- Text Size +

 

Changes

Chapter 7





The following day Brian and Justin drove the kids to school and then drove to Pittsburgh. Expecting a long day, Aunt Rachel was asked to pick up the kids and keep them until John or Bobby came home.

Brian was not in the best of moods. He had put off this final meeting with Brandon too many times. Brian had never used avoidance in the past and was getting pissed at himself for doing it now. He was determined to get through the day without biting anyone’s head off. Well, maybe Teddy’s, but he was used to it.

Justin was required at the gallery. In a couple of weeks the Emerging Artists show would debut. Sidney requested Justin’s presence during the ‘dry run’ of the show. Sidney liked to gather the ‘emerging artists’ together for their own version of the meet and greet. Justin enjoyed being there to answer any questions and to discuss the different projects on display. Justin’s own ‘first’ pieces were on permanent display at the gallery and had been for many years. But that didn’t stop Justin from being awed by the experience, and forever grateful for his own good fortune.

“What time do you think your meeting will be finished?” Justin asked Brian as they pulled up in front of the gallery. Brian took off his sunglasses, tossing them on the dashboard.

“I’m hoping by one,” Brian replied with a pitiful sigh.

Ignoring the dramatics, Justin continued, “Then why don’t I come over when I’m done here and we can go to the diner for lunch. I haven’t seen Lacy in a while and she’s going to have a couple of her posters in the show.”

“I thought all the artists were meeting today?”

“She couldn’t get away, Bri. She runs the place, remember?”

“Another little rag-a-muffin ex-hustler grows up and does good,” Brian said with a lopsided grin.

“With a lot of help from you,” Justin said.

“And you,” Brian countered.

“And Hunter.”

“Especially Hunter. Our own Master of Social Work,” Brian chuckled.

“Go! Be off with you! You’re getting silly and it isn’t even ten in the morning,” Justin commanded, as he shooed away his spouse, but not before Brian reached out through the window to grab Justin back for a kiss. “I love you too,” Justin whispered as he gently caressed Brian’s face. Brian smirked as he then reached for his sunglasses.

“Later, Sunshine,” Brian quipped as he pulled the Jeep back out into the street.



*****



“Hey, Sidney!” Justin called out, greeting his manager and mentor with a warm smile.

“Justin, my boy, so good of you to come. Let me introduce you to some of Pittsburgh’s budding stars.” As Sidney and Justin were talking to the artists, Jamie was able to get Lindsay aside.

“Ms. Peterson, I just wanted to thank you again for getting me into this show,” Jamie said sincerely.

“Jamie, your unique talent got you into this show. And I truly admire your devotion to your students. I have many contacts at PIFA and they all say wonderful things about you. And it’s Lindsay.”

Jamie blushed. “I hope I can live up to your expectations.”

“It’s not mine you have to live up to.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Jamie, I used to love to paint and draw but somehow I could never live up to my own expectations. If the end product wasn’t perfect, I never allowed anyone to see it.”

“But doesn’t that defeat the purpose of art? The product, as you call it, is an expression of how we feel at the time. We’re human, with human desires, faults and foibles. It’s our ability to translate those feelings into something tangible, share them and hopefully touch someone with them and perhaps make an impact, that’s what makes the piece perfect. Not that the lines are straight or the flowers are symmetrical. I teach my students that the perfection lies in the creation and in taking the chance to create, knowing all along that the only one who may ever like the finished project might be its creator.”

“Maybe that’s why I enjoy promoting artists rather than being one. But this day is not about me. Go mingle with the other artists.”

“Thank you, Lindsay.”

Lindsay smiled as Jamie wandered toward the group of young hopefuls who all wanted to chat with Justin about his experiences.

“Were we ever that young?” Sidney asked Lindsay.

“I’m not sure,” she responded wistfully.

“Lindsay, I’ve seen your work. There’s no reason why we can’t display some of your pieces.”

Lindsay gave her friend and boss a kiss on the cheek. “Maybe one day, Sidney, I’ll grow a set of balls and take the chance. For now, I’m very satisfied with being on this end of things.”

“Are you sure, my dear?”

“I am, Sid, I promise. I have other priorities at the moment.”

“I understand, and you take all the time you need to work on them. Under your leadership, this gallery is solid. We can afford to have you cut back a little.”

“Thank you,” Lindsay said with a little hitch in her voice. Sidney gave her a little hug.

“Hellooo!” They heard a familiar voice ring across the gallery. Sidney gave Lindsay a poignant look.

“That starving artist bit is so overrated,” Lindsay quipped. Sidney laughed as Emmett with minions in tow set up a small buffet table for brunch to feed the artists.

“Carry on!” Sidney ordered with a royal wave. And Lindsay did just that.



*****



“So are you ready to play ball?” Brandon asked Brian as they sat at the small conference table in Brian’s old office.

