- Text Size +

 

Changes

Chapter 18





“Ready for your guests to arrive?” Lindsay asked her son. She straightened Gus’ tie and brushed imaginary hair off his shoulders.

“I’m good, Mom.”

“You … you look so grown up,” Lindsay said with tears in her eyes, as she finally realized that her son was now a man, a gay man, who was planning an evening alone with his boyfriend.

“I am a grown up,” Gus replied gently. “It’s time for me to be a man.”

“I know,” Lindsay sniffed, “but you’re still my little boy.”

“I guess I’ll always be your little boy,” Gus laughed before giving Lindsay a warm hug.

“Got one of those for me?” Melanie asked as she joined them.

“Sure, Mama,” Gus said hugging his other mother.

“I’ll take one of those too,” Ray said as he stepped closer to Gus.

Gus pulled Ray against him and whispered in his ear, “Later.”

Ray’s happy grin radiated around the large ballroom.

“Enough, you two,” Emmett said tapping Gus on the shoulder. “I think your guests are starting to arrive. You should greet them at the door.”

Gus released Ray, somewhat reluctantly, and moved over to say hello to his grandmother Joan and Danny Devore who had just arrived.

“Gus, my boy,” Danny began, shaking Gus’ hand. “You look like a fine young man tonight. That suit is very becoming.”

“Thanks,” Gus replied rather embarrassed to have his clothing analyzed.

“You do look very handsome, Gus,” Joan agreed. “I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful party tonight.”

“Thanks, grandma,” Gus said kissing her cheek. Joan beamed at him.

“Cards and gifts can be placed over here,” Emmett said directing them towards a table just inside the door. “And the bar is open.”

Danny and Joan made their way over to the bar as Justin, Brian and Bree entered the ballroom.

“Gus!” Bree cried as she raced over to her brother and threw herself into his arms.

“Hey, short stuff,” Gus laughed as he hugged her tight. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too,” Bree replied, kissing all over Gus’ face. “I love you.”

“I love you right back,” Gus declared. He set Bree down as his father and Justin approached.

“She got away on us,” Brian said with a smirk.

“It’s impossible to stop her when she wants something,” Gus laughed. “Hi, Pop, Justin.”

“Hey, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he gave his son a hug. “I guess I should stop calling you that,” he added as an afterthought. “You’re not a boy anymore. You’re a man.”

“I think I’ll always be your Sonny Boy, Pop. You can call me that whenever you like, except of course at Babylon. You know?”

“I know,” Brian smirked. “That’s a deal. Happy birthday, Gus.”

“And happy birthday from me too,” Justin said giving Gus a hug.

“Me too,” Bree giggled.

“Have a good party, Sonny Boy,” Brian said. He carried his gift bag over to the table and set it down there. He turned to watch Gus greet more of the family as they came in. Some carried gifts, others cards, all brought best wishes. It wasn’t long until everyone was there and they sat down for dinner.

Emmett had outdone himself with the menu, earning rave reviews from all assembled, as course after course appeared, and then promptly disappeared into hungry mouths.

When the main course was almost over, Brian rose to make a toast to his son on his eighteenth birthday. Everyone heartily toasted with him. Brian gave a nod to Bree who slid off her chair and ran over to the gift table. She retrieved the gift bag that Brian had carried in. She walked sedately over to her brother.

“Gus, Dada said I should give you this first. It’s from all the people on the card.”

“Thanks, short stuff,” Gus said taking the bag from her. He pulled out the card first. “It’s one of your special cards, Bree. Thank you for making it for me.”

Bree smiled and said,” You’re welcome.”

Gus read the happy birthday wish, and then the names of all the people who had signed it. That list included Gus’ father, his mothers, Justin, his Grandma Joan and Bree, Debbie and Carl and Seth and Jennifer. “Thank you all,” Gus said as he reached into the bag for the gift. He pulled out something wrapped in tissue paper and quickly unwrapped it. He frowned as he looked at what was revealed.

Bree began, “Dada said to tell you that this half car is half of the car that you will receive on your next birfday. Everybody con-trib-you-ted,” she pronounced carefully. “It’s half a Fur-Harry, but Dada said you should expect a more practical car next year. He also said it’s okay to dream about Fur-Harry’s until you get your own car. What’s a Fur-Harry? Is it like my fur Bunny?”

Everyone laughed including Gus. “Thanks, I think,” he said and leaned down to give Bree a kiss.

