- Text Size +

 

Cat and Mouse

Part 8

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Justin demanded as he stared at Brian.

"I believe it's called a vacation. I'm spending the long weekend at this fine establishment," Brian smirked.

"How … how did you find this place?"

"I have my sources."

"Daphne!"

Brian stuck his tongue in his cheek and didn't say anything.

"Take your bag and get out," Justin said through gritted teeth.

Brian raised an eyebrow at the vehemence of Justin's words. "I'm a paying guest and I have a reservation."

"Mother," Justin called.

"Yes, dear," Jennifer said coming into the foyer.

"Take care of this paying guest," Justin said spitting out the last two words. "I have to be somewhere else."

Justin bolted out the door not bothering to close it behind him. The door hit the wall rattling the glass behind the lace curtains.

"Well, that went really well," Brian said sarcastically.

"What … what did you say to him?" Jennifer asked looking Brian up and down. She knew this had to be Brian Kinney. He wasn't at all what she had expected.

"I may have been a little … cavalier in my attitude. Justin didn't seem to want me here."

"Daphne said you wanted to make amends to my son. Is this how you plan to do it?" Jennifer challenged.

Brian knew that look. He had seen it often enough from Debbie. It was the mother bird protecting her little one from the prowling cat.

"Maybe I should go back to Pittsburgh," Brian said suddenly feeling totally out of his depth.

"Maybe you should get this right, that is, if you do have feelings for my son." Jennifer stared into the hazel eyes noting the wince when she said the word feelings.

"I … I don't know what to do," Brian admitted. Every part of him wanted to run. He hated this type of crap. But some part, maybe his long unused heart, wanted him to stay.

"Leave your bag and come to the kitchen," Jennifer said softening slightly. "We could both use a cup of tea."

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Justin had raced out of the house and careened down the hill to the beach. He nearly fell a couple of times, but that would have been okay with him. Having a broken neck was preferable to having Brian Kinney in his home. How could Daphne have done this?

Justin ran along the beach tears running down his face. He felt so betrayed. Everyone thought they knew what was best for him. He didn't want Brian Kinney here. This was his one safe place in all the world and now it had been invaded.

Finally running out of breath Justin slowed and leaned over placing his hands on his knees. He gulped some air and tried to regain some control. After a minute or two he stood up and wiped the tears from his face. He looked around still gasping for breath. He was far down the beach from the B and B, but he could see it up on the hill when he looked back. He started walking back over the path he had just come. All the while he stared at his home wondering what was going on up there. What was his mother saying to Brian? And what the fuck would Brian tell his mother? He wasn't sure he'd be able to face either of them after this.

His favorite rock on the beach came into view and he made his way over to it. With a dejected sigh he flopped down in his usual spot needing to think and decide what he was going to do. He hoped Brian had got back into his car and headed for Pittsburgh. But he would never be that lucky. Maybe Brian would go to his room, Justin's room, and stay there for the whole weekend. That would be good, but he knew it would never happen. Maybe Brian would come after him. If he did, then where the fuck could he run? He shuddered at the thought of being trapped by Brian Kinney. But it wasn't all a bad shudder. He felt his cock respond to the thought. Jesus, what was he going to do? He stared out at the sea hoping the answer would appear before him.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Brian sat silently in the kitchen while Jennifer put the kettle on and organized a plate of cookies. He wondered how she could be so calm. Who the hell cared about cookies at a time like this? He should just get up and walk out. He didn't need any of this shit. That fucking Daphne!

Except … except, he did need something that was here. And that was Justin. When Daphne had come to the loft that night he had been amused by the ferocity of Justin's little friend. Amused, until she had said some things that had really hit home. Things that had made him think. Now it was all on the line and he wasn't sure he was up to dealing with it. The backroom at Babylon was calling to him ever so loudly.

"Here's your tea," Jennifer said setting the mug and the plate of cookies in front of him.

"I think I've made a big mistake," Brian said ignoring the tea. "Maybe I should just go back to Pittsburgh."

"You're not going anywhere until you tell me why you came here in the first place. Now have a sip of your tea and start talking."

"I'm not much for talking," Brian admitted as he added some sugar to his tea.

"Then that has to be part of your problem with Justin. He loves to talk."

"I've noticed that."

"Brian, when Daphne asked me to put you in Justin's room for the weekend, I have to admit that I had grave reservations about doing it. She seems to think that you and Justin are meant to be together. How do you feel about that?"

Brian groaned inwardly. How the fuck could he talk about this with Justin's mother of all people? He didn't even know himself what this was all about. He was in uncharted waters.

When Brian didn't answer and merely continued to stir his tea, Jennifer said, "If you're going to hurt him, then I guess you better go back to Pittsburgh … right now."

"I … I don't want to hurt him," Brian whispered.

"Then what do you want?"

Brian drew in a long breath and took the plunge. "I'm not a relationship kind of guy." He watched Jennifer's eyebrows shoot up and a frown creased her brow. "I never believed in them. My own family only served to reinforce those ideas. But since I met Justin I've been doing some … re-evaluating." There he had said it.

