- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Thanks to Judy for the plot bunny.





Cat and Mouse

Part 1
Justin closed the hatch on his mother's station wagon. He turned to look up at the B and B that had been his home for the last few years. He wanted to memorize every detail even though he had a myriad of sketches of the place. He was taking a lot of them with him. The car contained his worldly belongings, everything that was important, his clothes, his computer, his CD's, his sketches. He looked back at the house once more wondering if he really could leave. He loved this place. It was safe. It was beautiful. It was home.

"Justin," his mother's voice brought him back to reality. She held out a small cooler to him. "I packed this for you. I know you'll stop along the way but I made some sandwiches and there's some soda and snacks if you feel like having them."

"Thanks, Mom," Justin said taking the cooler. He opened the door of the car and set it on the floor in front of the passenger seat. It would be handy for when he got thirsty or hungry.

"Are you all set?" Jennifer Taylor asked her son.

"As much as I'll ever be," Justin replied.

"I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," Justin said pulling his mother into a long hug. "Maybe … maybe I shouldn't go, Mom. There's so much to do around here. You need my help."

"Justin," Jennifer said pushing him back so she could look into his eyes. "I want you to listen carefully." Justin nodded. "This place … and me, we'll be fine. I want you to go get the kind of education you deserve. You're smart and capable and you need to experience the world. 'Carpe diem' as they say. The world awaits. And Daphne's already there waiting for you, sweetheart. You're going to learn so much. It's time for you to go … and enjoy."

"I know, but it's so far away," Justin said already missing his home.

"Pittsburgh Institute of Fine Art is a wonderful school. You worked so hard to get in, and they only take the best. That's you."

"Thanks, Mom. I guess I'm just a little scared about leaving here and going off to the big city," Justin said with a hesitant smile.

"Pittsburgh's not that big and Cape Cod's not that small. You'll be fine."

Justin drew in a deep breath. "Then I guess I better hit the road if I want to get there by evening."

"I love you, sweetheart. Call me when you arrive … or if you need anything."

Justin nodded and gave his mother another hug. He would miss her so much. He quickly climbed into the car and started the engine. He put the car in gear and started down the driveway. He looked back as he turned onto the road and waved at his mother who stood in front of the B and B. She waved back and then he couldn't see her anymore as he rounded a bend in the road.

With a quick swipe Justin brushed away the tear that rolled down his cheek. He wasn't going to cry like a stupid little faggot, even if that was what he was.

On the drive to Pittsburgh Justin had plenty of time to think. He knew Daphne would be waiting for him when he arrived. She had found an apartment they could share while she went to Carnegie Mellon and he went to PIFA. He would love living with Daphne. She was always so much fun to be around. They had been friends forever.

If only he wouldn't miss his mother and the B and B and his room so much. It was so perfect there. At eighteen Justin had been through a lot. His parents had both been very successful in their careers. His mother was a corporate lawyer who had handled high profile cases and had made a lot of money. His father was a very successful Boston businessman, until five years ago. Justin drew in a breath at the thought.

His father had owned a sailboat and Justin had always enjoyed sailing with him. They made a good crew together. They had been planning to go sailing one weekend when Justin was thirteen. Justin had just started high school and was making some new friends. His friends wanted him to come to a party which he did in spite of having promised his father he would go sailing. As a result his father went sailing alone. And he never came back.

It was a couple of days before they found the boat and his dad. Craig had died of a heart attack alone and helpless out on the water. Justin had always blamed himself. He should have been with his father. He could have radioed for help and maybe his father would still be alive.

Ever since Justin had withdrawn into the safety of his remaining family. He was almost afraid to leave his mother alone for fear that something might happen to her. That's why going to Pittsburgh was a very big deal for him. He wasn't at all sure that he was doing the right thing.

After Craig died, Jennifer had talked to him about what they should do with the rest of their lives. She decided to quit law. It was a profitable but cutthroat business and she suddenly saw the need to change the direction of her life. Finally she found the old house on Cape Cod and decided to open the B and B. At first Justin thought it was crazy, but his mother loved to decorate and was the consummate hostess. She had overhauled the house using money from Craig's insurance. She assured Justin that they would be fine financially. Both Jennifer and Craig had invested wisely. The B and B became their home and was usually full of customers all year round.

