- Text Size +

 

Mouse and Cat

Part 8

 


"Hi Mom," Justin said into the phone.

"How are you, honey? It's been days since I heard from you."

"I know, and I'm sorry. I've been really busy. You know, school, my job, Daphne…"

"Brian."

"Yeah, him too."

"Tell me the truth, Justin. Are you coping?"

"So far."

"That sounds like you foresee some problems in the future."

"Maybe … I don't know."

"You know, if things get too hectic, you need to step back."

"From what?"

"From Brian."

"I … I can't do that. I love him."

"How much of your time is he taking up?"

"Mom!" Justin was starting to get angry. He didn't want his mother interfering in his love life or what was left of it.

"I know it's none of my business, but school comes first. You worked hard to get into PIFA. Don't let it slip away."

"I won't," Justin stated emphatically.

"I'll talk to you in a couple of days."

"Yeah. And Mom, I love you."

Jennifer smiled. "I love you too, honey."

Justin turned his cell phone off and looked over at Daphne who was sitting on the couch. She half rolled her eyes at him.

"Why did you lie to her?" Daphne asked.

"I didn't lie."

"You know you're not keeping up with your schoolwork."

"I … I'll get caught up. I will," Justin repeated when he saw Daphne's skeptical look.

"You need to tell him to let you have at least half the nights of the week off."

"I can't."

"What do you mean, you can't? Of course, you can."

"He … he needs me."

"Needs you to suck his dick," Daphne said scornfully.

"It's more than that."

"Like what?"

"Now that everybody knows, I can't suddenly disappear. How would that look?"

"It would look like you're being a responsible student who needs some work time. If Brian's half the man I think he is, he'll understand."

"It's you that doesn't understand, Daph. He has needs. And if I don't satisfy them, he'll find someone else to do it."

"So what are you saying? Is this like blackmail or coercion or something?"

"Of course not."

"Have you even talked to him about this?"

"Sort of."

"Meaning you haven't."

"Every time I try to, he grabs me and kisses me and I forget why I went there."

"And then he fucks you all night, so that you're too tired to go to class. You can't keep on like this, Justin."

"I know. I'm going to talk to him. Really I am."

Daphne sighed. She knew there was no point in pestering Justin more. He knew what needed to be done. It was merely a question of whether he would do it. Or whether Brian would let him do it.

"I'll see you tomorrow," Justin said carrying his bag of clothes out the door. Brian was expecting him to be there in a few minutes. Maybe they could have that talk then … right after they fucked.

"Yeah, or the day after, or whenever he lets you come up for air," Daphne muttered to the now closed door.

On his way to the loft Justin made a stop at Michael's apartment. He had finished the sketches for the first few pages of their comic. He had managed to work on them at the diner when he had a minute or two, and at PIFA between classes and over his lunch break. He let out a sigh as he climbed the stairs to Michael's. He knew he had too many things on the go, but he didn't want to give up any of them. He knocked on the door.

"What do you want?" Michael said abruptly.

Justin was a little taken aback by Michael's attitude. "Um … I finished the first few pages of the comic. I thought you might like to see them."

"I guess I could look at them. Come in."

Justin stepped inside and looked at Michael who stood with his arms crossed on his chest and an unpleasant look on his face. "Is something wrong?"

"Why the fuck didn't you tell me about you and Brian?"

"We decided that we'd keep it between us … for a while."

"So that's why Rage looked like Brian. You were fantasizing about him the whole time," Michael griped shaking his head in disbelief.

"So what if I was," Justin retorted. He didn't see why this was upsetting Michael. He had seemed perfectly fine with Rage looking like Brian … until it had become public knowledge that he and Brian were together. Michael was jealous, Justin suddenly realized. He smiled slightly. "It wasn't all fantasy," he couldn't help but add.

"Brian doesn't do boyfriends, you know," Michael said with that superior look he had far too often.

"Well, apparently he does with me," Justin shot back.

"Fuck you!" Michael reacted.

