I have to fall in love with the biggest Princess in Pittsburgh?"

Justin looked at Brian and tried to process what he'd just heard.  Brian said he loved him. He opened his mouth to respond and then closed it.  He stood there for what seemed like 5 minutes but was probably only 20 seconds.   He knew he was treading on thin ground as it was, but he decided he had to know.

"You love me?"  Justin's voice was soft, filled with awe.

"Twat.  Of course, I love you.  I wouldn't be here if I didn't; I'd be in Pittsburgh running Kinnetik; you know the business that supports your lavish lifestyle."

"You love me,"  Justin repeated himself, allowing the words and feelings to sink in.

Shaking his head and grabbing the loofah to wash Justin's skin, he smiled at his partner.  "Sometimes I wonder if you paid someone to take your SAT's because you seem to come to the most bizarre conclusions and you can't see the obvious even when it is right in front of you." 

"Thank you."

"While I just love to have these little enlightening talks, we need to get out of here."  Brian handed Justin the loofah and turned off the water.  "Let's try something novel, shall we?"

Justin waited for Brian's directions.

"Listen to me and believe in yourself.  You're a talented and gifted man.  I wouldn't be here if I didn't think it was worth our time.  And yes, that is OUR time.  I know you are going places in this world and you just have to get over these unfounded fears."  Brian slapped Justin's ass.  "Now go get dressed and put on something besides your cargo pants.   I'm going to order breakfast and call Ted."

Justin's fears weren't quite relieved, but hearing Brian's confidence and reassurance in him, them, their partnership and love certainly helped him feel better. He got dressed in a pair of navy blue pants and a white shirt, conservative and boring but he really never did care what he looked like, clothes being Brian's forte, not his.  He could hear Brian talking on the phone, but did not try to hear the conversation; not only was it rude, but it was most likely Kinnetik business and something he did not need to know. 

The knock on the door reminded him that breakfast was coming and he opened it to let in the delivery person.  After tipping him he wheeled the cart into the main area of the sitting room of the suite and opened the containers to see what Brian had ordered them.  He quickly placed their dishes on the table in their room; the white egg omelet for Brian and the pancakes and scrambled eggs for himself.  He poured Brian some coffee, giving it time to cool off and poured himself some orange juice.  He waved at Brian to tell him the food was here and Brian waved back for him to start eating.  The smell of the food made Justin realize he hadn't eaten since the pizza the afternoon before and he was hungry.  Digging into the pancakes, he ate half of them before Brian joined him.

Brian finished his omelet and toast and after pouring cream and two sugars into his coffee he drank it.  Brian watched Justin eat his pancakes and as usual marveled at his ability to consume so much food and rarely work out.  They finished and wheeled the cart out in the hall.

"Let's go."

"Can't we just hole up in here and have sex all day.  It would be more fun?"  Justin teased, although he was half serious.

"Nope.  I promise to fuck you to the mattress when we're done with Carol."  Brian gave Justin a  chaste kiss but pulled away before they could go farther.

"Promise?"  Justin sighed as he realized that this time the promise of all-day sex was not going to sway Brian.

"If you behave, you will be rewarded," Brian said tongue in cheek. Brian watched Justin as he walked out of the hotel room and carefully closed the door behind them. 

Grabbing a cab to Carol's office, they were both silent and looked out at the passing New York views. They arrived at Carol's office and Justin had a hard time looking at Brian.  Brian took his chin in his hand and turned his head toward him.

"You paint beautiful pictures and you are a gifted and talented man." Brian kissed him before they walked into the suite.

Walking up to the assistant, Brian said, "Justin Taylor to see Ms. Clark."

The assistant looked at her appointment log and saw the name penciled in. Picking up the phone, she rang Carol and announced Justin's arrival. 

Carol came out a few minutes later, walking to Justin and giving him a light kiss on his cheek.  "Justin, Brian.  Come in.  Come in."  She waved them toward her office where she sat at a small white table with several chairs around it.  Pouring a glass of water for herself, nodded toward the pitcher and both men poured a glass for themselves.

After taking a sip of the water, she looked at Justin and said, "Good to see you, Justin.  I didn't expect you until next week.  Brian called and said it was important that we meet.  Is something wrong?"

