- Text Size +

Brian and Justin entered Babylon and located their friends by the bar.  Michael was nursing a beer and Ben was drinking one as well.  Ben had his hand on the lower part of Michael's back, the intimacy between them obvious.  Emmett was drinking something with a pink umbrella sticking out of it and was wearing an outrageous combination of orange pants with a mesh pink top.  The two colors complemented each other but it was not an outfit that surprised either Brian or Justin but seemed to fit Emmett's flame as he was surely burning bright tonight as evidenced by his animation in sharing his latest tale with his small entourage. Ted nursed a club soda with a lime in it but he and Blake appeared to be listening intently to Emmett as he regaled them with his latest adventure. Blake smiled at Ted intermittently as he drank his soda and ran his hand down Ted's back. 

As frequently happened, the crowd seemed to part when the magnificent man and his partner entered.  It was almost like Brian was the King of this land and the bar crowd were his subjects, parting for him to walk amongst the public.  Neither Brian nor Justin seemed to notice the reverence and made their way to the boyz where they both ordered shots of Beam from the bar.

"And they have arrived.  Got out of bed long enough to join us. I was beginning to wonder if you two blew us off," Michael said, the comment made only in slight jest.  Ben gave him a slight frown at his comment, but did not say anything, understanding Michael's feelings toward Justin and Brian and their complicated relationship.

"I'll have you know I didn't blow Justin.  We were late because we spent the day with Gus and had to bring him back to the Munchers.  Although, now that you mention it, a blow job seems like a great way to start the evening."  Looking at Justin he gave him a lascivious grin and tilted his head back toward the back room. "I'm up for it," he said as he placed Justin's hand on the front of his pants, allowing him to feel the start of his erection.

"Brian!" Michael said, the whine so evident in his voice to almost be like a child's.

"Ewww," came the chorus from Ted and Emmett.

Justin squeezed Brian's hard-on quickly, but then let go before Brian dragged him away and gave him his patented smile and said, "Later." Turning back to the bar, he ordered a second shot for both of them and allowed himself to listen to the music instead of concentrating on the little conversation among the small group.

Brian raised his eyebrows for a second telling Justin in their silent conversation that it was worth a shot.  Finishing his second drink he placed his glass on the bar, looked at Justin and tilted his head toward the dance floor.  Justin put his glass on the bar and followed Brian out to the crowded floor where the sea of beautiful men parted to give them a small space to dance.

Emmett watched Justin and Brian dancing, oblivious to any of the looks they received from other men.  As they had eyes for only each other, he thought they looked different tonight, somehow more connected to each other.  Emmett understood more than Michael, Brian's self-proclaimed best friend, how difficult these last few months had been on Brian.  Emmett watched people, understood their body language and read between the lines.  It was important to have that skill in his business.  He had to please people and sometimes what people said was not what they wanted and sometimes, like in Brian's situation, what wasn't said was just as critical to success and happiness as what he did say. 

When Justin was in New York and Brian would talk about visiting him, his eyes would shine and a mischievous twinkle would fill his face.  But on the Monday after his return, the light would be gone, filled with a hint of sadness.  Emmett never commented on his observations but gave Brian more slack on those days, ignoring his increased abrasiveness that frequently accompanied his return from seeing Justin. 

When Brian brought Justin back from New York after his accident, there was a distinct change in him.  The need to protect his partner accompanied by the hurt of Justin's ignorance of their partnership was difficult for Brian.  He favored Justin's needs to be eased back into his life over his own needs to acknowledge their ongoing relationship.  Brian always wanted Justin to come first and this was so evident in everything he did after the accident.  But tonight, things were different. 

Emmett couldn't identify the change, but both men seemed to be having a private celebration like a burden had been lifted and they were relishing their life and their partnership.  He hoped that his observations were correct and that they were moving forward in their lives.

"Should we tell them?" Justin spoke in Brian's ear as they danced close to each other. The noise from the music was so loud that Justin was almost shouting to be heard.

"Oh, I don't know.  I kind of like having a few secrets," Brian teased as he smiled devilishly at Justin.

"Everybody's planning on coming for the show.  It will be the perfect time.  I know you must have thought about this for a long time.  You are so good at keeping a secret."

"Who says I was thinking about it for a long time?   It just seemed like a good idea."

Justin smiled and slapped his hand on Brian's chest, dismissing his comment.  Looking at Brian, his black shirt fitting tightly around his chest and his jeans hugging his hips and ass, Justin licked his lips.

"You know, I think you had the right idea earlier.  I think the back room is an excellent idea."

"You do?  Well, I like the way you think too.  Lead on McDuff."  Brian said as he followed Justin to the back room.

Michael had been watching the two men on the dance floor.  He too noticed the difference in them tonight.  Unlike Emmett, he attributed it to a dose of E or other drugs they probably took before they arrived at the club.  He was pleased that Justin seemed to be back to his old self but was still surprised that he wasn't returning to New York.  He thought he might change his mind. 

