- Text Size +

 

Cat and Mouse

Part 7


"Justin, I'll miss you," Daphne said as they stood beside the station wagon.

"I'm only going to be gone for a week."

"But Cape Cod's so far away."

"When I was in Cape Cod you were telling me how close it was. Right around the corner, you used to say," Justin laughed.

"That was then and this is now. You are coming back, aren't you?" Daphne asked worried about Justin's state of mind.

"Of course I am," Justin declared. "Why would you think I'm not?"

Daphne rolled her eyes. "You have been known to run … and things between you and Brian haven't been too great."

"Try non-existent," Justin grimaced. He had heard nothing from the man since he had been told to fuck off.

"Well, let's not worry about that now. Your mother will be so happy to see you. She'll love having you there over the Labor Day weekend."

"Yeah, the B and B will be full and I'll have lots of work to do." He laughed gently. He was actually looking forward to helping his mother, making beds, doing laundry, serving breakfast. He could sleep in his own room and look out at the sea. He'd smell the salt air and feel like himself again. His mother would be there. He was picturing her smile. He could hardly wait.

"You better stop daydreaming about home and get on the road if you want to get there before dark."

"You're right," Justin agreed. He pulled Daphne against him in a big hug. He would miss her while he was away. She had made their apartment feel like home, or as close to it as he could get when he was away from Cape Cod. He appreciated everything she had done for him.

"Say hi to your mother for me," Daphne said as she released him from the hug.

"I will."

"Drive carefully," Daphne advised as he climbed into the driver's seat and started the car.

"See you in a week and then we start class," Justin said.

"It will be fine," Daphne tried to reassure him.

"I know," Justin replied putting the car in gear. "Bye."

And he was on his way. Daphne stood on the sidewalk watching the car pull up to the intersection. She waved before it turned the corner and disappeared from her line of vision. She heaved a sigh wondering if she had done the right thing. She sure as hell hoped so.

Justin raised his hand in a brusque wave as he turned the corner. He felt really funny leaving Daphne. He was going home and that was a good thing. His mother would be there and he was so looking forward to seeing her. But he would miss Daphne and her friendship. Daphne had helped him in so many ways since he had applied to PIFA.

He had changed quite a bit since he arrived in Pittsburgh. He had a job and was about to start classes. That was a very big step for him. He was sure he could do it too. A few months ago he wouldn't have been sure about that at all.

Inevitably Justin's thoughts turned to Brian, as they always seemed to do these days. He wondered if Brian had noticed any change in him since they had first met. He wasn't sure Brian would notice any such thing. He couldn't say that he had seen any change in the older man, although being older he probably didn't see any need for change. Justin had to agree with Daphne that part of Brian's attraction was that he seemed so comfortable in his own skin. He knew who he was, so why should he change? He had made the kind of life for himself that he wanted, and it didn't include relationships, especially with a kid like him.

He wondered for the millionth time what it would be like to be with Brian. He had to be a great lover if his kisses were any indication. Justin was still a virgin as far as anal penetration went, and he knew Brian would probably want that if they ever did get together. And he would want it too. He'd like to experience everything, and experiencing it with Brian would be awesome. If only he wasn't so timid, so afraid of being hurt, of being left behind.

Justin let out a big sigh. He wished he was confident like Brian. Then he could do whatever he wanted. He was sure Brian never hesitated or thought and thought before he acted. He just did it. It must be so easy for Brian Kinney. He was handsome, rich, confident, arrogant, cynical, aloof and probably cruel.

Justin laughed. He had gone from singing the praises of Brian Kinney in his head to listing most of the man's faults. Christ, he needed to get a life of his own. He needed to stop thinking about Brian all the time. Nothing good was going to come of it. Brian didn't want him anymore, so he should just forget all about the man. If only it was that easy. Maybe when he got to Cape Cod and was busy and had other things to do, he'd be able to put Brian out of his mind. Maybe!

The long drive to Cape Cod drew to a close as Justin followed the familiar road to the old house where his mother would be waiting. He turned into the driveway and saw her standing on the long porch that framed the front of the house. He waved as he pulled up. Before he could get fully out of the car she had him in a hug.

"Oh Justin, I've missed you so much. Welcome home, sweetheart."

"I missed you too," Justin grinned. He loved the feeling of being here. This was home.

"Bring your bag up to your room. I've made some lemonade and we'll have it on the porch."

"Sounds great," Justin said taking his small bag up to his old room.

It looked much the same as he remembered it. He stopped at the window looking out to the sea. There were a few sailboats bobbing across the water. He opened the window and let the late afternoon breeze blow through. He smelled the salt air and smiled. Everything was just like it should be. Leaving his bag on the bed to be unpacked later he went down to meet his mother.

"Sit down, Justin, and tell me all about Pittsburgh," his mother said as he joined her at the little wicker table on the porch.

"I'm doing okay there. Daph's been great!"

"Just okay? You're not having the time of your life?"

"I've got a job and I'm going to school. It's not like there's a party going on all the time," Justin said with an edge of testiness to his voice.

"There could have been a party all the time. I sent you there early to meet people, and make new friends, hang out together," Jennifer explained.

