- Text Size +

January 2012

The Sunshine and Rainbows Shelter was up and running, Ethan was in prison for several lifetimes, Michael was gone (not that anyone noticed or cared), and Carl was still trying to get his loving partner to slow down.

Carl and Debbie were about to celebrate ten years together. Brian and Justin, along with Ted, Blake, Drew, and Emmett wanted to do something special for the woman who was like a mother to them.

Brian and Justin came up with the idea of a cruise to the Mediterranean and Southeast Asia, a cruise that the boys themselves were wanting to take if they could find the time away from work. After talking to Carl about it, they decided that March would be a great time to do it. It was usually still quite cold in Pittsburgh at that time of year, while it was nicer where they would be cruising.

Justin called Emmett and Drew and asked them to come to Kinnetik, telling them he and Brian had something they wanted to discuss with the rest of the guys. Ted had called Blake to come to the office, too. An hour later, Blake was talking with Ted in his office when Emmett and Drew arrived with their two and a half year-old daughter Lyla in tow. Ted buzzed Brian and asked where they were meeting, and Brian told him that he and Justin would come down to his office. Brian brought Cynthia along to take Lyla, who was as much of a gossip as her father, back to her desk to play.

After everyone had greeted the precious little girl and Cynthia had taken her away, Brian sat down at Ted’s computer and pulled up the itinerary for an all expense paid, month-long trip for the couple.

“Justin and I are going to send Deb and Carl on a month-long cruise to the Mediterranean and Southeast Asia in March. They’ll start in Singapore and have stops in Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, Dubai, Egypt, Greece, Malta, Naples, and end in Rome. They can spend a few days there before they fly home.”

“Ooh, that sounds amazing!” Emmett said.

Brian nodded and continued, “We wanted to get all of you here to sign the card that we’ll include with all of their tickets and paperwork. We also wanted to ask you, Emmett, if you would like to take Deb and my credit card on a shopping spree to get new clothes and luggage for the trip.”

“You don’t have to ask me twice!” the shopaholic announced.

Drew shook his head at the couple. “Brian, it’s not fair for us to sign the card when we really can’t afford to split the cost of the trip with you. Em and I dumbly didn’t realize how much adopting a kid was going to cost us.”

“Same here, Brian,” Ted told his friend and boss. “You and Justin paid for this trip for them. We can afford to chip in some, but nothing like you two are doing. I’m sure it all must have cost at least ten thousand dollars, with the airfare, cruise, and hotel in Rome.”

“Double that and you’re getting warmer…” Justin mumbled.

“I’m sure Em could easily blow through a thousand at the mall,” Drew added, knowing how dangerous his partner was with a credit card.

“We aren’t asking you to chip in at all,” Brian assured them. “The four of you have supported Justin and me through everything, and you’ve all donated so much of your time and money to the foundation. Just accept this as a gesture of gratitude and sign the fucking card.”

“Please,” Justin added with his trademark smile.

The four men looked at each other and shrugged. Once the card was signed and sealed, they ordered lunch and planned how they would give the gift to Debbie and Carl.

Justin called Debbie that Saturday after finding out from Carl that she was off that day. Blake and Ted were playing with Lyla in the yard. Emmett had made a feast, which was in the refrigerator waiting for the final heating.

Mustering all of his acting skills, Justin dialed Debbie’s number.

“Hello?” she answered.

“Deb… *cough cough*... it’s Justin... *cough*... Brian… *cough*… and I are really… *cough*... sick. Do you… *cough* have any… *sneeze*... chicken soup… in the freezer…? *cough*”

“Uh, gesundheit,” Debbie said. “Are you two at Britin or the loft?”

“*cough*... Britin *cough*”

“I’ll be there as soon as I get the soup made. I have to make it fresh, so it will be a couple of hours until I can bring it. In the meantime, drink some tea and stay in bed.”

“Okay, Deb… *cough* thanks.”

When Justin got off the phone, Brian removed his hands from their position over his mouth. He was laughing hysterically along with Drew and Emmett, who were hanging streamers.

Emmett shook his head at Justin. “Baby, you’ll be lucky if she doesn’t show up with an ambulance and the CDC after that performance. I’ve only ever coughed that much when I had pneumonia in high school.”

“Well, I wanted it to seem real,” Justin shrugged.

“It sounded real, alright,” Drew added. “I wouldn’t be surprised if she walks in wearing a hazmat suit.”

Two and a half hours later, Lyla and Drew were watching the road from an upstairs window so they could warn them when “Gramma Deb” and “Grandpa Carl” were pulling up. Once Lyla saw Carl’s Buick, everyone assembled near the front door to surprise the couple.

Carl walked behind Debbie carrying the container of soup while Debbie unlocked the front door of Britin so she could take care of her boys.

“Surprise!” they all shouted as Debbie and Carl walked in. Emmett was snapping pictures of Debbie as she screamed, completely surprised. She looked at the faces of her boys and her grandbaby and burst into tears.

“What is this for?” she asked, turning to Carl.

“It was ten years ago today that you agreed to go out with me,” Carl answered with a big smile.

“Oh yeah, it was!” She then looked at Justin. “So, you and Brian aren’t sick?”

