- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Finally an update from me. More about that in the end notes. Enjoy this chapter. I think it's quite longer than the previous chapters.

5 MONTHS LATER

Angela Turner loved to take her patients out for walks through the huge park next to her office. Her office was far away enough from the city and Britin so she was sure to not meet any of Debbie's former family.

 

The therapist was very proud of Debbie as the waitress had worked really hard on herself and learned to deal with her problems - past and present - but she also learned to accept. It was not easy and Angela feared more than once that Debbie would fall back into old patterns but it never happened. There were a few outbursts but those happened less and less each session.

 

After a session, Angela would write a report and pass it on to Alex Wilder, who discussed it with the Taylor-Kinney family and their close friends. Alex kept her up to date with what the family thought, of course only with their permission. Angela even met with the family to hear their version of events and it helped her to point Debbie in the right directions but she realized quickly that it wasn't much needed.

 

Debbie's heart constantly broke whenever she thought about Jenny, Gus, Leonie and her former family. A big step back was when the red-head finally allowed herself to feel the rage and desperation towards her son. In the past, Debbie blamed other people, namely Brian, and always tried to excuse Michael's actions and words but that was finally over.

 

Angela noticed how heartbroken and disappointed Debbie really was over Michael. And it wasn't something that happened only in recent years. It began shortly after Brian and Michael met. Debbie told her that it made her sad to see Brian, who struggled with the abuse and neglect of his family, working so hard to make his life better and her own son who was raised in a loving home but always expected to be handed everything. Debbie would feel bad and guilty whenever she caught herself thinking like this. Not anymore. Debbie has accepted that Michael is not the son she wanted him to be and the blinders are off, finally.

 

Today was the day to see if Debbie really learned from her past mistakes. The family agreed to be at the park, without the kids, to talk to Debbie and see if they can build a new relationship with her. Debbie was not informed beforehand of the meeting.

 


PARK - The Family

Justin held Brian's hand tightly, whispering reassuring words into his ear. All of them suffered from Debbie's betrayal but it was Brian who had to suffer a lot longer so all of them were worried about the pregnant stud.

 

"You hungry, Brian?" Daphne asked gently with a frown. The adman LOVED being pregnant and enjoyed his pregnancy more than anyone would have thought. It was quite funny to see Brian Kinney constantly eating, sleeping and giggling like a schoolgirl.

 

"Hmmm, I could eat something. Emmett, did you bring some of that cake you made for ME this morning?" Brian asked, sounding rather possessive of his cake.

 

Emmett just shook his head and sighed. "Of course I did, Sweety. I wouldn't dare to leave you without the cake." The queen mused, wondering if Brian would want another cake tomorrow or the same.

 

"Give it to me and no Sunshine. You can't have more than one slice." Brian told his husband and the entire group laughed much to Justin's chagrin.

 

The laughing stopped however when they spotted Angela Turner walking their path with Debbie. The latter had not noticed the group yet as she was so passionately talking with the doctor but everyone held their breath, waiting for her reaction.

 

"... and I feel so bad, you know. I always said that I love Brian like my own but if anyone would have hurt Michael so bad I'd have raised heaven and hell to protect him but I didn't do it for Brian. I should have called the police or child service and tell them what Jack and Joan did to Brian…" Debbie stopped talking, looking at Brian.

"Brian! Oh Brian, you look so good. And Sunshine, Emmett, Teddy, Blake, Daphne, Drew… Mel, Melanie. All of you look so good. I'm sorry for disturbing you. Dr. Turner and I often walk through the park. We didn't think we'd meet you here. I'm sorry. And hello Alex." Debbie talked nervously. Alex nodded at her in greeting with a small smile.

 

"Debbie, this is not a coincident. I knew that the family would be here. It's time for all of you to sit together and talk. Alex and I are here to help you and interfere if needed." Angela spoke softly, waiting for Debbie's reaction.

 

Realization dawned on Debbie, whoms eyes widened and she began to stutter. "Bu.. but I thought I'd write letters first to see if they would be willing to talk to me. Are you sure…. are you sure they're all okay with me being here? What if they need more time?" Debbie kept talking but Daphne interrupted her.

