- Text Size +

Justin looked around the unfamiliar living room, turned toward Jennifer and asked, "Mom where's dad's chair?  And what happened to the end table that was next to it?  Where did that painting come from and where are we?"

 

Jennifer looked at Brian, silently asking for guidance but they were both flying on instinct here and neither knew what to say.  Jennifer said, "Your father's chair is at his place and so is the table."

 

Justin sat on the couch, placing his head in his hands.  "So, dad doesn't live here?"

 

"No."

 

"What happened?"

 

"We divorced six years ago."  Jennifer's heart tore as she listened to each of Justin's questions, reliving that difficult time in her life when Justin first asked her the same thing.  ‘Why are you getting a divorce?  Is it because I'm gay?' She had answered him honestly then and would do so again.  He would hopefully have an easier time accepting the information this time.  At least this time he had Brian's support and she was accepting of his relationship of Brian.  They had all come a long way.

 

Justin did the math in his head.  Six years ago he would have been 18, graduating from high school and had been hit by Chris Hobbes.  The prom.  Brian came to his prom; he remembered that or did he just imagine that?  "My prom... you came to my prom?"

 

Brian smiled at his question and said, "Yeah, I came."

 

Nodding his head at the affirmation, he chose not to continue the questions.  "Dad and you are divorced and it happened about the time of my prom."

 

"Yes.  You look tired, Justin.  Why don't you go to your room and take a nap?"

 

Justin started to argue but then realized he was tired and a nap sounded like a good idea.  Maybe a nap would help him fill in the gaps.  "Where's my room?  Wouldn't want to end up in the wrong place," he said with a little laugh.

 

Relieved to hear him joking, Jennifer walked upstairs and showed him his room.  "I'll cook something for dinner.  You have any requests?"

 

"No.  Not really."  Justin said as he started to unbutton his shirt.

 

Taking the cue, Jennifer left him alone and returned to Brian down stairs.  "Are you staying or do you need to take care of things?"

 

"He'll probably sleep for a few hours.  He could always sleep more than anyone I know.  I'll go back to the loft and unpack, shower and take care of a few things.  Why don't I come back tonight for dinner?"

 

"That sounds good.  And Brian," Jennifer hesitated a few seconds, "Thank you. I know this must be hard for you, but be patient.  He will remember.  He has to."

 

"I hope you're right."  Brian called for a cab and waited in the foyer for it to arrive.

 

 

 

Brian took the cab to the loft and was pleased when he opened his door to find his suitcases by the door with a note from the super telling him that they arrived at 2:00 this afternoon.  Brian took them into the bedroom and quickly unpacked.  Hanging his suit up, he remembered he was suppose to meet Sean to discuss the deal.  Making a mental note to call Cynthia when he finished unpacking he grabbed a quick shower to wash away the travel stench.

 

"Cynthia, I'm back."

 

"How's Justin?"

 

Long ago he would have been annoyed at the question, but he had changed and his most trusted friends knew his true feelings for the blond.  "Physically he's fine, but he doesn't remember the last 6 years."

 

"Ouch.  What are you going to do?"

 

"I can't do shit!  He‘s not a computer that I can buy extra memory for.  He's going have to remember stuff by himself."

 

"I'm sorry, Brian."

 

"Sorry doesn't help Justin.  Did you call Sean? He was expecting me this morning to talk about the campaign."

 

"Of course, I called.  I told him we would have to reschedule.  Do you want Ted to keep the appointment?"

 

Brian reviewed the details of the account in his head before responding.  "Let Ted do it.  Have him call me if he has any questions.  My notes are in the file. He should be able to access them."

 

"Will do, boss.  I've rearranged your calendar for the rest of the week and most of next week.  I couldn't reschedule your meeting with Leo Brown.  He's only available tomorrow at breakfast.  Can you make that or do I need to send Ted?"

 

"No, I can make it.  Justin rarely gets up before 10:00 and I can finish up with Leo before Justin is showered."

 

Cynthia laughed.

 

"What's so funny?"

 

"I find it amusing that you know Justin's schedule so well despite not even living with the man."

 

"I may not live with him, but I've known him for many years.  Now, we were discussing work, not Justin.  Anything else that needs to be taken care of?"

 

"No.  I've got it covered.  But Brian, please call and let me know how he is."

 

"Sure."

 

Brian hung up the phone and sat down, allowing the adrenaline to slow in his veins.  The last 48 hours had been one non-stop curve starting with the damned birthday party.  What had the twat been thinking?  I may never know if he doesn't recover his memories.  Fuck! He needs to remember.

