- Text Size +

 

 

 

Justin slept, but his mind was not quiet.  Where am I? The doctor showed me a bag with a tuxedo shirt in it.  I remember asking where my clothes were. 

I'm in a tuxedo and I'm dancing, well almost stripping in front of a group of men.  They're placing tips in my thong, lots of tips. I'm talking to a man who is trying to pick me up and then I see Brian.  Why is Brian there? Why does he Iook angry?

I'm so confused. Are these memories or just dreams? I wish I would wake up and someone would tell me.  

Brian found the coffee, methodically fixed it with three sugars and a cream.  Bringing it to his mouth, he took a sip and grimaced at the bitter taste. This was even worse than the coffee at Kinnetik. He took a few more sips, and then threw it away, unable to stomach the drink.  He desperately needed a cigarette and walked out the door, looking for the smoking area. 

The signs warned that there was no smoking on premises.  Cursing at the do-gooders who wanted to watch over everyone's health, he walked to the edge of the hospital ground and lit up.  Inhaling the smoke into his lungs, he felt the calming burn.  His mind raced as he relived the last twenty four hours.  Coming to town expecting a nice long weekend where he would get to pin Justin to the mattress the majority of his visit, only to find out that Justin had turned to being an "entertainer" for some god-damn stripper company to pay his way.  Why couldn't he have asked me for the money?  I would have given it to him. I know, he needed to do it on his own.  Stupid twat and now he was lying in some hospital bed with another head injury.  Shit!  Brian inhaled the last drag of his cigarette and crushed the butt with his heel.  Traffic was picking up. Jennifer would be here soon. 

Walking to the hospital, he glanced at his reflection in the mirror and was startled for a minute.  He looked for shit, his hair uncombed and his white shirt slightly wrinkled.  I'm not here to woo some client; who the fuck cares what I look like. He went up to Justin's room, hoping he was awake again.

 

"Hey."

 

Justin looked toward the door, smiling as Brian walked in.  "I was in a tuxedo."

 

"Yes." Brian tried to keep his face neutral; he didn't want to start anything with Justin now.  There would be plenty of time for that discussion later.

 

"We're in a hospital?"

 

"Yeah and I must say that white is definitely not your color."

 

Justin smiled at Brian's attempt at humor. "You're here."

 

"Twat.  Of course I'm here.  Wouldn't want you to win over all the male nurses with your winning smile."

 

"My head hurts.  What happened?"

 

 "You were in an accident.  You hit your head."

 

Taking in Brian's words, he nodded, trying to hide his confusion. "Okay.  How did you get here?"

 

"I drove, twat."

 

"No.  I mean why are you here?"

 

"I'm listed as your emergency contact."

 

"Oh." the perplexed look on Justin's face told Brian that he didn't know why Brian would be his emergency contact.  "Justin.  Talk to me.  Tell me what you remember." Brian put his fingers on his forehead, fighting his headache.

 

 "Not much.  I walked to the cab and then I woke up here."

 

"Do you remember what you were doing before you walked to the cab?" Brian looked at Justin, willing him to remember the whole evening.  He didn't want Justin to deal with another loss of memory like the Prom.  That night's event was one of the most difficult times in their relationship and while Justin stated he had remembered the bashing, it was still a painful memory for both of them.  Every time Justin went to a garage, he saw the slight hesitation in his partner's face, and inwardly sighed at his discomfiture.

 

Justin looked at Brian, reading his face, recognizing the fear and hoped that he had the correct answer. "I was in a tuxedo," he said as he remembered the bag the doctor showed him.

 

 Brian let out a sigh of relief, nodding his head in agreement.  "What were you doing?" Brian asked, wanting to know if he remembered the party but not really wanting to address that issue at this time. 

 

Justin hesitated a few moments. "Working?"

 

Brian urged him, "Tell me about it." 

 

"Uh... "  Justin remembered seeing the tuxedo shirt and tie in the bag.  Racking his brain for a job that would suit that dress, he said, "I'm a waiter.  I work at Mondrian's."  Justin smiled, seeing the sign of the restaurant in his head.  He saw himself walking in there in his tuxedo shirt and was happy that he remembered the name.

 

"That's a nice place."  Brian was a little taken aback by the response, but he wasn't alarmed yet.  "Justin, why are you working as a waiter?"

 

"I'm a waiter.  End of story.  I work for money.  Why else would I work?" That's the oddest question that Brian has ever asked me.

 

"Justin, do you know where you are?"

 

"In the hospital."  He looked at Brian with a smirk.

 

"Do you know what city you're in?"

