- Text Size +

GUS

 

Best party ever, was all me and my posse thought. Grandma told me when you plan, you need  to make sure you plan to take out everyone at once. Aunt Rose and Mary agreed, because they said people catch on if you take them one at a time. 

 

It started out with Grandma meeting with the Mayflower idiots, as she called the people who seem to think they were important because of a boat ride. Not that I really understood what that meant, but figured I’d ask Grandpa later. Only she brought me with her, and I found out that my mom’s parents were total tools. They were practically bowing to Grandma, and when Grandma told them how delightful it was that they were sharing a grandson now, they looked confused. 

 

“Don’t tell me you forgot our Gus,” Grandma said, with disapproval that she didn’t hide.

 

“Gus?” Nancy asked, looking around for something. “Is the baby around?” She asks finally.

 

“Nancy!” Ron said tilting his head at me.

 

“Who is this young man?” She asked.

 

“Hello Mother, I see you’re getting to know Grandma Thomas. Gus just loves her,” My mom says, walking in, the way Grandma planned it, with Grandpa.

 

“Sweetheart, I was surprised that your mother still refers to Gus as a baby. I’m sure at his age she would see he was a young man,” Grandma tells Mom.

 

“Oh, sorry I was referring to the other one… Jamie, is it?” Nancy looks to my mom for help.

 

“You mean Jenny, well we still do think of her as a baby,” Mom helps, kissing Grandma on the cheek.

 

“I have to admit I was really pleased to get more granddaughters and great granddaughters from my grandson. Justin really impressed us with Gus, but then we met Lindsay, and I have to say you raised a wonderful daughter,” Grandpa tells her.

 

“Is that what this party is about? Sorry, I overheard someone mentioning that there was going to be a party thrown and the invitation list was selective. Ron and I had no idea that Lindsay was involved. I can’t believe you didn’t tell me that you were joining the Thomas family.” Nancy chastises my mother.

 

“So, you finally saw it was time to step up and give Mommy and Daddy a reason to be happy for you,” Lynette tells my Mom, making me mad that she made it sound like my mother was a disappointment to that family.

 

“Whatever do you mean?” Grandma asks.

 

“Oh nothing, Lindsay just made decisions that didn’t sit well with us. It just seems she’s figured out it was time to get over this rebellion. It’s just wonderful that she’s joining families like ours,” Nancy told her.

 

“Isn’t it. Well, we need to be off. Lindsay wanted to help Emmett make sure the party was all everyone could wish for. I hope you’ll come celebrate the blessed union. It will give you time to get to know Gus, since you seem to forget he isn’t a baby anymore,” Grandma tells him.

 

We wandered to the dining room that was blocked off from the rest of the club. I looked over in time to see my dad and Aunt Molly come in with Gwen, who took off when Aunt Molly leaned down and whispered to her. I saw a man and woman standing on the side of the room staring at Aunt Molly, but Grandma closed the door when she saw the man.

 

“Not to worry Gus, Molly can handle him,” She tells me, then told me Emmett needed help tasting stuff.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin was going to show up with his mother, but asked me to get Gwen for him. Grandma told us she wanted us to show up separately. Since none of us would go against her, we agreed. Molly hooked her arm through mine the minute she walked into the club and saw her father. Looking at Craig Taylor, I decided that Justin and Molly must have gotten everything from Jen’s side of the family. He actually smiled when he saw Molly and looked me up and down like I was a racehorse he was assessing. Molly whispered that Brenda was the name of the woman that looked like a hooker, standing next to her sperm donor.

 

“Molly, it’s been a long time. I heard the family was celebrating here,” Craig said trying to hug Molly, only to have her shrug him off.

 

“I was telling your father, that it was unfair that we weren’t included in the news,” Brenda tells her.

 

“What news would my grandmother want to share with you?” Molly asks sweetly.

 

“Well, I hate to gossip, because it’s a sin, but I was told that there was a celebration of an elopement,” Brenda tells Molly, waiting for her to say something.

 

“That did take everyone by surprise didn’t it?” Molly asks me, smiling up adoringly.

 

“We wanted to do it our way,” I tell her.

 

“I’m sure everyone understood,” She tells them.

 

“I would have liked to be there. Your mother’s family isn’t the only one who could be happy about a marriage. We could at least be introduced since we’re now family,” Craig tell her, looking at me.

 

“Brian Kinney, meet my father, Craig Taylor... and Brenda,” Molly says, with Brenda’s name like an afterthought.

 

“Molly, don’t you think your father and I should be included in the celebration? From what I’ve heard, everyone in the club has been invited, and I would hate for people to think you forgot your family,” Brenda tells her.

 

“Oh, did we forget someone from my family? I’ll have to let Grandma know, but I know with it being short notice they only invited important people and had to leave the less desirables off, to make sure the right people were present to meet Brian. In fact, Grandpa wanted to make sure to introduce Brian to a few businessmen who’ve been dying to meet him,” Molly tells her.

 

“What do you do?” Craig asks.