 

"We're ready. So please sit down. Would you like a drink? We have water, cola and tea for Brian but I'm not sure if he's sharing. He's rather possessive as of late with his food and tea." Daphne began sternly but couldn't held back the amusement talking about Brian.

 

"Water is just fine, thank you Daphne." Debbie said and sat down, taking the offered bottle from Emmett and taking a sip before she took a deep breath and cleared her throat.

 

"Thank you all for allowing me to be here. I have been working with Dr. Turner for the past months and learned a lot about myself and my behavior towards each one of you and I want to apologize for my mistakes and misbehavior. I know that a mere apology can't undo a thing and I will respect and accept your decisions but I want each one of you to know that I have become a better person now because you all inspired me to do so and I will always love each one of you for who you are. The mistakes I made in the many years I've known you as a group and individually have left a lot of scars with you and me and while they may never fully heal, I hope that they will fade at least a tiny little bit someday. I'm not asking for forgiveness. I don't think I deserve that but you all deserve to be treated fairly and to be respected by everyone, most importantly me because I did you wrong." When Debbie was finished the group just looked at her.

 

The first one to speak was Brian. "Why?" He croaked. "Why did you treat us so badly? Why did you blame us for Michael's mistakes? Why did you hold us responsible and put the blame on us?" His voice became stronger with each sentence.

 

Debbie breathed in and out before she replied. "I did all of that and more. I put the blame for my own mistakes on you as well. I'm ashamed of that now that I see it clearly. I think it all started when I fell for Danny. I knew that he was different but still loved him and when I got pregnant I realized for the first time just what I was doing to him. I knew he couldn't love me the way I did him so I ended our relationship and went home to confess to my parents and they kicked me out. I was all alone without family, money or a place to live. I got my job at the diner, worked crazy hours and shifts to raise money for a downpayment for the house. When Michael was born I was so happy to have him and also to have a small part of Danny. I spoiled Michael with all my love and every penny I earned that I didn't need for the house or groceries, I spent it on my baby. I felt so bad and guilty because he didn't have his father. Now I see that after my parents kicked Vic out, too and he moved in with me that Michael had Vic as the father and uncle figure because Vic did such a good job with him. He was patient and caring but also stern and firm when needed, something I never was. We lived like that for years and I smothered and spoiled Michael but then he met Brian and for the first time I saw what I did to my son. Brian came from a house of abuse, no money, alcohol-addicted parents, an uncaring sister but he wasn't crying or complaining. He worked so hard on his soccer career even with broken bones, cuts and bruises which must have hurt like a bitch and he learned for his tests, did his homework and even had jobs here and there to earn a little bit of money because his parents didn't care to buy him clothes or other stuff he needed. Brian was everything I wanted for Michael to be: independent, strong, open minded, hard working, caring and willing to work for his money and dreams. Michael on the other hand was lazy, spoiled and wanted me to do the work for him. And that's when I started my long series of mistakes. I should've encouraged Michael to look up to Brian, to learn from him but I didn't. I put the blame on Brian and made him responsible for Michael whenever I couldn't be there and I know that's when I first failed you, Brian. I also failed you when it came to your family. I should've done more to help you. Should've called child service so they would get you out of that house but I didn't because I was enjoying the free time I had when you were responsible for my son. I'm so fucking sorry, Brian. I failed you, a young child who had to deal with so much hatred and abuse already. I failed Michael, Vic and myself by not helping you. I put more pressure on you and I can't help but wonder how you didn't go crazy with all of that shit at home and at my house. I'm so sorry, Brian." Debbie now sobbed openly.

 

Brian nodded, taking in what his former mother figure just told him.

"And I did the same with Ted and Emmett later on. Then Melanie and Lindsay, Justin, Jennifer, Daphne, Blake and Drew. Ben and Hunter had to deal with that shit from me, too and I'm sure that if Gus and Jenny had been older I've put them through the same because I felt like I owed it to Michael because he never had a father because of me." Debbie continued.