"I see," Jennifer said. "So you don't really know what you want with Justin."

"I … I just know I want him. Daphne asked me what my life would be in a couple of years if I just walked away from your son. I had never thought much about my life. It just was what it was. But I know, at least I think I know, that something has been missing, that I want something more … now that I'm getting a little older." Brian allowed himself to breathe. He was sure Jennifer had no idea how hard that had been for him to say.

"About the age thing," Jennifer began. "My son is only eighteen."

"He's a very old eighteen."

"I know that only too well. Since his father died he has taken on the role of my protector and helper. He has grown so cautious about everything, wanting to be safe, to be there for me when I need him, to save us both from danger."

"Is that why he runs away all the time?"

Jennifer flinched. "Yes," she breathed. "I've been trying to encourage him to broaden his horizons. It took a lot of talking to get him to go to PIFA. He hasn't really been away from me before. But I want him to live his own life. I want him to be happy."

Brian studied this woman with a new respect. "I want him to be happy too."

"Then you need to figure out what you want from him. I know he wants to feel safe. His greatest fear is that someone he loves will abandon him, leave him like his father did."

"I don't know much about this kind of thing. I can't promise never to hurt him or leave him."

"But you can promise that that is not your intention … to use him and then kick him out."

Brian frowned. "What did Daphne tell you about me?"

"Enough," Jennifer admitted. "She filled me in on your reputation as the stud of Liberty Avenue."

"Christ, then why did you even let me come here?"

"If you're what my son wants then I won't stand in his way."

"Even with the age difference and my reputation?"

"I didn't say I liked those things, but you seem like an honest man. If you want this to work, then I will do my best to help you … both of you."

Brian sipped his tea wondering if he had the guts to go through with this. Jennifer studied him in silence.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Justin lay on the rock looking up at the clouds. He wished he had his sketchpad with him. He could at least produce something out of the myriad of emotions that were shooting through his brain. But his sketchbook was up in his room. He couldn't go get it, but he would have to, before Brian looked at it. He sighed and watched a cloud drift past thinking how much it looked like one of the boats out on the water.

He closed his eyes allowing his mind to return to the handsome man up the hill in his house, in his fucking room. He imagined himself in the bed with Brian. They were kissing and he was breathless, the way Brian always left him. His hand reached for the crotch of his shorts and he rubbed across his throbbing cock.

He groaned and opened his eyes. He shouldn't be doing this on a public beach. He needed to get hold of himself, and not of his cock. He glanced up the hill and saw the house. He wondered if Brian was still there. What would the man say to his mother? Justin frowned. He wondered if his mother knew about Brian coming there. It seemed like too much of a coincidence for her not to know. Did she and Daphne arrange this whole thing? If they did, what the fuck were they thinking? What was he going to do?

Justin closed his eyes and prayed for a meteor to come careening down from heaven and incinerate him where he lay.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

"So, what's it going to be?" Jennifer asked as the silence dragged on.

Brian frowned. "I … I don't have any pat answers."

"I understand that, and I'd like you a lot less if you did. What I want to know is are you staying and working things out with my son."

"I can't guarantee that things will work out," Brian said cautiously.

"Did I ask for guarantees? I want to know if that's you're intention. None of us can predict the outcome."

"Then I guess that's what I'm going to do," Brian said deciding that Justin was worth him taking this chance.

"Good, then grab your bag and I'll show you to your room."

Brian stood and lifted his suitcase. He followed Jennifer up the stairs. She opened the door to Justin's room and Brian stepped inside.

"This is Justin's room. We were full up when Daphne called me and the only way I could find a place for you was to put you in here," Jennifer explained.

"Justin must be pissed about that," Brian observed as he took in the room.

"You can unpack and rest a bit if you want. Everything's set up for you."

"Thanks, but … um … should I go after him?"

"I know where he is, and he needs some time alone to think and get his equilibrium back."

"And he'll come back … eventually?"

Jennifer nodded. "You might want to think about what you're going to say to him when he does." She turned and left the room closing the door behind her.

Brian looked around the bright, light-filled room. He could see why the artist in Justin loved it. A little breeze lifted the curtains on the open window. He walked over and looked out. He could smell the sea and see the boats out on the water. He looked down on the beach, noting a few people walking. He could see someone lying on a rock off to the right. He was pretty sure it was Justin.

With a sigh he turned away and started unpacking his clothes. He hung most of them and shoved the rest into a drawer. On top of the dresser he saw a sketchbook. He picked it up and began flipping through the drawings. They were very good. He could see why Justin had been accepted to PIFA. He was very talented.

Brian stopped at a picture of Justin's mother. It depicted Jennifer laughing with pure joy radiating from her every feature. Brian smiled as he looked at it. Mother and son made quite a team. There were many drawings of the B and B. Some were drawn looking up at it from the beach below. Some were obviously drawn from the front yard. Some were details of the architecture or windows or décor. All reflected love and home. Brian wished he had felt the same way about the house where he grew up. But it had been a house, not a home.

