- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The gang gets together... decisions and suggestions are made... and Debbie has deep thoughts...

FAMILY DINNER AT THE LOFT

Ted and Emmett looked at Brian with widened eyes, Hunter laughed uncontrollably and Ben grinned wickedly while Blake found the floor really interesting and Drew checked the lamp on the ceiling. Brian Kinney sat on a chair with Leonie in his arms singing a lullaby. Justin and his mom stood in the kitchen and watched that precious moment between Brian and Leo with tears. Brian usually only sang for the kids when no adult was around but the fierce ad man lost himself in his beautiful daughter and their bonding moment and totally forget about the gang.

 

Melanie was in the big bathroom, bathing Jenny and Gus. During her chemo she realized that she didn't miss her job the most. She also didn't miss Lindsay but she missed her two beautiful children terribly. It was a little shock for her at first, especially when she thought about her pregnancy and the inability to step back and not work all the time. Melanie loved her job, she loved to help other people and fighting for justice but after fighting death, all she wanted was to spend time with her children, not thinking about her job. Brian and Justin made it possible for her...

 

xxx-FLASHBACK to Mel's 1st evening back at home-xxx


Jenny and Gus were already in bed when Brian, Justin and Melanie sat down in the living room with hot chocolate and some fruits to talk about the coming months. Mel was surprised to hear about Brian's pregnancy but she was truly happy and excited for them. She fell in love with their daughter Leonie the moment she saw her and couldn't wait for Gus, Jenny and Leo to have another sister or brother.

 

When Brian asked what Mel planned to do now that she was released from the hospital. Mel admitted that she would love to stay at home for a while and spend lots of quality time with Gus and Jenny and also wanted to have some bonding time with Leo. Brian and Justin were relieved to hear that but Mel also admitted that she couldn't afford the house without her income.

 

"That's what we wanted to talk to you about. Justin and I would prefer for you to stay at home for the rest of the year and regain your strength. You can sell the house or rent it out. We want you to stay here. Gus and Jenny really need the stability of having all three of us together and Leo. The past months affected them, too." Brian told her.

 

"Also, the operation and chemo took a lot from you Mel. You need to recharge and heal properly. If you stay with us you wouldn't have to worry about money and shit. Between the three of us, the kids will never be alone and I think that not only we but the rest of the gang really needs lots of quality family time. What do you think?" Justin added.

 

Mel didn't hesitate for a second to agree with Brian and Justin. They could heal together, as a family after all the pain Lindsay, Michael, Ethan and their companions inflicted upon all of them.

xxx-End of Flashback-xxx

 

"The entire building is yours, right Brian? Not just the loft." Emmett asked.

 

"Yep, we bought the whole building. Why?" Justin asked when he didn't seem to hear Emmett talking to him.

 

"I'm just thinking." Emmett began. "Why don't you rebuild the loft above so Mel could move there permanently? It would be perfect for the kids but you would still have your own areas."

 

"That's a good idea, Ems." Jennifer said. "Think about it, Justin. You and Brian combined the 2nd floor with the 1st, you could easily combine the 3rd floor as well so you two would be connected to Mel. There wouldn't be the stress of picking the kids up from wherever Mel might move to. Mel could have the 3rd floor to herself but could easily come down if you need help or some quiet time for yourself. And I'm sure that Mel will meet someone new in the future."

 

"I agree. I will talk to Brian and Mel about it. Thanks for the heads up, Ems. Now, who wants some cake for dessert?" Justin asked.

 


DEB'S HOUSE


Debbie cried herself to sleep again. The former waitress was lonely and hurt. She missed her son, her family and her job. The owner of the diner had to let her go after too many customers complained about her and refused to be served by her.

 

She felt good when she heard about Lindsay's injuries. Lindsay didn't deserve anything else but it still pained her to think about the pain that criminals inflicted upon her son Michael. He wasn't bad, she didn't raise him to be like that.

 

Debbie always felt bad about Michael growing up without his father but she knew that Danny wouldn't be happy living a family life. Danny was gay and struggling with himself and his family. She deeply regretted not being honest with Michael about his father. The story she invented about his father being a war hero was just one of her many mistakes, she knew that. She coddled and protected her son too much. Maybe, if she hadn't made that many mistakes, Michael would be a different person.

 

Love was all she could offer her son. She worked her ass off to make enough money so she could buy him clothes, food and keep a roof above his head but for Michael it was never enough. He always complained that his clothes weren't cool enough or that he couldn't get the toys other kids had.

 

Michael's life got a lot easier once he met Brian. His family wasn't rich either and Brian could tell everyone that having a father isn't always the great fairytale that Michael dreamed of. But Brian had character, a strong will and a plan. Brian worked hard for everything: grades, scholarship, money and success, unlike Michael. Yes, Michael was lazy, not just compared to Brian. And although Brian was brave and ready to fight for what he wanted, he was also a scared soul, unable to believe in love, unable to let people close… until Justin. That young man never cared about Brian's image, money or success. Yes, Justin was proud of everything that Brian archived but it wasn't what he loved about Brian. Justin wasn't blinded by the bullshit rules and asshole persona Brian carried around. No, the blonde fell in love with insecure, hurt and scared part of Brian as well as the successful, fierce and brave man.

 

Justin saw through the walls and masks while Michael refused to see Brian as a man. Michael ignored Brian's flaws most of the time, Justin loved them. Michael only noticed the flaws when he could use them to feel superior to Brian, Justin accepted them and helped Brian to accept himself. Debbie was convinced that Brian stopped thinking about himself becoming like his father because of Justin.

 

Michael… her son, her everything. He turned into a monster and there was nothing Debbie could do to change that. Michael needed to own his mistakes and she hoped that Michael would learn his lesson.

 

TBC

 

Chapter End Notes:

Chapter 24 is up and I'll post the next tomorrow as it's already done and beta'ed. I hope you'll enjoy them.