- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

Ted and Blake arrived early, both saying it was great to see the opera but they missed Poppy. Blake barely said hello to us before running off to find Poppy.

 

“He spent the whole night wondering what Poppy was doing. We were both looking forward to a night alone, but it was strange not having Poppy with us,” He tells me.

 

“She’s been all over with Gwen and Gus, the only time we saw them was tucking them in last night,” Emmett tells him.

 

“I need you to arrange for Aunt Mary’s Cookies to meet with us as soon as possible. She’s going to come to you,” I tell him.

 

“Brian, you're here to get to know Justin’s family, not sit on your phone working,” Ted tells me.

 

“I’ve gotten to know his family. Oh, and do me a favor and don’t embarrass yourself when we get out back,” I tell him.

 

“Why would I embarrass myself?” He asks.

 

“I think you’re about to meet your own Captain Astro... Frank Thomas,” I tell him.

 

“Am I missing something?” Ted asks, looking confused.

 

“He’s Justin’s grandfather. Apparently he’s some kind of Corporate saviour or something,” Emmett tells him.

 

“Holy shit. You’re kidding right?” Ted asks.

 

“Like I said, don’t make Grandpa think your an idiot,” I tell him, heading out back.

 

Emmett followed me, laughing at Ted straightening out his clothes, saying he didn’t want to look like a slob. It was actually funny to see the look on Ted’s face. Frank wasn’t what he expected. Really, the man was a softy with kids around him, looking to Emmett for reassurance he wasn’t about to burn everything.

 

“What did you expect, Ted?” I smirked.

 

“This is dear Teddy?” Aunt Mary asked.

 

“Aunt Mary, this is Ted, and over with Poppy is his husband Blake,” I tell her, as Ted shakes her hand.

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Ted tells her, talking to her like she was a sweet old lady.

 

“In my day, I’d have shown you how much of a pleasure it would be,” She tells Ted, squeezing his butt.

 

“Mary, he probably wouldn’t have a clue what to do with boobs,” Grandma yells.

 

“Honey, we all know what to do, we just don’t really want to,” Emmett tells them.

 

“Drew said it wasn’t that bad,” Rose yells.

 

“Drew also only dated girls with nothing up top,” Emmett jokes.

 

“So Teddy, you think you could help me out?” Aunt Mary asks, winking at me.

 

“Um… I… Blake!” Ted looks nervously around us.

 

“Sweetie, I only want to schedule an appointment where you and Brian can show me all your tricks. Afterwards, I’ll make it worth your while,” Aunt Mary cackles, as Ted inches towards me.

 

“Jesus Mary, you’d scare a straight man gay. Ted, she wants an appoint with Kinnetik,” Grandma tells him, cackling even harder when Ted looks relieved.

 

Ted looks at Mary, then remembers the name of the company I told him about. “Aunt Mary I’d love to schedule an appointment for you, and after that, if you’d like, we could show you Pittsburgh,” Ted tells her.

 

“Well, the sisters and I were talking to Emmett and we have an itinerary of where we want to go,” Aunt Mary tells him.

 

“Brian, they have Babylon on this list,” Ted whispers.

 

“Grandma, really?” Justin asks, reading the list.

 

“Emmett told us it would be fun to shake our tail feathers. So, all you boys are going to take us dancing,” Rose tells him.

 

“Just agree Ted. I’ve spent my life negotiating with business leaders who look like little boys in comparison to these women,” Frank turns to tell him, as Emmett discreetly sprays down the flames.

 

“Frank even agreed to come,” Grandma says, rubbing her hands.

 

“Frank agreed to come to Pittsburgh to visit his daughter and come to the stadium with Drew,” Emmett tells them.

 

“Honey, in my Frank’s day, he cut a fine figure on the dance floor,” Grandma tells him.

 

“Drew’s team owner wants to meet Frank,” Emmett tells her, lying his ass off, while Frank nods.

 

The conversation stopped when Ida’s grandson showed up. Brandon looked at me standing there with Justin. Then looked a little too long at Justin.

 

“Brandon, sorry but apparently my grandson found a hottie of his own. So take your eyes off Justin’s ass,” Grandma warns, apparently not liking it any more than I did.

 

“I guess once again you win,” Brandon says, laughing.

 

“You know each other?” Justin asks.

 

“We’ve competed a few times,” Brandon tells him.

 

“Ever won?” Justin asks, catching on.

 

“I don’t even try anymore, just sit back and learn from the master,” Brandon tells him.

 

“The master is retired,” I tell Brandon, wrapping my arms around Justin.

 

“Completely understandable, although Justin was never interested in me,” He smiles.

 

“Grandma is trying to hook you up with Larry Stevens,” Justin whispers to Brandon, as we walk to where Emmett and Frank are.

 

“Good God why?” Brandon asks.

 

“I was already taken,” Justin snickers.

 

“Is there something wrong with Larry?” Emmett asks.

 

“No, he’s actually really nice,” Grandpa tells us.

 

“Is that ‘nice’ as in it’s the best quality you can think of?” Ted asks.

 

“I’m sure there’s more… yes, okay,” Grandpa says, giving up when Justin and Brandon stare him down.

 

When Larry showed up, I really didn’t understand the problem with finding something else to say about him. He was hot in the way Ben was, and boring in the way Walter was. I steered him to Paul, who might not admit that he’s gay, but he is. It wasn’t like we didn’t see the drool hanging out of his mouth when Drew took off his shirt after playing football with the kids all day.

 

Drew and Blake helped set up the buffet style lunch, while Justin and Ted took the kids to the clubhouse where Molly was waiting, willing to give up being with the adults to watch the kids. Which was really just the excuse to avoid any other matchmaking the Hens could do. Watching Brandon and Justin talk to each other would have worried me, except that Justin’s reactions to Brandon weren’t any different than his reactions to Emmett or Ted.

 

When the people were leaving, Justin’s mother dragged him to help his grandmother say goodbye to everyone. Ted pulled me aside and told me that Poppy wanted Gus and Gwen to ride home with them. We called Lindsay and Mel to let them know Gus would be coming home with Ted. They offered to keep Gwen if we wanted to have a night to ourselves. Emmett and Drew made plans with the Hens to stay with them when they came to town. It was the first time, other than Deb’s dinners, that all of us felt like part of a family.