- Text Size +

JUSTIN


Brian walked me to my car, and we ended up all over each other. He kissed me one last time before walking to his car and waving as he pulled away. I needed to pick Gwen up and take her to school before going to work. The whole drive I couldn’t get Brian out of my head, which hadn’t been a problem in other relationships for me. I even agreed to let him come to dinner tonight with Gwen and me, which I never do when it’s this new. It’s not like Gwen didn’t already meet him, but hopefully tonight we can keep our hands off each other.


Brian asked me to ignore any questions about us if asked by Lindsay and Michael. He told me while they all seem to want him in a relationship, they also wanted to give advice that we didn’t need. I let him know that after having to referee between them, I completely agree with him.


“Did you miss me?” Gwen asks.


“I always miss you. Did you have a good time with Nana?” I ask.


“We saw the castles, but didn’t see any ghosts,” She tells me, sounding disappointed.


“I don’t think Nana took you hoping to see one,” I tell her.


“Gus is going to be so disappointed there weren’t any,” She tells me, getting in the car.


“How was your weekend?” Mom asks, bringing me Gwen’s bag.


“Same as always,” I tell her, not wanting to bring up Brian yet.


“Gwen and her new friend Gus let me know you might be seeing Gus’s father,” She hints.


“We had dinner, but it's still new. Until we're sure of where it's going, I want to keep it between Brian and me,” I tell her, getting in the car.


“Did you like what Gus’s daddy did?” Gwen asks.


All the things Brian and I did raced through my head, but I didn’t think that was what Gwen was asking. “What did Gus tell you his dad did?” I ask.


“He said his Daddy bought you dinner. So, did you like it?” She asks me.


“When did you and Gus start calling each other?” I ask.


“He gave me his phone number when we had dinner with them. Gus said we needed to help you two, cause his dad stinks at dating,” She tells me.


“I'm sure Brian will appreciate Gus’s help,” I tell her, laughing.


BRIAN


Justin called to let me know our kids were rooting for us. Which explained Lindsay at my office this morning. Ted had been waiting for our normal Monday meeting, and tried to leave when he saw Lindsay sitting in front of my desk, I pointed to the couch and Ted resigned himself to sitting in.


“Gus has a new friend,” She tells me.


“He's a popular kid,” I tell her, looking through my email.


“Brian, we like Dr Taylor,” Lindsay tells me.


“And?” I ask, when I could tell she wanted to say more.


“Brian, don’t take this the wrong way, but wouldn’t it be better for you to see someone else? We don’t want it to get awkward when you get bored with him. The last thing we need is to have to change doctors again because you do what you always do,” She tells me.


“I’m going to tell you the same thing I told Michael. What I do or don’t do with Justin is none of your business. I think you need to worry more about making sure Jenny has four parents who get along,” I tell her.


“You have to understand why we are concerned. You haven’t managed to break your one time only rule, even with dates. We don’t need things to get awkward with Dr Taylor,” She tells me.


“It couldn’t be any more awkward than you and Michael sitting in his office like two children in the principal’s office, trying to say it was the other person’s fault, not yours,” I tell her.


“You could help Mel and me by agreeing to come over for dinner. Mel and I thought it would be a good way to show that we all support each other in raising Gus, unlike how it’s been with JR,” She tells me, ignoring what I said.


“I’m not getting in the middle of this- the four of you need to deal with your problems. You and Mel asked Michael to be the father, and then act surprised when he behaves like Michael,” I tell her.


“We don’t expect you to solve our problems, just help show Michael that you trust us raising Gus,” Lindsay tells me, as Ted chokes on his drink.


“As interesting as dinner will probably be, sorry I have plans that I don’t intend to change. Since it’s my night with Gus, using him to get me to come to dinner won’t work,” I tell her.


“Why not bring your date with you? We’d all like to get to know him,” She tells me, as Ted shakes his head when she didn’t give up.


“I would, but I have a feeling an evening with you and Michael might have Justin deciding I’m not worth seeing,” I tell her.


“If you're serious about him, I would think you’d want your friends to get along with him. I need to go so I can get things for dinner. I’ll see you at six,” She tells me, leaving as if my presence at her dinner was decided.


“My friends can’t even get along with each other,” I tell Ted.


“I hope your plans are at Justin’s house and not your loft, because you know them, they’ll all show up there when you don’t show up at the girls.” Ted tells me.


“He said we could grill and let the kids go swimming. If you and Blake want to bring Poppy, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind,” I tell him.


“I’ll call Blake and ask him, just make sure Justin doesn’t mind,” He tells me.


“It would probably help us keep it G rated for the night,” I tell him, as he laughs, walking out my door.


JUSTIN


Brian and I were in the kitchen, when the kids came running by to go swimming. Ted and Blake agreed to sit outside and watch them while Brian and I got everything ready for the grill. Brian was going through my cabinets while talking to Emmett on the phone. He said Emmett made a citrus marinade that he liked, then called to find out what was in it. After a couple minutes Brian told Emmett just come over.


“Emmett’s recipes come with Emmett,” Brian tells me, putting his head on my shoulder.


“In other words you want two more friends to come over?” I ask, kissing him.


“More like my friends are curious about you,” He tells me.


“Why? It’s not like you haven’t dated,” I tell him.


“None of them ever made it past the first date,” He tells me.


