- Text Size +

JUSTIN

 

I cracked an eye open when I felt someone staring. Brian was still wheezing away behind me, so of course I was thinking about all kinds of possibilities. Like maybe the zombie apocalypse happened and I'm about to get eaten, or maybe it was just that I wanted something to eat. Thinking about it before opening my eye, I figured it was just not wanting to wake up and not find, like food, but instead, just someone staring at me.

 

Emmett was standing there, pissed and tapping his toe. I looked over at the clock and saw that it was three in the morning and covered my head, refusing to move. Emmett knows I don’t function until noon. When I didn’t move, he pulled me out of bed quietly, since Brian would likely be pissed that Emmett saw my bits and pieces. We left the room after he threw my clothes at me, and for some reason he dragged me to my heaven, well, second to Brian naked. The kitchen was full of people cooking all sorts of stuff. I stopped, looking around suspiciously, because last night's dinner left me wary of food from here. Only like, the stuff smelled and looked edible.

 

”Who cooked the food last night for us?” I asked, glaring at each person for actually making something I wouldn’t eat, which isn’t easy to do.

 

A kid hangs his head in shame, before raising his hand. “Sorry, that Rupert guy sort of pissed us all off.” He tells me.

 

“When customers piss Deb off she does so much worse.” I tell him, thinking they need some help if rubber was the best they could do for revenge.

 

“Did you eat the salad?” He snickers, suddenly making me glad I didn’t. “It was special for Rupert and his prized pupils.” He tells me, moving up in my eyes. Suddenly I was eternally grateful Brian dragged me out when I considered eating the salad.

 

“Why are we here?” I asked Emmett.

 

“Michael came screaming into our room last night after Lindsay lost the WASP she is. Michael then went and told on us for not being where we were supposed to be, which Vern already knew. When that didn’t work, he went to get ‘team moron’ to preach through the door. Which unfortunately caused things to not work as well, because of listening to Michael’s whine. I wasn’t going to do this because I didn’t think of it earlier, but since a good time was not being had for me, we have time.” He tells me.

 

“You know how it seems like only Satan understands me all the time? Well, now I’m sort of lost, the way everyone else usually is while I ramble on. Why are we here?” I ask him, still confused. Then smiling when one of the cooks slides a big plate of food in front of me. I think I sort of went to Justin Land, like Brian is always saying when I miss all the things that explain things. It’s why I never ask for directions, because while someone is telling me, I sort of get bored and miss parts, like the directions.

 

“Baby, pay attention. I’m having a genius moment and want to impress the masses.” Emmett tells me, taking the fork out of my hands. “Like I was saying, Rocko let me in on what’s in the backpacks and that the kitchen was preparing the food. After we went to the island, I thought up something else. Mosquito bait.” He tells me.

 

“Okay, what’s that?” I ask.

 

“It’s filling up their packs with food that if you eat, Mosquitoes will come for miles to get a taste.” He tells me.

 

“Sounds kind of boring.” I admit.

 

“What do you do when mosquitoes invade?” He asks, peeved that I wasn’t lauding his genius.

 

“Swat them and try to get away.” Rubber Chicken boy yells, like he’s on Jeopardy.

 

“Okay, but what about it?” I ask.

 

“What did we spend all day doing yesterday?” He asks.

 

“Drinking?” I answer, still not getting it, but hey, he expects me to pay attention when I’m still hungry?

 

“No Rambo.” Emmett chastises me, but hands me the fork.

 

I took a bite then it all made sense. “Brian wanted to put more out, he so told me to call Leo.” I tell him excited.

 

“Drew said we could go as soon as I got through the backpacks for Michael, Ben, Mel, and Lindsay. I’m going to have to confiscate the HoHo’s and chips from your hoard.” He tells me, as I drop my fork. “I need you guys to pack them bananas, lots of protein.” He tells the guys with the backpacks in front of them.

 

“You want them in all the packs.” They ask.

 

“No, just the ones for the people on this list, and you know what, put Vern on the list too.” Emmett tells them, handing it to them.

 

“Vern is Rupert’s real name.” I tell them when they looked confused.

 

I shoveled it in like Michael when Emmett tried to drag me away. Brian was on his phone, which he was smirking about, when we got to the boat Drew had waiting for us. I made Brian sit on the back so I could go back to sleep. Which only lasted a few minutes, since unlike a kayak, Drew was made for speed, well the boat was, but it sounded better.

 

Then it’s back to working on all sorts of traps that apparently Drew had in mind. Emmett and I bet the guys we catch more of them in our nets and the ropes we set up all over, but Drew and Brian being ever competitive, decided they could do better. I have to say watching them dig holes wasn’t hard, I mean, I like the way Brian is built, but Drew wasn’t bad himself. We’d been at it for a couple hours when I heard what sounded like Ted yelping. Emmett and I ran to check and debated if we scored, since we caught Ted without meaning to. He was hanging upside down.

 

“So like hi. Um, sorry?” I scratched my head, because I never did figure out how we were supposed to get them down. Blake did, but it had to hurt, not much, I mean he wasn’t like that far off the ground.

 

“Oops, the rope slipped.” Blake tells Ted.

 

“I promise to take the car back.” Ted tells him.

 

“What did we miss?” I ask Blake.

 

“Only that the car wasn’t for me.” Blake glares at Ted.

 

“I thought it was sort of a stretch, since your birthday isn’t for months. Ted we are so going to have to flunk you at lying 101.” I tell him.

 

“It’s cool, after having to listen to Ben for two days, I’m over it. Since Ted is going to help Brian and Drew.” He tells us.

 

“I’m not getting the holes?” Emmett tells them.

 

“You will when the slime gets here.” Blake smiles.

 

“Really, like there isn’t a beach they can get cleaned up in? Man I really don’t get how you guys don’t think about these plans.” I tell them.

 

“It’s resistant to water, and well, let's just say Emmett’s mosquitoes have nothing on this shit.” Ted grins.

 

“We have to get them to run into the things, which Emmett and I planned better. Our stuff you don’t see until it’s too late.” I crow.

 

“Plus they’re putting them all over the place. Baby and I wanted to be able to get our drink on and just count the screams, not have to run all over and watch.” Emmett tells Ted.

 

“We all have to compete with each other to get the notes of love that Rocko is supposed to be putting all over the island.” Blake tells us.

 

“Notes of love?” Emmett asks.

 

“You heard me right, each envelope contains a prize for the couples who find them. Like getting to choose your roommate for the rest of our stay. And you're going to love this one, a day with Vern and the person of Vern’s choice, which apparently doesn’t have to be said partner we are here to rekindle the flame with.” Blake tells us.

 

“Emmett, grab a shovel, we need to dig bigger holes.” I growl.

 

“You might want these.” Ted tells me, handing me the envelopes.

 

“You brought more paper?” I ask.

 

“Of course.” Ted smirks.