- Text Size +

 

Changes

Chapter 12





“Hey, Ray,” Gus said with a smile as he answered his cell phone.

“Hey, yourself. How’s tricks?” Ray joked.

“Jeez, you sound like my Pop when you say stuff like that.”

“Your Pop is pretty cool.”

“Yeah, he is,” Gus agree. “What prompted this call?”

“I was thinking about you.”

“Really?” Gus asked flattered that Ray might think about him spontaneously. He thought about Ray all the time lately.

“It won’t be too long until I get to see you,” Ray said waiting for the response he hoped that statement would bring.

“I can’t wait either.”

And that would be the correct response, Ray thought to himself. A big smile spread across his face. “My dads decided to buy me a plane ticket to Pittsburgh. They were hoping to be able to come for your birthday too, but business isn’t cooperating.”

“That’s too bad,” Gus said and he meant it. “I always enjoy being with your dads.”

“Only because you don’t have to live with them,” Ray joked.

“Too much ‘rents makes for dull sons,” Gus replied with a chuckle.

“And we’re definitely not dull boys,” Ray declared.

“But you’re coming and that’s the main thing.”

“Thanks for saying that. My plane ticket gets me in on Friday around dinnertime. Would somebody be able to pick me up at the airport?” Ray requested.

“You know I have the biggest extended family in the universe,” Gus laughed. “I’m sure we can find someone to meet your plane.”

“When do you get home from Penn?”

“The moms are picking me up Thursday night. I only have one Friday class and I don’t think it will hurt if I miss it. I could use a long weekend.”

“Finding university tough?” Ray asked.

“No, not really tough, as in academics. But I do miss everybody. I’ve made friends, but it’s not the same as having family to depend on,” Gus admitted.

“Oh, you mean the biggest extended family in the world,” Ray teased.

“Excuse me, but that would be the biggest extended family in the universe, not just this puny old world.”

“I stand corrected,” Ray chuckled. Then his voice grew soft but serious. “I really am looking forward to seeing you. Do you think we’ll have any time alone to talk or … whatever?”

“I’ll make some time,” Gus promised.

“That sounds good,” Ray said. Then he sighed. “I should let you go.”

“Yeah, I have a paper to finish.”

“Work hard and make that huge family proud.”

“I intend to,” Gus replied. “And I can’t wait till my birthday. See you soon.” Gus closed his cell phone and set it down beside the computer. He stared at the screen trying to think about his paper he had to write. But all he saw in front of him was Ray’s face.



*****



“Daddy, is Gamma Joan coming to Gus’ birfday party?”

“That’s birthday, Bree.”

“’Kay, birthday,” she repeated carefully. “Is she?”

“Of course she is. She’s Gus’ grandmother too.”

“Can I give Gus a half a car too?”

Justin smiled at his daughter. Bree always wanted to participate in anything that was going on, and she truly had a generosity of spirit that was unmatched. Justin liked to think that she got a lot of that from Brian who was always doing things for people whether they ever knew about it or not.

“I think we have the half car covered, Bree. But we do need a really nice card to go along with it. Do you think you could make one for us?”

Bree nodded her head, her little ponytails bouncing on each side of her face. She smiled at her father. “I can do that.”

“I think Gus would be very pleased to get one of your cards to go with his gift.”

“Can I start now?” Bree asked.

“Let’s go find you some nice paper to use,” Justin said as he headed for the sun porch. He felt Bree slide her hand into his and he had to smile. He had the world’s best daughter.



*****



“Theodore, get your ass in here,” Brian said into his phone.

Within a few seconds Ted was standing in front of his desk. “What’s wrong, Boss?” he asked obsequiously. He couldn’t think of anything he had done to bring down Brian’s wrath upon his head.

“What the fuck is this?” Brian asked. He shoved a piece of paper in Ted’s direction.

Ted picked up the paper and looked at it. It was one of the preliminary ads for the weekend mini-camps at Camp Little Flowers. “It’s just a start,” Ted said uncertainly.

“Who is responsible for this piece of shit?”

“MacLean,” Ted replied.

“Would you care to tell me why Kinnetik has hired such a mediocre adman? And I use the term adman with some difficulty.”

“Um,” Ted stammered, not sure how to reply. He had known the ad was piss poor, but Kinnetik was doing the work for free, and it was only for a very limited audience that would be interested in the craft workshops that Camp Little Flowers would be giving.

“I do not take ‘um’ for an answer,” Brian stated, glaring at Ted. “I left this in your hands, and this is what you come up with?”

