- Text Size +

 

Mouse and Cat

Part 12

 


The next day Justin had some classes but he met his mother for lunch. She had been shopping and was enjoying her time in a different city than Boston. She tried not to pry into the Brian/Justin relationship but she still had some major misgivings about it. From things Daphne had said or rather had not said the night before, Jennifer had realized that Brian could be quite manipulative and ruthless when he wanted to be. He had quite the reputation for that, and for being promiscuous. She also wondered about the strength of the commitment Brian had made to her son. She did find out that Justin had been working like a dog to catch up on his schoolwork before she got there. He had apparently been spending too much time on other things, most likely Brian. All these things troubled her.

She had invited Justin for dinner at his own apartment thinking he might like one of her home cooked specialties. Daphne was going out with a girlfriend and Brian had a business meeting, so it would be just the two of them. When Justin arrived after school the apartment smelled wonderful.

"Macaroni and cheese?" Justin asked hopefully.

"Only the best comfort foods for my darling son," Jennifer laughed.

"I can hardly wait."

"It should be ready in about a half hour. Shall we have a glass of wine while we wait?"

"I believe we shall," Justin chuckled.

They sat on the couch and talked about things back home. Justin had to admit he missed the B and B, and one or two other people in Cape Cod. But he made sure to tell Jennifer that he had really settled in here and was happy.

As they ate their dinner and had some more wine, Jennifer began to probe a little deeper. She started with his schoolwork. "How are you finding work, the comic and Brian, in terms of getting your essays and things done for school?"

Justin frowned. He thought they had already covered this. "I'm pretty well caught up," Justin said. He didn't want to lie to his mother and that was true … now.

"But you weren't until I called," Jennifer stated.

'Fucking Daphne,' Justin thought. "I got a little behind, but it's better now."

"I'm glad it is but what's going to happen after I go home?"

"Nothing's going to happen. I'll keep up."

"What does Brian say about that?"

"He's good with it."

"He is?" Jennifer asked skeptically.

"Mom, I'm doing fine with everything," Justin said trying to reassure her.

"Maybe you should stop working at the diner. I can give you a bigger allowance every month."

"I like working at the diner. I like making my own money. It's time I stopped living off you."

"Justin, you're still in school. I don't mind."

"But I do."

"And what if Brian decides that you need to spend more time with him?"

"This is really about Brian, isn't it? You don't really approve of him," Justin accused.

"I have heard some unsettling things about him since I've been here," Jennifer admitted. "Even Debbie didn't have anything good to say about him."

"His friends are kind of like that," Justin tried to explain. "They tend to talk about the negative where Brian is concerned."

"Some friends!"

"Mom!"

"I'm sorry, Justin, but I'm worried about you."

"I think it's time I went home," Justin said standing and starting to clear the table.

"I thought this was your home."

"Home is where Brian is."

"Justin!"

"I'm going, Mom, before we get into a fight." And he was out the door before she could protest.

Once he got to his car, Justin was at a loss for what to do. He wanted to go to the loft and make love with Brian but Brian was out with a client. He didn't want to go to the diner because Debbie would give him the third degree. He could go to the library, but he didn't feel at all like studying. Finally he pulled out his cell phone and hit Brian's number. It rang twice before Brian picked up.

"I need you," Justin gulped.

"What's wrong?"

"My mother."

"I guess dinner didn't go so well."

"Awful."

"I can be at the loft in about … an hour."

"I'll be there."

"Will you be all right until then?"

"I guess," Justin said with a hitch in his voice.

"Go to the diner. Deb will look after you. Tell her all about it. Maybe she can help."

"Okay," Justin said softly. "Hurry."

The line went dead and Justin brushed at his watery eyes. He might as well go to the diner. He could have a big, rich milkshake and then he might feel a little better. Maybe Debbie wouldn't be there.

No such luck! As soon as Justin stepped through the door he heard Debbie bellow at him. He quickly ordered his milkshake and noted regretfully that the dinner rush must be over. There were only a couple of customers. That meant Debbie would have plenty of time to talk to him. He sighed heavily.

In a minute or less Debbie slapped his milkshake down in front of him and slid into the seat across from him. Justin drank some of his shake staring into the glass waiting for the inquisition to begin. When nothing happened he looked up. Debbie sat watching him with a look of compassion on her face.

"What?" Justin asked.

"You look upset, and you usually only go for milkshakes when something's bothering you," she said softly.