 

Justin leaned back in the bed and closed his eyes for a few moments.  "Pittsburgh, where else would I be?"

 

 Brian stood up and paced the room.  This was a lot more complicated than he thought.  He'd have to talk to the doctor and discuss this new development.

 

Justin watched Brian pacing, recognizing it as a sign of distress. He didn't know why he knew that, but he did.   He didn't understand why the situation would distress Brian.  He was okay, not even really beaten up from the accident.  "Brian, what's wrong?  Why are you upset?"

 

"I'm fine.  I'm going to go look for the doctor.  I'll be back."  He leaned down and placed a quick kiss on Justin's lips and left the room to search for the doctor.

 

Justin watched Brian leave his room and reviewed the conversation in his head.  I work as a waiter at Mondrian's and I'm in Pittsburgh.  What is wrong with those answer?  Something is wrong, I just can't put my finger on it.  Shit!  Why won't he talk to me?

 

Walking to the nurse's station, he ran into Jennifer as she was headed toward Justin's room. 

 

"Brian."  She leaned forward to hug him and he allowed it but barely placed his hands on her back.  "How is he?"

 

"You got here quickly.  He's conscious but we've got a problem." Brian ran his hands through his hair and squeezed his eyes tight.

 

"What's wrong?  Brian, tell me." Jennifer's frown had reached her eyes.

 

"He's confused.  He thinks he's a waiter and that we're back in Pittsburgh."

 

"Shit... Sorry... well, he is a waiter, but he thinks we're in Pittsburgh? What if he doesn't... wait, he remembers you right? Please tell me he remembers you. I remember last... never mind, I don't want to go there, but... damnit!"

 

"No need to curb the fucking language in my case... and yeah... way ahead of you on that thinking. He does remember me, but I don't think he remembers us.  Together.  He asked why I was here, as if he didn't expect me to be here.  I told him I was his emergency contact and he looked very confused. I think, he's making up stuff on the fly, not wanting to alarm anyone, but I read Justin Taylor very well.  After almost eight years in my life, I recognize those looks, even if he doesn't. Also, I don't think he knows he's an artist.  It sounds like he thinks he's a waiter to earn money. I mean he is a waiter, just not where he thinks he is."

 

"Oh my God, Brian... that's... I'm so sorry."  She leaned to hug him and he allowed a short one.

 

"Sorry's  bullshit, Jennifer.  We've got to figure out a way to tell him that he's in New York, but then we have to figure out a way to tell him he's going back to Pittsburgh.  This won't be easy since he doesn't think we're a couple, or at least I'm fairly certain he doesn't."

 

"Why don't you go find the doctor? I'm sure he has some ideas; he probably deals with this all the time.  I'm going to see Justin."

 

"Okay. Jennifer, just..."

 

"I know, I won't say anything too telling until we speak to the doctor. The doctor will probably want to ask questions to figure out what he thinks is going on with Justin, unless he already has and didn't tell you."

 

"I honestly don't know, but I'm definitely going to see what he thinks we should do and ask when we can take Justin home."

 

Jennifer made her way to Justin's room and knocked on the door.  She heard the "come in" and immediately went to Justin's bed and kissed his forehead.  "Sweetheart.  I'm glad you're okay."

 

"Ah.... Hi mom.  Why are you here?"

 

"Brian called me.  I came as soon as I could."

 

Brian called her.  Why did he do that?  Since when do Brian and my mom talk to each other? 

 

"Brian said you were in a car accident, in a taxi.  Why were you in a taxi? You usually ride the subway." She realized her mistake as soon as she said subway.

 

Subway?  There's no subway in Pittsburgh.  What the fuck?  Justin closed his eyes and laid his head on the pillow, feigning tiredness.

 

"We can talk later.  Why don't you rest?  I'll just sit here and keep you company."

 

Justin nodded and lay quietly in his bed; hoping sleep would come soon so he would not have to explain something he did not have an explanation for.

 

After leaving a message with the nurse, Brian returned to Justin's room.  He motioned for Jennifer to join him outside the room so as not to bother Justin.

 

"Brian.... I think you're right.   I made the mistake of asking him why he was in a taxi versus a subway.  He closed his eyes and feigned sleep almost immediately.  I think he's beginning to think something is wrong, but doesn't want to admit it."

 

"Shit, Jennifer."

 

"I was so relieved to see him, it just came out."

 

"Whatever.  It will come out soon enough.  We have to tell him he's in New York.  He'll figure that out as soon as he steps out of the hospital." Brian's hand waved toward the window where New York's skyline was evident.

 

"True.  Did you find the doctor?"

