- Text Size +

 

Changes

Chapter 13





“Dada, do you like my card?” Bree asked as she handed Brian a large sheet of folded paper.

Brian took the paper and looked at the side of it that was on top. It contained a large rainbow running from side to side. Bree’s trademark brown and black had been added to the traditional colors of the rainbow. Across it Bree had printed in her neatest lettering: “Happy Birthday, Gus, my bestest brother.”

“It’s beautiful,” Brian responded, giving Bree a hug.

“Open it,” Bree ordered.

Brian flipped open the folded paper. Inside was a drawing of a black car. “This looks like…”

“It’s your old Jeep,” Bree said with a big smile. “Daddy showed me some pictures of it. You and Daddy looked real young in the pictures.”

“Did we now?” Brian chuckled. “I’ll have to speak to Daddy about revealing our secrets.”

Bree frowned. “Is the Jeep a secret?” she asked seriously.

“No, Squirt, the Jeep’s not a secret.”

“But you said…”

“I was just kidding.”

“Oh,” Bree said thoughtfully. “Do you think Gus will want a black Jeep like you and Daddy had?”

“Hm,” Brian said. “I don’t know that Gus would want a black Jeep, but he might … just like Daddy and I had,” Brian laughed.

“What’s funny, Dada?” Bree asked, curious.

“Um, nothing, Bree. I was just reliving my misspent youth.”

“Huh?”

“You’ll understand when you’re a little older.”

“Okay,” Bree replied. She didn’t understand anything her Dada was saying, so maybe it would be better to wait until she was a little older. Sometimes grown ups were pretty silly. “Are you going to sign the card for Gus?” Bree asked.

“I could do that. What color should I use?” Brian could see that Justin had already signed near the bottom of the page. He had written Gus a little note and signed his name in sunshine yellow.

“Pink!” Bree replied decisively.

“Pink? Isn’t that your color?”

Bree shook her head. “I’m using purple for Gus.”

“How appropriate,” Brian chuckled.

“What do you mean, Dada?”

“Um…” Brian wasn’t sure what to say.

“Is this another thing I need to be older for?” Bree asked.

“Yes, Squirt,” Brian agreed deciding to take the easy way out. “Where’s your pink crayon?”

“I get it,” Bree said as she ran over to her little table where her stash of crayons was laid out. She came back with a pink one for her father and a purple crayon for herself. “You sign first, Dada,” Bree instructed.

Brian thought for a minute and then wrote, “To the best son any man could have, Pop.”

“That’s good, Dada,” Bree said as she printed, “To the bestest brother any sister could have,” right below where Brian had written.

“I think we should get this laminated,” Brian said looking at their handiwork.

“Laminated?” Bree asked.

“I’ll take it into Kinnetik. We have a machine that will coat the paper with clear shiny film so that it will be preserved. It’ll make the paper stronger so that it will stand up.”

“’Kay, Dada, but take good care of my card.”

“I will, Squirt,” Brian chuckled. “Go put your crayons away. It’s almost time for bed.”

“’Kay.”

Brian watched his daughter carefully place her crayons back into the large box where they were stored. She was almost as anal as he was about her art supplies. With a shake of his head, he took the card up to his office and placed it in his briefcase so he wouldn’t forget to take it to Kinnetik the next time he went into Pittsburgh.



*****



“Mel,” Lindsay said as she snuggled up against her life partner. They were sprawled on the sofa, Lindsay’s head lying in Mel’s lap.

“Yes,” Melanie replied, her fingers running through Lindsay’s blonde locks.

“Are you still interested in that property out near Edna’s Treasures?”

“Yes, but you didn’t seem all that interested when I told you about it.”

“Maybe I just needed to get used to the idea. I’ve been thinking about it ever since,” Lindsay said with a sigh.

“And what did you decide?” Melanie held her breath as she waited for Lindsay’s reply. They had been getting along so well since the weekend at the Plaza. She didn’t want to get into a conflict with Lindsay about the property, no matter how much she would like to have it.

“I decided that we should go look at it,” Lindsay said smugly.

“You did, huh? What made you decide that?” Melanie couldn’t help but smile.

“I know you really seemed interested in a getaway place of our own, and the more I thought about it, I can see why.”

“Oh, and why do you think I want it?” Melanie was interested to hear the answer to that question.

“I think we do need some creative outlets. I agree with you on that.”

“But…?”

“No but! I thought at first about asking Brian for a piece of land in the lane at Edna’s Treasures,” Lindsay explained. “He would give it to us cheap.”

“Yeah, he probably would,” Mel said with a scowl. She knew Lindsay couldn’t see her face. The last thing she wanted was another reason to be beholding to Brian Kinney.

“And then I realized that would be a mistake.”

“A mistake?” Melanie was puzzled.

