- Text Size +

 

Changes

Chapter 15






“You ready to go?” Brian asked.

“I guess so,” Justin replied as he smoothed down his sweater. The black turtleneck sweater was skin tight and showed off Justin’s slim, but well toned figure.

“You look good enough to eat,” Brian said taking a nip at the part of Justin’s neck he could get at.

“Cut that out or we’ll never get to the gallery.”

“You’re sure you have to go?”

Justin laughed. “I promised. Lindsay and Sidney are expecting me. I want to support the young artists.”

“I guess someone has to do it,” Brian snarked. “I hope there’s something to look at besides vaginas.”

Justin slapped Brian’s chest. “Behave yourself. You know there won’t be any vaginas on display.”

“I know no such thing … and neither do you.”

“What do you mean?” Justin asked as he gathered up their clothes and stuffed them into the bag they had brought. Both he and Brian had spent the afternoon in Pittsburgh, and had come to the loft to change for the show. Bree was home with John and Bobby.

“Isn’t that Jamie woman showing some stuff?” Brian asked. “She’s a lesbian, you know.”

“Yes, I know,” Justin laughed. “Her work is in paper. It has nothing to do with vaginas.”

“How can you be so sure?” Brian asked as they locked up the loft and headed downstairs.

“I just know.”

“You better be right,” Brian griped as they got into the Corvette.

“Your delicate sensibilities will be fine,” Justin promised.

Brian gave his husband a skeptical look as they drove to the gallery.

Brian found a parking spot around the corner from the gallery and they both got out.

“You know we could get a better parking place if you would get ready earlier,” Justin informed Brian.

“I want to look my best,” Brian said with a smirk. “And if I got ready earlier, I’d have to spend more time with the emerging artists.”

“They’re nice people,” Justin said as they rounded the corner.

“You don’t even know them.”

“I’ve met Jamie, and…” Justin stopped talking and then stopped walking as he saw the group of about fifteen people standing outside the gallery. “Why are those people there?” he asked. “Why aren’t they inside the gallery?”

“How the fuck should I know? Maybe the show is really popular,” Brian offered.

“People don’t fill the gallery for emerging artists,” Justin replied knowledgeably. “Maybe they do have vaginas inside. Something has brought out all these women.”

“There he is!” a female voice shouted, and all eyes turned towards Justin and Brian.

“Brian?” Justin asked uncertainly as the women started moving in their direction.

“Stay behind me,” Brian ordered as he hurried forward clutching Justin’s hand and dragging him along. They rushed past the women, as gift bags were stuck out at them and women shoved autograph books in their faces.

Shouts of “Justin! Justin Taylor! We love your work. You’re so cute!” rang out as they hurried past.

“Fuck!” Brian gasped as they burst into the gallery. “What the fuck was that?”

Lindsay rushed over. “I’ve called for security, but they haven’t arrived yet,” she explained quickly. “I only noticed that there was getting to be so many of them a few minutes ago. They haven’t even bothered to try to come into the gallery. They were waiting for you, Justin.”

“Who are they?” Justin asked. “What do they want?”

“They want you! They want your autograph or to give you a gift or to touch you,” Lindsay explained.

“What the fuck for?” Brian demanded.

“It appears that our little Justin has quite a following on the internet,” Sidney answered as he came over to them. “I’ve gotten several requests from people to set up the official Justin Taylor fan site.” He used his fingers to make quotes around official.

“You have?” Justin asked in amazement. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I didn’t want to bother you with it. Besides, I have a section about you on the gallery site. I thought that was enough.”

“It’s plenty,” Justin replied. “I don’t get this.”

“Gay men are very popular, and apparently these ladies find you very cute,” Sidney laughed.

“I’m not cute! I’m an artist,” Justin declared indignantly.

“They think you’re both,” Sidney replied.

“Wh…what are we going to do?” Justin asked.

“You’re going to talk to the artists and answer some questions for the press that are here,” Sidney said simply. “By the time you’re ready to leave, the security will have arrived and they will escort you back to your car.”

“Thank God we put that gate up at Edna’s Treasures,” Brian said. “You haven’t revealed on your website where Justin lives, have you?” he asked Sidney as an afterthought.

“Of course not,” Sidney replied.

“But there was information on how to find the henge when you first started it,” Lindsay added as a caution.

“Fuck!” Brian reacted.