"Look, Michael, Brian and I are together. If you have that big a problem with it, then maybe we should just forget this whole collaboration idea." Justin turned to the door to leave.

"Wait," Michael said hastily. He really did want to make this comic. It was his one big chance to do something really important.

"What?"

"Let me see what you did."

"Only if you get rid of this pissy attitude."

"Okay, okay," Michael replied.

Justin slid his messenger bag off his shoulder and pulled out his sketchbook. He took out the pages he had stuck inside it.

"Wow!" Michael reacted.

"You like it," Justin smiled. He loved it when his work got that kind of reaction.

"It's … perfect. Better than I could have envisioned."

"You think so?"

"I do. Look, Justin," Michael began, trying to come to terms with Brian being with this kid. "I'm sorry I was so…"

"Shitty."

"Yeah, shitty. I wish you had told me is all. It took me by surprise."

"I told you why we didn't say anything," Justin said feeling like he and Brian had done nothing wrong. This was really nobody else's business.

"What I'm trying to say is that I want to keep working with you. I think we can make a difference for gay kids with our gay superhero. I really want to make this comic."

Justin sighed. He had thought for a minute that maybe he was going to lose this project which would give him more time for his studies. But Michael's enthusiasm was somewhat infectious. "Okay," Justin said, "I'll come over tomorrow and we can discuss the next part."

"Why don't we do it right now?"

"I … okay, sure," Justin agreed deciding that he might as well get this done and save himself another trip to Michael's later in the week. Brian would have to wait.

By the time Justin got to the loft he wasn't sure what his reception was going to be. He had actually been at Michael's for several hours. They had got a lot done and time had just evaporated.

Justin buzzed up to the loft and got no answer. He tried again with the same result. He suddenly realized that Brian must have got sick of waiting for him. He had been at Michael's a lot longer than he had intended, but he knew from experience that when you got on a roll, you had to stick with it. You might never capture it again. He and Michael had got a lot accomplished.

Justin looked up at the loft. There were no lights or any other indication that Brian was there. He thought for a moment and then pulled out his cell phone. There was one message. He played it back.

"Where are you, Sunshine? I've been waiting for a long time. Why aren't you picking up?"

Justin sighed. He had switched his phone off after he talked to his mother and hadn't turned it back on until now. He hadn't intended to be so long at Michael's and had never thought to turn his phone on.

He hit one on the speed dial and the phone automatically dialed Brian's cell. It went to voicemail. That was when he knew he was in trouble. He wondered for a second where Brian might be, and suddenly he was sure that he knew. Brian would be at Babylon … probably getting his dick sucked. Justin knew he had blown it big time.

He turned around and lugged his bag back to the car. He would be spending the night in his and Daphne's apartment. And who knew how many more nights after that.

"What are you doing back here?" Daphne demanded when he let himself into the apartment.

"I made a big mistake."

"Mistake? What are you talking about?"

"I stopped at Michael's on my way over to Brian's," Justin started to explain.

"So?"

"So, he was pissed at me because neither Brian nor I had told him we were together. Brian is his bestest friend in the whole wide world you know," Justin said sarcastically. "Well, I guess he won't have to worry about that anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"I sort of had it out with Michael. All I wanted to do was drop off the sketches for the comic."

"Justin, get to the fucking point! You're scaring me."

"One thing led to another and we mapped out the next part of the comic book."

"So, you're not in Michael's bad books any longer?"

"No, just Brian's."

"Justin!" Daphne threatened.

"I was late getting to Brian's and he wasn't there. I guess he got sick of waiting for me. He probably went to Babylon to grab a trick. I've ruined everything." Justin flung himself dramatically onto the couch.

"You've ruined everything? Couldn't that asshole wait an hour or two for you?"

"More like three hours," Justin admitted making a little face.

"Still," Daphne said. "How could he just leave knowing you were coming?" Justin shrugged. "Did you call him?"

Justin nodded. "All I get is voicemail. He … I know he's found someone else."