“Yes, this should be a place for us. We should find it and make it ours, and it shouldn’t have anything to do with Brian.”

“You decided that?” Melanie asked in amazement.

“I did,” Lindsay said proudly. “Brian has done a lot for us, but we both make good money. We don’t need to be in Brian’s debt over this. We can swing it on our own, can’t we?”

“Yes, I’m sure we can,” Melanie said with a smile. “But we haven’t even looked at the place yet.”

“Then maybe it’s time we did.”

“We could call Jennifer,” Melanie suggested.

“Let’s do that tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow? It’s not that late now.”

“I know,” Lindsay giggled, “but I was thinking there might be something more interesting to do … up in our bedroom.”

“Bedroom? Oh, yes, definitely more interesting,” Melanie agreed as she leaned over and kissed Lindsay’s soft mouth.

“We can call Jennifer tomorrow.”

“Yes we can.”

“So let’s go upstairs,” Lindsay said sitting up.

“Yes, let’s.”

The two women climbed the stairs kissing softly all the way to their bed.



*****



“Brian? We didn’t expect to see you so soon?” Ted commented as he saw Brian standing at the laminating machine. Brian had been spending a lot of time at Kinnetik lately.

“You should always expect the unexpected when it comes to me,” Brian said snidely.

“And I certainly never expected to see you working the laminating machine. I nearly laminated myself to the damn thing before I got the hang of it.”

“I make it a point to be able to handle any equipment I expect my staff to handle.”

“Naturally. Uh, Bri, if I’m not being too forward, may I ask what it is you’re laminating?”

“Being forward is a plus in this business, but if you must know, it’s a birthday card that Bree made for Gus.”

“May I see it?” Brian nodded as he carefully handed the newly and perfectly laminated card to Ted.

“It’s quite unique,” Ted said.

“Yes, it is,” Brian said proudly.

“Her rainbow contains more than the traditional colors and I love the flowers at the end of it. Sunflowers and daisies?”

“Yes, Bree happens to like sunflowers and daisies.” Ted had a strange expression on his face. Brian wasn’t sure if he liked it or not. “Schmidt!” Brian growled. “What is going on in that brain of yours?”

“You know that brochure for the camp that MacLean has been working on?”

“You mean that piece of trash that he’s supposedly working on?”

“Yes.”

“What about it?”

“May I suggest using a contract artist for the job,” Ted said as he stared at Bree’s rainbow.

“Schmidt, don’t we have enough artists around here to do the job? Why do we need to contract this job out?” Brian asked impatiently.

“Did I say a contract artist? I meant to say a very, very special contract artist,” Ted said as he handed the card, rainbow side up back to Brian.

Brian looked down at the card, Bree’s rainbow with all its diversity of color shining back at him. He smiled and nodded at Ted.

“Let me consult with the prospective contract artist’s agent and I’ll get back to you,” Brian said as he took himself and the card back to his office. Ted smiled as he returned to his desk.



*****



“A cottage?”

“Yes.”

“Near Edna’s Treasures?”

“Yes!”

“Did you happen to jot down the name and number of the realtor?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, give me the information and I’ll get back to you.” Jennifer wrote down a name and number on her pad.

“Thank you, Jennifer. We really appreciate this.”

“You’re quite welcome, Melanie. I’ll speak to you soon,” Jenn said then hung up the phone. “Well, that’s interesting,” Jennifer mumbled.

“What’s interesting, sweetheart?” Seth asked as he walked into Jennifer’s office. They had a ‘date’ for lunch.

“That’s the second client this week interested in buying a cottage.”

“A cottage?”

“Yes. First an old acquaintance of Brian and Justin’s, and now Mel and Lindsay want one.”

“The girls are interested in a cottage?”

“Apparently.”

“That is interesting. I’m sure you’ll be a great help to them but it will have to wait. We have a date for lunch,” Seth said confidently.

“Yes, we do,” Jennifer said hesitantly.

“My dear?” Seth asked. He had an idea their lunch would indeed have to wait.

“Let me just make one phone call. I wouldn’t want to lose the cottage due to our stomachs.” Seth nodded then pointed to the phone. Jennifer called the number, had a brief conversation then thanked the person on the other end of the line.

“All done?” Seth asked.

“For now. The cottage is available. It’ll need some work but it’s doable.”

“No doubt another job for Anderson Construction.”

“No doubt.”

“Time for lunch?” Seth asked hopefully.

“Time for lunch,” Jennifer confirmed, giving her husband a kiss. She grabbed her purse and her husband’s hand as they walked out of the office.



*****



“Dada! Dada! Dada!” Bree shouted when she heard the familiar roar of the Corvette’s engine driving up the lane. Bree had just finished her homework and was keeping her daddy company while he was preparing dinner. Bree made a dash out the front door, her bare feet made crunching sounds on the pebbled walkway.

