- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

Brian agreed to be with everyone while Jenny got her tubes put in. I had a full day of appointments since I took off on Friday, but was planning to stop by and check on Jenny when the doctor finished with her. Brian quizzed me on what to expect, but was relieved to hear it was a minor surgery, and she'd be out and home before Gus got out of school.

 

At first, I thought Michael was waiting at the entrance for me to continue to do whatever it is he was trying to achieve on Brian’s birthday, but he surprised me in only being concerned about Jenny. For the first time Michael questioned what could have caused it, not looking to blame anyone, just curious. It seemed Operation Alpha has Michael not wanting to say anything Ben wouldn’t like.

 

“Like I've said a few times, nothing other than she gets ear infections easily,” I tell him. 

 

“I keep feeling like it was my fault, and in case you haven't figured it out, I'm not great at taking blame. Ben and I talked, well he talked... and I'm hoping we can put the past aside,” He tells me. 

 

“Michael, what you did is not going to be something I can overlook. Which it seems the people in your life think is most of the problem with you. What you did hurt Brian, and that makes it not okay with me,” I tell him. 

 

“Or him. He's been ignoring me since we got here,” He mumbles.

 

“Is that why you're here, for Brian?” I ask, disappointed that this was what he worried about.

 

“No. It's just I thought he would be over it by now,” He tells me. 

 

“I'm going to check with Dr Franklin,” I tell him, understanding Michael had a one track mind. 

 

“Who?” He asks, which really said a lot.

 

“The man who will be cutting into your daughter's eardrum,” I tell him, walking off.

 

Daphne was sitting with the girls, making sure to keep them updated. Which was really code for my best friend has the hots for Trent Franklin. When it came to Trent, Daphne became a twelve year old fan girl. When I walked in, Brian was rolling his eyes at even Mel being a bit tongue tied when Trent came in and told them everything went perfectly. 

 

“She’s scaring me,” Brian joked.

 

“He has the same effect on practically everyone,” I tell him. 

 

“Does he make you into a giggling twat?” He asks.

 

“Nope, only you do that,” I tell him, kissing him.

 

“Jesus, we're here for Jenny, not for you two to make out,” Michael says, staring at us.

 

“Michael,” Ben warns.

 

“Like I said, Jenny came through the surgery like a champion. Which means Dr Taylor will be taking over now. Make sure to do as he asks,” Trent tells them, seeming to think Michael needed to pay attention more.

 

“Michael and I will listen to what Dr Taylor tells us,” Ben tells Michael.

 

“Since it’s done, we can all have lunch together,” Michael tells Brian.

 

“My only plans are to make sure the girls have what Jenny wants, since it should be her day to be a princess,” Brian tells him.

 

“I'll pick up Gus and Gwen,” I tell him. 

 

“Ben and I wanted to pick Gus up,” Michael complains.

 

“We did?” Ben asks.

 

“Gus needs to know Jenny is important too,” Michael tells us.

 

“That's one thing our son knows and does everyday,” Mel tells him, making sure Michael doesn’t miss that she included Brian as Gus’s father. 

 

“I think Michael should pick Gus up. Gus mentioned he really wanted to talk to him,” Lindsay tells us.

 

“Then Dr Taylor can worry about his kid while we take care of ours,” Michael tells her.

 

“If the PARENTS would like to see Jenny, then follow me,” Trent tells them.

 

Michael marched ahead of everyone, but stopped when Brian didn’t follow. “I'm sure Dr Taylor has other patients,” Michael tells me. 

 

“MICHAEL!” Ben growled.

 

“Fine. But as all of you keep reminding me, today is about Jenny,” He tells us, stomping off.

 

“I'd normally apologize for Michael,” Ben says, letting us know he didn't plan to. “If you want us to pick up Gus we will,” Ben tells Lindsay.

 

“Gus would love a chance to talk to Michael,” Mel smirks.

 

MICHAEL 

 

Ben decided that since I announced I wanted to pick up Gus, then I get to do it alone. He's been acting like he's ready to spank my ass any time I say something. Gus was standing at the curb, making me wait while he talked to practically every kid standing around. He finally graced me with his presence ten minutes later.

 

“I thought it would be great for you to spend time with me,” I tell him.

 

“The way you thought my dad breaking up with Justin was great?” He asks. 

 

“Gus, it wasn’t me trying to break them up. I just wanted to give your dad a party when no one else did,” I tell him. 

 

“Dad hates celebrating his birthday. Which everyone but you knows, apparently,” He tells me. 

 

“He thinks he doesn't want to celebrate,” I correct Gus.

 

“My dad knows what he wants. Which, for some reason you think only you do. Like, he really wants Jus, even though you seem to THINK he doesn't,” He tells me. 

