- Text Size +

JUSTIN


Have you ever felt like someone was stalking you, but whenever you turn to look, you don’t see anyone? It started after my very interesting breakfast with Gwen, who asked me why we don’t eat Trix. She seemed to think this was important, so I explained it’s just one of those cereals that I never liked. She told me that maybe it was time to expand my horizons. As we were driving to school, she was quizzing me on what I like to do when I go out. When I asked her why, her answer was that as much as Gus thinks his dad stinks at dating, she didn’t see me being any better at it since the only person she knew I went out with was Auntie Daphne. Brian and I already knew the kids seemed to think we needed help. And really, the less they know about how our three day date went, the better.


After texting Brian about the conversation with Gwen, I went to work. It wasn’t until lunch that I got the feeling someone was following me. Brian called this morning saying he had time for lunch if I wanted to come to Kinnetik, and said just to tell Deb to send his usual. It was when I was leaving the diner after promising Deb I would show up for dinner Sunday that the feeling of someone following me started, but every time I looked around, I didn’t notice anyone paying attention to me. When I got in my car, I looked up and saw Michael running towards my car, yelling something I couldn’t hear. I waved, but didn’t stick around, assuming this was something Brian warned me about. I got to Kinnetik to find Lindsay sitting in the lobby looking annoyed. The receptionist looked up at me when I walked up, but insisted that unless I was on the list, that I needed to make an appointment. Apparently Brian didn’t tell her I was coming, so I asked if she could at least tell Brian I was here.


“They’re like guard dogs,” Lindsay muttered.


“Ms Peterson, Mr Kinney is in a meeting and left strict instructions that unless I could prove it was an emergency, that my future career would include flipping burgers. I understand that normally you come in here and make yourself at home, but today he’s meeting with an important client and instructed me to tell anyone who came in without an appointment that the Kinney Daycare is closed,” She tells her, trying not to snicker.


“He asked me to come by with lunch, but if he’s busy can you at least give this to him for me,” I asked, when the explanation made sense to me. It was probably why he hadn’t answered my text I sent that I was on my way with lunch.


“That shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll make sure he knows you came by,” She tells me, relieved that I didn’t throw a fit for expecting her to go against what Brian told her.


When I went to leave, Lindsay got up and followed me out of the building. I was hoping she was leaving since she couldn’t see Brian, but no, she followed me to my car.


“Did you need something?” I asked.


“We should get to know each other, since Brian skipped out on us last night. You know, his best friends, to be with you,” She tells me, not sounding upset, but more curious.


“I got the feeling that he wanted to give the four of you privacy to work out your differences,” I tell her, thinking I should have just gotten in my car and left. Unfortunately my mother had rammed it into my head to be polite.


“Dr Taylor, or can I call you Justin? I hope we can be friends, and in the spirit of friendship, that you’ll understand that I’m only saying this because as his best friend, I feel you should understand a few things about Brian,” She tells me, and I groan, seeing Michael get out of cab and head towards us.


“I’m sure you do, but right now we're getting to know each other and I like to base my opinions on what he shows me,” I tell her.


“Oh good you’re here, I guess you didn’t see me when you were leaving. I wanted to talk to you,” Michael tells me.


“I’m sure you both do, but I have to get back to work,” I tell them.


“We could come there and talk,” Lindsay tells me.


“Yeah, you could explain some of the things the specialist told us. He kept acting like we had medical degrees when he explained what he was going to do to my Honeybun,” Michael tells me.


“Michael, there was nothing that a person who was listening wouldn’t have understood,” She tells him.


“Lindsay, I’m trying to give us a reason to talk to him,” Michael tells her. He seems to think he whispered that.


“Justin doesn’t need a reason to talk to me. He should see the benefit of advice from Brian’s best friend,” Lindsay tells him.


“Which would explain him listening to me, not you,” Michael tells her.


It was on. The battle of the best friends. Brian came outside and stopped when he saw them arguing about who was really Brian’s best friend, with examples of why each believed they were the one. They stopped paying attention to me while they rounded on each other, each trying to outdo the other. Brian pointed to his car when the two of them seemed to forget everything but winning against each other. I had a few hours before my next appointment, so I left the two of them going at each other and got in Brian’s car. I turned when he started the engine, and saw the two stop mid argument to stare at us speeding away.


“Why didn’t you wait for me?” He asks.


“Your receptionist made it sound like you were busy. I thought maybe your meeting ran over,” I tell him.


“She was supposed to have you wait for me,” He grumbles, not looking happy as he makes a call. “Cynthia, fire Olivia, she obviously didn’t read the email I sent her this morning,”


“Brian, she was following your instructions, she apparently doesn’t see a future for herself at Burger World. Which is where you told her she’d be if she didn’t follow your orders,” I tell him.


“It would also help if you’d actually sent it to her. It’s still in your drafts. Also remember, after she let Michael and Lindsay barge into your office, you told her NO ONE gets in without an appointment. She’s only following the God Kinney’s commandments,” Cynthia giggles, causing me to laugh at his scowl.


“Fine, then she can stay, but put Justin on the interrupt anytime list,” He tells her.


“Is there a list like that?” She asks.


“Make one, and Justin and Gus are on it,” He growls, hanging up.


“I’m on a list, should I feel special?” I ask, leaning over and licking his ear.


GUS


I got home from school to find Mom and Michael in the living room plotting with each other. I didn’t know whether I came in the right door, since they were actually getting along. Mom tells me to get my snack, while she finishes talking to Michael. When I heard them mention Dr Taylor, I rushed and got my snack and sat as close to them as possible.