 

After a moment of silence, Jennifer spoke. "First of all, thank you for the apology. I'm sure we all appreciate it. Dr. Turner and Alex kept us updated on your progress and I want to say that I am, no, that we all are proud of you. Very proud to be honest because you worked hard on yourself and we all think it was the best decision you have made in a very long time. And you wanted it, it wasn't forced on you. But… your actions caused a lot of harm and pain to many of this family and it will take a lot of time for all of them to heal, Debbie. I'm willing to meet with you once a week if you want that. I can listen to you, keep you a little updated about the children and the family as much as they will allow me to share." Jennifer offered kindly and Debbie nodded with fresh tears and croaked out a "Thank you, Jennifer." before she nervously looked at the group.

 

"Well, you haven't done any harm to me personally, Debbie but you hurt Emmett and that hurt me. He's my love, my everything so it's up to him if he wants to stay in touch with you or not." Drew said and got a teary smile from Emmett in return.

 

"Thank you, Drewsie. I love you so much." Emmett whispered passionately before he turned to look at Debbie. "I'm not sure of anything yet, Debbie. BUT… give me your phone number and I'll call you occasionally and we'll go from there .Okay for you?" Emmett asked and Debbie smiled in agreement. She took out a piece of paper and wrote down her number.

 

"It's house and mobile, Emmett. I have moved into a different neighbourhood two months ago to free myself from the past so all numbers are new. Like a fresh start, you know." Debbie said quietly and was surprised to see the looks of approval and pride on the faces of her former family.

 

The next one to speak was Ted, who had whispered quietly with Blake before addressing Debbie. "Blake offers the same to you, Debbie. As a counselor he feels that you're on a good path and would like to help you but I'm out." The accountant said and most of the group were surprised. He said and Debbie nodded in acceptance.

 

"I'm sorry for all of that, Ted. I wish I could say I was crazy but I wasn't and I take full responsibility for what I said. It was wrong and I was lashing out at the wrong person again. I will respect your decision, Ted. You're a good person and have overcome a lot of terrible things yourself. Michael could've never done that and neither could I. And Blake, thank you." She said and handed the counselor a piece of paper with her numbers and address on it.

 

"I wasn't really part of your circle as I was always devoted to Justin and our friendship and I won't surgarcoat a thing for you, Debbie. I can accept your apology but I want nothing to do with you. If Justin and Brian welcome you back into their lives I'll respect that and be polite to and with you but that's it." Daphne said shortly and Molly tuned in.

 

"Same here. My brothers are the best people in the world and hurt them once I might forgive you but be foolish and keep on hurting them you're nothing to me." Molly said determinedly. Both Justin and Jennifer looked proudly at the young blonde while Brian winked at her with a smirk.

 

Melanie just shook her head no, crying openly. She would never be able to forgive Debbie. "I'm giving you the chance to better yourself, Debbie. Jenny is your granddaughter and if you continue with your good progress I might be willing to let her see you. As of now, she is too young to understand what happened and I won't tell her bad things about you but I need more time to see your progress and make a decision in the best interest of my daughter."

 

Again, Debbie nodded in acceptance with a small smile. "I know you don't owe me anything but is it okay for me to ask how Jenny is? And how Gus and Leonie are?" Debbie asked nervously.

 

"They're all doing better now. For Leonie it is physically but for Gus and Jenny it is mentally. They have regular appointments with a child therapist and talk daily with a counselor at their daycare. Other than that, they're growing, healthy and enjoy their lives." Justin said with a dreamy look on his face and Debbie thanked him.

 

"So glad to hear they're okay. I kept asking myself in the past months just how much they noticed and how they dealt with everything. Do Jenny and Gus miss Michael and Lindsay?" Debbie asked and added quietly, "Do they miss me just a little bit?"

 

"No!" Brian said. "No, they don't miss Lindsay or Michael at all. They have asked or talked about them very little in their sessions or with us. Jenny does miss you a lot, Debbie. She still takes that little pillow you sewed for her wherever she goes." He told her honestly and Debbie winced, then sighed and let the tears flow.

 

"I miss them, too. Both of them so much and I want to hit myself for hurting and neglecting them so badly. Please, whatever your decision is, tell them that I love them. I know I probably don't deserve it but I don't want for them to think I don't care or love them. If I could turn back time I wouldn't put Michael before them." Debbie said and Brian and Mel promised her to make sure the kids know she loves them.

