- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

It does mention sexual abuse of a teenager but not detail.

“Darling, just try to have a good day,” his mom said as she pulled up in front of the public high school.

He glared at her. “I don’t understand why I had to leave St. James.” He knew he was whining but it was his freshman year. He didn’t know anyone in this school.

“I told you, I can’t afford it. Hopefully, your father will see reason soon enough.”

“I hate him.”

“He’s still your father, Justin.”

“Whatever.” He got out of the car without even saying goodbye. He was just too upset about the divorce, moving and switching schools.

A cheery gray-haired woman greeted him when he entered the front office. He had never gone to public school before, and he didn’t know what to expect.

“My name is Justin Taylor, I’m starting here today.”

“I’ve been expecting you. I need to show you your locker then I’ll show you to your first class. Here’s your schedule.” She handed him a slip of paper. He looked at it.

Justin Taylor- 9th Grade

Locker 1122

1st Period- World Geography

2nd Period- AP Algebra 1

3rd Period- Government

Lunch

4th Period- AP English 1

5th Period- Physical Science

6th Period- French 1

7th Period- M-W-F Gym

7th Period- Tues-Thurs Health

He followed the woman down three hallways and up a flight of stairs. She led him to a section of lockers that looked in disuse.

“Sorry dear, we only have lockers available here. I don’t think anyone’s used them since the 80’s,” she said, her face taking a sad, faraway look.

He wanted to pitch a fit but just didn’t have the energy. Anyway, it wasn’t their fault his dad pulled his tuition from St. James two weeks into the school year.

“Thanks,” he said miserably.

He officially hated public school. He thought Chris Hobbs and his idiot brigade were bad. All he wanted to do was crawl into a hole and stay there for the rest of his life.

First, everything they were learning he already knew, even in his AP classes. Then there was Ralph Dorian and his gang of Neanderthals. Now he had Gym class, which he wasn’t looking forward to it.

There were two teachers in the gym. Coach Sandson and Coach Barr. His teacher was Coach Sandson, a hard-faced man of about forty-five. He was rather handsome but something about him Justin didn’t like. Coach Barr was a woman in her thirties with a rough southern accent.

After gym class, in which he had to borrow school gym clothes, he waited for everyone to leave the showers before he went in for his. In middle of his shower, the water became ice cold.

As he jumped out of the shower he noticed he wasn’t alone. Covering himself with his towel, he stared shocked.

“Coach Sandson?”

The man stood there, not moving. Suddenly, the locker room door slammed making Sandson turn and leave. It all gave him a bad feeling. What was his teacher doing in the showers? Maybe he hadn’t realized a student was still there. But that didn’t explain the staring and the creepy feeling Justin got.

By the time he got to his school locker the halls were empty, not like there was a lot of foot traffic near his locker anyway. A feeling of someone watching him was hard to bury. But when he looked around, he didn’t see anyone. The locker had seen better days, it even had what looked like a bullet hole in the door. He noticed something that missed his attention earlier. A simple brown leather bracelet. It was very masculine looking. It was caught in the bottom corner. He was able to get it out.

When he turned he saw a boy his age standing there looking at him.

“Hey,” Justin said dumbly.

The boy had brown hair, hazel eyes and a little taller than him. But his clothes were like something from an 80’s movie and not a good one.

“I thought everyone had left,” he said, sounding like an idiot.

The boy didn’t speak but gestured to the bracelet.

“Is this yours?” Justin asked.

The boy nodded but when Justin tried to hand it back he shook his head. The boy pointed at the bracelet then at Justin’s wrist.

“You want me to wear it?” Just was starting to get freaked out. The boy was cute but very strange. Again, the boy nodded.

Not being able to say no to the piercing hazel eyes, he put the bracelet on.

Everything changed…sorta. The boy was gone but Justin was still in the hallway. The lockers around him looked in better shape than they had moments ago. His locker that just had his books in it, now housed tennis shoes, books for classes he wasn’t in and several pictures on the inside door of the locker. Two boys in every one, he recognized one as the silent boy.

“Come on, Brian. We’re gonna be late.” Justin’s arm was grabbed, he looked and saw the other boy from the photos.