“Dr Taylor is nice, but you and I know Brian’s type, and he isn’t it,” Michael tells her.


“Michael, until recently there wasn’t really someone you could point to and say that was Brian’s type. Really, you keep setting him up with guys you would date, which isn’t anyone Brian has ever shown any interest in. If you ask me, someone like Dr Taylor is really a great choice. Brian needs someone who will be able to attend functions and can converse with others.The idiots you set him up with, well, they would be great at a comic convention or playground, but not at the functions he attends,” She tells him.


“I like Dr Taylor,” I tell them.


“So do we Lambskin, but we don’t want to have to change doctors,” She tells me, as I cringe at the name I thought we broke her of.


“Because he’s dating Dad?” I ask.


“Gus, we just think that your dad would be better off if he picked some else. Someone who we see as being part of the group,” Michael tells me.


“Grandma Deb likes Dr Taylor. So do Uncle Emmett, Drew, Ted, and Blake. They all sat around talking to each other last night, and had a good time,” I tell him.


“They invited everyone but us?” Michael asks, looking upset.


“Uncle Emmett and Drew came later, but yeah,” I tell him, not caring that he was upset, because he was acting like there was something wrong with Dr Taylor.


“See what I mean, it’s like he forgot that that we needed him too,” Michael tells my mom.


I got up and left before I showed them that I got my sarcastic streak from my dad. On the way up to my room I called Gwen to tell her that we had a problem... My dad’s two best friends.


LINDSAY


I could tell Gus wasn’t thrilled when he left the living room. He seems to really like Dr Taylor, and I don’t hate the idea that Brian is seeing someone that at least knows what fork to use. I’ve spent years trying to figure out why Brian and Michael stayed friends and haven’t figured it out yet. It’s just that in the last week Brian has acted like I’m bothering him. Last night I wasn’t happy when he picked up Gus from school and didn’t even stop by so I could convince him to stay for dinner. If Brian insists on seeing anyone, he should at least see someone who would understand that listening to me will only help them. Dr Taylor acted like he didn’t even want to get to know me. Which isn’t fair, he’s been perfectly wonderful when we have appointments for the kids. I know part of my problem is that I like the Brian who didn’t settle down or want any ties. It gave me a way to live the life I gave up when I married Mel. I don’t regret marrying Mel, just sometimes when things get routine, well, seeing my wild Peter helped. Oh God, am I really that selfish that I don’t like that he looks at Dr Taylor in a way he’s never looked at anyone else?


“Michael, maybe we should support them,” I tell him, not happy with my thoughts as to why I didn’t want him with Dr Taylor.


“I would, but it seems like Brian forgot us since he met Dr Taylor,” Michael whines.


Hearing someone huff, I turn to see Mel standing there with Jenny. I could tell she wasn’t happy to hear what we were talking about.


“Who the asshole dates isn’t any of your business, either one of you. If Dr Taylor is who he wants to see, then leave it alone, both of you. I can’t believe I’m about to defend him, but not once has Brian interfered with your relationships, so respect his. Unfortunately I’m about to jump on the Kinney train and tell you both that we need to worry about Jenny, not your egos being crushed because Brian might love someone more than you,” She tells us, shocking the two of us.


“I agree,” Gus tells us, taking Jenny to get a snack. “Just so you know, I’m team Jus,” He tells us all.


“But I wasn’t invited…”


“No, but probably because you’d have invited Marve and Eddy,” Gus tells him, sarcastically.


“Monty and Eli. I swear, Brian is rubbing off on Gus,” Mel says smiling at him.


“Mel, I just want Brian happy,” I tell her.


“Which he seems to be. So instead of being upset, focus on our lives. Unless your not happy with me,” She tells me.


“You sound like Ben. He keeps saying I need to stop thinking I know who Brian should date,” Michael grumbles.


“Since none of the guys you choose make it past dinner, I think you should listen to Ben,” Mel tells him.


“God. I didn’t want to bring this up, but you do know that Justin was one of Brian’s tricks? I didn’t remember until Emmett mentioned that Ted said Brian told him Justin was the kid Brian took home the night Gus was born,” He tells us.


“Which means what? Because I’m not seeing why the past matters,” Mel tells him.


“What if Dr Taylor somehow used us to see Brian again?” Michael asks us.


“We are the ones who decided to change doctors. It took us a month to get an appointment with him. If he was some deranged ex-trick wanting Brian… You know what, I’m not entering crazy land with you,” Mel tells him, pointing to the door.


“Sorry, I got jealous for a second,” I tell Mel, when Michael was gone.


“Honey, you have to let go and let your Peter have his own life,” She tells me.


“Which I’m going to do, but it wouldn’t hurt if I felt like Dr Taylor liked us,” I tell her.


“Why do you need him to like you?” She asks.


“I don’t know. Maybe because Brian loves him,” I tell her.


“So, you finally see the light,” She snickers.


“I do, and now I have to tell Phillip that I don’t think Brian is going to want to be his date at the GLC awards,” I groan.


“Call Walter, because I’m starting to sympathize with Brian. Do you realize what you're doing to my relationship with the Asshole? We have a great thing going, and I don’t want to upset the balance by siding with him,” She tells me, shaking her head at a world where she and Brian get along.


“Why Walter?” I ask.


“Because if anyone can like Tannis, Walter can,” She snickers.