Justin looked at Brian, the glare in his eyes could have burned right through his partner if that were possible.  Looking at Carol, he found that he couldn't voice his concerns in front of her and instead picked up the glass and twirled it as he looked down at the table.   

"Justin?" Carol asked again, with a mix of curiosity and concern.

Opening his mouth to speak, he closed it and just stared at the table.

"Does this have anything to do with the accident?  I thought you assured me that you were fine?"  Carol looked at Brian as Justin didn't appear to be making any attempt at eye contact.

"No.  Justin is fine."  Brian reached out his hand and stopped Justin from playing with the glass.  "Justin....  "  When Justin didn't look at Brian, he said, "If you're not going to tell her, then I will."

Brian waited for Justin to acknowledge his statement, looked for a shrug or even a change in facial expression, but Justin continued to look at the table, transfixed by the glass. 

"Will someone please tell me what this is about?  Brian, you called and said it was important that we meet.  If this isn't about the accident, then tell me what is going on.  Are you backing out, Justin?  I hope not, you are one of the most promising artists I have seen in a very long time."  Her voice rose an octave as she felt a gnawing feeling in the pit of her stomach.  She knew that new artists were often difficult and demanding, but she sensed this was something different. 

Brian and Carol waited for Justin to say something, but the continued quiet in the room was deafening.

"Justin doesn't think he can paint,"  Brian said the statement without any further explanation.  He hoped that Carol would immediately balk at the statement and he would not have to pull all the stops, but he knew Justin and had seen him in the last few days.  Unfortunately, the drama princess was quickly becoming a major drama queen, and would soon be having a major queen out if his faulty line of thinking was not nipped in the bud.

"What?  That's the craziest thing I ever heard.  Of course, you can paint.  Why would you think that has changed?"  Carol let out the breath she didn't know she was holding.  While she thought she had seen it all, this was a first.  She'd never represented someone who questioned their talent.  It was usually the opposite; they felt they were a gift to the art world, going to turn it on its head.  When in reality few artists made lasting impressions, most having only moderate success.  She felt Justin's talent was different and was floored by Brian's statement. 

"I just... I can't," Justin whispered.

"You can't what?"  Carol asked.  She was truly baffled by the conversation.  She'd known Justin was young and inexperienced but she had known talent when she first saw his work. 

"Paint."

Carol looked at Brian for assistance.  The conversation was going nowhere and she realized that she needed to resolve this issue or she would have a major problem when the show came up next month.  She had been so pleased with the feedback from the three critics and was excited to bring Justin out to the art world.

"The three critics that interviewed you and saw a preview of your work absolutely loved the few pieces I showed them.  When Brian called yesterday and set up the meeting, he asked that I call Tim Callen and set up an interview with him. He told me about your conversation and that Tim had asked to interview him.  Since he would be here, it seemed perfect.  I wasn't sure Tim could do this on short notice, but luckily he was available. In fact, I was just talking to him last week and he said he looked forward to meeting you, Brian, and discussing Justin's work.  I haven't seen him this excited about a new artist in a long time.  I really appreciate your wiliness to further Justin's career by offering your time for an interview."

Justin sat up and looked Carol in the eye, his gaze like a deer in the headlights of a car.  The look of horror in his eyes surprised Carol.  Many of her new artists didn't like critics and worried about what they would say, but she had already told Justin that the critics loved him and that Tim wanted to interview his partner about his work.  This should have put Justin at ease, not make him want to flee the room, and she sensed his flight posture.

"We have to go.  Now!!!  Brian, let's go."  Justin stood up from the table and walked quickly to the door, putting his hand on the handle.

Brian walked to the door and removed Justin's hand.  Placing his hand on Justin's back, he firmly led Justin back to the table and gently pushed him to sit down in his chair.

Carol watched the interaction between the two men and was even more confused.  There was obviously something going on and she had no idea what that something could be.  Glancing at her watch, she saw that it was about the time she told Tim Callen to arrive to interview Brian.  She only had a short time to figure out what the issue was.

"I'll ask again.  Will someone please tell me what is going on?  If it is not the accident, then what is it?  You have 10 minutes to explain and then Tim Callen will be here for the interview.  I can have Lisa, my assistant, stall him for a few minutes, but he is a busy man and can't wait forever."

Justin looked at Brian and nodded his head.  "Brian...." 

