- Text Size +



Changes

Chapter 1






“GUUUUSSSSS!” Bree screeched. She ran as fast as her little legs would carry her. With a force that almost knocked Gus onto his ass, she crashed into his legs, her face just about even with his crotch.

“Hey, short stuff,” Gus laughed picking her up and hugging her hard. “Take it easy or you could cause permanent damage.”

“I miss you so much,” Bree cried as she kissed all over her brother’s face.

“I missed you too,” Gus replied. He felt tears well up in his eyes and a large lump develop in his throat. He had only been away at college for a little over a week, but he missed everyone so much.

“What are you doing here, Sonny Boy?” Brian asked as he quickly made his way over to Gus, without making it too obvious that he was thrilled to see his son.

“The moms asked me if I’d like to come home for Molly’s housewarming. How could I pass up an offer like that?”

Brian grinned, but he had to ask, “And none of you thought to inform me?”

“It’s called a surprise,” Gus laughed as he set Bree down.

Brian gave him a big hug. “It’s a … not bad surprise,” he whispered into Gus’ ear.

“Thanks, Pop, it’s good to see you too.”

The family and most of Liberty Avenue, plus the Brenners, were assembled at Molly and Owen’s new cottage. They finally had it almost the way they wanted it. Brian had worked on their gardens, and they were looking beautiful, although they would continue to improve as the years went on. Brian had planted carefully with the future in mind.

It was the Labor Day weekend, and Molly, knowing the tradition of assembling at Edna’s Treasures for that day, had decided to combine it with her housewarming. John and Brian had moved the grills down to Molly’s cottage so that they could cook up a great barbecue for the assembled masses. Lawn chairs had been transported and everyone was assembled at the new cottage.

Tours of the cottage had been conducted with everyone oohing and aahing. It really was a tranquil and beautiful little cottage that John and his men had created for the young couple. Everyone loved Taylor’s room which contained a wall mural of baby toys painted by the inimitable Justin Taylor.

“Hey, buddy,” Justin said to Gus pulling him into a big hug. “How’s it going at Penn?”

“We haven’t started classes yet, but there have been some great parties,” Gus replied with a twinkle in his eye.

“Parties?” Justin asked raising an eyebrow in a manner worthy of his husband.

“I’ve also got all my books and I’ve done some of the required reading.” Justin nodded approvingly. “And I’ve gone to several parties.”

“Who’s throwing these parties?” Justin asked.

“I joined the GLBT club and they had one, and we had a little get-together at the house.”

“How much of a mess?” Justin asked knowingly.

“Huge!”

“So, did you clean it up?”

“Me and Timmy,” Gus said with a blush. “He’s almost as anal as I am. And I guess I have Pop to thank for that annoying trait.”

“Moi?” Brian asked tongue in cheek. No one was more anal than Brian Kinney.

“Guuuss,” Bree said still holding onto her brother’s hand.

“I hope you’re not going to carry this partying into the school year,” Brian said in a warning voice.

“I intend to work hard on my studies, but I also intend to party when I have the chance.”

“And that’s the way it should be,” Justin said quickly when he saw the disapproving look on Brian’s face.

“Guuusss!” Bree said more forcefully.

“What is it, short stuff?” Gus asked as he finally paid attention to his little sister.

“Can you talk to me?” she asked.

“Sure, what do you want to talk about?”

“I want to go to Penn with you?”

“Huh?” Gus asked not understanding Bree’s statement.

“I want to go to Penn,” Bree repeated.

“But you have to go to your own school,” Gus said looking at his father or Justin for help.

“Don’t want to. I want to go to Penn with you.”

“You have to graduate from elementary school, at least, before you can go to university,” Gus explained with a chuckle.

Bree frowned. “But that man at the uni-ver-sity,” she said carefully so that she got each syllable right, “said that I could go to Penn.”

“He meant in a few years … when you’re older.”

“I want to go now,” Bree said.

“I don’t think that’s possible,” Gus said gently. He hated to disillusion the little girl.

“I want to go … NOW … with you!” Bree declared.

Gus looked at his father and Justin. “Help,” he pleaded.

Justin stared at Brian. “This one’s yours.”

“She’s your daughter.”

“And you planted the seeds of her going to Penn,” Justin retorted. “Deal with it.”

Brian heaved a sigh and picked up his daughter. “Squirt, they don’t take students your age at Penn. You saw all the big people there, like Gus.”

“Don’t care,” Bree pouted. “I want to go with Gus.”

“They won’t let you.”

“I could convince them,” Bree said confidently.

Brian frowned. He didn’t seem to be getting anywhere. “We’ll visit Gus often, so you don’t have to miss him so much,” Brian promised.

“Don’t want to visit. I want to go to Penn with Gus.”

Brian knew he had to come up with something or they might be in the middle of a full blown tantrum. “Won’t you miss Ashley if you go away to school?” Brian asked grasping at that straw.

“Ashley?” Bree asked. She hadn’t been thinking about Ashley. She had been fixated on Gus.

“Ashley won’t be able to go to Penn, even if you can convince the dean to accept you. Ashley will be very lonely without you.”

“Oh!” Bree replied with a furrowing of her brow.