“We’ve got half the cost of a good car in a special account for you. You’ll get the other half next year,” Brian explained.

“Thanks, Pop, and everyone else who contributed. I would have liked the car now, but I can wait,” he said graciously. “I appreciate that all of you did this. I’m sure I’ll get a great car next year, and I can dream about Fur-Harry’s in the meantime.”

Another round of laughter ensued as Gus started opening the rest of his gifts one by one.



*****



“John, can we talk to you for a minute?” Melanie asked as she and Lindsay cornered the man near the bar. Since the guys were staying in the hotel, they felt free to indulge just a little.

“Sure,” John said as he sipped his beer.

“We decided to take the cottage. The owners dropped the price significantly, especially after an independent building inspector came in and did his inspection. The cottage needs work but you already know that,” Mel explained.

John nodded. “I can look over the report for you and clarify anything if you have questions,” he offered.

“Thank you but we’d also like to hire your company to do the repairs,” Lindsay continued. “We know your work and we trust your judgment.”

“We also know that you’d never rip us off,” Mel felt compelled to say.

“When do you want me to begin?”

“As soon as possible. We’re arranging the loan through the bank this week. I can fax a copy of the inspector’s report to you on Monday,” Mel added.

“That’ll be fine. And if you have any special ideas send them to me,” John instructed.

“I have a few,” Lindsay said meekly, as she pulled a piece of paper from her purse and handed it to John.

John carefully unfolded the paper, his eyes lit up as he scanned it. “This is beautiful,” he said with admiration.

“You think so?” Lindsay asked with some disbelief in her voice. “It’s just some thoughts I had. Mel really wants a nice quiet room where she can sit and write, and I’d love a studio. Something like your sun porch but not that big. Your porch seems to go on forever,” Lindsay said with a smile.

“Yes, sometimes I think it stretches all the way back to Pittsburgh,” John said as he flashed his most fetching Kinney smile. Lindsay’s heart nearly skipped a beat; John looked so much like Brian. They had the same smile.

“Lindsay, I’d hire you in an instant as an interior designer, if you didn’t already have a career at the gallery. This is wonderful,” John gushed as he gazed at the sketch that Lindsay had drawn of her vision of the cottage. “All I need is to make this to scale.”

“It’s really okay?”

“Yes, it is. Once I get the report I can incorporate the repairs and your vision into the plans.”

“Thank you!” Lindsay said with her prettiest smile.

“Yeah, thank you,” Mel added as she grabbed Lindsay’s elbow to lead her back to their table.

“What are you up to, brother dearest,” Brian snarked as he sidled up to the bar. “Beam, neat,” he ordered as he casually cruised the bartender who was very good looking and very untouchable in Brian’s eyes. John noticed the eye action.

“Nothing, however, I can’t say the same for you.”

“Old habits,” Brian snarked. The bartender was practically salivating as the handsome Kinney men leaned up against his bar. “What did the munchers want?”

“They want me to renovate their cottage,” John said smoothly. Brian nearly choked on his drink.

“Their cottage?” Brian squeaked.

John grinned.



*****



At the appointed time the lights were dimmed as Emmett rolled in a huge multi-layered birthday cake. Eighteen candles plus one for good luck were ablaze.

The family rose from their seats to sing ‘Happy Birthday’. When they finished, Gus picked up the knife to make the first slice into his cake. A photographer circulated to take pictures of the family, Gus, his proud parents (all four of them) and his cake.

“Pop?” Gus called out as he stepped up to cut into his cake.

“Yes, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he stood beside his son.

“Does this mean what I think it means?” Gus read the inscription on his cake.

“Yes.”

Gus gave his dad a big hug.

Happy Birthday Gus Peterson-Marcus-Kinney!

Gus was so excited about his name that he nearly forgot about the melting candles that were about to ruin the icing on his cake. He ran around the room hugging and kissing everyone present and stating, “I’m officially a Kinney!”

“Hey, Kinney,” Brian’s growl boomed across the room at his son. Gus stopped to look at his father. Brian’s brow was arched. “You wanna blow out the candles. Some of us want some cake,” Brian snarked.

Gus blushed a little then giggled as did the rest of the family. He scooted quickly to the cake to blow out his candles before they became a melted waxy mess.

The whole family cheered as Gus cut the first slice. Emmett’s minions took over slicing then serving the cake.

“Great party!”

“Happy Birthday!”

