- Text Size +

Justin put on his jeans and t-shirt and went downstairs.  His mom was in the kitchen stirring the contents of a pot, but turned around when she heard his approach.

 

"You're awake.  Did you sleep well?"

 

"Mom," Justin said as he shrugged.  "I'm not five.  Please don't patronize me."

 

Jennifer silently shook her head in acceptance of his statement.  "Can you set the table for dinner?  Molly will be here and Brian said he'd be back as well."

 

"Sure."  Justin walked into the kitchen, but stopped.  "Uh, Mom?"

 

"Yes?"

 

"Where are the plates and silverware?"

 

Jennifer swallowed hard as she heard the uncertainty in the question.  Give me strength, she said silently "The plates are in the cabinet above the dishwasher and the silverware is in the drawer under the cabinet.  Makes it easier to unload the dishwasher."

 

Justin smiled a half smile and set the table.  He didn't ask his mom where the glasses were, but decided to open the cabinets until he located them.  Looking around the kitchen, he saw the napkin holder and placed napkins at each place setting as well.  His stomach rumbled loudly.  "When's dinner?  I guess I'm hungry."

 

"Dinner will be ready in about half an hour.  Molly had soccer practice so she should be home in a few and then she'll want to shower before we eat."  She opened the oven to check on the food and satisfied that it was done, she shut off the heat.  "Eat an apple if you're hungry.  It'll tide you over."  She grabbed an apple and sat down at the table to eat it.

 

Joining her at the table, Justin grabbed an apple and they sat in companionable silence for a few moments.  "Mom, can I ask you some questions?"

 

Jennifer felt a cold chill come over her as she didn't want to be put in an awkward  situation, but said, "Yes."

 

"There are pictures of me and Brian with a little boy in the bedroom.  Is that Gus?"

 

"Yes."

 

"I thought it was.  The little boy looks a lot like Brian and I remember babysitting him when I was in high school."

 

"You're very fond of Gus," Jennifer said as she threw the apple core in the trash.

 

"I wish I could remember."

 

"Give it time, Justin. You've been home less than a day."

 

Before he could say anything, the doorbell rang and Jennifer got up to answer it.  Opening the door, she saw Brian on the other side.  She reached out to give him a kiss on the cheek and he pecked her cheek in return. 

 

"Come in, Brian.  Molly should be home in a few minutes and after she takes her shower, we'll eat."  Jennifer gestured to Brian to enter her home.

 

Justin watched the exchange and was slightly confused by it all.  Brian and his mother had not been friends, in fact that they had been very hostile toward each other.  She blamed him for the bashing, along with other things, but now he was welcome with open arms and she even kissed him.  The weird thing was that Brian kissed her back. 

 

Looking around for Justin, Brian spotted him by the edge of the kitchen archway.  Seeing his confusion, he realized in Justin's mind he and Jennifer were still on each other's "bad list".  Walking over to Justin he smiled but did not reach out for him, even though every muscle in his body wanted nothing more than to engulf the man in his arms. 

 

"Have a good afternoon?" Brian asked, trying to stay on safe topics.

 

"Sure.  I looked around my room when I woke up.  There were pictures of you and Gus in there.  Even some of the three of us."

 

Brian recognized Justin's attempt at gaining information but he wasn't going to provide any at this time.  "Yeah.  He's a cute kid."

 

"Briannnnnnn," Justin said, the exasperation evident in his voice. 

 

"Justin, stop fishing for information.  You'll remember when its time.  Don't push it."

 

"Since when are you and my mom on the same wave length?  She said the same thing a few minutes before you got here."

 

"She's a smart lady.  I'm sure you'll remember more tomorrow.  For now, why don't we watch some TV while we wait for Molly."  Brian went over to the couch and picked up the remote from the side table.

 

"You even know where the remote is.  That's creepy."

 

"I've been here many times.  Of course I know where the remote is."  Brian patted the place beside him.  "Come on, sit.  I'm sure we can find some anime on TV."

 

Justin walked over to the couch and sat next to Brian, allowing him to surf the channels until he found an anime cartoon.  They watched TV without touching; both men aware of the strangeness of the situation, even if they had completely different ideas about just how strange it was.

 

After Molly came home and showered, she joined everyone downstairs.  "I'm starving.  When's dinner?"

 

"We're ready now.  We were waiting for you to come home.  Justin.  Brian.  Dinner's ready."

 

Justin sat across from his sister and stared at her. 

 

"What are you staring at, Jus?" Molly asked as she picked up her fork to stab some meat on the platter.

 

Justin turned red.  "Sorry....It's just that in my mind you're still a little girl with a ponytail and not a ...."

 

Molly laughed.  "Surprised you noticed, little brother.  You're not exactly interested in girls.  You and Brian have been batting for the other team for as long as I can remember." 