"I do?" Justin frowned. He didn't think he was that transparent. "Aren't you going to ask what's wrong?"

Debbie shook her head. "I was waiting to see if you wanted to talk. If you don't, I'll get lost."

"Thanks, Deb. I'm not sure what I want to do."

"Is it Brian?"

"No, my mother. I just had a fight with her."

"You and your mother fight?" Debbie asked, her mouth falling open in amazement.

"Jesus, Deb, we're human, you know."

"Sorry. Your mother seems so … perfect."

"I no, but sometimes she gets on my nerves."

"About?" Debbie held out her hand palm up waiting for Justin to fill in the blank. When Justin didn't say anything, Debbie supplied the most obvious answer. "Brian."

"Yeah," Justin said in a defeated way. "Everybody always blames Brian."

Debbie thought back to some of the things she had said to Jennifer. Maybe she had given the wrong impression.

"I have to go," Justin said putting some money on the table. "Brian should be back at the loft by now."

Debbie watched Justin walk out the door. Maybe she needed to do something about this turn of events.

Justin arrived at the loft expecting Brian to be there. When he buzzed and no one answered he felt his heart sink. Was everyone going to let him down today? He sat on the front step willing Brian to arrive. After ten minutes he pulled his cell phone out of his jacket and called Brian.

"Hey, Sunshine, I'm almost there."

"What took so long?"

"Gabby client."

"Oh," Justin said relaxing a bit. "How far away are you?"

"Look down the street."

Justin looked up and saw the Jeep turn the corner. He felt his lips curl into a smile. "I feel much sunnier now that I see you."

"I like the sound of that," Brian whispered in his best sexy voice. Sex would fix whatever was wrong with his Sunshine.

As soon as he stepped out of the Jeep Justin was in his arms. He kissed the boy passionately letting him know how much he was loved and wanted. They quickly made their way up to the loft and into the big bed.

"I'm going to make love to you all night," Brian whispered as he entered Justin.

"I love you," Justin whispered back and he knew everything would be all right.

When they finally came up for air some time later, Justin was feeling more like himself. He told Brian about his fight with his mother but not all the details about her reservations regarding Brian. Brian could fill in the unsaid parts and he wondered what he could possibly do to change Jennifer's impression of him. He had been as nice to her as he knew how to be. She had seemed all right about him when he had been in Cape Cod. He frowned wondering if his so called friends had had their dirty little fingers in what was going on. There would be hell to pay if he found out that was the case.

They were in the middle of a major makeout session when the phone rang. Justin froze thinking it was probably his mother.

"Let the machine pick up," Brian said continuing to suck on Justin's nipple.

Suddenly Debbie's voice filled the loft. "Pick up that fucking phone, you asshole. I know you're there. Justin told me."

"Maybe I should take this," Brian said as he released the tasty little bud. Justin giggled. "What the fuck do you want, Deb? I'm busy."

"Fucking!"

"Of course. I repeat, 'What do you want?'."

"I'm having a party tomorrow night. I've invited Jennifer so she can meet some of the other people Justin has gotten to know here in Pittsburgh. I want you and Justin here at seven o'clock."

Brian was about to refuse when he decided that he should talk this over with Justin since his mother was involved. After explaining the situation Justin was all for it. It meant he wouldn't have to spend the evening dodging his mother's questions. There would be other people to occupy her time. It would be her last evening in Pittsburgh, so they could pretend that it was a farewell party for her.

"Looks like we'll be there," Brian said.

"Good, and don't be late."

Brian smirked as he cut the connection. "Now where were we?"

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

When Brian and Justin walked into Debbie's everyone stopped and turned towards them. They were fashionably late and had brought Daphne and the guest of honor, Jennifer, with them.

"About fucking time you got here," Debbie berated them. "I told you not to be late, asshole."

"Love you too, Deb," Brian said with a smirk and a kiss to her cheek.

Debbie beamed at him. Jennifer couldn't help but notice the affection there despite Debbie's harsh words.

"Welcome, Jennifer," Debbie was saying. "Come in and take a load off. We're having baked ziti and just sitting around. Would you like a glass of wine?"

"I'd love one," Jennifer said feeling she could use some fortification in the room full of people.

Debbie whisked her into the kitchen. "Don't feel overwhelmed," Debbie explained. "I'll introduce you to people as they come along. You're more likely to remember them that way. This is my brother Vic."

"Nice to meet you, Vic," Jennifer smiled as she took the glass of wine he handed her. "Do you know my son?"