“I … I didn’t want to use a lot of valuable time to make the brochure. It’s not that bad,” Ted said rather pathetically.

“And it’s certainly not good! Kinnetik does not put out crap work for any reason. If it’s not good work, it does not leave these premises. Do I make myself clear? Now, get MacLean to do this properly or you can join him on the unemployment line.”

“Yes, Boss, of course, Boss,” Ted said quickly. He turned to leave the office.

“Theodore!”

Ted turned around to look at Brian. “Yes?”

“For future reference, do not ever allow something this inferior to go beyond your office. I won’t have it. If it’s done by Kinnetik, it’s done properly. No, make that, it’s done fabulously.”

“Yes, Boss. Will do, Boss.” Ted hustled towards the door.

“Oh, and Theodore…”

Ted froze wondering what Brian was going to hit him with next. “Yes, Boss.”

“I’ll see you at Gus’ birthday party.”

Ted smiled just a little bit as he turned to look at Brian. “Of course.”

“Good.”

Ted beat a hasty retreat out of the office before Brian thought of something else to torment him with.



*****



“Hey, Sunshine.”

“Hey.”

“I’m about to leave Kinnetik. Will dinner be on the table when I get there?”

“Of course, sire, all your favorite dishes served by the finest wenches,” Justin teased.

“Wenches? Who asked for wenches?”

“Servingmen, butlers?” Justin asked with a smile on his face.

“I was hoping for scantily clad slaves.”

“Hm, I might be able to arrange that for you.”

“Think you can still get that bubble butt of yours into a loin cloth?” Brian asked.

“I think I might be able to.”

“Why don’t you save that for after dinner? We haven’t played master and slave for quite a while.”

“That’s true, but I think it’s my turn to be master.”

“Shit!”

“Now, now, you know you like it when I make you grovel and beg and then fuck your ass off.”

“I’m getting hard,” Brian groaned.

“Then get your ass home so we can eat and get on with the really important stuff,” Justin ordered.

“I’m on my way.”

Brian set down the phone with a big smile on his face. He was out of Kinnetik in under a minute.



*****



“Mrs. Taylor? I’m Leda Thalberg,” Leda said extending out her hand as she walked into Jennifer’s realty office. Jamie was with her.

“Call me, Jennifer. And I’m Mrs. Harris now,” Jennifer said proudly. “I have a few properties all lined up for you to look at; however, I’d like for you to tell me a little more about what you envision for your home.”

Leda and Jamie sat down, accepting the coffee Jennifer offered. Leda wasn’t quite sure what to make of the lovely petite woman who looked very confident sitting behind her desk. Leda had dealt with many real estate agents in the past, leasing apartments all over the country, wherever her bike took her, but none were as striking as Jennifer Taylor, now Harris.

“Jennifer, as I said on the phone, I’m looking for a house, not a condo or co-op,” Leda said most impatient with the questioning.

“Houses come in many shapes and sizes,” Jennifer stated, nonplussed at Leda’s attitude. No one could be any more demanding than her son-in-law, Brian Kinney. Jennifer whipped out dozens of examples of potential houses. She knew she had made her point when she heard the dramatic sigh emanating from Leda.

“I had no idea,” Leda admitted.

“Not many people do and that’s why you hire me. You obviously are a serious buyer and I have done my research. So let’s try narrowing it down to location.”

“I’d like to stay close to Liberty Avenue, if possible, but away from all the noise. It’s still like Pride out there every Friday and Saturday night.”

“I understand. Unfortunately, on this side of town,” Jennifer pointed to a map of the city, indicating near Tremont, “there are very few houses for sale. Over on this side we have many possibilities.” Jennifer pointed to the area now known as the Village.

“From what I remember, that area was a disaster,” Leda said with a snort. Jamie was about to contradict her when Jennifer jumped in.

“That area has gone through quite a change,” Jennifer said proudly. Her family had a lot to do with that change too.

“Here?” Leda exclaimed, not believing what she was hearing, pointing to the same map.

“Yes. And the properties are going fast. I do have one particular listing that may interest you. It’s a modest home, almost a cottage and it’s set back, away from the street. It has a bit of land around it so you’re not right on top of your next door neighbors. The cottage is a bit run down though. The original owner passed it down to his family. The last owner was a woman who never married and is the last of the family. Due to poor health, she was forced to move into an assisted living apartment. She wants to sell but is hesitant.”

“Why?” Jamie asked, finally getting up the nerve to contribute to the conversation. It was, after all, Leda who was buying the house.