Ted watched the dance floor as well.  He'd become very close to Brian, a friendship that surprised him to no end.  He'd always been the butt of Brian's deprecations and when he asked him to come work for him, it was the surprise of his life.  Now Brian trusted him with his business and his personal finances, probably the two most important things to him, after Justin and Gus.  He was privy to Brian's personal papers as well as his business ones and he knew Brian's relationship with Justin was more than most people understood.  Justin was co-owner of all of Brian's assets and executor of his will.  Financially they were tied together but also legally as Brian was Justin's medical proxy and Justin was his.  He knew it killed Brian a little every day when Justin did not remember events in their lives. 

He was glad that his friend had regained his partner; he deserved some happiness after the difficulties he sustained in life.  Watching them on the dance floor, he too saw a noticeable light-heartedness between the two men.  Something was happening and he knew it was a good thing.  Happy, he smiled and ordered another club soda.

It would have surprised Brian that his friends were that intuitive. He'd known them for many years and while they were there for each other in times of crisis; Vic's death, Brian's cancer, the bombing, they didn't share each other's intimate thoughts and feelings.  Maybe it was because they were men, but he doubted that as he and Justin shared feelings.  It was because they were friends but ones that enjoyed the good times and liked to keep their friendship on the light side.  Still, he was a little blindsided when they were greeted by their friends when they returned from the back room.

"You two seem very light hearted this evening.  Want to share some of those fabulous drugs?  I know they're safe if you're imbibing," Emmett said as he tipped his drink toward the couple.

"I was thinking the same thing.  I don't do drugs anymore, but I wondered if you two had taken some before you got here.  Gus, too much of a handful?  I know I'm tired when I have JR for the afternoon," Michael said, grinning as he thought of Brian and Justin chasing a 7 year old.

"And what about you Theodore?  Do you think we have been taking some good drugs before we arrived?"  Brian asked pointedly to his friend that he often thought knew him better than Michael but not as well as Justin. 

"Bri..." Ted played with the glass in his hand, twirling it around.  He didn't want to mention drugs.  He knew that Brian had cut back a lot of them, especially since Justin's return. But Brian was a private person and often didn't like to give up his persona, especially around his friends.  Ted was torn between sharing his true thoughts and agreeing with the crowd.

Brian laughed and pulled Justin to him, putting him in front of him as he draped his arms around his neck from behind.  Whispering into Justin's ear, he said, "I guess that answers your question.  Seems even the boyz can see our happiness.  You want to tell them or shall I?"  Brian continued to lean down toward Justin's face as he waited for an answer.

"You asked so you should tell," Justin suggested.

"Emmy Lou, Michael, Ted.... No, there was no E although tonight I don't think I could get any higher than I already am."

The boyz looked from one another and scrunched their eyes a little at Brian's statement, not understanding his meaning. Brian enjoyed their obvious confusion and let the moment linger.

"Justin and I are getting married.  Two weeks from tonight and you're all invited since you will be in New York for his show. We figured two celebrations would be better than one."  Brian let go of Justin and walked to the bar, ordering water for him and Justin.  He was hot from their dancing and needed water.  Handing the water to Justin, both men drained their respective bottles in a few minutes.

"Married.  What do you mean you're getting married?  You're Brian Kinney, stud of Liberty Avenue. I just knew Justin's moving back was a bad idea," Michael said, his indignation evident in his words and tone.

"Oh, honey.  I'm so happy for you," Emmett gushed as he reached for Justin and engulfed him in a hug which Brian promptly put an end to by removing Emmett's arms.  "Two weeks isn't very much time for me to plan your big day," he said as he placed his hands on either side of his mouth.  "Wait.  You did say New York!  Why that makes it so difficult.  I best be getting on the phone right away to plan your big day.  Promise you'll come over tomorrow so we can figure out the logistics."

"Congratulations, Bri.  I know you'll be very happy together," Ted said as he slapped Brian on the back.  "Let me know if you need anything.  Legally, there is nothing that needs to be done, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate.  I just knew that something was up; you seemed very happy tonight."

"Yes, Michael, married.  And for your information, I asked Justin, not the other way around. Not that it really matters.  Justin moving back is the best thing for both of us.  Now if you don't have anything positive to say, I suggest you do as Debbie taught me and not talk at all."  Brian turned away from Michael and addressed Emmett and Ted.

"Sorry, Em, but we are leaving tomorrow for New York and the plans will be made while we're there." 

"There is something you can do, Ted.  Justin wants to buy a car.  Can you investigate where I can free up some assets to do that within the next few weeks."

Justin turned toward Brian and gave him a huge hug while kissing him on the lips.  Breaking the kiss, he said, "thank you.  I can't believe you're buying me a car for a wedding present."