“No, we’re fine,” Justin answered, trying not to feel guilty for worrying her.

“Great acting, Justin,” Carl said. “She thought she would need to call an ambulance for you two when she got here.”

Debbie was led into the living room, which was decorated for the party. All of the food had been laid out on a folding table by the wall, along with a huge box containing the gift for the couple.

“Gramma Deb, Daddy wants you to eat his wonderful, delicious treats before you get to open your big box,” Lyla said. “We should do that now, ‘cause I really want to see what’s in the box. Unka Brian wouldn’t tell me, ‘cause he said I have a big mouth like Daddy. I don’t know why he said that, Daddy’s mouth is a lot bigger than mine.”

Everyone laughed at the cute little girl’s comment.

Once Emmett’s treats and Debbie’s soup were eaten, Brian sat the big box at Debbie’s feet where she was sitting on the sofa next to Carl. He handed her a pair of scissors to cut the ribbon holding it closed. When the ribbon was cut, balloons and confetti rose up out of the box, making Debbie yelp.

“You’re trying to give me a heart attack, aren’t you?” she asked.

Attached to the string on the balloons was an envelope. Debbie just sat there staring at the envelope floating in front of her face.

“Ma, you need to open the envelope to see your gift. It won’t bite,” Brian said to the mother of his heart.

“I’m afraid to,” Debbie answered, already tearing up.

“Come on, Red,” Carl urged, knowing she was going to love it. “Just open the gift from your sons and granddaughter.”

Debbie finally pulled out the contents of the envelope. As she started to read, Justin handed her a box of tissues.

“You’re sending us… to all of these wonderful places?” she asked in shock.

Justin nodded. “All of the documents you’ll need are in the box.”

“Did we make you get happy tears, Gramma?” Lyla asked in her sweet little voice.

“The happiest, Sweetie,” she answered, hugging her granddaughter. “Thank you all, so much.”

 


 

EPILOGUE

The Sunshine and Rainbows Foundation continued to receive overwhelming support from the community, both in donations and apprenticeships for the residents. Because he was such a great businessman, Brian decided to up the ante and offer an advertising discount to any business that was willing to offer apprenticeships. Word of this spread quickly, and due to Kinnetik’s reputation, they were inundated with offers. Soon all the residents had found work.

The construction companies who had joined the Sunshine and Rainbows project at the beginning got together and bought the old Vaseline Tower apartment building. The building was converted into sixty studio apartments, using the residents who were working their apprenticeships to do the work. It was decided that the building would be called Sunshine Apartments. The rent was affordable and several of the shelter’s residents were able to move in once they found paying jobs.

Within a year and a half of Sunshine and Rainbows Shelter opening, Sunshine Apartments was full, as was the shelter. All of the original shelter residents had been successful in their jobs and had either moved into the Sunshine Apartments or into other apartments in the city. Four of the couples had met at the shelter were engaged, including Tim Morgan, the brave young man who had escaped Ethan and identified him to the police.

The police routinely had a plainclothes unit of young-looking officers patrolling the bus station and parks near Liberty Avenue looking for homeless gay youths who needed help. If it was found that they couldn’t go home for whatever reason, they would be taken to the shelter, which had expanded to house up to seventy-five residents at a time. This resulted in a drop in crime around the neighborhood.

Pat and Sandy Clarke had joined PFLAG, in honor of their beloved son Aaron. Sam still lived with them and was in his second year of college. They were now fostering two more kids. Some of the homeless kids that were found around town were as young as twelve. Once it was established that their parents didn’t want them, they needed a place to go. The Clarkes had gotten some of their friends to foster a few of those too young to live in the shelter.

Ethan’s poor attitude often got him into trouble in prison. He spent quite a bit of time in both the infirmary and in solitary following fights with other prisoners and after mouthing off to the guards. He had also spent time trying to find a lawyer who would be willing to sue Brian and Justin for what he perceived to be the cause of him committing the murders. No one was willing to go against the couple, who along with the other members of the S&R Foundation had been given a Nonprofit Organization of the Year Award for their work and dedication to the homeless kids of Pittsburgh. The prison refused to allow him a violin to play because no one wanted to hear it despite Ethan’s assertions that he was a phenomenal player.

Debbie and Carl had a wonderful time on their cruise. Upon returning to Pittsburgh, Debbie went back to work a few days a week at the diner, mostly taking it easy a hostess. She couldn’t yet give up the atmosphere of the greasy old diner and especially loved hearing the gossip. Carl dedicated most of his time to the foundation, acting as a mentor and father figure to the residents. He often looked at photos that were on the wall of the foundation’s office of the four young men who lost their lives: Peter, Kyle, Aaron, and Adam.  

“I hope we’re making you proud, boys,” he would often say.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks to everyone who read our dark yet heartwarming story! A special thank you to everyone who left a review!

This is only one of a few stories in our Bittersweet Universe. Check the others out if you haven't already!

The End.
charming1 is the author of 27 other stories.
Lorie is the author of 40 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked Sunshine and Rainbows also liked 816 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Bittersweet Universe. The previous story in the series is Bittersweet Promise. The next story in the series is 7 (Prince Tribute).