 

“Gus, this is really something only grown ups understand,” I tell him. 

 

“I understand that you need to get a life, one that lets my dad be happy with Jus. A man who he's told me he loves. And just to get it straight in your head, he doesn't THINK it, he KNOWS it. If you mess this up for my dad, than as far as I'm concerned you're not the best friend you ram into everyone's head that you are. Uncle Blake told me best friends are people who can see past their own wants for their friends. You need to stop thinking my dad is your personal property, and worry about Ben. Justin will take care of my dad, not you.” Gus tells me, putting in his earbuds.

 

The rest of the ride was silent, with Gus rushing out of the car like I was the last person he wanted to spend time with. I followed him in, thinking Mel and Lindsay need to teach him to respect his elders.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin was nervous as we walked up to his mother's house. He told me it was more that he'd never really brought anyone to meet her. I liked her from the minute she opened the door.

 

“Justin has told me absolutely nothing about you. Just don't believe him if he described me as anything but a great potential mother-in-law,” She teases.

 

“According to Gwen, not so great as a ghost hunter. Much to Gus’s disappointment." I tell her.

 

“One ghost was all I asked,” Gus sighs.

 

“I'll work on that for you. If you and your father come with us to the family reunion, my mother will probably be happy to look for one with you,” Jen tells him.

 

“Gwen already invited me,” Gus tells her. 

 

“Of course she did,” Justin says, laughing.

 

The kids ran out to play in the backyard, while we sat with Jen and Tucker, getting to know each other. Tucker was teasing Justin about once having a problem with his age. Which Justin took with grace since the age gaps were almost even.

 

“How did you two meet?” He asks me. 

 

“He came to my office,” Justin tells him. 

 

“Actually we met a long time ago, but really didn’t spend time getting to know each other,” I tell Tucker.

 

“I'll admit I was a little concerned you two were moving so fast. Gwen mentioned you stay over a lot,” Jen tells me. 

 

“Why waste time when he's everything I've been looking for,” I tell her, hoping to ease any concern about us.

 

“It was the same for me with Jen. Don't roll your eyes, Justin. Sometimes it doesn't matter how long you've been together,” Tucker tells me.

 

“I’m going to make sure Gus and Gwen aren’t arranging our wedding. Do me a favor by making sure my mother doesn’t either,” Justin says to me, laughing.

 

“I hope it didn't come off as me trying to sound like I don't approve. As long as Justin loves you, it's all I care about,” She tells me. 

 

“It's the one thing we agree on,” I tell her. 

 

“Then welcome to the family. You'll meet his sister Molly when you meet my mother. In fact my whole family will probably kidnap you, because they've been waiting for Justin to finally bring someone for them to marry him off to,” She teases.

 

By the time we left, Gus was in love with his new Nana. Jen let him know he was welcome anytime, not just when Justin brought him. The kids were practically asleep when we were driving Gus back to his moms.

 

“Thank you,” I tell Justin.

 

“You're welcome. But clue me in on what I did?” He asks. 

 

“Other than Deb, Gus doesn’t have any grandparents that treat him like he exists,” I tell him. 

 

“Wait till he meets my Nana and her sisters, he'll be overloaded,” He tells me. “What about the girls, their parents?” He asks. 

 

“Lindsay’s weren’t much of parents to her, and even less to Gus. Deb tries to make up for it, and Gus says he doesn't need the Peterson’s for anything, because of the way they treat Lindsay,” I tell him. 

 

“I'm assuming Mel's family isn't much better?” He asks. 

 

“They barely talk to Jenny. Mel marrying Lindsay wasn’t kosher enough for them,” I tell him. 

 

“My Dad and his new wife are pretty much the same. It's why Gwen’s only met them once, and that was by accident,” He tells me. 

 

“What happened?” I ask. 

 

“They were horrified that anyone would let a gay man adopt a child. Of course, when we're out in public they try to pretend they don't know me. It kills them that people barely acknowledge them, but my mother and Tucker are invited to all the things they can’t get invited to,” He tells me. 

 

“Is there some reason they get ignored?” I ask. 

 

“My mom comes with the right connections, all they see is a social climber in my stepmother, Brenda. She shows up, trying to shit on my mom. It's one thing for the ‘in’ people to do something, but they close ranks on people who they feel don't belong. My father was only allowed because of my mother. Now it's because he pays the fee for the privilege. Hopefully you and I can avoid him,” Justin tells me.

 

We got to the girls house, I carried a sleeping Gus in and put him to bed. We then stopped at my loft to get things I needed for the next day. When we got to Justin’s, I carried Gwen in while he grabbed my bag and locked up the house. I helped her get ready for bed, staying when she whispered my name.

 

“Yes princess?” I ask. 

 

“I want you around for a long time,” She says, drifting off to sleep again.