“Brian, don’t jump to conclusions. I’m sure we’ll be fine,” Justin said trying to stay calm and reassure his volatile husband.

“You fucking better be right!” Brian reacted.

“Brian, come and have a drink,” Lindsay said taking Brian’s arm. “Let Justin do what he’s here for.”

Justin moved over to greet Jamie who seemed to be patiently waiting for him. Brian allowed Lindsay to escort him over to the bar where he got a glass of wine and quickly downed it. His eyes were glued to Justin.

“How the fuck did this happen?”

“Justin is a very popular artist,” Lindsay explained.

“That kind of thing…” Brian said, gesturing to the group of women outside, “…is only supposed to be for rock stars or TV personalities.”

“And handsome young artists apparently,” Lindsay mused.

“I don’t like it,” Brian replied.

“We’ll get you out of here safely,” Lindsay tried to reassure him.

Brian followed Justin around the gallery with his eyes. He didn’t like this at all.



*****



Justin smiled as he was photographed talking to and examining the art work of some of Pittsburgh’s Emerging Artists. Richard and Morgan Connolly were present as representatives of the Times. Seeing familiar and very professional faces, both Justin, and Brian who was watching from the buffet table, were reassured. At least with the Connolly’s involved, the articles would be informative and insightful. Brian was sipping a passable wine when a tall confident woman walked over.

“I didn’t think I’d see you here tonight,” Leda commented as she accepted a glass of wine from a passing waiter or waitress, Leda wasn’t quite sure which.

“Why wouldn’t I be here?” Brian replied.

“I thought events like this would be beneath you.”

“And what would give you that impression?”

“I don’t know. It doesn’t seem like a Brian Kinney thing to do.”

“You mean supporting my partner as he meets and greets.”

“Something like that, yes.”

“Contrary to popular belief, I’ve been doing this for a very long time, when my schedule permits. Even Bree has come to her daddy’s openings, if it isn’t on a school night.”

“And this doesn’t bother you?”

“Bother me?”

“Justin, stealing the limelight.”

“Justin isn’t stealing anything. He’s earned all the limelight he gets. Although, sometimes it can be a pain in the ass,” Brian grumbled as he glanced toward the front door of the gallery. The security firm had finally showed up. The fan girls were behaving themselves and neatly lining up in hopes of catching a glimpse or perhaps an autograph of their favorite artist.

“And what brings you here?” Brian asked as he nibbled on one of Emmett’s pear and blue cheese canapés.

“Jamie invited me.”

“And so you’re here to show her your support.”

“I suppose I am,” Leda shrugged.

“You’ll get used to it,” Brian chuckled.

“You’re finding this all very amusing, aren’t you?”

“Yes, I am. Leda, the uber dyke, being the supportive wife. How does it feel?”

“I’m not sure. How does it make you feel?”

“Proud,” Brian replied without hesitation. “I am so fucking proud of him. I’ve watched him grow and become the best man he could become. He’s told the naysayers to fuck off. He fought back from the brink of death to become Justin Taylor, the renowned artist. He’s proof that with dedication, talent and heart, you can become what you’ve set out to be. And he’s still Justin, my partner, and father to a very special little girl. I’m proud to stand here and to be here when he’s ready to go home.”

“Wow. You really mean that.”

“Yes, I do. Can you do that? Do you have the balls to be the wife?”

Leda contemplated Brian’s words. She took another sip of her wine. All those years of living alone, not having anyone to celebrate life’s challenges and triumphs. Leda was ready. Jamie was sweet, loving, very intelligent, talented, and adventurous especially in the bedroom. Leda smirked; she was still a little sore and could swear she was walking bowlegged. No other woman had ever been able to do that for her. A waiter passed close with glasses of champagne. Leda quickly exchanged their empty glasses for two glasses of champagne. She handed one glass to Brian.

“To being the wife,” Leda said as a toast. Brian grinned as he clinked his glass with hers.

“To being the wife,” he agreed.

“Brian, may I borrow you for a few moments, if this lovely lady would permit,” Sidney asked as he briefly joined them. Leda nodded. Brian followed Sidney back to his office where Sidney shut the door.

“I wanted to tell you that I’m flying to London in the morning. I’ll be bringing Justin’s portfolio with me.”

“I know,” Brian sighed.

“Brian, I will not make any commitments without consulting Justin and you. And I don’t believe he’ll have to fly over until after the new year. So, no need to get your knickers in a bunch just yet. Just let the thought and possibilities settle in the back of your head for a while.” Brian nodded then turned to go back into the main gallery.