"Probably just another trick."

"The first of many, I'm sure," Justin said shaking his head.

"What are you going to do?"

"I wish the fuck I knew," Justin said wiping at his eyes. "I'm going to bed."

"Sure," Daphne said wondering what she could do to help her friend.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

The next morning the phone rang before seven o'clock. A very unhappy Daphne dragged herself out of bed and went into the living room to answer the offensive object.

"What!" she demanded.

"Daphne?"

"Brian?"

"Yeah, can I speak to Justin?"

Justin wandered out of his bedroom looking like death warmed over. He obviously had not gotten much sleep. Daphne mouthed "Brian" to Justin who shook his head.

"Um … he's still asleep," Daphne lied. "Can I take a message?"

"Tell him to call me as soon as he gets up. It's important." Brian let out a weary sigh before he cut the connection.

"Okay." Daphne set the receiver down and looked at Justin. "Why wouldn't you talk to him?"

"He … I don't know. I need to get my feelings straight before I talk to him again. How did he sound? Angry?"

"No, he sounded tired."

"Probably up all night fucking," Justin scowled.

"It didn't sound like that kind of tired. He sounded sort of worried."

"How do you know that?" Justin frowned.

"That's just how he sounded to me," Daphne shrugged.

"I wonder why he called. I thought he'd be happy to get rid of me."

"Justin!" Daphne chastised him. "I really believe he has feelings for you. I don't think he would be happy to get rid of you at all. And if you want to know why he called, call him back."

Justin frowned trying to decide what to do. If he called Brian and found out that the man had been with one or more tricks, he knew he would be devastated. All that because he was a few hours late. He shook his head. On the other hand he might find out that something else had happened. But how likely was that? Brian tricking was much more likely.

With a sigh Justin started a pot of coffee. He'd have some breakfast and then decide if he wanted to call Brian back.

Brian had waited for Justin's call as long as he could. He headed for work making sure that his cell phone was turned on. He had meetings all morning, so it would have to be shut off during those. He hoped Justin would call before his first meeting.

Justin tried the loft after he had his breakfast. There was no answer. That made him kind of mad. He had hoped Brian might be waiting for his call. He tried Brian's cell. It went to voice mail. He didn't leave a message thinking he would call later.

Brian came out of his first meeting. It looked like they had just landed a new account. He should have been feeling great, but he wanted to talk to Justin. He pulled out his cell phone. There were no messages. He frowned. He'd leave his cell on until he had his next meeting. He had already told Cynthia to put Justin through if he called.

Justin finished his first class and tried Brian's cell again. It went to voicemail. Justin decided he would leave a message this time. "It's Justin. I understand you want to talk to me. Too bad you're so … unavailable." He hung up and turned his phone off as he headed for his next class.

Brian came out of the meeting and pulled out his cell. He listened to the message from Justin frowning all the time. Justin sounded pissed and he could hardly blame him. He had asked Justin to call but they never seemed to be able to connect. He dialed Justin's number and had it go to voicemail. He decided he better leave a message too. "This is a really busy day, Justin. Too bad that we keep missing each other because I really need to talk to you." Brian hung up.

He dialed Lindsay's cell. There was no answer. When voicemail kicked in, he said: "Lindsay, let me know how Gus is. Call Cynthia if you can't reach me. I'm in meetings most of the day."

Justin headed for the cafeteria to grab some lunch. He pulled out his cell and listened to Brian's message. He tried the man's cell one more time only to have it go to voicemail. He didn't leave a message. He wondered if all the trouble they were having talking on the phone was merely symptomatic of the trouble they had in their actual relationship.

After the lunch hour staff meeting, Brian checked his phone finding no new message from Justin. He walked out to Cynthia's desk. "Justin didn't call, did he?"

"No, sorry. But Lindsay called. She's taking Gus home from the hospital this afternoon. Everything seems to be okay."

"Thank the gods," Brian breathed a sigh of relief. At least that was one thing he didn't have to worry about.