- Text Size +

 

 

 

Brian and Jennifer looked at each other, trying to nonverbally determine who would talk and eventually Jennifer decided she should take the lead.  Sitting down on the bed next to Justin, she turned toward him and pulled his hands away, gripping his chin and moving it so he could see her face to face. 

 

"You're in New York, Justin, but we need to take you home to Pittsburgh." She decided to make the explanation as short as possible, allowing him to process the information and ask questions as he saw fit. "We'll stop at your apartment and pick up some of your things."

 

He looked between the two of them, saw that they appeared to trust each other and he shook his head. 

 

Justin looked around the room, eyed his bag of clothes, but remembered they were pretty dirty.  "What am I going to wear on this airplane ride? I don't think I want to show up in a hospital gown?"

 

Smiling, Jennifer shook her head.  "Of course, sweetheart.  I'll go down to the gift shop and buy you some clothes."  She headed toward the door.

 

"I'll go with you.  I need to make sure that you don't buy him some hideous running suit."  Brian walked out with Jennifer and waited till they were away from Justin's room.   "I'm going to call his friend Jake and fill him in.  In the meantime, I'll go to his apartment and remove any signs of his painting.  Luckily he has his studio and does the majority of his work there.  I'll pay his rent through the end of next month and I'll call Cynthia to forward his mail to the Loft."

 

"Thank you for doing this.  I wouldn't think of all the details."

 

"His memory better return soon. This is bullshit. Walking around like he's not a fucking artist."

 

Brian left Jennifer at the hospital and took a cab to Justin's apartment. In the cab, he pulled out his phone and called Jake. 

 

"Hello?"

 

"It's Brian.  Justin's Brian."

 

"Hi.  Got a gig for me?"  Jake's adrenaline shot through his veins.  He had given Brian his phone number one time when Justin introduced them to each other.  He asked Brian if he ever needed models for ads and had given him his phone number "just in case".

 

"No!  Justin's been in an accident.  Can you meet me at his apartment?"

 

"Shit!!! Is he okay?"

 

"Okay is relative.  Just fucking meet me at his apartment!!!  I'm on my way now."

 

"I'll be there in ten minutes."

 

"Good."

 

***

 

Jake was sitting on the floor by the door when Brian arrived.  Taking his key out, he let himself in to the small apartment.  "Jesus Justin, you really are a slob," Brian said as he eyed the dirty dishes in the sink, the random three socks strewn on the floor in the living area and the unmade bed in the corner.  Doesn't even have a fucking dishwasher in here. 

 

Brian reached into his pants pocket and took out his wallet, pulling out $50.00 and handed it to Jake.  "Clean up this shit!!  Justin and his mom will be here in a few hours to pick up some stuff to take to Pittsburgh.  I got to call his boss at the diner."  Brian eyed Jake as he said the diner and saw the visible flinch of the young man.  "Do you know anything about the other job he's been working, Jake?"

 

Hearing the undercurrent of fury in Brian's voice, Jake wasn't sure he should answer him.  "Yeah.  I know."

 

"What the fuck was he thinking?" Brian rolled his eyes.  He didn't have time to have this conversation.  "Where's that number.  I gotta call them too!"

 

"I'll call for you," Jake volunteered.

 

"Fine.  I'll be back in a few hours with Justin and his mom.  This place better be clean."  Brian stormed out of the apartment and hailed a taxi back to his hotel. 

 

 "This is Mr. Kinney.  I need to check out unexpectedly.  Have someone pack my bags and deliver them to the front desk.  I'm in room 712."

 

"Absolutely Mr. Kinney. We will have them ready when you arrive."

 

***

 

Jake watched Brian leave the apartment and spoke to himself, Justin, you really do have a way with men.  Brian is hell on wheels.  I can't believe I just took $50.00 from him to clean up your shit.  I wouldn't believe it myself except here I hold the Ben Franklin in my hand. Guess I better get started, he'll be back soon.

 

Jake picked up the dirty clothes and removed the sheets from the bed.  He put on fresh sheets and put the others in a laundry basket to take with him. He washed the dishes in the sink and made sure any sign of Justin's art career was out of sight.  From what Brian said, Justin didn't remember that part of his life and he didn't want to confuse his friend.  He hoped that Justin would remember him- Jesus that would suck if he didn't recognize me.  He sat on the couch, grabbed the remote and found Top Gun on the Classic Movie Channel. Settling in to watch it, he waited for Justin and Brian to return.