Justin had fallen in love with the house when he first saw it, and even more so after his mother got through fixing it up. It was his home and he loved his room. It was on the second floor with a couple of big windows that looked out onto Cape Cod Bay. He had drawn the view from that window so many times. He had hundreds of sketches of the house too. He loved every bit of gingerbread and every brick in the old building.

A flood of tears welled up behind Justin's eyes as he thought about his home. He was tempted to take the next overpass and turn around. He could be back home in an hour or two, safe and sound in his room with his mother.

He was such a wimp! "Smarten up, Taylor. Get a grip," he said aloud hoping it would have the right effect on his aching heart.

After several more miles a road sign indicated a rest stop was coming up. He decided he would pull in. He needed to pee. After that he could enjoy the lunch his mother had packed for him. He would sit at a picnic table and not have to worry about driving off the road while he tried to eat a sandwich. He took the turn into the rest area. He had a fleeting thought that he was simply prolonging his arrival in Pittsburgh, keeping his home close for a bit longer. He was so pathetic sometimes.

In the restroom he stepped up to the urinal and unzipped. While he was peeing he heard someone else come in. Justin tensed and stared straight ahead. He could feel eyes on his back as he heard the water run in one of the sinks.

"Hey," a voice said as Justin pulled up the zipper on his jeans.

Justin turned and looked at a young man with brown hair and green eyes. The man smiled at him. "Hey," Justin said softly as he washed his hands.

He risked another glance at the man as he stuck his hands under the drier. The guy was fairly good looking. He smiled at Justin again and then cocked his head toward one of the stalls. Justin didn't have a lot of sexual experience but he understood the invitation. He wouldn't mind being blown but usually the instigator was the one who expected to receive the servicing. Justin liked being in control and he wasn't about to take the chance that he wouldn't be. He shook his head. The guy shrugged and walked out.

Justin let out his breath. Sometimes he was too cautious. He knew that. But most of the time he just wasn't prepared to take the risk. He wanted safety and security. You could hardly expect to find that in a highway restroom.

He made his way back to the car and lifted the small cooler out from the front. He carried it over to a nearby table. He dug through the contents finding a soda and a sandwich. It was his favorite kind and he smiled thinking of his mother making it for him in the big kitchen at the B and B. As he was munching on the ham and cheese, he saw the guy from the restroom come out of the fast food area carrying a bag of chips and a soda. He glanced over at Justin. Justin knew he could still have an encounter with this guy, but he also knew he couldn't. He looked down at the table while he chewed his sandwich. When he looked up the guy was nowhere in sight. He had probably driven away. Justin thought that was maybe for the best.

With a sigh he finished his soda, threw the remains of his lunch in the garbage and took an apple to eat as he drove. He stowed the cooler in the car and climbed in. He put the key in the ignition and stared out the windshield. He wondered why he was such a mouse about men. That's what Daphne always said, "Don't be such a mouse. Go after what you want. Don't hide in the B and B and wait for life to pass you by." That's what he had done once again. He had passed up that opportunity with the guy in the restroom. But it was better to be in control, better not to take stupid chances, better not to get hurt, better to be safe.

He started the car and merged back into traffic. A few more hours and he would be in Pittsburgh. He shivered a bit at the thought. He didn't know what waited for him in Pittsburgh, but Daphne would make sure everything was all right. At least that was what he was counting on.

On the outskirts of Pittsburgh Justin pulled into a gas station. He needed to check his route. He had printed it out on Mapquest. He could stand to fill the car with gas just in case he got lost. He filled the tank and went inside to pay for the fuel. At the counter was a young man about his own age. Justin looked at him and smiled. He had dirty blond hair and a couple days growth of patchy beard. He looked scruffy and sexy. Justin felt his cock stir in his pants.

The young man looked Justin up and down as he took the cash Justin proffered. As he made the change, his look told Justin that he could be had. Justin was tempted but he didn't see how the logistics of it could happen. The kid was at work and there didn't seem to be anybody else around that could relieve him. He couldn't just walk out and leave the place unattended. Justin didn't like the idea of being on his knees behind the counter while the guy was making change for customers. Besides he wanted to be the one getting blown. Wasn't going to happen. He took the money and stuffed it in his wallet. With a wry smile he made his way back to the car.