"I've met him a few times. Seems like a nice lad."

"Do you know Brian?"

"Very well."

"Oh?"

"I've known Brian since he was an awkward kid. He's grown into a fine man."

"He has?" Jennifer asked wondering why Vic would say that when she had heard such different things about Brian from other people.

"Brian can always be counted on if you ever need help. Enough said."

"Um … sure."

"Here's a bowl of pasta," Debbie said handing Jennifer the bowl and a fork.

"Sonny boy." Jennifer heard Brian's voice and she turned to see two women coming down the stairs carrying a little baby. She watched as Brian went towards them and they handed the baby to Brian. Brian's smile was so gentle and full of love that it made Jennifer think of Craig's face the first time he had seen his son.

"Who's that?" Jennifer asked.

"That's Lindsay and Melanie and Brian's son, Gus," Debbie replied.

"Brian's son?" Jennifer gasped choking on her wine.

"You didn't know?" Debbie asked. "They're lesbians and they asked Brian to father their baby."

"Does Justin know that?"

"He's visited Gus and I think he and Brian even babysat one day."

"Mom," Justin said. "I'd like you to meet Gus, Brian's son."

Brian was behind Justin and he held the baby out for Jennifer to see.

"Can I hold him?" she asked.

Brian looked at the lesbians who nodded. He handed his son to Jennifer who cooed about how cute and sweet the little boy was.

"You have perfect timing as usual, Brian," Mel was saying. "We just get him changed and you walk in."

"I'm known for my impeccable timing, right, Sunshine?"

Justin giggled and nodded his head. "Isn't he just the cutest baby you've ever seen, Mom?"

Jennifer smiled. "Next to you."

"All mothers think their child is the best," Lindsay laughed.

"Hey, Brian," Michael called. "Ted wants to know if you are going to Babylon this week. He thinks he may be able to get a date with some of your rejects."

"Theodore, ever hopeful as always!" Brian smirked. Turning to Justin Brian asked, "Sunshine, which nights do you need to work on assignments?"

"Probably Monday, Wednesday and Thursday."

"So, I guess I could help your social life on Wednesday," Brian called to Ted who was now blushing crimson.

"What about the other two nights?" Emmett asked.

"I have a client dinner on Monday and I'll wait till the weekend when Justin can come with me." Brian leaned down and kissed Justin's cheek.

Jennifer handed Gus to Lindsay and took a drink of wine. This was certainly a different side of Brian Kinney. He seemed devoted to Justin and willing to adjust his life around her son's needs. Maybe she had misjudged him. But his friends…

"Aw, look at the lovebirds," Ted teased trying to get back at Brian.

"Hey, be nice or I'll tell my rejects you have crabs."

Ted scowled but kept his mouth shut after that. Everyone else had a good laugh. Jennifer watched the somewhat cruel tongue that Brian had and began to realize that that was what his friends expected of him. She decided that she would watch for the rest of the evening and she just might have to change her opinion of Brian Kinney.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

The next morning Jennifer stood outside her car saying goodbye to Daphne and her son. She gave Daphne a big hug and the girl went back inside leaving her alone with Justin.

"I'm really glad I came for this visit," Jennifer said. "Now I can go back to Cape Cod knowing you have wonderful friends here and that things will be just fine."

"Thanks Mom," Justin said giving her a kiss and a big hug.

"And you have Brian," she added releasing him from the hug.

"And you're all right with that?"

"I learned a lot about Brian last night. I think he's a fine man. I think he will treat you well."

"He will. I love him, Mom."

"I know, honey. And if he doesn't treat you good, just let me know. I'll rip him a new one as Debbie would say."

Justin gasped at his mother's choice of punishment and then they both laughed. "Have a good trip back," Justin said closing the door on his mother's car. "And if I have any problems with Brian I'll be sure to threaten him with you."

"Love you, Justin." Jennifer started the car.

"Love you too."

Jennifer headed for Cape Cod and with a lighter step Justin headed for school. He could hardly wait for the day to be over so he could go to the loft and use the key Brian had presented him with the previous night. Brian had said he didn't want Justin to have to wait for him at the diner or on the sidewalk. Justin had felt so proud and so happy. They really were boyfriends, and now his mother had accepted that.

The little mouse was sitting on top of the world and right beside him was the big, bad cat who turned out to be a real pussycat.

Life was good.


The End.
Thyme is the author of 54 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 11 members. Members who liked Mouse and Cat also liked 824 other stories.