“Hey, Sunshine, you ready to blow this popsicle stand?” Brian asked as he walked over to where Justin was standing. It was growing late, too late to drive back to Edna’s Treasures. Justin had just finished being photographed with another artist who was exhibiting in the show.

“Yeah, I am, but what do we do about the people outside?”

“I’ve been thinking about that. The security showed up so I think we go out, hold our heads up high, you be your gracious gorgeous self and sign autographs. But I draw the line at signing body parts and underwear, unless they’re mine, of course,” Brian said with a straight face.

“Of course,” Justin agreed. Justin gave Brian a brilliant smile as he placed his hand in Brian’s. Hand in hand they braved the fans.



*****



“Mr. Taylor! Mr. Taylor!” Justin’s groupies called out. Flash cameras were going off repeatedly. Brian watched as gift bags of all kinds and colors were thrust out to Justin in hopes he would take the gift. The security team had put up a line of thick cushioned rope; the fans were standing behind it. Justin felt compelled to sign autographs and to accept the gifts. After a few minutes, the fans were placated and beginning to disperse.

“We love you, Justin!” a few young and giggling ladies called out.

“Thank you,” Justin said to the crowd. “I hope you all go to the show,” he added. Brian took some of the gift bags as two large security men accompanied them to the car. Brian smiled and teased the men shamelessly as Justin rolled his eyes.

“Brian, behave yourself,” Justin admonished his spouse. He knew Brian was only teasing and distracting Justin from thinking about his ‘fans’. “Just say thank you to the nice big security men and get into the car,” Justin said reasonably as he flashed his own flirtatious smile and batted his long blond lashes at the men. The men seemed to know that Brian and Justin meant nothing by their flirtatious behavior. They made sure all was secure then bid the artist and his partner a good night.

“Yes, dear,” Brian replied as he opened the car door, put the gift bags in the back of the car then got in. In a few minutes, the boys were on their way back to the loft.

“Brian, pull over a minute,” Justin requested. Brian complied then waited for an explanation. “Help me with these,” Justin asked as he reached in the back for the bags. Brian reached back to collect all the bags.

“Geez-us, there’s got to be a dozen of them, Sunshine,” Brian exclaimed. “What’s going on in that blond brain of yours?”

“Let’s go through them,” Justin said as he rummaged through some of the bags. Most of the bags contained small boxes of expensive chocolates or cookies. A few contained a small doll or trinket and one had a simple silk flower arrangement obviously inspired by Justin’s floral paintings. All the bags had cards attached or in them. “Bri, do you have a pen?”

Brian pulled out a pen from his pocket to hand to Justin. Justin scribbled some notes on each card.

“What are you doing?”

“Making a note of the gift from each bag. If there’s an address or an email address, I’ll send a note of thanks. As for the rest, I’ll post something on the gallery’s website,” Justin explained.

“But what are you going to do with all the candy and cookies? They’re making my teeth rot just looking at them.”

“Stop exaggerating. Let’s go to the Vic Grassi house; we can give them the cookies.”

“What about all that candy?”

“The clinic. We haven’t visited for a while. We can leave the candy there.”

Brian nodded as he started up the Corvette and drove to the Vic Grassi House.



*****



“I’m proud of you,” Brian said softly as he slowly dragged a soapy sponge across Justin’s torso.

They had got back to the loft tired and a little hungry. They were able to rustle up a light dinner, thanks to the forethought of one Emmett Honeycutt who always seemed to know when Brian and Justin would make an appearance in the Pitts. After, they had decided to shower before going to bed.

“Why?”

“Because you made a lot of people happy today,” Brian murmured as he gently caressed Justin’s pale smooth skin. Warm soapy water sluiced down them both.

“How?”

“Those emerging artists appreciated your time and encouragement,” Brian said as he slowly trailed the sponge up and down Justin’s legs and over his feet.

“Your fans were thrilled that you signed their books and accepted their gifts,” Brian whispered as he shampooed Justin’s hair.

“And the cookies and candy will not go to waste or to your waist where they are now,” Brian said as he bent low to kiss and nip at Justin’s belly making him giggle. Brian knelt down to pay his special attention to Justin’s hardening cock. After Justin came with a loud moan, Brian rinsed him off, wrapped Justin in a warm fluffy towel then led his sleepy sated artist to bed.