This trip was certainly proving to be interesting. That was two possible sexual encounters and he hadn't even reached his destination. He climbed behind the wheel and started the engine. He pulled away from the pumps and to the side of the lot. He needed to study the map before he went any further.

A few minutes later he was just about sure he had the route memorized when he nearly jumped out of his skin as someone tapped at the window of the station wagon. He rolled down the window and looked up into the face of the kid from behind the cash.

"Hey?" Justin said.

"Hey," the guy breathed. "I thought maybe you were interested in … you know." He seemed kind of shy.

"That's what you thought, was it?" Justin asked with a nervous chuckle. "Maybe I was."

"Past tense?" the guy asked looking at him with puppy dog eyes.

"Present tense," Justin said not feeling any kind of threat from this guy. Justin felt like he would be the one in control of what happened.

"I give a pretty decent blowjob," the guy said.

"Okay." Justin studied the face in front of him. He was definitely up for this if the instrument in his jeans was any indication.

"Pull around to the back of the building. There's a parking spot there and I'll meet you in a minute."

Justin nodded and the kid went back inside the station. Justin started the car and pulled around to where the guy had indicated. There was a high wall holding back the soil from the place next door and a fence in front of the car and the wall of the building on the other side. Pretty secluded for early evening. Justin wondered what the fuck he was thinking doing this, but he was supposed to experience new things. Everybody kept telling him that.

He thought back to the first time he had jerked off with a kid at school. They were both gay and had finally found each other somehow. They had been scared out of their wits as they helped each other orgasm, wondering if they would be discovered in the washroom or if they wouldn't do it right. It had been kind of spectacular in a scary kind of way. They had kissed afterwards and for a while they had met every day to do the same thing. After a week or two the kid had gone down on Justin and that had been even more spectacular. He had returned the favor. For a couple of months they were inseparable. That was when they did most of their experimenting, but Justin had refused to go the final step. He knew he wasn't ready for that. Ultimately that hesitation had cost him the relationship. Darcy had found somebody else that would do what he wanted.

Justin blinked hard. That had hurt when Darcy had told him that he didn't want to see him anymore, that he had found somebody else. He had vowed not to put himself in a vulnerable position like that again. He didn't like being hurt.

After that Justin had had some encounters where there was kissing and jerking off and blowjobs, but he had never allowed himself to get attached to any of those guys. And he had never allowed them or himself to go any further. He wasn't exactly a virgin, but pretty damn close. Maybe he was just a scared little fool. But that was the way it was.

Justin glanced around wondering if this guy was coming back. Maybe he was making a fool of Justin. Maybe it was all some sick joke. Justin was about to start the car and get out of there when the passenger door opened. The young man slid in with a smile.

He leaned towards Justin and sought a kiss. Justin turned away and pushed the kid's head toward his crotch. The guy looked disappointed but he reached for the fly of Justin's jeans and pulled the zipper down. He rubbed the palm of his hand over Justin's hardening cock. Justin groaned in anticipation. His head went back against the headrest and he pushed his hips across the seat towards the object of his relief. Thank God the station wagon wasn't a stick shift so there was nothing in the way. The guy lifted the cooler from the floor and tossed it into the back.

That done he slid onto his knees in the passenger side and freed Justin's cock from his underwear. He smiled before he sucked it into his mouth. Justin moaned louder as he felt the heat envelop his length. The kid worked up and down his dick. There wasn't a lot of technique to what he was doing, but it felt good and before too long Justin cried out his release.

As Justin adjusted his jeans and zipped up the kid took that moment to say, "My name's Jake, what's yours?"

"Justin."

"That was nice, Justin. I wish I had time for you to blow me, but my break's over. It looks like you're moving," he added glancing at the boxes in the back of the car. Will you be staying in Pittsburgh?" Justin nodded. "Can I give you my number?"

"Um … sure." What harm was there in taking the number. He'd probably never see the kid again, but you never knew. He had been kind of sweet.

The kid scribbled something on a piece of paper that he pulled from his pocket. "Have a good day?" he said as he handed Justin the paper and then got out of the car. With a smile and a little wave he disappeared around the building. Justin looked at the paper and shook his head. With a little chuckle he stuffed it into the pocket of his jeans. What the fuck was he thinking?

He started the car and backed out of the spot. He pulled up at the street and waited to get back into traffic. He refused to look back at the gas station. He would have liked to know if Jake was watching but he wouldn't allow himself to do that.