“Unless we’re talking soccer, let’s stick to business,” Brian said sternly.

“Fine. Your business partner and CFO both agree that my company’s proposal is sound. It’s more than sound. We can offer you a seamless link to your other branches, virus protection and security on an individual branch level and company-wide. We handle the big stuff while working with your IT people who will handle the small stuff and be our liaisons. All we need is for you to sign on the dotted line.”

Brian scowled. He knew the proposal was a good one. Ted and Cynthia were both wearing the same expression. It was the ‘shit or get off the pot’ look. Brian sighed then took the pen Ted waved in front of his face. Brian signed the contract then handed the pen back to Ted. Ted and Cynthia nodded as Ted gathered up the papers to make the appropriate copies. They left Brian alone with Brandon.

Being the consummate host, Brian offered Brandon coffee.

“Please,” Brandon said with some reserve in his voice. He did not want to piss off his host. Brian brought over a tray with coffee, cups and the fixings to the table.

“Help yourself,” Brian said indicating the milk and sugar as he poured coffee into Brandon’s cup.

“Thank you,” Brandon said softly.

“May I ask you something?” Brian ventured. Brandon nodded. “You’re looking better.”

“Thank you, again. I’ve joined a local gym, and Ted has sponsored me at the local 12-step.”

“And the, uh...,” Brian stammered, looking up at the top of Brandon’s head. It appeared that his hair was growing back.

“Better living through chemicals,” Brandon snarked. “I have a good dermatologist and counselor. Most of my hair loss was due to stress and poor nutrition. I’ve since corrected those problems,” Brandon said as he sipped his coffee.

“You seeing anyone?” Brian asked, surprising himself that he did in fact, ask.

“You offering?” Brandon flashed his confident and sexy smile.

“No.”

“Too bad.”

“Why do you do that? We were having a … a not bad conversation and then you ruin it with that shit.”

“Old habits die hard.”

“Fuck old habits.”

“I’d rather fu...shit. I’m sorry. I almost did it again.”

“Then cut the shit out before I rip up the fucking contract.”

“I will,” Brandon said lifting his hands in surrender. Brian freshened up Brandon’s coffee. “Are you really happy leading the ‘married’ life?” Brandon asked making quote marks in the air.

“Yes, I am.”

“I never pegged you for the monogamous, happily ever after type.”

“Things change, people change, priorities change.”

“That’s a lot of change.”

“And it didn’t happen overnight. But I can’t beat the results. I have a beautiful, smart and talented partner in my life and in my bed every night. I have two great children that can’t make me any prouder than I already am. I have a wonderful family, although if you repeat that I will have to kill you. And I have a great business.”

“Businesses. I’ve checked. And I won’t even venture to try and figure out your net worth.”

“I’ve been lucky.”

“No, you’ve been smart. Where I have made some god-awful mistakes.”

“Learn from them and move on. I meant what I said; you are looking better in the short time you’ve been back in the Pitts. You look more fit. I’m sure there are a lot of men who can see your potential.”

“I’m not sure if I’m ready for that,” Brandon murmured and looked a bit forlorn.

“When you’re ready, let me know. Allow me to introduce you to a better class of trick than what you’re used to.”

“I once lost a bet to a better class of trick. I lost in more ways than one,” Brandon said as he gazed into Brian’s eyes. He saw a glimmer of something in them that he had never hoped to see, respect. Brian placed his hand over Brandon’s in support.

And that’s when Justin walked in, “Hey, Bri, are you ready for lun....”



*****



Melanie walked into the restaurant where Leda had arranged that they would meet. She saw her old flame sitting at a table and made her way over to her.

“Glad you could meet me today, Mel,” Leda said.

“I’m glad you’re glad, but I don’t think Lindsay would be too pleased if she knew we were together,” Melanie replied as she sat down.

“Then let’s not tell her,” Leda joked.

“It’s not funny, Leedz. Lindsay and I…” Melanie let her voice trail off.

“Are things still rocky?”

“It seems like they’re always rocky. Can we just order and get this over with?”

“Sure.”

They both perused the menus and made their selections when the waitress arrived.

“Maybe I should have invited Lindsay for lunch too,” Leda suggested.

“What the hell for?” Melanie demanded. “So we can have a public display of animosity. That would truly make my day. No thank you!”

“I asked you here today to tell you my news. It should make Lindsay happy too.”

“And what might that be?”

“Jamie Cunningham and I are getting kind of serious about each other,” Leda said with a big smile.

“No shit! How…?”

“We’ve been seeing each other whenever we get a chance. I really like her. Not since you and I…”

“She might be the one,” Melanie supplied.

“Maybe, and I intend to find out,” Leda said forcefully. “I think I might finally be ready to settle down.”

Melanie sighed. “I guess that’s good.”

“What the fuck does that mean?” Leda demanded.