“Brian,” Justin whispered drowsily.

“Yes, Sunshine,” Brian answered softly as he pulled Justin close.

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For being there with me, for being proud of me.”

“Always, Justin, always,” Brian murmured into the blond hair.

Brian listened to the soft sleep noises Justin was making. He smiled as he gently threaded his fingers through Justin’s soft blond mane. Every once in a while, Justin would mumble incoherently just like Bree when she fell asleep in her Dada’s arms.

“Almost eighteen years, Sunshine,” Brian whispered into the air. “I met you and Gus on the same night and my life has never been the same.”

Justin shifted in his sleep, turning until his face was pillowed against Brian’s chest. Brian could feel the soft puffs of Justin’s breath against his skin.

“Eighteen years of loving, of arguments, fabulous sex and even better make-up sex. Eighteen years of compromises and some sacrifices. Eighteen years of growing and learning.”

In his sleep, Justin snaked his arm around Brian’s waist, his leg found its way in between Brian’s legs. Justin’s lips curled slightly upwards in a soft smile.

“Eighteen years, Sunshine, and I wouldn’t change any of them.”

Brian absentmindedly carded his fingers through his lover’s hair several more times before finally drifting off to sleep.



*****



“Hi.”

“Hey.”

“I’m not calling too late, am I?”

“No, I was hoping you were going to call.”

“Are you excited?”

“Yeah, in more ways than one,” Gus replied as he adjusted himself. He had been reading in bed hoping that Ray would call. The sound of Ray’s voice was doing delicious things to him.

“I mean about turning eighteen and your party,” Ray said with a snicker.

“That too,” Gus said and the boys laughed. “I’m very excited and I can’t wait to finally spend some time alone with you.”

“Phone sex not good enough?”

“Phone anything isn’t good enough.”

“We did start out this relationship a little weird, didn’t we?”

“Is this a relationship?” Gus asked.

“Gus, I know this is a little unconventional, but you were having a hard time getting over that asshole, Cole, and every time I thought Vinny and I were over, he’d come back. Talking to you helped, a lot.”

“Yeah, it helped me too. I was so stupid to fall for Cole’s shit.”

“Gus, a lot of people fell for his shit. And people who were a lot older than you. You were a kid.”

“A stupid kid, led around by my dick.”

“Enough! You’re far from stupid. And you’re no longer a kid. You’re one of my best friends and I hope you’re going to be my boyfriend. My official boyfriend, not just a telephone boyfriend.”

“A telephone boyfriend?” Gus giggled.

“Well, what do you call us then? We haven’t really dated, but we did kiss.”

“We did hang out a lot together when I was in New York, before I met the asshole. I loved sharing cupcakes with you.” The boys were silent for a while. “Ray, we can’t define this as a relationship, can we?” Gus said sadly.

“It does sound very unconventional. But that’s not a bad thing. Let’s look at this logically.”

“Okay,” Gus said as he settled back on his bed.

“We like each other a lot, right?”

“Right.”

“We make each other laugh.”

“That’s for sure.”

“And we both happen to be very good looking,” Ray boasted.

“And modest too.”

“Oh yeah, very modest. And we’re both smart.”

“True.”

“So I can’t see why this wouldn’t work.”

“Um, maybe because I’m in Pennsylvania and you’re in New York.”

“Yeah but at least we won’t get bored with each other.”

“But I might get hairy palms.”

“Sex isn’t everything.”

“No, it isn’t, and I’m kinda happy that I didn’t fuck Cole. He wasn’t worth it.”

“Gus, I’m not...”

“Doesn’t matter, you are worth it. Ray, I’m gonna ask my Pop if we can borrow the loft for the weekend.”

“Think he’ll let us?”

“I’m not sure. I fucked up big time the last time I borrowed the loft without permission, but my Dad loves you and I plan on being honest with him. And it’s not just about the sex. I want to be able to talk to you in person and maybe share a kiss.”

“Or two.”

“Definitely. Ray, I really like you,” Gus whispered.

“I really like you too,” Ray said then stifled a yawn. Gus yawned too. “It’s getting late; I guess we should hang up.”

“Yeah,” Gus agreed but neither boy made a move to hang up. “I really, really like you.”

“Me too. I can’t wait to show you how much.”

“Me too.” The boys sighed. “Night, Ray.”

“Night, Gus.” Reluctantly the boys hung up their phones.