- Text Size +

GUS

 

We were once again at the family reunion / anniversary party. Grandma said that we might as well celebrate everything we can and the Aunts agreed. They invited everyone and promised that Gwen and I got to give their gift to my dads. 

 

They asked me what I wanted, since it was my first year as their grandson. It was really cool, since I got a huge family that took in all the family I’ve ever known. I told them they were my gift, but of course the Hens seemed to think making my parents crazy was their job as well as mine. Dad took it pretty well, likely because Boz would live at my moms house. Mom, at first wasn’t thrilled, but then liked that Boz seems to scare the bejesus out of Michael. Although I don’t get it, Boz only wanted some love and didn’t like that Michael snatched Jenny up like Boz was going to do something to her. I guess that Michael found the size of a Newfoundland a bit intimidating. They only picked him because his former family moved and couldn’t take him with them. Dad even liked Boz enough to let him stay over when I was there.

 

Deb got along with the Hens and everyone still wonders if somehow she was switched at birth, since she and the hens get in trouble together all the time. With Aunt Mary being in Pittsburgh all the time, Uncle Ted says that we are all lucky that Carl is a cop. 

 

I smiled at my moms with Michael and Ben, they all seem to get along now that Jenny talks more than all of them put together. Michael managed to figure out he didn’t know all the answers and started listening when Mama and Mom offered help in how to raise a daughter. Dad managed to let go of his anger towards Michael, after he showed up with a ugly statue as a house warming present for my dads. Uncle Ted just rolled his eyes at it, saying hopefully he didn’t pay five hundred dollars for it.

 

Poppy and Gwen managed to get my Dad to get them princess dresses for every occasion and thought I should have to dress up too. My answer was to run to Mama, before they convinced my Dad to make me go shopping. She tried to not be insulted when I said she would understand not wanting to dress up all the time. 

 

My mom delighted in telling her parents that we were busy with Grandpa and Grandma, and that she really didn’t feel right inviting them to a family event. Her parents suddenly remembered they had a daughter and thought it meant being invited to some of the parties the Hens threw in Pittsburgh. Instead, my Mom told them Grandma only wanted the right people coming to her parties. Mama about busted a gut over that.

 

It was cool to see my Dad happy, and in a way Gwen, Poppy, and I felt like we helped. Uncle Emmett said so, and well, we all know he speaks the truth.

 

After Grandpa managed to make a feast, they put music on and everyone paired up to dance. I did my duty like Nana told me and danced with both my sisters, and then Poppy, who announced to everyone that one day she was going to marry me, and Uncle Ted told me he’d be proud to have me as a son-in-law while the rest of them awed about it. I looked over at the edge of the lawn where my dads danced alone, as if there was no one but them here. Grandma called them over and nodded to Gwen and I to join her. 

 

I handed Dad the envelope and Gwen gave our other dad the keys. Dad laughed when he read the deed to the cottage.

 

“We already got married.” He joked to her.

 

“I know, but it’s the place where all my dreams came true, so now it’s yours.” Grandma tells them.

 

“Is it time?” Michael shouts.

 

“Yes, son.” Deb says, rolling her eyes at his excitement.

 

“Um, do you really think he should be doing that?” Emmett asks.

 

“If he hurts himself, Justin can take care of it.” Drew laughs.

 

Michael only got singed a little when he set off the fireworks. Not that anyone cared, because we were all too busy watching three hundred fireworks go off. Like I said, the Hens do nothing in a small way, and who could blame them.

 

The End.
starlight is the author of 43 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 43 members. Members who liked Fireworks also liked 976 other stories.