“So they think I’m different?” I ask.


“I asked you on a second date, which I’ve never done,” He tells me, kissing me.


“Mr Brian, why are you kissing Dr Taylor?” Poppy whispers.


“They like each other, duh,” Gus tells her.


“I like Dr Taylor too, but I don’t get to kiss him,” She tells him.


“My dad's too old for you,” Gwen tells her.


BRIAN


“Is there something you guys need?” Justin asks, barely controlling his laughter.


“We're hungry, we were sent in to tell you Uncle Blake got the grill ready,” Gwen tells Justin.


“Uncle Blake?” Justin asks.


“Gus told me we were all family since his dad likes you,” She tells him.


The doorbell rang and the kids took off to answer. Emmett came in, looking over the food then drowned everything in the marinade he brought over.


“It just needs to sit a minute then we can toss it on. So this is where you disappeared to, Michael is ready to report you missing,” Emmett says, smiling at me.


“I'm still trying to figure out why he thinks you're missing, since the girls told him you took Gus with you,” Drew tells me.


“Probably because Lindsay commanded Brian to appear to play mediator at their dinner tonight,” Ted tells him, coming in to grab the food for the grill.


“She actually commanded you to appear?” Justin asks.


“They always do, Baby. They forget that Brian plays by no one's rules,” Emmett tells him.


We followed Ted out to the patio, and let Drew and Justin help Blake put the food on. The kids jumped back in the pool while the rest of us sat talking.


“Just to let you know, Gus and the girls are planning your dates,” Blake tells us.


“Gwen told me Gus thinks Brian stinks at dating,” Justin says, laughing.


“It's not because of me, it's because the guys I went out with tended to make me question why I was there,” I tell him.


“Why didn’t you tell Michael to quit setting you up?” Drew asks.


“Honey, you do remember it's Michael, right?” Emmett asks.


“Never mind. I'm just glad he gave up on you,” Drew tells Emmett.


“He tried, but gave up when I told him this Queen would never join their wannabe straight queer cult,” Emmett answers.


“He apparently thinks Walter is a great choice for Justin,” I tell them, as they all start laughing their asses off.


“What about Jason, apparently he's disappointed you didn’t show,” Justin smirks.


“I don't even know who the fuck that is,” I tell him.


“Um Brian, you went out with Jason a couple of weeks ago,” Ted tells me.


“Which makes me wonder why Jason was disappointed, since I don't remember him,” I tell him.


“Why was Walter so funny?” Justin asks.


“Honey, if you look up boring in the dictionary, it has Walter’s picture there. He's a math professor at Ben’s college. Michael always tries to set up people with Walter first,” Emmett tells him.


“He set all of you up with Walter?” Justin asks.


“Only me, since Michael thinks math and accounting are the same thing. Michael told me Emmett scares Walter, and Walter didn’t want Brian,” Ted tells him.


“The feeling’s mutual, nothing against Wally. I might have finally decided I wanted more than a trick, but my standards haven't changed,” I tell him.


“Interesting, is that all standards?” Ted asks, lifting a brow.


“All, Ted. Lucky for me, Justin fits them,” I smirk.


GUS


Gwen and Poppy sat with me at the steps of the pool. Gwen and I had to convince Poppy to help us. I like Dr Taylor, and want my dad to not screw up. After listening to my Mom and Mama, I figured if Dad was going to actually keep Dr Taylor, he need all the help he could get.


Michael told me after the fifth date that went nowhere, that my dad is too picky. I really think it's because Michael picks guys that are sort of like Michael. When I mentioned it to Dad, he thought about it and said that explained the comic book geek from the other night.


My Mom was staying out of it because she still believes no one should tame Brian Kinney, but started telling Mama that maybe they should start arranging for Dad to meet some of the men at the GLC. At that point I knew it was time to help, because Phillip was everything my father hates in men, yet my Mom thinks he could be a good role model for me. Where she got the idea that a gay man who follows Tannis around like a puppy is a good role model is anyone's guess. I like Dr Taylor, because my dad has never looked at anyone the way he does Dr Taylor.


“I don't think they need our help. Dr Taylor is doing that thing my dads do,” Poppy tells us.


“You don’t have to call him Dr Taylor. What do your dads do?” Gwen asks.


“They always touch when they're in a room together, but not as much as Mr Brian seems to with Dr… what do I call him?” Poppy whispers.


“Uncle Jus, since I get to call your dads' Uncle.” Gwen tells her.


“We need to figure out how to make sure my dad takes Jus out on dates that he likes. My dad really doesn’t get the whole dating thing,” I tell them.


“My dad doesn't date either, so I'll have to quiz him on what he likes,” Gwen tells me.


“We should get Uncle Em to help. I mean, he plans weddings, so he must know what it takes to get them married like you want,” Poppy tells me.


“I didn’t say married, but you know, stick around after one date. My Mama said something about my dad only liking Trix,” I tell them.


“My dad doesn't like Trix,” Gwen tells me.


“I don’t think my Dad does either, because he looked at me like I was crazy when I asked where they were one morning at his place,” I tell her. I wonder why Mama thinks that.


“I'll ask Auntie Em to help. You two find out what your dads like to do when they go out on a date,” Poppy tells us.


“My dad usually eats Frosted Flakes, so maybe get your dad to like that instead,” Gwen tells me.