“You don’t want to make Ashley sad, do you?”

“No,” Bree sighed.

“Then maybe you should stay at your school here,” Brian said hopefully. “You and Ashley can go away to university together when you grow up.”

“Maybe,” Bree conceded.

“You think about it, Squirt,” Brian said as he set her down. “Go ask Auntie Emm for a drink of juice.”

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree said as she ran over to Emmett.

“Good one, Pop,” Gus said.

“I just played the ever reliable Ashley card,” Brian said smugly.

“And what are you going to do when she wants to go away to school with Ashley in a few years?” Justin asked.

“She’ll never remember,” Brian replied.

“Wanna bet?” Justin asked.

Brian frowned as Justin and Gus had a good laugh at Brian’s expense.



*****



“Curtis!” Gus called out as the Samuels-Angles-Sanchez car pulled up. They had become a part of the Edna’s Treasures family and attended many of the family gatherings. The boys hugged and slapped each other on the back.

“Hey, Gus! How’s it going at school?”

“So far, it’s great. Of course I haven’t gone to a class yet so maybe you ought to ask me that question in a few weeks.”

“What about PIFA?”

“Their schedule’s a little different. I already have projects to work on.”

“Wow.”

“Tell me about it.”

“Are you worried?”

“No, but I can already see that I’ll have to stay focused if I want to keep my grades up. But enough about me. You excited to be back in school soon?”

“Yeah, I am. I mean I loved the summer and working with Dr. Raph and Hector, but it’s not so easy to be a vet. All those sick animals and they can’t tell you what’s wrong. Dr. Raph and Hector are so good with them, but I think I need a break.”

“Some break, you’ll be in school all day.”

“Yeah but I like school.”

“So do I,” Gus said with a smile. “Come on; let’s go find something to eat.” The boys walked toward the front door of the new cottage, deep in conversation.



*****



“You two behaving?” Brian addressed Melanie, his eyebrow arched high. The girls appeared to be in cooperation mode for the day.

“For now,” Melanie snarked, as she filled up two plates with salad.

“Where’s JR?” Brian asked, looking around for the girl.

“How come you seem to get along better with my daughter than I do?”

“Women love me,” Brian boasted. “Except for you, of course,” he retorted as he picked a tomato wedge off her plate then popped it in his mouth.

“You’re a pig,” Melanie griped menacingly.

“And you’re an uptight bitch,” Brian growled back. The long time nemeses glared at each other then broke out into giggles. “Mel, honestly, are you two okay? You had Gus worried when I picked him up that day. JR wasn’t looking very happy either. And speaking about the young lady, how are you?” Brian asked JR as she approached them.

“I’m fine, Uncle Bri.”

“Sweetheart, here’s your salad and would you mind giving this one to Mom?”

“Is this your way of getting rid of me ‘cause you two want to talk privately?” JR asked. She was a very savvy girl.

“Um, yes,” Mel answered, unable to hide anything from her very astute daughter.

“Okay,” JR said cheerfully as she took the plates. “Later, Uncle Bri.”

“Later,” Brian responded. “She’s got fucking brains, that one. Are you sure Mikey’s the father?”

“Yeah, I’m sure,” Mel answered softly. Then out of nowhere, Melanie revealed, “She’s agreed to couples therapy. We have our first appointment later this week.”

“What about the show?” Brian asked knowing it was a convenient excuse for Lindsay not to go.

“She promised me this time. It was either that or getting a subpoena,” Melanie said sadly. Brian stepped closer. He saw the small lines around her eyes and the dark shadows under them.

“Can...can I help?” He never really hated the woman and he did feel somewhat responsible for getting them back together.

“I wish we could have some more time alone, without worrying about work and shit,” she said wistfully. Brian’s brain went into full problem solver mode as he gently guided the petite woman back out into the garden. “What are these?” Mel asked as she caressed a tall colorful stalk-like flower.

“Lupines,” Brian answered without a moment’s hesitation. “The Plaza.”

“What?”

“Send JR to her father’s for a weekend then take your wife for a spa weekend at the Plaza.”

“Brian, that place is expensive.”

“And so is picking up the pieces after your marriage falls apart. Mel, don’t worry about the cost. I keep a suite of rooms there for Kinnetik and for whenever I need them. Speak to Ted; he’ll make the arrangements. I’ll speak to Emmett.”

“Emmett?”

“Yes. I have a standing contract with him to cater the suite at my request. He’ll also know how to book the spa day.”

“Why, Brian?”

“Why?”

“Yeah, why? It’s certainly not because you have a deep seeded love for me. I know you’ve always thought Lindsay could do better.”

“That’s not true. I just didn’t believe in gay marriage at the time. I still don’t believe in it for everyone. I don’t want either of you to be hurt, and I certainly don’t want my son and JR hurt because you and Lindsay can’t seem to get it together. Gus is worried he’ll come home from college to find you guys have split.”

“I know. JR’s been giving me the evil eye lately. She has a lot of Debbie in her.”

“Shit! That’s a scary thought.” They moved over to another bunch of tall flowers.

“What are these?”

“Purple cone flowers.”