“I love you, kiddo,” were just a few of the congratulatory remarks said to Gus as the party wound down and the guests were getting ready to go home. In spite of the early start to the party, it seemed to go on forever. The family was very happy and proud to share this moment with their first grandchild.

Brian was seen huddling with Emmett in a corner deep in conversation then he walked over to where Gus and Ray were sitting. Grabbing his son’s wrist to confirm what Brian’s internal clock already knew, Brian leaned down low to whisper into his son’s ear.
“Time for Babylon, Sonny Boy. You ready for this?”

“Yeah, Pop, I think I am,” Gus whispered his reply. Brian ruffled his son’s hair giving Gus that just fucked look that Brian had perfected many years ago.

“Then get going, and play safe,” Brian said as he escorted the boys out of the Plaza and to a waiting limo. Now it was Gus’ turn to raise that Kinney eyebrow. “The car will take you to Babylon and then back to the loft. Ray’s stuff is in the back. I want you boys to have fun but remember what I said.”

“We will, Pop, and thank you,” Gus said with a brilliant smile.

“Thank you,” Ray said coyly as the boys piled into the back of the roomy car. Brian shut the car door then had some words with the driver who nodded his understanding. The driver was entrusted with important cargo and knew he had to be extra careful. Brian waited as the car drove off.

“Are we going too?” Justin said as he appeared at Brian’s side.

“How’d you know?” Brian asked as he nodded his affirmation to Justin.

“Because I know you. And I know the family would want it this way. We can go through the service entrance so the boys won’t see us spying on them.”

“We’re not spying.”

“Not exactly but we are keeping an eye on them, aren’t we?”

“At least for a little while. I don’t want all those fags sniffing around my son,” Brian growled.

“They wouldn’t dare,” Justin said with a smile.

“Besides, Gus is different. He has nothing to prove.”

“You didn’t either.”

“Yeah, I did,” Brian said with a sad sigh. Justin dropped the subject, not wanting to push, or risk building up any walls that Brian over the years had brought down. “Where’s the Squirt?”

“With John and Bobby. She and Patrick were tired.”

“It was a long night.”

“But a good one.”

Brian nodded. “Let’s go,” he said as another limo drove up. Justin gave his spouse a confused look. “I may need another drink or two to get through the rest of this night. I don’t want to hear any of your PSA’s.”

“Yes, dear,” Justin replied as they too piled into the back of the car. Brian grabbed Justin’s hand then snaked it around his waist to draw Justin in close. Brian kissed his spouse deeply.

“What was that for?” Justin asked when he was finally allowed to come up for air.

“Because,” was Brian’s only reply.

“Oh, because,” Justin repeated knowingly. No other words were needed or spoken until they arrived at the club.



*****



The thumpa-thumpa music was loud but compelling as the boys reached Babylon. They shed their suit jackets and ties to make themselves more comfortable and to fit in better with the crowd. The line was wrapped around the block. Most of gay Pittsburgh was there celebrating life or trying to lose themselves in the crowd and the music.

“Do we have to wait in this line?” Ray asked, a bit overwhelmed.

“I don’t think so,” Gus said hesitantly as he approached the main door with Ray in tow. A huge bear of a man nodded at the young Kinney and Ray then cocked his head toward the door. As the boys walked through the portal with shaky but clasped hands, the bouncer rumbled a few words into his mike. All of Babylon was aware that the new king was making his debut.

“I don’t remember it being this loud!” Ray said above the noise as they made their way inside. Ray tightened his hold on Gus’ hand. Gus seemed to know where he wanted to go.

“Wow!” Gus exclaimed mainly to himself, as he looked over the rail of the catwalk. The dance floor was already filled, mainly with men all grinding themselves against their partners, swaying, jumping and dancing to the pounding beat of the music. Gus could almost smell the testosterone in the air. “Come on,” Gus said to Ray as he tugged on Ray’s hand. The boys made their way through the crowd and down the stairs to the dance floor. Having eyes for no one other than each other, the boys were unaware of the admiring looks they were garnering. The bouncers and staff were all keeping a sharp lookout for the next generation of Kinney.

“You can dance, can’t you?” Ray said with a twinkle in his eyes as he pulled Gus close to him. Their only limited dance experience together was at the NY GLC and they had kept it very conservative. Gus looked down his nose into the pools of dark chocolate brown. He smiled his best Kinney smile as he nodded then scrunched down just a little to align his body with Ray’s. The boys began to sway to their own music.