Brian smirked.  "No one said it was a wedding present, but that sounds like a good one.  Although, I will go with you to buy it.  I don't want some hideous truck in our garage."

Emmett wiped the tears from his eyes and hugged Justin again.  "I'm so happy for you."

"Enough for one night.  Let's go dance some more Sunshine."  Brian walked toward the dance floor, knowing that Justin would follow.

They danced and drank and visited with their friends for a few hours.  Hot, tired and sweaty, they left Babylon around 1:30.  As Brian drove them toward Britin, Justin looked out the window, watching the familiar scenery fly by.

"It's been almost six months since my accident."

"Five months, 15 days and 20 hours," Brian said.

Justin looked at him, awe in his face. "Brian?" He knew Brian would understand the unasked question.

"We're almost home."

"Ok.  I'll wait."

Five minutes later Brian drove the car into the garage and after they entered the house, he turned on the security system. Grabbing two waters from the fridge, he motioned Justin toward the living room.  Brian sat on one end of the couch and Justin sat toward the middle facing him.  He understood Brian was going to share some important information and he wanted to be able to watch him as they talked.

"From the moment I saw you in that club in New York, my life changed.  My first reaction was anger.  I was furious with you for dancing, for not coming to me to ask for money, for letting me help you. My anger turned to pride as I understood that you wanted to be independent and succeed on your own."  Brian took a drink from his water bottle and he heard the noise from the air conditioner as it kicked on.

"I sat in my hotel room that night trying to figure out what I was going to tell you.  I went over many scenarios and conversations while I waited and you didn't show up.  I wondered if you changed your mind and decided to go home with one of the patrons at the party but then dismissed that idea pretty quickly.  Even then, I knew I would come first."

Brian picked at the label on the water bottle and then finished the drink.  He got up and grabbed another one for himself and returned to the couch.  Justin watched him intently.  This talk had been long overdue and he was somewhat surprised that Brian had initiated it, considering they had never really talked about the bashing. 

"When I received that phone call from the hospital, I almost threw up.  I screamed and yelled and almost broke the table in the hotel room.  Life was not supposed to be like this.  You were not supposed to get hurt, seriously injured yet again, but I had no control over what happened."

Brian couldn't sit still any longer.  The feelings inside him were resulting in tumult in his stomach.  He felt the anxiety of sharing strum through his body, yet he did not stop.  A part of him knew this was the right time and he thanked Justin for recognizing this need and not interrupting him. He stood to slowly pace the room as he continued to talk.

"I was terrified that you wouldn't survive and if that happened, I didn't know if I wanted to either.  Surviving without you just wasn't an option in my book."

Justin swallowed hard at that statement.  He would hate to think that Brian would give up or do something drastic if something were to happen to him, but if he were honest, he really couldn't imagine his life without Brian in it either. He heard the hum of the refrigerator in the background and waited patiently for Brian to continue.

Brian walked in a large circle, touching the little trinkets and pictures around the room, the touches that Justin had added to make Britin a home rather than a house.  He picked up a picture of Gus and Justin that had been taken at the zoo a few months back.  It had been one of the first times that Justin had remembered his artistic beginnings and he'd insisted that Gus and he pose in front of the lions. Brian had laughed at their antics but did as he bid. Smiling as he remembered the day, he put the picture back in its place and eyed one of Justin's paintings on the wall.  He looked at it, admiring the brush strokes and the vivid colors as he continued his monologue.

"You survived but when you didn't remember our relationship and your memory took you back to shortly after your prom, I died a little more.  You were there but you weren't.  Thankfully, this time like the last time, the doctors didn't really know anything and you regained your memories."

His eyes left the painting and looked at Justin who had been following his movements around the room.  Their eyes locked and Brian said, "Justin, I count every day and every hour that you are with me. I once said to you that our separation is "only time".  While I may have fought your return to Britin, but I know it is the right time."

Brian sighed a huge sigh and his chest heaved as his heart hammered inside.  He wasn't sure where all those thoughts came from and he hoped Justin wouldn't linger and analyze them, but he knew from experience that his thoughts were filled with false hopes as Justin always took his words and analyzed them, sometimes to death.

Justin waited a few minutes to ensure that Brian was finished with his talk. When he heard the clock chime 2:30, it had been a full ten minutes that they had been in the living room without a word being said.  Brian had returned to the couch and had closed his eyes, laying his head against the back of the couch.  Justin watched the man he loved as his heart swelled.

He scooted up to him and gently leaned over to place a soft kiss on his lips, making it just long enough for Brian to respond. Somehow that one sweet intimate kiss said more than any response Justin could think of, and certainly more than those three little words could say.

"Let's go to bed. We have a long day tomorrow."

Brian opened his eyes and smiled, thankful that Justin didn't respond to his speech, but understood what needed to be done.

They went upstairs, undressed, got ready for bed without a word.  Justin shut off the lights and climbed into bed where he held Brian as they fell asleep.

 

TBC