 

***

 

The cab took Brian by the hotel where he paid the bill and had the hotel send his bags to the airport.  He didn't think about the cost, just knew he needed to make this go as smoothly as possible.  He needed Justin home where he could keep an eye on him and keep him safe.  Arriving at the hospital, he returned to Justin's room, hoping he was ready to be released and had accepted his return to Pittsburgh.

 

Not bothering to knock, Brian entered the room.  Justin looked up as he walked in the door and smiled.  "Your place was a mess.  Jake is cleaning it up now."

 

Frowning at the statement, Justin took a few moments before answering.  "You went to my place?"

 

"Yeah.  Didn't want Jennifer to find your stash of porn," he said tongue in cheek.

 

"Oh." He's grinning.  I really don't have a stash of porn.  That's good.  Jake... I know Jake....  Yeah.  I do.  Shaking his head in answer to his verbal conversation.

 

Brian saw the hesitation on Justin's face and guessed he didn't know who Jake was. "I would ask what's going on in that head of yours, but I really don't think I want the answer to that question.  Where's Jennifer and can we leave?  I hate hospitals."

 

"Mom's getting me some medication at the pharmacy.  Evidently the doc wants me to have some shit in case I get antsy."

 

"So you can fly this coup?"

 

"I still don't understand why I have to go back to Pittsburgh. I'm fine."

 

"Trust me, Justin.  Fine is not the correct word.  You are not "fine" when you believe that you are in Pittsburgh when this is New York.  End of discussion."  Brian leaned over and kissed Justin on the lips, and then straightened up and buzzed the nurse.

 

"Justin's ready to leave."

 

"I'll order a wheelchair."

 

Brian walked over to the window as he stared at the bizarre scene outside.  Seeing the rooftop air conditioners and the backs of buildings was always a little disconcerting, but to see it from this height without a balcony was even more startling. 

 

"What you looking at?"

 

"Nothing.  This isn't a view I typically see.  Normally I'm standing out on a balcony and overlooking the bustling city.  This looks sedate compared to my normal view of New York."

 

"So you come here often?" Justin asked, hoping to gain information for the holes in his memory.

 

"As often as I can," Brian said, not thinking about the information and how Justin would respond.

 

"So your work brings you here a lot?"

 

Brian turned around, hearing the hesitation in his voice.  "Stop fishing, Justin.  I know this is frustrating, but you're one of the strongest men I know.  Asking questions isn't going to return your memory.  I know.  Just give it time."

 

 Justin looked at Brian, trying to fit the pieces into his memory.  He knows more than he is telling me.  And this is more than what happened at the prom.  I think ...Shit I don't know what to think.  I'll have to trust him and my mom.

 

The nurse brought the wheelchair and Justin reluctantly got in it. "I guess this means I'm going to Pittsburgh."

 

"Smart man," Brian responded, hoping that Justin would maybe recognize the phrase.  As he looked at his partner and didn't see any recognition, his heart sank just a few more inches. 

 

The three of them met the cab at the front of the hospital and it took them to Justin's apartment where Jake was eagerly waiting. 

 

"Hey man," Jake said as he greeted Justin with a hug.

 

Justin did not return the hug as he didn't recognize the man, but managed to say, "hi". 

 

Jake shrugged and addressed Brian, "I cleaned up the place.  I'll take his laundry to the Laundromat and get it cleaned."

 

"Good.  I've arranged for the rent to be paid for the next two months and the mail to be forwarded to me." Handing Jake his business care, he said, "Here's my card, if you need anything else.  Did you take care of the other phone call?" Brian sneered as he thought again of the party last night.

 

"Yeah.  They said..."

 

"I don't need the details."

 

Brian turned toward Justin and watched as he looked at the unfamiliar surroundings.  "I think you can find the bedroom in this matchbox.  I'll help you get some clothes and your toiletries."

 

"You've been here before?" he asked.

 

"Yeah.  This is where you live, in this lovely one bedroom hole in the wall," Brian responded.  "Look, I know this is all new to you, but we don't have time for show and tell, we have a plane to catch. Go to your room and pack some clothes, I'll get your toiletries."