“He looks like you,” Justin commented. He and Brian were up in the glass enclosed office. With the lights off, they could see out onto the dance floor but no one could see in.

“He doesn’t dance like me,” Brian snarked.

“No one dances like you,” Justin said with a smirk.

“I did all right.”

“Yeah, you did,” Justin said with a husky quality to his voice.

Justin stood on tiptoe to get into Brian’s face to give him a toe curling kiss. Adjusting the speakers, Justin allowed the sounds of the thumpa-thumpa music to filter into the office. Justin snaked his hands around Brian’s waist as he began to sway his hips to the music. Brian scrunched down so he could grind himself into Justin.

Brian let Justin and the music transport him back to a different time as they danced.



*****



“Water, please,” Ray asked politely as the boys made their way to the bar. They had danced several dances together and were very thirsty. The bartender smiled admiringly at the handsome young man as he handed Ray a bottle of water. “Thank you,” Ray said as he twisted off the top and took a good long drink.

Gus stared at Ray’s throat as he watched the muscles in his neck work. “Water,” Gus asked as he shook himself out of his reverie. “Thank you,” he said as he was offered his own bottle. Gus downed the cool liquid in several gulps.

As they stood at the bar, their eyes wandered around.

“So many men,” Ray said with a sigh, leaning close to Gus so he could be heard.

“So little time,” Gus retorted, and they both laughed. That was the best aspect of their friendship, their ability to make the other laugh. The boys hugged and kissed, reveling in the freedom and protection that Babylon provided them. At that moment they were free to express themselves as did all the men and women that frequented the club.

Their exploring eyes finally landed on the entrance to the back room. Brian in his twisted sense of humor had had the door painted a deep orange, with the cryptic words ‘the new blue’ written across the top in azure blue. Only Brian and Justin knew the true meaning behind those words, although Gus as a Kinnetik intern had learned what they meant.

“Do you want to go back there? Check things out?” Gus asked.

“No, I can wait to try sex in public for a while. We did promise your dad we wouldn’t. Besides, I think I’d rather be with you somewhere quiet and clean.”

“Considering my dad’s feelings about cleanliness, I’m sure he has the cum chipped off the walls and floor on a regular basis.”

“Ewww, that’s gross!” Ray said as they laughed again then got serious.

“Dance with me again,” Gus said in a low and sexy voice as he offered his hand. Gus’ eyes darkened to a deep hunter green with arousal. Ray nodded his consent as he placed his hand in Gus’.

The boys sauntered onto the dance floor, where a slow dance with a slightly Latin beat was playing. Gus and Ray held each other close as they kissed and danced their last dance of the night.

“Phew, I thought for a minute they were going to go in there,” Justin said.

“I didn’t. Gus made a promise. He keeps his promises,” Brian said proudly.

“Another Kinney tradition?”

“It’s not a bad one.”

“No, it’s not.” Justin wrapped his arms around his spouse then buried his head in Brian’s chest.

“Ready to go, Sunshine, it’s way past our bedtime,” Brian commented with a smirk.

“I’m always ready to go with you, Bri,” Justin said, giving Brian his sunniest smile. They were just about to leave the office when the music ended.

“Look.” Brian pointed toward the dance floor.

Gus and Ray had finished their dance and were walking toward the stairs. Brian and Justin watched as the boys walked along the catwalk then out to the door.

The lovers went home.



*****



With shaking fingers, Gus rolled back the heavy loft door. He punched in the code to the alarm, half expecting the room to be ablaze with scented candles. Gus was surprised that the only light shining, was the blue light over the bed. Gus locked up as Ray put down his bag to look around.

“I wonder what it would be like to live here,” Ray said in amazement.

“My dad and Justin lived here for a long time. I remember visiting as a kid.”

“I love all this space.”

“Me too,” Gus said softly as he moved closer to Ray. Ray reached up to give Gus a kiss. The kiss deepened. “Let’s go to bed,” Gus whispered. Ray nodded slowly.



*****



A trail of clothes, the soft sounds of lips meeting in kisses, hands slowly exploring smooth skin. Lovers, making love until completion. A tall hazel-eyed brunet hugged his sleeping lover close as he too went to sleep thinking how things have changed and how much they’ve stayed the same.

-end-

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Changes also liked 590 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is Blasts From the Past. The next story in the series is Cottages.