 

“I run an Ad agency and a club right now. I’m about to start looking into the real estate game. Jen and I were talking about it,” I tell him.

 

“I happen to own a couple of stores. If you’re looking to invest, why not go with a business that’s already established, like Taylor Electronics?” Craig tells me, as if the name should impress me.

 

“Taylor Electronics? Is it located around here?” I ask.

 

“Sorry Dad, but I see Grandma waiting for us. Have a nice evening, if I don’t see you again,” Molly announces, walking us away.

 

JUSTIN

 

I walked in with my mom and Tucker. As we walked by, my father blocked my mother from going in. As usual, he ignored me and Tucker, which was stupid because Tucker wasn’t intimidated by my father.

 

“Let go of my wife,” Tucker told him.

 

“Not until she tells me why I wasn’t told about tonight,” He tells him.

 

“You weren’t told because you specifically told me that MY CHILDREN weren’t yours, since they went against everything you wanted. It also wasn’t my job to tell you anything they didn’t want you to know. I also didn’t see the point, when you wouldn’t be happy about anything unless they married by your approval. Now excuse us, we have a party to attend and the RIGHT people to greet,” She tells him, walking off.

 

“This wouldn’t have happened if you hadn’t wanted to flaunt your sins to the world,” Brenda tells me.

 

“At least your sister figured out she needed to do something right. Make sure you don’t run him off by making a spectacle of yourself,” Craig tells me.

 

“Do me a favor, pretend you don’t know me. It shouldn’t be hard, it’s the way we’ve handled it for a while now,” I tell him.

 

“If you weren’t a faggot, then it wouldn’t have happened!” Brenda says loudly, and has my Dad ready to throttle her. Especially when people stopped what they were doing and stared at her.

 

Craig looked around, and slowly, as the members that once allowed him in their circles turned their backs as he looked at them. It wasn’t like he didn’t know there were less people who were willing to wear their bigotry for all to see, it was that they knew it could cost them money if anyone found out they weren’t much better than Craig and Brenda. 

 

“Mr Taylor and Mrs Taylor, I’d like to speak with you in private.” The president of the club tells them.

 

“I expect to be welcome to the party after we’re through,” Craig tells me.

 

MICHAEL

 

I was running late, after having to tell Monty and Eli that I couldn’t get them an invitation. When I walked in, it was to hear the way that guy talked to Justin. Why would he want to come to a party that was celebrating a gay marriage, I thought. I caught up to Justin and he didn’t seem like it bothered him, so I figured he didn’t really know the guy.

 

“Who was that?” I asked him.

 

“My dad and stepmother.” He tells me.

 

“Are you serious?” I ask.

 

“Don’t worry about it. You look nice,” He tells me, making me feel like a jerk for the way I’ve been acting around him.

 

“Can we talk before we go in?” I ask.

 

“Michael, can we just go in and have a good time?” He asks.

 

“Yes, but I need to tell you that I was being a jackass. I’m lucky that Ben puts up with my shit, especially when I realized that if the situation had been reversed I wouldn’t have been as good about it. Which is a lie, I’d have ended up doing what I already have been to Brian. I know I haven’t given you a reason to want me around and I’m not going to push like I always do. I just want to show you that I am happy for you and Brian,” He tells me.

 

“I want you and Brian to still be friends. Understand that I will never tell him that if you need him he can’t be there for you. As weird as it sounds, I like you when you’re not trying to prove Brian is your best friend,” He smiles at me, I couldn’t help it, I hugged him because he was just too fucking nice.

 

“You approve of that behavior?” Came from behind us.

 

“Brenda, shut up,” Justin’s father tells her.

 

“Don’t tell me to shut up. We’re being excluded from the party that everyone who’s anyone is being invited to, yet they let THAT come,” She spat.

 

“Shut up!” Craig yells at her, before looking at Justin and me like we just spread the gay plague to the country club.

 

“Baby, tell me that this isn’t your father,” I say in a girly voice, making Justin laugh.

 

“Good God Justin, tonight is about your sister and her husband, and once again you plan to turn a respectable evening into a fiasco,” Brenda tells him, confusing both of us.

 

“Brad, can’t you see what letting people like them into the club will do?” Craig asks.

 

“That Frank and I don’t live in the stone age, the way you do. I happen to love my grandson the way he is and anyone who comes with him, which doesn’t extend to you.” Justin’s grandmother says as she and a man come out of the closed off room. 

 

“Michael, it’s nice to finally meet you, we’ve heard some interesting stories about you. Aunt Rose and Aunt Mary have been getting to know your son and husband, and I have to say, you got yourself a hunk in that one,” Justin’s grandmother tells me.

 

“I know. especially when he goes shirtless, Ma'am,” I tell her, wiggling my eyebrows, thinking of all the things Ben and I did in the last few days.

 

“Really. Well since we’re going out clubbing later, you’ll have to get him to show us. Frank take care of this. Michael, it’s Grandma, to him it’s Ma'am,” She tells me, tilting her head at Craig.

 

“I never knew my grandparents,” I tell her.