 

Now it was only Brian and Justin left, Debbie thought and she dreaded their words. But suddenly Ben and Hunter came out of the woods and joined the group.

 

"Debbie, congratulations for finally thinking of yourself. Hunter and I listened to your conversation and I'm sorry for hiding but I wasn't sure if Hunter was able to handle being in your presence. He's my son and I won't allow you to hurt him even more." Ben's stern voice broke no chance for an argument.

 

"I'm proud of you Ben. You are putting your son first but you do it the right and healthy way whereas I never did. I want to apologize to the both of you as well. You both deserve to be loved truly and treated better. You both deserve better than the sorry excuse of a father and husband that Michael was. And I'm so glad that Jenny has you Ben for a father and you Hunter as her biggest brother." Debbie said and noticed the look of surprise on Ben's face.

 

"You see me as Jenny's father?" Ben asked, perplexed. Debbie nodded yes but looked confused. "I thought you wouldn't be okay with me staying in Jenny's life after Michael and I were over. Same goes for Hunter."

 

"What? NOOOO!" Debbie jumped up. "God Ben, Hunter. What did I do you to you? Ben, you have always loved Jenny and took care of her, paid attention. Michael never did. And you Hunter, you would give your life to protect her and Gus. I'm so sorry." Debbie sobbed again. Hunter joined her with the tears but kept a distance between them. Ben patted his son's back and the both sat down.

 

"Debbie, I thought you were my grandma and I wish I could call you that again but I'm not ready yet. I want to be because I've been neglected and pimped out by my birth mother and I always thought you all were a huge family but Michael, Lindsay and you, yes you too Debbie, destroyed that image for me. I need more time." Hunter said and Ben made it clear that he also needed time. Debbie again nodded in acceptance and then turned to look at Brian and Justin.

 

Taking a deep breath, Justin began. "Debbie, I have told you in our last few encounters what I thought and still think about you and Michael. Back then, you held your ground in defence of him and it tore my heart apart. You were there when my own family broke apart but you let me down when your son tried to kill my family. The good things you did for me can't be an excuse for the shitty, fucked up things you said and did. Personally, I want to stay away from you for a little while longer. I don't know as of yet if I can forgive you, that takes time and there are other things I still need to deal with so please, give me the time and let me come to you when I know what I want in regards to you." Justin said and gave his husband's hand a squeeze.

 

"I agree with Mel when it comes to the children. But as of now, I am done with you Debbie. I cannot stand being in your presence and I'm glad if I can leave this meeting and go as far away as possible, Debbie. Maybe that will change at some point. I don't know and quite frankly, I don't care. I'm done paying the debts of staying at your place when I couldn't stay at home. I'm glad you have finally cut that damn strings between you and your son and I wish you all the best but I'm not sure if time can heal all those wounds you inflicted on my soul and heart." Brian said and stood up slowly. He walked back to the car and waited for his husband to take him home. He needed to be with Gus, Jenny and Leonie and Justin alone.

 

TBC

Chapter End Notes:

I hope you liked this chapter. I have decided to wrap this story up as soon and fast as possible because the situation I'm in is probably not going to change and I don't like leaving this story unfinished any longer.

 

My dog Shiloh passed away in June and that hit me really, really hard. Now we have a new puppy, 13 weeks old and he needs a lot of attention and love so I spend most of my time with him at the moment.

 

But the reason for my not being able to write is my health. I've been suffering from migraine attacks for years but it has gotten so bad in the past few months. I'm in pain every day, have problems to eat and keep in it, freeze and sweat, can't sleep and and and. I'm seeing my doctors on a regular schedule and have been given strong meds but nothing worked so far. My concentration works for a couple of minutes and then everything is blurry. I took almost two weeks to write this chapter and read it through before I gave it to my beta. I can only apologize to you for letting you down and waiting for so long and I will do my best to wrap this story up and then do a sequel later when I'm better. That will give me the possibility to go back to certain things I wanted to write and had planned. I hope nobody will be too disappointed and keep on reading the story.

Sandy xoxo