The unspoken words in that short communication really demonstrated how far they had come as a couple.  Brian understood that Justin needed Brian to do the talking in this situation and trusted Brian to watch him so he didn't fall too far.

"It's complicated."

"I already figured that much out."

Brian poured some more water in his glass, postponing this little reveal a few more minutes.

"Carol..."

"I can't stay here.  I'm going to wait in the reception area."  Justin pushed his chair back and started to walk towards the door again.

Again, Brian intercepted him.  "You need to stay.  Hear what Carol has to say.  You're never going to believe me if you don't hear it with your own two ears."  Brian reached out his hand toward Justin and Justin grabbed it, squeezing it.  Brian squeezed back and continued to hold on to Justin, grounding him and giving him his support as he began his explanation.

"Justin really struggled with his painting when he came to New York.  He wanted to support himself but that meant he had little time to paint as he was frequently working.  When he did have time to paint, he was exhausted."

Carol shook her head in understanding, having seen this happen with many young professionals, whether they were painters or involved in the theatrical arts.  She understood the necessity of supporting yourself while trying to get started in your career.

"Justin's friend helped him solve his problem when he hooked him up with an exotic dance company. They performed for birthday parties, bachelorette and bachelor parties."  Brian squeezed Justin's hand telling him he was there and was okay.  He knew the next part would be tricky and had been rehearsing what he would say at this critical juncture.

"It appears that Tim Callen was at one of these parties and approached Justin.  Justin politely declined his invitation for a drink but he remembered Tim.  When he showed up to interview Justin....."

"Oh," Carol said as she made the connection and understood for the first time how difficult this whole situation must be for her young protégé.  "Were you worried that Tim would say something about your dancing?"

Justin just nodded his head, but he continued to look at the table, unable to look at Carol and see the revulsion and rejection he knew would be in her eyes.

"I can't tell you how many artists support themselves in just that way before they make it in their profession.  It's almost a given that they will either work in a club, be a dancer or sometimes as an escort.  All of those choices allow for the flexibility to hone their craft and pay their bills at the same time."  Carol explained as she smiled at Brian.  She started to put her hand out to touch Justin on the hand, give him a reassuring squeeze, but a quick look at Brian's slight shake of his head stopped her comforting gesture.

Brian waited a minute to let Carol's words sink in, hoping that hearing her reassurance would be the catalyst for him to believe in himself again. He watched as Justin lifted the water glass and took a long drink from it.  Justin stopped playing with his water glass but did not look up.

"Justin.  See the world didn't end, twat."  Brian teased him.  "Carol is probably thankful that I called and stopped your Drama Princess act."  He wanted to lean in and give Justin a small kiss but decided he could do much better if he waited till they returned to the hotel later this morning. 

 "I'm not fired?  I thought for sure if you knew what I did then you wouldn't want me at Bretano's."  Justin finally looked up from his constant glare at the glass table.

"No.  You're not fired.  But if you haven't been painting, I suggest you go home now and work very hard.  Your show is in a month and I expect that you will be busy prepping for the next show and maybe even painting a few commissions."

"Thank you."  Justin smiled a tentative smile.

Brian had enough drama for one morning and decided to change the subject. "Are you ready to go shopping?  Our apartment needs some new furnishings. And shopping here will eliminate the need to get it shipped."

 "I guess we can go shopping since we're here."  Justin smiled a thin smile, recognizing Brian's tactics.

Carol was relieved that the meeting appeared to go well and Justin would be returning to paint. She remembered Brian's other request. "Before you go shopping, Tim is waiting for a short interview with Brian. Do you think you could spare 15 minutes to talk to him?"

"Sure.  I think that can be arranged."  Brian turned to Justin and said, "Why don't you stay here and talk to Carol about the show and I'll go make Mr. Callen happy?"

Justin heard the mischief in Brian's voice and was slightly concerned, but he trusted Brian.  He really wasn't comfortable seeing the critic again; maybe after his show when he could see the reaction of the public, he might be willing to see him. But for now, he was happy to talk to Carol and let Brian handle him.

"Sounds like a plan." 

Justin poured himself a little more water and drank half of it as he watched Brian leave the office. 

Brian walked out and saw a man sitting on the couch in the waiting room. 

"Mr. Callen.  I'm Brian Kinney and I understand we need to talk." 

 

TBC