"I know, mom, and I've done some of that."

"You've made new friends?" Jennifer asked hopefully. "Who?"

"Um … there's Emmett."

"Is Emmett another student?"

"No, he works in a clothing store."

"Oh. Anybody else?"

"I like the woman I work with. Her name's Debbie. She's kind of loud and brassy but she has a good heart. And then there's her son, Michael."

"What's he like?"

"I don't know him very well."

"Is that all?" Jennifer asked.

"There's this guy, Brian," Justin said hesitantly. He wasn't sure why he was even mentioning him.

"Is he a friend?"

"Kind of."

"What does that mean?"

"I … I don't think I want to talk about him right now."

"I'm not trying to pry, Justin. I just want you to enjoy yourself and expand your horizons."

"I know."

"Well, enough about that. Do you want some more lemonade?"

"No, I should go unpack my bag."

"Actually, you're only going to be in your room tonight and then I have to ask you to sleep on the air mattress in my room."

"Why?" Justin frowned.

"I had a mix up with reservations and I need your room for a guest who is arriving for the long weekend. He'll be here Friday."

"But it's my room," Justin protested.

"I know, sweetie, but there was no other way to solve the problem … unless you keep your room and I sleep on the air mattress on the floor in there."

"It's okay, mom. You don't have to do that. I guess I'll leave my stuff in the bag until I move to your room tomorrow."

"Do you want to go out for a good seafood dinner tonight?" Jennifer asked trying to make up for pushing Justin out of his room.

"That sounds great," Justin said without much enthusiasm.

"I'm sorry about the room, honey, but it couldn't be helped."

"I think I'll walk down to the water and take my sketchbook with me. That is, if you don't need me to do anything else."

"You go ahead. I'll make a reservation at Antonio's for eight."

"I'll be back in plenty of time," Justin said going up to his room to get his sketchpad.

He looked around again thinking how much he had been longing to be home, to be in his own room. And now he was only going to have it for one night. That sucked!

He grabbed the pouch that held his sketching materials and headed down the shortcut to the beach. There were only a few people left on the beach as the day was drawing to a close. He found his favorite rock and sat down. He loved this spot. He could look out at the ocean and watch the boats. He could see the marina way down the shore and the fishing boats starting to come in with their catches. And if he turned around he could look up the hill at his home.

Justin pulled out his sketchbook and flipped to a fresh page. He intended to draw the B and B up on the hill. His pencil began moving across the page. Suddenly he knew he wasn't going to be drawing a landscape. His pencil moved with swiftness and sureness.

Some long minutes later Brian Kinney looked back at him from the page. Justin held it away from him getting a better and more critical look at what he had drawn. God, the man was beautiful. He had drawn Brian from the shoulders up showing those amazing eyes in their full glory. Brian had a slight smile on his face, not his usual smirk, but the beginning of a true smile. This was the way Justin liked to think of Brian. This was when he thought he could love the man. But it was foolish to think that.

He had only ever seen that look on Brian's face once, when they had been in the park before Brian had kissed him. He tried to remember what he had said or what had happened that had made Brian have that expression on his face. That was part of why he had kissed the man. He could almost feel his lips burn with the memory of Brian's lips on his.

He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and tried to get some saliva moving inside his dry mouth. He had to stop doing this to himself. Whatever might have happened between him and Brian was never going to happen now. He needed to put it all behind him.

Justin turned back towards the sea and watched the sun as it began to head for the horizon. He wondered if there'd be a beautiful sunset tonight. If there was they'd have a good view from Antonio's.

He gathered up his pencils and put everything into his pouch. It was time to go back. He started the climb up the hill. It was much easier coming down, but he didn't mind. It gave him time to get thoughts of Brian Kinney out of his head and get his cock to behave. He didn't want to have to explain any of this to his mother.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Hours later Justin lay in his old bed unable to sleep. The bed was as comfortable as it had always been, but his mind would not let him rest. Every time he closed his eyes he saw Brian's face before him. He had jerked off several times already, and nothing seemed to help. He rolled over and looked at the clock. It read 3:27. Shit! He had to get up in a couple of hours to help his mother make breakfast for their guests.

He lay still hoping that might relax his body and allow him a few minutes of rest. He wanted to stop thinking about Brian Kinney but nothing he did seemed to make that possible.

When his alarm finally went off he wasn't sure whether he had slept a bit or not. He dragged himself out of the bed and into the shower. The water refreshed him and he felt better as he dressed.

A few minutes later he met his mother in the kitchen. He began setting the tables in the dining room folding the napkins carefully into beautiful fans the way he had learned from years of practice. When he was finished he went back into the kitchen to see what his mother wanted him to do next. She was filling individual tart shells with an egg mixture.

"Yum, asparagus quiche," Justin said.

"Also quiche Lorraine if someone doesn't like asparagus."

"Hope you made lots," Justin grinned.

"Plenty," Jennifer chuckled. "You haven't been gone long enough for me to forget that appetite of yours."

Justin kissed her cheek. "Thanks. What else do you want me to do?"