After one wrong turn and some heavy traffic Justin arrived at the apartment building that matched the address that Daphne had sent him. He had barely stepped out of the car when a human whirlwind came flying out the front door and threw herself into his arms. Daphne hugged and kissed him for several minutes before she finally found her voice.

"Where the fuck have you been?" she demanded. "You should have been here hours ago. Did you get lost? I was afraid you'd changed your mind and weren't coming. I'm so fucking glad to see you!"

"You too, Daph," Justin said with a laugh. She always made him feel better.

"Come on, I'll show you the apartment and then we can unload the car. I'm so happy you're here. I've been looking at things for us to do and places to go. There's a gay area here called Liberty Avenue. I want to take you there. You'll die when you see what it's like. And I heard about this great club called Babylon. We have to go one night. There's supposed to be the best looking gay men in Pennsylvania there. It will be so great!" Daphne kept babbling as she pulled Justin along with her into the building.

Justin was glad to see her too, but he wasn't so sure about all the things she had planned for him. He hoped she wouldn't be too disappointed if he didn't go out to clubs and bars and things. He just wanted to settle into the apartment and feel safe and secure first. He wanted it to feel like home before he ventured out to all these places Daphne was raving about. Maybe he'd go there eventually, but first he needed to unload his belongings, set up his room and call his mother. Those were his priorities. Clubs and gay men would just have to wait.

A solid hour of hard work and they had all of Justin's stuff in the apartment. Thank God they were on the second floor and no higher because there was no elevator. It was an old building but it had character. Justin liked that about it, but he wasn't too thrilled at how small his bedroom was. Daphne's was even smaller.

"Stop comparing this to the B and B. There is no comparison," she told him.

"I know but I miss my room already."

"It is a great room. Your mom's not renting it out now that you're gone, is she?"

"No, you twit, of course not. It will always be my room."

"Even when you're a hundred?"

"I'll be dead and gone by then. Whoever wants it can have the whole building."

"Really, Justin, you'll get to like it here."

Justin looked into his friend's brown eyes and he felt the tears well up. He knew she was right, but that didn't make leaving his home any easier. "I should call my mother," Justin said, "now that we've got the car unpacked."

"Can you use your cell and I'll call for pizza. I think we need a celebration dinner since you're finally here."

Justin smiled and nodded. It was nice to be wanted and appreciated. Justin walked into his room. Daphne had found a cheap bed somewhere and Justin's mother had told her to order a new mattress and box spring. She said that was her housewarming gift to her son. Justin flopped down on the nice firm bed that he and Daphne had made up with the sheets Jennifer had sent with him. It felt good. He hit his speed dial and Jennifer answered almost immediately.

"Hi sweetheart, are you there?"

"Yep, Daphne and I just finished unloading the car. We made up the bed and I'll unpack the rest of the boxes tomorrow."

"How's your room?"

"Small."

"Compared to your room here, I'm not surprised. But … is it all right?" Justin could hear the worry in her voice.

"It's fine, Mom. Actually, the building's a bit old but it seems to be well maintained and it has character."

"I'm glad. It sounds like you like it."

"I think I will," Justin said a little hesitantly. He couldn't tell her that he'd like nothing better than to be in his own bedroom back at the B and B.

"Are you going to PIFA tomorrow?"

"Maybe," Justin replied. "Daphne and I haven't had a chance to discuss that. I'm really glad I have the car though."

"Even if it is a very uncool station wagon?"

Justin laughed. "Even if. This place is close to Carnegie Mellon, but not so close to PIFA. I'll need the car or else a lot of transfers on the bus."

"That's why I gave it to you, sweetheart. I want this to be easy for you … and fun."

"Thanks again, Mom."

"You're very welcome. Has Daphne arranged for any fun things to do?"

"She's been checking out the local gay area. She seems to think I'm going to spend all my time in the clubs and bars." Justin waited as his mother didn't say anything for a minute.

"Be careful, honey. I … know you will. But just … be careful."

"I will."

"I guess I should let you go," Jennifer said reluctantly. "I miss you, but I'm glad you're there."

"I'll talk to you tomorrow."

Justin cut the connection and went to find Daphne. He hoped that pizza came soon because he was starving. And then he would spend his first night in this place away from his mother, away from his home.