“The owner would prefer to sell to someone who would fix up the place, not knock it down. She’s holding out, but her health is failing her. She may not get her wish.”

“May we look at it?” Leda asked seriously. If the cottage was anything remotely like the ones she saw and stayed at, at Edna’s Treasures, Leda wanted it.

“Of course. We can go over now,” Jenn said as she grabbed her purse and the envelope containing the keys and the folder on the cottage. “Let’s take my car,” she suggested, wanting a captive audience.



*****



Jennifer took the scenic route to the property in question. She slowly drove through the bustling but yet quiet community now known as the Village.

“Boy, I have been away for a long time,” Leda murmured from the passenger seat of Jennifer’s car. “I remember that apartment house but it looked like it was standing on its last legs. And this was all vacant lots. Now, it’s...”

“Now it’s a viable community providing homes and employment for some of Pittsburgh’s reformed youth. That flower shop is not only a store, but the Smiths live there as well. Emmett opened his restaurant next to his partner’s sporting goods store. The Village prides itself on being a little bit of old fashioned country living in the middle of a big city.” Jennifer’s explanation included the history of the Village.

“Hey, that’s my bike!” Leda said as Jennifer slowed down. A Lethal Bike was parked on a rotating platform in front of Drew’s store. It was getting many favorable and longing looks from customers going in and coming out of the store. “Damn, he was right,” Leda grumbled to herself.

Jennifer drove down the other side of the street so that Leda could see the garden, the bookstore and the Village Diner. Then she drove a few more blocks to a quiet street. Toward the end of the street which was terminated at a cul-de-sac, stood the cottage Jennifer spoke of. The quaint cottage was set back from the street. There was a small red maple tree off to one side in the front of the cottage. Neatly trimmed hedges edged the perimeter and lawn of the property. The long driveway ended in a modest garage.

Jennifer parked out front.

“Can we have a look inside?” Jamie asked with a bright smile. Jennifer smiled at the young woman who reminded her of Molly. Jennifer nodded as she held out the keys.

“This is like stepping back in time,” Jamie said with awe. As an artist, Jamie could see all the possibilities and appreciated the simple design of the cottage.

“Why does this cottage seem familiar?”

“You’ve been up to Edna’s Treasures, haven’t you?” Jennifer asked Leda.

“Yes, how do you know?” Leda asked with suspicion in her voice.

“When you walked into my office, you addressed me as Mrs. Taylor and in business I do go as Jennifer Taylor. You may know my son.”

“Wait!” Jamie said excitedly, “Justin Taylor is your son!”

“Yes, he is,” Jennifer said proudly.

“I met him when he was planting his ‘henge.’ And he’ll be there on the second day of the Emerging Artists show at the Sidney Bloom Gallery. He’s a wonderful person. He’s such an inspiration in the arts. I teach at PIFA; he’s always contributing something to the institute.”

Jennifer blushed as Jamie extolled the virtues of her son. “Justin told me that you visited the cottage recently. Brian is working on a campaign for you.”

“Yes, but I’m not supposed to discuss it.”

“Not to worry. It was only mentioned because both Brian and Justin wanted me to handle your account personally and not give it to an associate. Neither of them discuss their business,” Jennifer reassured her client. “This cottage may have been built or designed by the same person who built John and Bobby’s cottage. The arrangement of the rooms is a duplicate of their cottage which actually didn’t start its life as a cottage. Their home is the original cookhouse for a larger mansion that no longer exists. There were many such mansions on this side of town two hundred years ago. It is conceivable that this cottage survived them all.”

The ladies took the tour which was basically done in fifteen minutes. The cottage was small.

“If this is an old cookhouse, somewhere around here should be a door,” Jennifer said as she knocked on some panels on one of the kitchen walls. One large panel gave a hollow sound. Jennifer took a chance and pushed on it. They all heard a little click then the panel opened about an inch. Jenn opened the door wider to reveal the root cellar. It hadn’t been used in years but with renovation, could become a usable basement.

“How did you know?” Leda asked.

“Ask Justin about the time he found a dozen...”

“Kinneys!” Jamie shouted out. “I know that story. Justin found JAB Kinney’s paintings in an old root cellar. I had no idea it was something like this.”

“And that’s the house John and Bobby live in?” Leda was floored. “I want this house, and your recommendations on who to hire to fix it up.”

Just then a knock on the door brought the ladies toward the front of the house.