"The fruit cocktail is in the fridge. Stir it up and you can fill some of the fruit nappies. Don't fill them all because a couple of our guests like to sleep late."

Justin got to work as instructed. He carried some of the fruit dishes out to the tables so that they would be all set up when people began coming down. He didn't have long to wait. A middle aged couple came into the dining room.

"Good morning," Justin said cheerily flashing one of his smiles even thought he didn't feel much like smiling.

"Hello, young man," the woman said. "We haven't seen you here before. We're the Hendersons."

"I'm Justin, Jennifer's son, and I'm home for a few days."

"And helping your mother, how sweet!" the lady replied.

"It's the least I can do considering all she's done for me."

"That's an admirable attitude, young man," the gentleman said.

"Can I get you some juice and coffee or tea?" Justin asked. He took their requests and went to the kitchen.

"Who's up?" Jennifer asked.

"The Hendersons."

"They're always up early. They're leaving after breakfast."

"That's too bad. They seem nice. Can't the person who's getting my room take theirs instead?" Justin had to ask.

"Another couple arrives this afternoon to take that room."

Justin scowled. "It was worth a try."

"I'm really sorry about your room but it just couldn't be helped."

"It's okay. I'll get over it," Justin said as he made his way out of the kitchen carrying juice and the coffee pot.

Justin and Jennifer were very busy for the next couple of hours as their guests all came down for breakfast. Justin kept up his smile and did enjoy talking to most of the people. He recommended things to do and places to see to those who asked. He helped those checking out with their luggage.

By ten o'clock the late risers were finishing up their breakfast and Jennifer had several quiches in the oven. They had Justin's name on them. Finally the last people left the dining room and Justin dropped into a chair in the kitchen. Jennifer set a plate with three little quiches in front of him.

"These look delicious, mom," Justin said digging in.

"You were great this morning. I don't know how I would have done it without you." Jennifer brought a plate of her own to the table and sat down with her son. "I had almost forgotten how nice it is to have you here helping me."

"I could always stay," Justin replied only half kidding.

"Is everything all right, Justin? You look tired."

"I … I'm fine. I just had trouble sleeping. Not used to my own bed anymore."

"Then maybe you'll appreciate the air mattress tonight," Jennifer joked giving Justin's hand an affectionate squeeze.

They ate in silence for a few minutes.

"Can you help me with the beds?" Jennifer asked. "Or do you have things you want to do?"

"Of course, I'll help you," Justin declared. "It's twice as fast when there's one of us on each side of the bed."

"I was hoping you'd say that. Let's load the dishwasher and get this done."

"Aye, aye, cap'n," Justin said saluting and grinning at his mother.

She gave him a gentle swat as he went to gather up the last of the dishes from the dining room.

They made all the beds including the one in Justin's room. By the time they were finished they sat down on the porch to have a sandwich and a glass of lemonade. Jennifer asked Justin if he would go into town and pick up some supplies for the long weekend. She didn't want to get caught short when the stores were closed.

Justin went off to get the needed items. He enjoyed driving through the village. He waved to a few people that he knew. Parking the car in the market lot he got out and searched his pocket for the list that his mother had given him. He looked up to see that a new movie rental place had opened next door to the market. That made him think of 'Don Juan de Marco' and that put him back into the funk that he had managed to not think about since he got up that morning.

"Fucking Brian Kinney!" he muttered as he went into the store.

It didn't take him long to get the items he needed. When he came out he decided he'd go rent a movie for the weekend. Maybe he could find something good, something that would help him take his mind off 'he who shall remain nameless'.

In the movie store he searched through the racks. He found that many of the current movies didn't interest him all that much. And they had really been picked over. He walked into the aisles containing older movies. His eyes, of course, lighted on 'Don Juan de Marco'.

"Shit!" he whispered to himself.

He stopped and stared at the movie. He wouldn't mind seeing it again. It really wasn't bad. Even if he never got to discuss it with Brian, he wanted to decide whether he thought the Johnny Depp character really was Don Juan.

With a sigh he picked it from the shelf and carried it to the counter. If Daphne knew what he was doing, she would ride his ass mercilessly about being a wuss and pining for something he was too chicken to go after. But Daphne was far away, and so was Brian.

He drove home and carried in his bags of groceries. He helped his mother put them all away, asking if all the guests had checked in.

"All except the one who will be staying in your room," Jennifer said.

"Figures."

"He said he might be a little late when I talked with him on the phone. He asked for recommendations of places to have a late supper."

"Antonio's is always great. I enjoyed our dinner last night."

"Thanks honey. I'm glad you liked it."

Just then the buzzer sounded indicating that someone was at the front door.

"Would you get that, Justin? I'll just finish clearing all this away."

"Sure," Justin said. "I wonder if it's our tardy guest."

Justin walked to the front door. He could see the silhouette of a tall man through the lacy curtains on the front door. He turned the knob and pulled the door open. His gaze looked into hazel eyes that he recognized all too well.

"Brian?" he said in shock. "What the fuck are you doing here?"

"Why, I'm staying for the weekend, Sunshine!" Brian replied as he carried his suitcase into the front hall.

Justin blinked and stared after him not knowing what to say.