 

“Well Honey, after meeting your mother, I have to wonder if maybe I didn’t leave a kid at the hospital,” She tells me, grabbing my arm and pulling me with her.

 

BRIAN

 

Michael came in and jerked his head at me towards the doors. I got up and went to see if Justin was here, but passed Michael, who stopped me and whispered what was going on outside the room, before being dragged to the table where Hunter was being hounded by the Aunts.

 

I walked out to see Justin looking bored with what his father was saying to him. Frank was speaking to the President of the club, letting Justin deal with what was going on. Lindsay’s parents came in, stopping when they saw me. 

 

“Lindsay told us you were going to be here too. We’d appreciate it if you didn’t mention the unfortunate situation Lindsay was in when she had Gus,” Ron tells me.

 

“We think it’s better for everyone to not know that Lindsay was confused. Ron is looking forward to get to know Frank, and well, we just don’t want the unfortunate past to ruin her future with her new husband,” Nancy tells me.

 

“I’m sure it won’t be a problem,” I tell them, wanting to get to Justin.

 

“Oh my, it’s kind of colorful,” Was the last thing I heard Nancy say as she went in.

 

“Everything okay? You're running late,” I tell Justin.

 

“Brian, it might be better if Justin didn’t show up to celebrate with you,” Craig tells me.

 

“It would defeat the purpose of why the party is being thrown if Justin wasn’t there,” I tell him.

 

“Look I’m just thinking of your business, people pretend they don’t care, but I know I wouldn’t let a faggot near my business. It’s why I wrote Justin out of my will,” He tells me.

 

“He doesn’t need your money Craig, something he proved when he didn’t go to you for help,” Frank tells him.

 

“I don’t want Molly’s future in trouble because Justin has to flaunt himself,” Craig tells him.

 

“Justin’s queer,” Brenda whispers to me.

 

“Me too. Small world. Now, my husband and I would like to join in the party that was planned to celebrate two gay men getting married,” I tell her, loving the shocked look on her face. 

 

“Craig, we don’t feel you and your wife are people who would represent the image we like to project as a member. I’m sure you can find a club that will, so please leave,” The club president tells them.

 

“Too bad, Grandma wanted to let them come in and join the party,” Frank laughs.

 

GUS

 

I stood around trying to figure out what to eat, but first Mom wanted me to sit with her and her parents. Gwen came up and sat in my mom’s lap, and I laughed when they thought she was Jenny. Jenny was busy showing off for the Aunts. 

 

“How does she fit in, and wouldn’t it be better not to have reminders?” Lynette says to Lindsay.

 

“With Grandma Thomas the more the merrier,” I tell her.

 

“Gus, the adults are talking,” Nancy admonishes me.

 

“My son was taught that his opinions are important,” My mom tells her, in the ‘Mom’ voice; which was cool since it wasn’t directed at me.

 

“Lindsay, he needs to understand how to behave with the people who you’ve brought into his life,” Nancy tell her.

 

“Gussy, come here my boy. Lindsay, you need to get to your seat too,” Aunt Rose yells, louder than Deb.

 

I watch my mom’s parents, who looked gleeful that my mom and I were sitting at the table in the front. At least they did, until Mel walked up and laid one on my mom. It might have also been the big banner that floated down with CONGRATULATIONS for my dads on getting married. Possibly it could have been when Grandma and the Aunts asked all the couples to stand up and ordered everyone to congratulate all the couples that married regardless of what all the bigots of the world think. 

 

So on to the greatest party ever, I got to see Babylon. Although I agree that a horse wasn’t the greatest idea, since they like, poop. Dad took it okay, just handed a shovel to the Aunts. Gwen, Poppy, and I were taken up to my dad’s office when Grandma said that there were just some things we needed to wait to see. When we came back down, everyone was dancing to old people music, to which my Dads scowled at me when I called it that. I danced with my sisters and Poppy, since they made me. Then it was really cool because Grandma and the Aunts got Nancy drunk and well, my eyes got covered again, but my dad agreed he could have lived without seeing Nancy pole dance.

 

Justin came and got me while everyone was busy and I told him Michael should come too. Michael followed like the puppy he is most of the time and practically jumped up and down when he saw what we were doing. I went to get my dad and the others to the top of the building.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian decided that the women in my family were way too much fun. Everyone came to the roof of Babylon to see what I asked Grandma to arrange. 

 

“Nothing much to see other than a dirty steel town,” Ted commented, just as Michael lit the fuses.

 

We all watched as fireworks went off in the sky. “I thought we should have the fireworks,” I tell Brian.

 

Which were great until the police showed up at the door. “Grandma, you did get the permit didn’t you?” Emmett asks.

 

“You need one?” She asks. 

 

“Hunter, dude, we’re going to jail,” Aunt Rose yells with glee.

 

“Um, trust me you don’t want to. It was really boring,” Ted tells her.

 

“Teddy, stop ruining the moment,” Aunt Mary yells at him.

 

We didn’t hear the rest because Brian dragged me behind him and locked us in the backroom while Carl likely kept the Hens out of trouble. Fireworks weren’t only on the roof.