 

Justin walked into the bedroom and stood in front of the dresser.  Pulling out the drawers, he grabbed five shirts, five pants, socks and underwear and placed them in a duffle that had appeared on the bed. Looking around the room, he couldn't see anything else he needed so he waited for Brian to return with his toiletries. Brian placed them in the bag, zipping it closed.

 

"We need to leave."  Opening the door to Justin's place, he watched Justin and Jennifer leave.  Turning toward Jake, he said, "Keep an eye on the rest of his stuff. Check the place out a few times a week. Stay here if you want.  Make sure no one thinks it's empty.  Wouldn't want New York's finest to squat here since the renter is indisposed.  I don't know if, or when, Justin might be back. If whatever the fuck this is takes a long time I'll let you know and you can get his stuff packed and sent back to me. Otherwise, fuck! Who the fuck knows what'll happen."

 

Shaking his head in understanding he said, "Keep me updated then? I... I don't know what to say. He's a really great guy, one of my best friends.  Can you call me in say a week?"

 

"I'll call you."

 

Brian carried the bag down the stairs and hailed a cab, telling the driver to drop them at the airport.  At the airport, he went to the ticket counter and checked them in.  He was thankful that Justin had his ID on him so he could verify who he was.  Finding the ID in his shit hole apartment would have been a pain.  Jennifer checked in and the three of them made their way through security. 

 

After going through security, Justin announced, "I'm hungry."

 

Brian laughed.  "At least some things don't change.  What do you want to eat?  We have about 45 minutes until we need to board the plane."

 

Looking at the multitude of choices, Justin chose Au Bon Pain.  Feeling for his wallet, he realized he didn't have it. "Can you buy me a sandwich? I'll pay you back."

 

Placing his hand on Justin's lower back, he steered the young man toward the restaurant.  "I'll buy your sandwich, Justin, but you don't need to pay me back."

 

Justin shrugged, but didn't argue.  He was hungry and just wanted to eat. After Justin ordered, Brian ordered soup and a salad and Jennifer ordered a sandwich. They waited at the small table in the back of the restaurant.  Jennifer gathered napkins and plastic silverware as Brian stayed with Justin. 

 

Watching Justin in the crowds of the airport, Brian was relieved to see that Justin didn't appear to suffer from his aversion to crowds as he did after the bashing.  He hoped that aversion would not return. 

 

"I still don't understand why I have to go back to Pittsburgh.  I'm fine.  I don't have a concussion and the doc released me."

 

This was the third time Justin had expressed the same idea since leaving the hospital and it was wearing on Brian.  "Who was the guy in your apartment earlier?"

 

"Jake."  Justin was proud that he remembered his name.

 

"How do you know Jake?"

 

Justin stared at Brian, fuming internally at his inability to remember.  "He's a friend."

 

Brian was impressed with Justin's quick ability to answer question without knowing the answer.  "What does Jake do?"

 

Justin hesitated, and then said, "I don't know."

 

"Right.  You don't know.  You just guessed that Jake was a friend since he was at your place.  That is why you need to come to Pittsburgh, Justin.  You have memory holes.  We want you safe."

 

He wants me safe.  We're in bed, naked.  I asked him about barebacking. He got angry, told me he wanted me safe. Before Justin could respond, Jennifer brought over their food.  "Here, Sweetheart.  I brought you mustard and mayo too.  I know that's how you like to eat your sandwiches."

 

Slumping in his chair, admitting his defeat, he murmured, "thank you," and opened the packets to fix his sandwich.  He ate in silence and Brian and Jennifer respected his silence, but were disturbed as he usually couldn't stop talking.

 

They finished their quick lunch and walked to the gate where the airline attendant was announcing boarding.  Since they were flying first class, they boarded the plane and found their seats.  Justin chose the window and Brian took the aisle so he could stretch his legs.  He ordered two bottles of Beam, one for him and one for Justin.  Justin may not have his memory, but I know he hates flying. Jennifer smiled at the gesture.

 

It was a short trip and no one really talked during the flight.  After departing, they grabbed their luggage and took a cab to the city. Brian had already arranged to have his luggage delivered to his loft and had the super place it inside. Justin watched the scenery as the cab sped by and was pleased that at least this seemed familiar. They arrived at his mom's condo and the cab driver took out their luggage.  Brian helped Jennifer take it to the condo where she let them in.

 

Justin looked around and was stunned when he didn't recognize some of the items.  "Mom, where are we?"

 

TBC