The next drawing was Daphne. Justin had captured the impish quality of fun that Daphne had, but also her strength of steel was in there as well. Justin truly was gifted.

Brian's breath caught in his throat as he turned to the next picture. It was him. His own face looked out of the page with clear confident eyes. But it was his mouth that attracted Brian's attention. He had a hint of a smile, a look of genuine pleasure. He wondered when he had last looked like that. It had to be some time when he was with Justin or else the boy couldn't have drawn it. He thought about their talk about movies in the park and knew that had to be when it was. He remembered how animated their discussion had been. He must have smiled like that after he made the bet with Justin. The kid was so excited about Brian taking him to dinner as his prize if he got the answer right. But they had never got to the answer … or the dinner. Maybe he should do that tonight. He could ask Justin to go to dinner with him, that is, if Justin would even talk to him.

Brian closed the sketchbook and set it back on the dresser. He needed to get this right. He understood deep in his heart or his gut or his fucking brain that he was for once in his fucked up life doing the right thing. And the right thing had been to come after Justin. He was sure of that now. He had to track down his prey and make him his. And then he had to figure out where to go from there.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Justin opened the door to the B and B with some trepidation. He looked around but did not see anyone. He stepped inside and closed the door behind him.

"Justin," his mother's voice said.

"What?" he snapped.

"I hope you didn't get burnt, out in that sun all this time."

"I'm fine. I'm a big boy. I can look after myself," he stated. He hoped she got the full import of his words.

"I know."

"Then why are you and Daphne playing with my life?"

"Playing? We're hardly playing."

"Then what the fuck are you doing?" Justin demanded. "Why did you let him come here?"

"Daphne thought you two needed some time together so that you could get to know each other."

"Did it ever occur to either of you that I might not want to get to know Mr. Kinney?"

"Is … is that how you feel?" Jennifer asked with a frown. Maybe they had made a big mistake.

"I don't know what the fuck I feel at the moment. I just wanted to come home for a nice quiet weekend with you. I wanted to spend time in my room and be … at peace." Justin felt tears welling up.

"I'm sorry if we ruined that for you, sweetheart, but maybe you should give Brian a chance."

"A chance? A chance to do what? Hurt me! Make fun of me! Laugh at me!"

"Oh honey, I talked to Brian. I don't think he wants to do any of those things."

"You didn't hear his tone of voice when I let him in here. He thinks this is all a big joke, a game. And I guess I'm some kind of stupid prize to him. He's tracked me down, and now he thinks he'll get what he wants." Justin shook his head fighting the tears.

"If I thought that's all Brian wanted, I'd tell him to get out right now," Jennifer stated. "But I think he really cares about you."

"Then more fool you! He doesn't care about anybody but himself."

Jennifer stared at her son not knowing what to say to make it better. Maybe she should go upstairs and tell Brian Kinney to go away and leave her son alone. Maybe she should call Daphne and together they could figure out what to do about this mess.

"Come into the kitchen, Justin, and I'll make you some dinner," she said. Food was always a good way to smooth things over.

"I'm not hungry!" Justin snapped. "I need to get something from my room."

"But…"

Before Jennifer could say anything Justin was on his way up the stairs. She was about to call out to him when she decided that maybe this was for the best. Matters could take their own course. She went back into the kitchen.

Brian lay on Justin's bed looking out the window. He had been thinking about what he could say to Justin, but nothing clever came to mind. Maybe he just needed to be genuine instead of clever. He snorted. He couldn't remember the last time he had been genuine with anyone. Well, maybe a bit with Mikey, but only a bit. Over the years he had created the persona of Brian Kinney, asshole of Liberty Avenue, that everyone knew and hated, and that was who he had become. He was that person whether he wanted to be or not. He was trapped in the illusion that he had concocted. He wasn't sure there was an ounce of genuine left anywhere in his body.

He glanced at Justin's sketchbook. That had been kind of a revelation. He could hardly believe that the face he saw on the page was the face that Justin saw. It seemed more real than anything he had seen in a long time. That was the person he wanted to be, the one without the façade.

Suddenly he heard footsteps running in the hall. The door to his room flew open and Justin stopped abruptly as he saw Brian lying on his bed.

"Are you still here? Why don't you just go back to Pittsburgh and leave the rest of us alone," Justin said as he got his feet to move. He walked to the dresser and picked up his sketchbook.

"Good evening to you too," Brian smirked.

Justin gave him a withering look and started for the door.

"Wait!" Brian ordered.

"Wait for what?" Justin demanded. "Go home."

"I saw it."

"What?"

"I said I saw it."

"Saw what?" Justin asked clutching the sketchbook tighter to his chest and staring at the wall.

"The drawing you did of me," Brian said softly.

"So you're a snoop as well as an asshole," Justin spat out.

Brian ignored the slight. "It's very good. All your sketches are very good."

"Um … thanks," Justin said wondering what this softer Brian meant.

"You're welcome and I mean it."

"Why are you here, Brian? What do you want?"

"We need to talk," Brian said standing and closing the door to the room. He knew he better do this now before one or both of them chickened out.