“Hello! Anyone home?” Gordon Smith had been hired by Jennifer to inspect the house and keep it from falling down before it could be sold. He smiled when he saw Jennifer and extended his hand. “Miss Jennifer! I thought I saw your car drive by. I was helping my Betsie with a delivery.”

“Gordon, just the man I wanted to see,” Jennifer said as she shook the big man’s hand. Jennifer made the introductions then asked if he and John would take on the job of renovating the cottage, with Leda’s approval, of course.

“I’ll go call the boss-man and have him work up an estimate. You know I have no head for figures,” Gordon teased.

“Liar,” Jennifer shot back. “You just leave John the hard part.”

“That too!” Gordon and Jennifer laughed.

Then Jennifer turned to address the girls. “Gordon is John Anderson’s business partner in Anderson Construction. Their company did all the work on the Village. Gordon and his wife own the flower shop.”

“And we live there. My Betsie has become the Debbie Novotny of the Village,” Gordon said proudly. “The kids come to her when they need a little motherly advice or TLC. But we digress. John and I just finished up a big job in Harrisburg. Working on this cottage would be a nice change. Plus I can use some of our kids.”

“Kids?” Leda was puzzled.

“During the construction of the Village, John and I and our crews instructed many of Hunter’s kids regarding the construction business.”

“Are you trying to tell me that the Village was built by a bunch of ex-hustlers and street kids?” Leda nearly shrieked.

“No, I’m saying that Anderson Construction built the Village while mentoring some of Hunter’s kids as they learned the basics about construction. Many have gone on to pursue a career in construction, plumbing and electrical engineering. It’s not just book learning; you need hands on experience.”

Leda nodded. She remembered ruining her first motor scooter by taking it apart to learn what made it tick. She still had that scooter in storage somewhere. “All right, you’re on. I’ll have Jennifer give you a call after I finalize the sale.”

“Gordon, why don’t you and John work up the estimate and the plans?”

“Sounds good to me. I’ll give John-boy a call!” Gordon announced cheerfully as he headed out the door.

“I think this calls for a celebration,” Jennifer said. “Would you like to go for coffee at the Village Diner? You’ll get to know your neighbors,” Jenn said as she looked at Leda and Jamie. The girls nodded.

“Jennifer,” Leda began seriously as they were closing up the house. “Doesn’t any of this faze you?” Leda asked. Jennifer appeared too comfortable in her dealings with Leda.

“I’m not sure what you mean?”
“Me, Jamie and a whole town built by hustlers.” Leda wasn’t used to having a very straight person, especially a straight woman, accept her at face value. All Leda’s life she had to fight for whatever respect she wanted and earned. Jennifer had the air and comportment of a woman from the 'good side of town' and yet was comfortable having a conversation with a construction worker and a dyke.

“Leda,” Jennifer began in her most patient mother type tone. “At seventeen my son was nearly killed just for being gay and for eighteen years he’s been in love and has been loved by Brian Kinney. Nothing fazes me anymore,” Jennifer said nonchalantly as they got into her car and drove to the diner.



*****



“The Bloom Gallery, how may I help you?” Lindsay answered the phone very professionally.

“You can come home soon so I can ravish you in the shower then ravish you after dinner and then again after dessert. Better yet, you can be my dessert,” Melanie said seductively into the phone.

“Oh my!” Lindsay panted. The weekend at the Plaza, plus the couples counseling that they promised to continue was doing the trick. They were acting like newlyweds and making love like newlyweds as well.

“I have a few more things to do here but then I’m closing up on time. The new show opens soon. I want everything to be perfect.”

“I have no doubt that it will be.”

“What are you up to?”

“I’m helping JR with her homework and dinner’s in the oven keeping warm.”

“Dinner? It’s kind of early.”

“Debbie was just here with a massive tray of lasagna. She said all it needed was some salad and a good wine. I guess everyone in the family knows about the Plaza.”

“Does that bother you?”

“No. Not anymore it doesn’t.”

“Why? You always hated that everyone knew our business, even more than Brian hates his privacy being invaded.”

“Because they are our family. And we can count on them and they’ve proven their love and loyalty time and time again. My family couldn’t care less that I’m the most successful one of them all or that we have two wonderful children. And your parents don’t give two shits about me or the kids either.”

“True. Our relationship has lasted the longest in my family, give or take the few bumps we’ve had. My sister is what, on her fourth, fifth husband? And they keep paying for the weddings.”

“I guess Kinney was right.”

“About what?”

“That you can teach an old bitch new tricks.”

The girls hung up but not before promising each other another night of passion.