The waitress gave Leda an admonishing look for her choice of language, before she set down their meals and hurried away.

“You’re scaring the help,” Melanie laughed.

“It’s not funny,” Leda hissed. “What did you mean by that crack?”

“It wasn’t a crack,” Melanie replied. “I was thinking about you settling down and all the trouble Lindsay and I have had. I don’t wish that on anyone, including you.”

“And what about the good times you and Lindsay have had? I guess you don’t want to wish that on me either.”

Melanie looked stunned at Leda’s comment. “Good times?”

“I seem to remember you telling me how much you loved living with Lindsay and having Gus. And now you have JR, you have a great career and a successful wife. I would think you would be counting your blessings.”

“You think I have a … great life?”

“It sure looks like it from where I’m standing. I’d love to have years together with Jamie. I think we’re good for each other.”

“I … I’m sorry if I sounded ungrateful for what I have. I do wish you and Jamie well.”

“Thank you,” Leda replied picking up her sandwich.

“Maybe I do need to re-examine my life,” Melanie said thoughtfully.

“It never hurts,” Leda said with a smile for her old friend. She bit into her sandwich.



*****



“Justin, Justin!” Brian called as he hurried through the foyer of Kinnetik. Justin was already going out the door. “Justin!”

“What the fuck was that in there?” Justin asked wheeling around and looking at his husband for the first time since he had interrupted Brian and Brandon.

“What was what?” Brian asked. “Brandon and I were having a business meeting. I told you I was meeting with him.”

“Oh, pardon me! How could I have mistaken that business meeting you were involved in for something else? I didn’t realize your business meetings involved holding hands with business associates. I guess my concept of business has been completely incorrect all these years. Stupid me!” Justin wheeled around and stomped down the alley that led to Liberty Avenue.

“Justin, wait!”

“What for? So you can tell me once again that you’re flying off to Ibiza with Brandon Tierney? I don’t give a fuck. Head for the fucking airport right now! What are you waiting for? Don’t let me slow you down.”

“Fuck, Justin! Stop, please,” Brian begged as he followed Justin out onto Liberty Avenue. “Nothing was going on. It was just a business meeting.”

Justin snorted and kept on going.

“Justin, this is ridiculous. You know Brandon means nothing to me,” Brian pleaded wondering how he could convince Justin of just that.

“Yeah, right! That’s why you were holding his fucking hand.”

“If you’d stop for a minute, I could explain.”

“Oh I can hardly wait for your explanation of this one!” Justin said, stopping so abruptly that Brian almost ran into him. “Explain away. I’m all ears.” He turned to face Brian, crossing his arms on his chest and glaring at his husband.

“Um…” Brian said, trying to decide what he might say that would mollify Justin.

“Um? Um! That’s a fucking great explanation, Brian! I would have thought you could do slightly better than that, since you’re so fucking full of shit.”

“Give me a fucking chance.”

“You have two minutes,” Justin stated glancing at his watch.

“What?” Brian asked with a frown, remembering how he had pulled the same time gambit on Brandon.

“I said you have two minutes to explain yourself, and then I cease to care. You’ve used up twenty seconds of that time.”

“Fuck! Brandon’s been trying to get his life together. He’s lost some weight, has been working out and is going to Twelve Step. I was trying to be encouraging to him. I don’t like to see any homo make a fucking mess of his life. Heteros, maybe, but gay people…” Brian shook his head.

Justin frowned and stared at his husband. “What the fuck was the hand stuff then?”

“I squeezed Brandon’s hand to give him my support,” Brian said quickly.

“And when did you get all touchy-feely with someone you say you detest?” Justin looked skeptically at Brian.

“I … I really talked to Brandon for the first time today. He’s not such a bad guy. I kind of felt sorry for him.”

“You … felt sorry … for Brandon?” Justin asked, his voice softening.

“Yeah, just a bit.”

Justin studied Brian’s embarrassed face and saw the truth of his words. “So, you were trying to help Brandon?” Justin asked gently.

“Yeah, dumb move, right?” Brian made that funny little grin that said he was totally out of his element.

“Not so dumb,” Justin said in little more than a whisper.

“Am I forgiven?” Brian asked hopefully, looking intently at Justin.

“Maybe, but I better not hear anymore about fucking Ibiza.”

“I promise,” Brian said solemnly. “Unless it’s to take you there.”

“That might be all right,” Justin said with a grin.

“Good, then we’re finished being jealous.”

“We’re finished,” Justin laughed, knowing that it was only he who had been jealous.

“Can we go to the diner and get some lunch. I think I found my appetite.”

Justin laughed again. “Yeah, I’ll spring for a turkey sandwich with no mayo.”

“That’s my hubby,” Brian teased.

“Asshole!” Justin laughed, as Brian threw his arm over Justin’s shoulder and they headed for the diner.