 

"No, but I left a message for him to come see us.  Why don't we go in to the room?  Hopefully, he will be here soon."

 

 "Brian, why don't you take a break?  Do you need to get anything?  Have you eaten?  I can sit with him while you get something to eat and maybe some fresh clothes."

 

Brian said, "I'll wait for the doc. If he lets Justin leave, I can get something when I take him back to the hotel."

 

"That's right.  Justin said something about seeing you this weekend. He was pretty excited. I'm still not used to the two of you being in different places."

 

Brian shrugged, he was not going to admit to Jennifer that although it had been almost a year, he was still not used to not having Justin around. "Let's go in.  Maybe sleeping beauty will have woken up again."

 

About an hour later, Dr. Axel came in to check on Justin.  Justin had woken up from his nap shortly before his arrival. 

 

"Mr. Kinney wants to know when you can go home.  Why don't we have a little chat and I'll check you out and then we will decide.  Mr. Kinney and ..."

 

"I'm Jennifer Taylor.  Justin's mom."

 

"Ms. Taylor, will you step outside while I do my exam and then we will have a better idea of things."

 

Brian and Jennifer walked out of the room and down to the waiting room where they both fixed some coffee. 

 

"I can't believe he hit his head again.  At least this time, he remembers the event.  He told me he was working right before the accident."

 

"But why was he in a taxi?  He says that cabs are too expensive and usually takes the subway," Jennifer asked Brian.

 

"Maybe he was in a hurry to see me?" Brian grinned, knowing that while Jennifer accepted their relationship, she really didn't want to think of those activities.

 

Blushing a little, Jennifer said, "Oh."

 

They sat down on the small green couches in the room and pretended to pick up and read the magazines that were on the table.  A television in the right corner of the room was droning on about the upheaval in Egypt. Neither of them paid any attention to the news commentators.

 

Looking at Jennifer, Brian said, "Now comes the part where I get yelled at by your oh so adoring son and I get to convince him that he needs to come back to Pittsburgh with me for a while."

 

"He should come back with us; he needs someone to watch over him.  He should be with you.  But, if there's anything I can do..."

 

"I have some presentations that I really should attend; can you possibly come over and be with him for a few hours on Monday?  I'll call Cynthia about rescheduling my clients for next week."

 

Jennifer took our her I-Phone and opened the calendar feature.  As she scanned the entries, she nodded as she reviewed her calendar.  "Luckily I only have a few meetings next week and I'm sure they can be rearranged."

 

"Good.  As soon as the doc releases him, we can get this show on the road.  Hopefully he can be released today.  At least he's awake and coherent."

 

"Yes, at least there's that."  Jennifer was far more relieved than she was letting on. She couldn't believe her baby was in another accident, but she also knew whose company she was in and it wouldn't do to rehash previous events and traumas. She could only hope that with Justin actually being with Brian, even if they didn't remember being together, maybe being in Pittsburgh and back in Brian's loft might trigger something. Jennifer picked up the magazine and flipped to an article about redecorating your kitchen, but did not read it.

Dr. Axel stepped by Justin's bed and shone a light into his eyes.  Satisfied with Justin's reactions, he asked, "Mr. Taylor, what year is it?"

 

"2007'

 

"What month is it?"

 

"June"

 

"How old are you?"

 

"24"

 

"Where are you?"

 

"In the hospital."

 

"Do you know what city you are in?"

 

Justin grinned.  "Yeah.  Sure.  Pittsburgh.  I've always lived in Pittsburgh."

 

"Who are the people that were in the room with you earlier?"

 

"My mom and Brian."

 

"Who is Brian?"

 

"A guy I know."

 

"What do you do for a living?"

 

"I wait tables.  You and Brian ask a lot of the same questions."

 

"Can you tell me about the accident?"

 

"No."

 

"I see.  What do you remember?"

 

"The last thing I remember is walking on the street."

 

"Mr. Kinney told me that you told him you were at work before the accident, is that true?"

 

Justin felt tears well up in his eyes, and wiped them with his hand. "I was hoping that was a good answer.  Evidently it was since he stopped asking questions."

 

Dr. Axel shook his head, waiting for Justin to continue.  "I had a head injury when I was in high school and Brian witnessed it.  He took it really hard that he couldn't do anything to stop it."  Justin listened to his words and stopped short.  I know there is more to this story, but I can't seem to remember.  Damn!!!

 

"Well according to the information Mr. Kinney provided on the insurance forms, your general information is correct.  There is no concussion. Medically, you are fine to discharge."

 

"Thanks doc." Why is Brian filling out medical forms on me? What am I not remembering?