He was just about to tell the freak to let him go when something else in his locker caught his attention. A small mirror taped to the door. Staring back at him from it wasn’t his reflection, but the boy from earlier.

This couldn’t be happening. This only started when he put the bracket on, so he took it off.

Just like that he was alone in the hallway again and his locker was falling apart again. He shoved the bracelet into his bookbag. It was another twenty minutes until his mom was due to pick him up. So, he wondered into the library.

It wasn’t as big or as nice as the one at St. James. Some of the books looked on their last legs.

As he was browsing the books, one title jumps out to him. The Catcher in the Rye. He had read it last year but didn’t really get it. There were three copies on the shelf two looked almost new but the other one looked well-worn.

It looked to be newly barcoded but still had a check-out card.

“If you’re going to check that book out you need to do it now. I’m locking up,” a prim older woman said.

 He hadn’t been planning to but something was pulling him to check it out. As he left with the book he felt a feather light touch on his arm, but when he looked around he saw no one was around.

Two days later he was getting ready for gym. He felt Brian again, it was something he had gotten used to in the last two days. At least he thought the boy’s name was Brian, it was what the other boy called him. Turning, Justin saw him again, he pointed at Justin’s wrist.

“Really? Now?”

Brian nodded. Justin groaned but pulled the bracelet out of his bookbag. Placing it on his wrist he was again transferred to another time but same place, the boys’ locker room.

“Kinney, stop staring at everyone’s dicks.”

“I don’t have a microscope with me,” Justin snapped.

The boys around him laughed, so did the one that yelled. Justin hadn’t even known the guy was talking to him. It was like some instinct took over him. He had thought the boy’s name was Brian not Kenny. Maybe the bracelet made him different people. But when he past the mirror he saw he was still Brian.

He followed the boys into the gym. There had to be a reason Brian wanted him there.

As soon as he walked into the gym a familiar feeling came to him. Looking up he saw a vaguely familiar face looking at him. It took him a moment to place him…Coach Sandson. Young Coach Sandson.

Justin shivered. Something was very off about the man. Quickly, he slid the bracelet off, now back in his gym locker room.

Later that night he was doing his homework when he accidentally knocked over Catcher in the Rye. The check-out card fell out as he picked it up. A name jumped out at him.

Brian Kinney- 26 Sept. 85

Brian Kinney, the boy with the bracelet. Grabbing his phone, he called Daphne. Since the move, he no longer had a computer. He would need her help.

“Hey, Justin, what’s up?”

“I need your help. Can you look up Brian Kinney? K I N N E Y, in Pittsburgh. He would have been in high school in 1985.”

“Who is this guy?” she asked.

He couldn’t’ tell her the truth, she would think he’s nuts…more than he probably was.

“Just someone I need some info on. Please, Daph?”

“Fine. I’ll call you later with what I find.”

“Thanks.”

Two hours later he was surprised when Daphne barreled into his room.

“I can only stay a minute; my dad is downstairs waiting.”

“What are you doing here so late?”

“I found Brian Avery Kinney, born May 21st, 1971. Son of Jack and Joan Kinney, one sister Claire Kinney. Date of Death, October 1st, 1985.

“Death? Wait 1985, that means he was only 14 years old. How did he die?”

“Officially? Undisclosed. But after some digging I found someone who started a memorial blog about him. A Michael Novotny AKA CaptAstro71. It was all about finding warning signs in friends. That’s where it gets super sad. Suicide. I printed this off, CaptAstro71 wrote this about the day before Brian died. What he alludes to is terrible, I don’t think man was punished.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Just read it. I gotta go, call me tomorrow.”

She handed him the paper before leaving. Curiosity and dread warred in his belly. The boy was a ghost, that’s why he was so sad and silent. Justin rolled his eyes, that’s what he thought from the beginning. It’s the only thing that made sense.

Taking a breath, he looked down at the printed sheet.

Hey guys, it’s me again. This time of year, is always hard. People have asked me why over a decade later why am I still grieving over a boy I knew for four months. To that I say you had to have met him. Brian was a true star. He drew people in with his wicked smile, attitude and mind. Sadly, the world doesn’t have that star anymore.