 

Closing his eyes, he fell asleep and didn't wake up until his phone rang.

 

"Kinney."

 

"You're back from New York.  Did you have a good time?  Well of course, you did.  Were you asleep?  I guess you didn't get much sleep since you were doing Justin."

 

"Enough Michael.  What do you want?" Brian answered gruffly.

 

"We're going to Babylon later tonight and I thought you might want to join us.  You're always a little down when you get back from New York."

 

Shit.  I'm going to have to tell them about Justin.  Do I want to hear them yell now or later because I didn't tell them? Maybe seeing familiar faces will help him remember.  He does remember stuff up to the fucking Prom.

 

"I have to go to Jennifer's.  Justin was in an accident and he's staying there until he recuperates."

 

"Justin was in an accident.  Why didn't you tell me?  Is he okay?  Have you told Ma?  ...."

 

"Slow down, Mikey.  It happened in New York.  His cab was hit.  He was banged up but he doesn't remember most of the last 6 years."

 

Michael listened and then it hit him.  "Shit!  He doesn't remember the last six years.... That means he doesn't remember ...."

 

"Yeah, Mikey.  Justin knows who I am and he remembers the Prom but he doesn't have a clue that we're partners."

 

"That sucks.  What are you going to do?"

 

"Mikey, I don't know.  I'll be there for him."

 

"Can I do anything?"

 

"Let everyone know.  I'll let you know when you guys can visit.  Maybe seeing you will help jog his memory."

 

"Will do.  And Brian... I'm sorry."

 

"Sorry's bullshit, Mikey.  It doesn't change a thing."

 

They hung up, not having any more they could tell each other.  Well that is one task taken care of.  The gay grapevine will know about Sunshine soon enough.  I better head to Jennifer's.

 

 

 

Justin undressed and got into bed.  He felt like a child who was cranky and told to go to bed as punishment.  Anger bubbled up inside him but then he remembered Brian's question about Jake.  He really didn't know who Jake was.  He might confuse someone for a friend and they could hurt him.  Yawning again, he closed his eyes and allowed his body to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

I'm in a tuxedo and I'm dancing, well almost stripping in front of a group of men.  They're placing tips in my thong, lots of tips. I'm talking to a man who is trying to pick me up and then I see Brian.  Why is Brian there? Why does he Iook angry?

 

I'm in a tuxedo and Brian is helping me tie the tie.  I hate those things.  He's in a gorgeous suit, Armani I think.  But why am I in a tuxedo?  I ask him if I look okay and he tells me I look hot, but that I better get out of the room before he takes me out of my tuxedo. I smile at him and he kisses me softly on the lips.

 

I'm in a tuxedo at an awards banquet.  Brian is standing on the podium. I look around and Cynthia and Ted are at the table, but I don't know anyone else.

 

 I'm in a tuxedo and I'm dancing with Daphne.  We're in a hotel ball room and lots of our classmates from St. James are here.  Brian walked in and told Daphne she was beautiful and asked to steal her date.  We danced on the dance floor, him twirling me as everybody watched.  He dipped me and kissed me on the dance floor.  It was so wonderful and then I walked him to his car so I could return to the dance.  I hear him yelling at me and I turn catching Chris and his bat in the corner of my eye.

 

Justin sat up in bed, bits of information from the dream tried to push to his conscious level, but they couldn't travel that far.  He felt that he had the information in his grasp, but groaned in frustration when he couldn't retrieve it.

 

He rubbed his hand over his face a few times, trying to wipe the sleep from his body.  Looking around the unfamiliar room, it took a few moments to orient himself and remembered that he was at his mother's.  He'd been in a car accident and his mom and Brian had insisted that he come back to Pittsburgh.  She had said it was his room; therefore he decided to do some investigating and see if he could learn anything about himself.  Evidently, there were some gaps in his memory and this might be a perfect way to fill some of them in. 

 

Walking to the dresser, he saw a picture of Brian, him, and a little boy.  The little boy looked just like Brian.  At first he was confused and wondered why Brian was with a little boy and why was he in the picture.  He thought about it and then realized that the little boy must be Gus.  He looked around and there were several other pictures of the little boy and Brian; some with him and some without.  Yep,  must be Gus.  He looks to be about 7.  Shit! I did lose some memories.  Sitting back on the bed, he tried to remember anything about Gus but nothing came to mind.  Hearing the cuckoo clock from downstairs chime six times, he decided he would go downstairs.  Maybe he could get some other clues as he looked around his mom's house..

 

 

 

TBC