 

"I'll fill out the discharge forms.  If you start experiencing headaches or seizures, you need to notify your physician immediately."

 

"Okay."

 

Dr. Axel left the room and went to find Brian and Jennifer. "Mr. Kinney and Ms. Taylor, I've completed my exam and feel that Mr. Taylor can be safely released; however, it appears he has some memory lapses."

 

"I know.  I was going to ask you about that.  How should we handle this?  He thinks he's a god damn waiter instead of an artist and he thinks he's in Pittsburgh for fuck's sake."

 

Dr Axel was slightly taken aback by Brian's language but he'd heard worse in his many years. "That's a tricky question."

 

"The last time this happened, my psychologist friend said we should re-enact the scene of the accident so it might trigger his memories.  It didn't fucking help at all and I'm not too thrilled about putting him into a taxi and recreating another accident.  He thinks he's in Pittsburgh, we can't exactly make a backdrop stage when he leaves the hospital and I don't want him going back to his apartment."

 

Nodding his head in understanding, he motioned for the two of them to follow him to the corner of the lounge.  He poured himself some coffee and sat down.  Brian and Jennifer sat opposite the doctor and waited.  After taking several sips of the drink, he spoke, "From his answers I don't think he knows that you're his partner, Mr. Kinney.  He knows who you are and that you are important to him, so you're going to have to go slowly on this one.  In time, maybe even a few days, he might remember.  He remembers a lot of immediate information; his age, the month, the year, but he doesn't remember the accident.  That's not unusual and he may never remember it or the events leading up to it.  How long have you been partners Mr. Kinney?"

 

"I've known him for 8 years, we've been partners almost 3 of those."

 

"So this is not a recent development?"

 

"No.  We have a long history; albeit turbulent at times, but there is a definite history."

 

"That will be in your favor.  He may start to draw on his other memories of the two of you, but until then you have to take it slow.  I suggest he not go home with you.  It might really confuse things." Turning toward Jennifer, "are you in a position to take Mr. Taylor home with you?"

 

"Of course."  Jennifer looked at Brian, seeing the anguish and hurt in his face and felt for him.  "Brian, this time you are welcome any time in my home."

 

Brian nodded at the words, but did not say anything in response.

 

"I suggest you tell him that he is in New York and not Pittsburgh, Mrs. Taylor.  It might be better coming from you.  I'll let him know that he needs to be with someone and shouldn't go home alone since he's apparently confused."

 

"Thank you, Dr. Axel."

 

"I'll be in to sign the discharge papers in a little while."

 

"Good.  Why don't you go talk to Justin and explain why he's going home with you.  I'll call Cynthia and have her make reservations for the late flight this afternoon.  I need to let her know to reschedule all but the most important meetings for the next week or so."

 

"Okay and ....thank you, Brian."

 

Jennifer walked down the hall to Justin's room where she found the young man watching the rain fall on the window pane.  "I didn't know you were that fascinated by the rain."

 

Turning at her voice, Justin smiled.  "Nah.  There's nothing on TV to watch.  Lots of boring talk shows on during the day."   Justin sat on the bed looking like a lost child in a man's body.  "Hi Mom.  What's the verdict?  Do I get to go home or stay in this lovely hospital?"

 

Jennifer walked over to the bed and sat next to Justin, reaching out for his hand.  "Sweetheart...."

 

"I'm not 10 years old anymore.  Don't treat me like a child."  Justin bristled.

 

"Okay.  The doctor says you can leave here, but you need to come home with me."

 

"I'm fine.  I don't need a babysitter."

 

"Honey.  You are fine, but...."

 

"But what?  I got a little banged up.  No reason for you to watch over me."  Justin stood up and walked to the window where he watched the rain again.

 

"Justin.... You are a little confused and the doctor feels that you need to be with someone."

 

Justin turned around and shouted, "I'm fine!  I don't need you to be with me."

 

Brian returned from making his phone calls.  "Justin.   Calm down.  Your mother is only following doctor's orders.  Now quit being a drama queen."

 

He started to open his mouth to argue with Brian and his mother, but the adrenaline abated as quickly as it had hit.  Brian is still here.  What am I missing?  How does he know me so well?  "Okay.  I guess I'll see you around Brian.  Can I at least go to my place and pick up some stuff?"

 

Brian smiled as he saw that his voice still made Justin calm down in the face of a queen out.

 

"Sure.  We can swing by your place on the way to the airport."

 

Jennifer shook her head at Brian's words, but it was too late.

 

"The airport?"  Justin looked between the two people and put his head in his hands as their words washed over him. "What the fuck!!"

 

 

 

TBC