I wanted to write about the last full day Brian was alive. The day started like any other. We were goofing off in Mr. Henry’s Spanish class 4th period. We both got a write up. Before he left for gym, his demeanor changed. I knew why, but I didn’t tell anyone at the time. He called it the best shower scene since Psycho, except I could read him. It happened two days prior, that’s when the light went out of his eyes. He said it was his idea because Brian Kinney was always in charge but even then, as a naive 14-year-old, I knew it was all an act. That man had hurt him and that was why he skipped gym that Friday and why on Saturday he took his dad’s gun, snuck into the school and shot himself in front of his locker.

No matter what I said, no one listened beyond my mother and uncle. The Kinney’s wanted my ‘shameful lies’ to be buried. The school was more than willing to go along with it. Hell, I think the sicko still works there.

I still miss you, Brian.

Comment- That’s so sad. I’m so sorry, baby. ~QueenE

Comment- Michael, maybe seeing a specialist would be helpful. ~#bySchmidt

Comment- Oh honey, Brian wouldn’t want you to keep living like this, love Mom ~PflagDeb

Comment- Don’t listen to them, grieving has no time limit. Take care. ~VGrassi

Comment- I miss him too. ~Clairebear

 

It was Coach Sandson, Justin knew it. He wished he could do something about it. But he couldn’t go back in time. Something start to nudge the back of his mind. The bracelet. It seemed real enough when he put it on. The people, smells and Brian’s reflection as his own.

What if it was a time traveling bracelet. He shook his head at the idiot thought. What was more likely was he got hit in the head the first day of school here and these were all coma dreams.

“Well, if they are then I don’t see why I can’t save him.” At least in my mind.

Daphne said Brian died October 1st, the friend said Brian changed two days before making it September 29th. He just hoped he wasn’t too late. But it was his coma dream so he was pretty sure he wasn’t.

The next day as soon as he got into the school he put on the bracelet.

“How can you not think he’s hot?”

Justin looked up and saw the picture boy again who he suspected was Michael Novotny. Then he noticed the boy holding up a comic book pointing at a superhero.

“Are you seriously asking if I think a comic book character is hot?” Justin asked.

Michael huffed. “You don’t have to say it like that. And would you keep your voice down, you’re in the same closet I am.”

Justin looked at the other boy, he wasn’t doing well hiding. Of course, everyone wasn’t doing well hiding. Of course, everyone was dressed weird. The 80’s, what a weird decade for fashion.

“What is the date?” Justin asked cutting to the chance.

“Wednesday, duh.”

“The date,” he said impatiently.

“Geez, September 29th, 1985, is that good enough for you?” the boy said rolling his eyes.

“Perfect.” The bell rang signaling time to get to class. “I’ve got to the gym,” he told the other boy.

“You don’t have gym until fifth period.”

“I need to see Coach Sandson.”

The other boy’s face looked pensive. “Are you sure? You said he gives you the creeps the way he stares at you.”

“I’m sure.”

Justin wanted the upper hand and he couldn’t risk being ambushed by the guy. This wasn’t about just saving Brian but anyone else the man hurt.

He swung by the audio-visual room before heading to the gym locker room. It was empty since class had started. He lifted the heavy camcorder and placed it in the open closet, pressing record. It was well hidden with just the lens showing but it was hard to see it.

Now all he had to do was get the coach.

It hadn’t been hard to get Coach Sandson into the locker room. He went into the gym and told him that it was his study hall period and wanted to help in gym.

Once inside the locker room, Coach Sandson changed into something terrifying.

“I knew you wanted me,” he said, walking towards him predatorily. 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I just was hoping to work in the gym maybe clean it.”

“Don’t lie to me, boy. You don’t have study hall this period.”

That surprised Justin. What kind of teacher had a student’s schedule memorized.

Justin steped back when Coach Sandson reached for him.

“Don’t be like that, you’ve been giving me the eye since you started here. Come on, I don’t have a lot of time.”

“Come on where?”

“To the shower, let’s just say I’ve always had a fantasy.”

Justin needed more on him. “What fantasy?”

“Don’t play coy with me, it doesn’t suit you. You on your knees in the shower however does.”

“On my knees?” Justin played dumb.

