- Text Size +

JUSTIN


Daphne came by for dinner, like she did anytime she had a night free. Gwen asked me why Brian wasn’t coming over. When I told her that Brian and I didn’t have to spend every minute with each other, she didn’t agree and told me she needed to do some homework while Daphne and I were finishing dinner.


“She likes him?” Daphne asks.


“They get along pretty well. She’s made phone friend with Gus, and made plans to spend time with Poppy, Ted and Blake’s daughter. The kids think we need help with dating,” I tell her.


“I don’t know about Brian, but you do,” She tells me.


“I’ve never had a problem dating in the past,” I tell her.


“Justin you’ve never really made it past a few months at most before you find something wrong with the guy,” She tells me.


“Really? You want me to compare your dating to mine. At least date one guy at a time,” I tell her, ducking when she threw a towel at me.


“I liked them both and didn’t lie to either of them. I even helped them meet their future wives, so it all ended well,” She laughs. “So where is Brian tonight? This is the first time since you two met that you aren’t having dinner together,” She asks me.


“He called and said that he had a business meeting tonight. It’s not like I expect him to be with me all the time,” I tell her, ignoring her when she could tell I was a little disappointed.


“I’m sure he would rather be here,” She tells me.


“I’m not even sure why it bothers me that he couldn’t come tonight. It’s not like we’ve been seeing each other that long. I don’t even know what we are yet. I can’t even say what I feel about the whole thing, because it’s too new. Shit, the truth is this thing with him scares the shit out of me,” I tell her.


“Why?” She asks.


“Because I had to stop myself from giving him a key to my house. We’ve only been seeing each other a couple weeks now and I’m thinking long term, which isn’t something I ever thought about the guys I’ve dated in the past. I spend way too much time thinking about him and I’m worried that I’m still that seventeen year old who thought he was the one,” I tell her.


“Justin, you didn’t spend years pining away for him. Hell, you didn’t even bother to go back and try to see him again. When you think about it, it’s not the past, but the fact that he’s an attractive man you’re getting to know now,” She tells me.


“I guess. But every time I see him we end up… well. And it’s confusing because I never jump in bed with someone before we get to know each other. Yet, we didn’t even have dinner the first night. Then, anytime I see him, I lose my mind and jump him, not that he’s complaining,” I tell her.


“Sex is normal and really not something you need to complain about, especially to someone who lately relies on Bob,” She jokes.


“We really need to get you a date,” I tell her.


“Too bad Brian doesn’t have a hot brother,” She tells me.


“That’s weird now that I think about it, anytime we talk about family he tends to change the subject. I couldn’t tell you if he had a brother or parents,” I tell her.


“He hasn’t mentioned any?” She asks.


“No, other than Gus. He’s the only family I know about. I was going to invite him to meet my mom, but changed my mind because I don’t know if we’re at that ‘family meeting’ stage,” I tell her.


“He’s brought over all his friends to meet you, so really, what would be the difference?” She asks.


“I guess, I’ll ask him when I see him again,” I tell her.


“I’m surprised he isn’t coming over later, I’ll miss coffee in bed with him,” She says wistfully.


“It’s really time to find you a date,” I tell her throwing the towel at her.


I looked at my phone when it went off, and saw a text from Brian. “I need you to come to Babylon,” Was all it said.


“What?” Daphne asked, when I probably looked confused.


“It’s Brian, saying he needs me to come to Babylon. Only, what’s he doing there when he said he had to work? Jesus, I sound like a jealous wife,” I tell her.


“He owns it, so maybe that’s where the meeting was. Go, I’ll stay with Gwen,” She tells me.


BRIAN


I felt like shit skipping out on Justin, but my birthday has never really been something I celebrated. It wasn’t until Gus called me after school that I remembered. Then Kelly from Eyeconics called wanting some last minute changes to a campaign. So, in truth I was working late, but not late enough that I couldn’t have gone to Justin’s house.


When I was leaving Mikey called and said he wanted to get a drink, and instead of saying no, I ended up at a surprise party thrown by Mikey and Jason. Who I now remember, and still didn’t want. ‘Why didn’t I just go over to Justin's house?’, is the question circling in my head. Everyone was there, but Mikey was playing possessive best friend and dragging me to the dance floor. When he grabbed Jason saying that I shouldn’t ruin my party by not dancing with everyone, I was done. Jason wrapped himself around me and figured I’d dance with him and then tell Mikey I was leaving.


“Brian, I think you need to look at the doorway,” Blake says when he rushes up to me, looking worried.


“Fuck.” Was the only thing that came out of my mouth when I saw Justin shaking his head and leaving.


I pushed Jason off and started towards the door, because Justin stomped out pissed. Mikey stopped me, saying I couldn’t leave my own party. I reached in my pocket to get my phone but it wasn’t there.


“Michael, do you have my phone?” I ask.