 

"Molly!" Jennifer said, obviously taken aback at her daughter's words.

 

"Mom. Everyone knows about Justin being gay.  It's not some family secret."

 

Justin looked at Molly and his mother; and then to Brian, trying to take in this new piece of information, and hoping someone would make a comment, but no one said a word. 

 

"Oops." Molly said when she realized what she said. "Please pass the potatoes," Molly asked Justin.

 

Justin passed the potatoes and said to Brian, "Please pass the roast."

 

The food was passed and everyone ate in silence.

 

Frustrated at the situation, Justin put his fork down and said, "Stop it.  I'm not invisible and you don't have to hide from me.  Yeah my memory is missing a few pieces, but I can remember enough to know that we don't eat in silence.  So please talk.  Brian... Mom... Molly...  I can't remember anything if no one talks about anything."

 

Jennifer shook her head in understanding.  "Okay, sweetheart.  Molly how was practice?  Did you get to play forward again?"

 

"Coach said that I can play forward for the next game and see how I do.  I made a goal last game and assisted in three others so he's impressed.  I wonder if I'm going to make the varsity team."  Looking at Brian, she asked, "Didn't you play soccer as a kid?"

 

"I got a soccer scholarship to college.  Only way I was going to get out of the Pitts."

 

Her eyes lit up in excitement. "Wow.  I didn't know that.  Would you practice with me?  I bet you could show me some cool moves."

 

"Sure.  I play all the time with Gus.  Even though he's only seven, he's pretty good with his feet." He smiled at Molly as he saw the female version of the "Taylor" smile on her face. 

 

"We used to take him to the park.  I would sketch you two while you played," Justin said as he saw a vision in his mind of him sitting on a park bench, sketch pad in hand, as the two of them ran on the soccer field where spectators often gathered to watch.

 

Brian nodded his head and beamed at Justin for his new memory.  "Yeah.  You always said that you liked being a spectator, rather than a participant."

 

The words sounded familiar and Justin blushed as he remembered another  afternoon in the loft.

 

"Justin," Jennifer said, a questioning lilt in her voice. 

 

"I'm fine, mom.  Really.  Just remembering something."

 

Jennifer blushed as she thought of events that might make Justin blush.  "Oh."

 

Brian changed the subject.  "Jennifer, how is business?  Did you sell the large Tudor by the riverfront?"

 

"Not yet, but I have had some prospective buyers.  It's a lovely old home, but needs some updating." Jennifer looked at Brian with a knowing look and he understood the message.

 

"I'm stuffed.  That was delicious, as always.  One day when you get tired of the Real Estate business, you should try cooking for a living."

 

Everyone laughed at Brian's statement. 

 

"And you would be her first client?" Molly teased.  "My mom would have to make nothing but tasteless turkey sandwiches." 

 

"Well... ,"  Brian smiled as he looked at Molly.

 

Justin looked at the people at the table, threw down his napkin and walked toward the door. 

 

"Justin,.... Where are you going?" Jennifer asked, confused at his abrupt departure.

 

"Out." Justin grabbed his jacket and walked out the door.

 

Everyone watched Justin walk out the door, but no one stood to go after him.

 

"Brian...?" Jennifer asked as he watched his partner storm out.

 

"He's angry.  He asked us to talk, hoping for someone to comment on Molly's statement, but we ignored the topic.  It was the biggest pink elephant in the world to him." Brian stood up and took his plate to the kitchen and threw away the scraps. 

 

 

"Shouldn't you go after him?  He trusts you."  Jennifer asked and almost pleaded with Brian.

 

 

"If he doesn't come back in fifteen minutes, I'll go find him.  He can't have gone far.  He has no money.  He's just queening out; a very Justin thing to do."

 

 

"How can you be so sure?  I'm worried Brian."  Jennifer wrung her hands a few times and then started clearing the table.

 

 

"He's been my partner for almost three years and I've been with him almost eight years.  You get to know someone pretty well."  Brian finished clearing the table and grabbed his coat.  "I'll go find him.  If I'm not back in an hour, call Carl and fill him in.  See if he'd be willing to unofficially have his guys go look for Justin."

 

 

Molly stood up from the table to bring her plate to the kitchen.  "Brian.... I'm sorry. I forgot.  Justin and you have been a couple for so long...." Molly went to Brian and gave him a hug which he allowed.

 

 

Brian kissed the top of her head.  "No apologies, no regrets, Molly.  I'm sure when the gang comes over, one of them would let something slip.  He'll be fine."

 

 

"Okay.  Take care of him."  She opened the door and watched as he walked out of their condo and onto the sidewalk.  When she could no longer make out his figure, she closed the door and went to help her mom dry the pans from dinner.

 

TBC