“Don’t play innocent with me, you have a mouth made for sucking cock.” Justin made sure to keep his back to the camera.

“I’m only 14, sir,” he said, loud enough for the camera to catch it.

“I know exactly how old you are.” He grabbed Justin’s arm…well Brian’s arm.

“No,” Justin said, yanking his arm back. Coma Justin was pretty strong.

Thankfully, before anything more could happen a short redheaded boy came in and said someone named Curtis fell and hurt their arm. After Sandson dashed out of the locker room, Justin went and got his treasure. The camera with the evidence on the tape.

Once back at the AV room, he made sure the tape didn’t show his face, he had to edit it a bit. He wanted the guy to pay but not at Brian’s expense. He knew he couldn’t give it to the school, Michael said they covered up Sandson’s abuse of Brian before. That left one choice. He labeled it with the school and Coach Sandson’s name.

The only problem was he wasn’t sure he could leave the school. He didn’t know the bracelet’s power but guessed it was linked to Brian and the reason he was stuck here because this is where he killed himself. An idea occurred to him. Michael. When he bell rang he, searched for the boy.

It didn’t take long, Michael was waiting at Brian/Justin’s locker.

“Are you my best friend?” Justin asked the boy.

“You know I am.”

“I need you to do something for me without asking any questions. Can you do that?”

The boy looked conflicted but then suddenly got a determined look on his face. “Yes.”

“I need you to skip the rest of the day and go turn this in to the police station. You need to do it now.”

“My mom would kill me,” the boy said before finally nodding. “Alright.”

“Don’t tell them who gave it to you, okay?”

“Fine, okay.”

Lunch took forever, he wasn’t taking the bracelet off. He wouldn’t abandon Brian now. He hoped Michael listened to him.

Halfway through gym he knew Brian’s best friend was a true one. Four cops and the school administration came into the gym.

Justin watched in glee as the child molester broke down in tears. He stopped smiling when two boys came forward with their own stories, Justin had just by chance overheard them talking to the police. He wondered how many there had been before and after Brian. Now they would be safe.

He felt a light a featherlight touch on his cheek, almost like a kiss, before he took off the bracelet. What had been an abandoned locker area earlier that morning was full of students using the lockers.

As he walked by the trophy case a smiling face of a familiar boy jumped out at him. It was a group picture of the 1988 Championship soccer team, led by their caption, Brian Kinney.

“He’s alive,” Justin said, smiling to himself.

For the first time since he had entered the school, he felt like he could breath. It was only better when he got to gym and his teacher was an old man named Dillard. He was so glad it wasn’t a coma dream.

 

                                         3 years later

 

Justin had finally got the nerve up to go to Liberty Ave. He had been back in Pittsburgh for two months already.

Sadly, halfway through his freshman year of high school his grandfather died. His mother moved with him and his sister to Connecticut to help his grandmother.

His grandmother wanted a new start after a few years and decided to move to Florida. That’s when his mother decided to move them back to Pittsburgh.

It was his senior year and his dad had given in and was paying for St. James again. Chris Hobbs was still a jerk but he had Daphne again. Now all he had to do was lose this pesky thing called virginity…he was a senior afterall. He didn’t want to be the weirdo virgin in college.

As he was trying to work up the courage to go into one of the clubs, a man approached him. The guy was creepy looking and acting. When he turned him down he told Justin to run home to mommy.

Just as he was about to try the place called Woody’s, a group of men came out of Babylon. His eyes locked on one of the men and he was transfixed as the guy came to him.

Justin’s breath caught. The familiar face, the one he still had dreams about. Brian Kinney. Older but alive and hale, even though he knew he was alive he still remembered the sad ghost boy. But he wasn’t a sad ghostly boy any longer, he was a gorgeous, confident man.

“Hey,” the man said.

“Hey,” Justin said back.

“This is going to sound like a horrible pickup line but it feels like I’ve been waiting forever for you. Sound crazy, right?”

“Not as crazy as you think.”

“Where are you headed?” Brian asked.

“No place special.”

“I can change that.”

 

 

 

 

The End.
Neverbreeze is the author of 9 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked The Boy with the Bracelet also liked 138 other stories.