“I still can’t get over how much you know about gardening!”

“People change, Mel. We can learn and grow.”

“What have you learned?” Mel murmured. A small bee was buzzing from flower to flower trying to gather as much pollen as it could before the cold weather set in.

“I’ve learned that some changes and compromises must take place to keep a relationship going.”

“You, Brian Kinney, Mister my way or no way, have the nerve to preach about relationships?”

“I’m not preaching, just stating the obvious. Examine the evidence, Mel. You know me and you’ve known Justin since he was seventeen. Think about it,” Brian said as he turned to go back into the cottage.

“What are...?”

“Hostas!” he called out over as shoulder as he walked back toward the grills.



*****



“Mom, isn’t my cottage beautiful?!” Molly gushed as she gave Jennifer and Seth the tour of the tiny cottage.

“It’s quite beautiful, honey,” Jennifer agreed. “But isn’t it a little small,” Jenn whispered.

“Mom, we wanted it small. It’s not like we’re going to live here year round. It’s really just a summer home. Just some place we can come to when we want to get out of the city.”

“Then in that case, I think it’s perfect. And it looks easy to keep clean,” Jennifer commented.

“Oh, Mom.”

“I think it’s perfect and I love the color scheme you picked out,” Seth said. “I think the sage walls fit the theme of the garden and yet are neutral enough to go with practically everything.”

Mother and daughter stared at Seth for a moment.

“What?” Seth asked the women.

“Nothing!” mother and daughter said together then giggled. Seth shook his head then decided to help Brian and John with the grills.



*****



“This is some fucking place,” Debbie mumbled around an ear of corn.

“John did an outstanding job,” Carl agreed. “And that garden! They say Brian had a hand in that.”

“He is the master,” Debbie said, raising her corn in a salute. She and Carl laughed. Then she grew quiet for a moment. “Carl, honey, things feel different to me,” Debbie said solemnly.

“In what way?”

“I’m not sure, but so many things have changed in the past year.”

“Sweetheart, not all changes are bad. Look at us. We’re free to come and go as we please, and I think it’s time for another road trip. Maybe after Gus’ birthday. Some place warm.”

“Honey, it’s still warm here.”

“You know what I mean.”

“Okay, I’m game but we’re back by Christmas. Deal?”

“Deal!” Debbie and Carl kissed on it then continued to eat their excellent meal.



*****



“Susan, why are we here?” Craig Taylor whined at his wife. Emmett walked by and handed them plates filled with a variety of foods. Susan smiled fondly at the tall queen. Craig just about acknowledged him with a grunt.

“We’re here because your daughter and son-in-law are having their first party in their new summer home,” Susan said reasonably. She was determined that Craig Taylor’s homophobic attitude was not going to ruin her day.

Owen walked up with a beer for his father-in-law. Craig took it then took a good long drink. He looked around the yard then finished off his beer.



*****



“Hey,” Justin greeted Brian as he was finishing up at the grill.

“Hey, yourself, Sunshine. What do you have there?” Brian asked as he noticed something hidden behind Justin’s back.

“Just a little treat for us to share,” Justin said with a coy smile.

“I’m all for public sex but not in front of the kids,” Brian snarked as he raised a brow.

“There are other ways of showing affection,” said Justin as he revealed his hidden prize.

“Ice cream?”

“Vanilla ice cream,” Justin murmured as he dipped his spoon into the bowl then offered the creamy cool confection to his mate. Brian obediently took the offering then watched as Justin ate some. Justin stood on his toes to share a cool sweet kiss with his lover.

“Justin,” Brian growled out a warning. He could feel himself growing hard in response, and this certainly wasn’t the time or the place.

Justin stepped back. “I know, later.”

“Why?”

Justin smiled; he knew what his lover meant. Translating Brian-speak was almost second nature to Justin. “Because I realize how stressful the Summer has been for you, for us. The henge, this cottage, the gate. Even Bree going to camp.”

“The advertising campaign from hell,” Brian griped, referring to the Lethal Motorcycle campaign which was still in research mode.

“Exactly. And now Gus, almost a man, going off to college. I just wanted to remind you that not all things change. There’s one thing that you can count on for the rest of your life,” Justin exclaimed with confidence.

“Oh yeah?” Brian asked smugly.

“Yeah,” Justin replied in the same smug tone.

“What’s that?”

“That I love you. That whenever you need it, I’ll be there with ice cream kisses. And no matter what happens, you are my world,” Justin whispered.

Brian pulled the younger man close, wrapping his arms around him, the ice cream threatening to go splat onto a shrub.

“You are my life, Brian,” Justin murmured into his husband’s chest. Justin felt Brian nod and the hug tighten, Brian-speak for ‘I love you too, Sunshine’.

Across the yard, the exchange did not go unnoticed.

“They never seem to get enough of one another,” Lindsay commented with a tinge of envy.

“That’s not a bad thing,” Mel said.

“You’re defending their behavior?” Lindsay said with shock.

“They love and respect each other, Lindz. That’s so much more than half the couples we know, including us.”

“But I love you,” Lindsay replied.

“Sometimes I wonder,” Mel said sadly as she turned to find her son and daughter.