“Yeah, sorry it fell out of your pocket. I was just holding it for you,” He tells me, smiling like he does when he thinks he did something I wanted him to do.


“What did you do?” I asked.


“I felt bad that I forgot to invite Justin, but since I didn’t know his number I texted him for you,” He tells me.


“Then arranged for him to see me dancing with someone else. What the fuck were you trying to do?” I ask.


“Nothing, it’s not my fault that he doesn’t trust you,” He tells me.


“Are you being serious? What do you expect him to think when I told him I was working late. Instead he finds me here, with your choice for who I should be with. I should have just walked out of here, I didn’t even want to be here. If Justin decides he doesn’t want anything to do with me after this, our friendship won’t survive it either,” I tell him, getting in his face.


“What the hell are you doing Brian? Michael went to all this trouble to throw you a party and you treat him like this?” Ben asks, pulling Michael to him.


“Ask your husband what else he went to the trouble of doing. Don’t want to ask him? Then I’ll tell you. He called my boyfriend and invited him, just in time to see the show Michael apparently went to all the trouble of making sure Justin saw,” I tell Ben.


“Brian, instead of staying here, go catch Justin,” Blake tells me.


My phone shook with a text. “Lose my number. I don’t play games,” Justin sent.


“I don’t think he’s going to listen,” I tell Blake, throwing the phone at Mikey.


“I’ll tell him it was a joke,” Michael tells me, running behind me.


“Do me a favor, stay the fuck away from me,” I tell him, walking out, not knowing where to go.


LINDSAY


When I opened the door, I wasn’t sure what to make of Brian standing there looking totally lost. I pulled him behind me to the kitchen and made coffee. It felt strange to be the one comforting him, and instead of asking a thousand questions I waited for him to say something.


“Why didn’t I do what I wanted to tonight?” He mumbles.


“You're going to have to explain, because I’m sort of lost here,” I tell him.


Mel walked in with Jenny and of course she ran to Brian. “Bine!” She squealed, jumping in his arms that he held out to her.


Mel and I watched as he held on to her, as if needing the love Jenny had for him. Mel looked at me asking what was going on. I shook my head to tell her I didn’t know.


“I’m going to put her to bed, and check on Gus,” Brian tells us, getting up and walking out with Jenny.


“What’s wrong with him, I know he hates his birthday but...” Mel stops, bewildered at the Brian we were seeing.


“I don’t know, maybe the guys did something he didn’t like,” I tell her.


Mel called Ted and when she hung up she looked at me like she was ready to commit murder on Brian’s behalf. “Michael threw him a party and invited Justin. Then he made sure he got there in time to see Brian dancing with another guy. Justin left, telling Brian to lose his number. Brian left telling Michael pretty much the same thing,” Mel tells me.


“I see the grapevine is working,” Brian says from the doorway.


“Brian, call Justin and tell him what happened,” Mel tells him.


“I’m sure he’ll listen after he thought I was working, since that’s why I told him I couldn’t come over tonight,” He tells her, sarcastically.


“Why did you tell him that instead of inviting him with you?” I ask.


“I hate my birthday, and I WAS working, but when Mikey called I thought I’d have one drink and then leave. I didn’t know he was planning the party and that he’d do what he did,” He tells me.


“Bullshit, you could have left, so why didn’t you?” Mel asks.


“It doesn’t matter anyway, because Justin pretty much decided it's over,” He tells her.


“Wow, you lose one ball and then lose them both,” Mel tells him, making me want to ask her to stop.


“He’s the one who fucking ended it without even bothering to find out what was going on. I’m not chasing after someone who didn’t trust me,” He tells her.


“Why would he, you tell him one thing and then get caught not being where you told him. What’s he supposed to think?” Mel asks him.


“That I’m a lying sack of shit!” Brian yells.


“Which is one thing you aren’t, Asshole!” Mel yells back.


“You aren’t. And standing here fighting with Mel will only convince Justin you aren’t worth the trouble,” I tell him.


“I already tried. His best friend slammed the door in my face,” He tells us.


“What was Michael thinking?” I ask, not really asking.


“He’s probably still pissed that everyone was over at Justin’s and he wasn’t included,” Mel tells us.


“He and I were sort of discussing that we didn’t think Justin was your type,” I tell him, cringing at the look he gave me. “Mel can tell you that I don’t think that way anymore. I figured out that you love him,” I tell him.


“I never said I love him,” He snaps.


“You don’t have too, it’s obvious since you look like you lost something important. Do yourself a favor and chase him. Go against all the rules you live by and make him listen to you,” Mel tells him.


Brian walked out, not giving us a clue to where he was going. Mel grabbed her coat and said she was going to see Jenny’s father. She said it was time for Michael to understand that he didn’t know anything about Brian. I didn’t know how to react to Mel defending Brian. I smiled as I cleaned up, finally seeing that my wife liked my best friend.