“Briana Victoria!” Justin shouted, holding her sneakers in his hand. Briana had acquired the habit of walking around barefoot. Not really surprising, considering who Bree’s older father was. Justin shook his head as Bree took a running leap into Brian’s arms.

“Oomph!” Brian got the wind knocked out of him. “What is with these blond Taylors, always jumping into my arms,” Brian groused as Bree kissed his cheeks. Brian returned the kisses then smiled fondly at his other blond Taylor who had his own kisses to bestow. Brian arched a brow at the sneakers in Justin’s hand. He looked down at the little feet swinging by his sides.

“She is your daughter,” Justin exclaimed.

“Hmm. Squirt, your daddy and I have something to discuss with you,” Brian said as he shifted Bree to one side so he could carry her and his briefcase into the house.



*****



“Unca Teddy wants to use my rainbow?” Bree said as she scrutinized Gus’ birthday card that she had entrusted to her Dada. After careful inspection, Bree approved. Much to Brian’s relief.

After Ted had made the suggestion to use Bree’s rainbow on the Camp Little Flower’s brochure, Brian immediately called Justin. Justin saw no problem with it as long as Bree approved.

“Yes, Squirt. Uncle Ted thinks that your rainbow will look wonderful on the camp’s brochures and posters,” Brian explained. Bree appeared to be seriously contemplating the proposal.

“What do you think, Daddy? Should I let Unca Teddy use my rainbow?”

“I think it’s a great way to start off your career as an artist,” Justin said proudly. “But only if you want to. And Dada will make sure you have a contract and get paid.”

“Can I buy ice cream with the money I make? I’ll share with Patrick and everybody!”

“I think you may make enough money for ice cream, Squirt.”

“Okay, Dada. Okay, Daddy. If you think it’s a good idea, Unca Teddy can use my rainbow. But I get to use it whenever I want ‘cause it’s my rainbow.”

“Maybe I should consult with Bobby. We may have to copyright, Bree’s rainbow,” Brian said.

“You do that, Bri. Right now I better finish cooking dinner,” Justin said as he left Bree to draw another rainbow for her Unca Teddy and Brian to consult with Bobby.



*****



“Hello,” Lindsay said into the phone as she picked it up.

“Hi, Lindsay, it’s Jennifer.”

“Got good news for us?’

“Yes,” Jennifer said with a smile. “The property you were interested in is still available. We could go have a look at it tomorrow if you’d like.”

“Let me check with Mel,” Lindsay said quickly.

Jennifer could hear some discussion going on although Lindsay had her hand over the mouthpiece of the phone.

“Jennifer,” Lindsay said after a minute. “Would it possible to go see this place after work, say around five-thirty?”

“I could arrange that. It will still be daylight at that time, even after we drive out there.”

“Then we can see the outside as well as the house?” Lindsay asked.

“We should be able to do both. I’ll contact the other real estate person and make the arrangements.”

“Will you find out the costs and … anything else we need to know.”

“I already have the asking price,” Jennifer explained. “And we can decide once we’ve looked at the place if it’s anything like what you want. There should be lots of time. The place has been on the market for five months, and I don’t think they’ve had much interest at all. It is in kind of an isolated area.”

“Sounds perfect,” Lindsay replied.

“Perfect?” Jennifer asked.

“We’re looking for a getaway place where we can be alone. Isolated would fill the bill.”

“I guess it would,” Jennifer laughed. “Meet me at my office as soon as you can after work, and we’ll drive out there together.”

“It’s a date,” Lindsay said before she cut the connection.



*****



“Hello, Leda, Jamie, come in,” Jennifer said as the two women entered her office.

“Good to see you again, Jennifer,” Leda said. Jennifer had asked them to call her by her first name. Leda was happy to oblige.

The two women sat down, and Jennifer watched Jamie slide her hand into Leda’s where it rested on the arm of her chair. This seemed to be her day for dealing with lesbian lovers.

“I’ve drawn up a preliminary offer on the cottage,” Jennifer said sliding some papers across her desk.

Leda looked them over. She noted the sum they had agreed upon clearly printed near the top of the page. “Do you think we can get it for that?” Leda asked.

“Not likely. It is pretty low, but we left room to go up a bit. It shouldn’t be much below the final price,” Jennifer stated.

“But they’ll want to negotiate.”

“They usually do,” Jennifer laughed.

“Then I’ll leave the negotiations to you. You know how high I’m willing to go. I want that house.”

“We shouldn’t have to go anywhere near your top price.”

“Do what you have to do,” Leda replied.

“Sign on the dotted line and I’ll get started. You should be the proud owner of that cottage in a day or two.”

“See that it happens,” Leda stated, as she scrawled her signature on the indicated lines.