- Text Size +

EMMETT

 

I’d been staying away from everyone lately. I felt like shit at how harsh I’d been with Brian, but it was more in hopes he would stop letting Michael ruin everything he’d built with Justin. After Ben died, I distanced myself from Deb and Michael. It started with the shit Michael was doing to Justin, but came to a head with me when Deb ordered us to dinner with her and Michael. The entire dinner was Deb pretty much telling us that we needed to rein in our partners, by standing by her and Michael’s edicts. All I could see was that they had a problem with Justin and were using Jenny’s birthday as another strike against him. What I don’t get is that Deb doesn’t want what Michael wants, which is Brian and Michael as a couple. At least she didn’t until Brian met Justin. Drew thought it was really just that Deb couldn’t manipulate Justin.

 

After Brian called to tell us about Michael’s home invasion, Drew and I agreed we were not going to be dragged into anything that didn’t directly affect us. So when Deb hadn’t started calling I wasn’t sure what to think. Blake texted that the bomb was about to explode and to take cover. Only, nothing so far. I’d been sort of out of the loop after talking to Brian the day he showed up with Michael, and I didn’t really know there were other problems happening. I’d promised Drew to stay out of things until Justin or Brian asked for help. When I opened my front door prepared for Deb, I didn’t really think much about it when Lindsay appeared at our house. It was the wrong day to quit my title of gossip queen, because apparently Brian was taking no prisoners.

 

“Mel left me again.” She sighs.

 

“I thought you two were doing well?” I asked, still trying to figure out why she was here.

 

“She found out about the money Brian was giving us. Only she said something that Brian might need to know about, I was hoping you could tell Brian to call me, he changed his number without telling me.” She tells me, as Drew went to answer the door.

 

Ted walked in, rolling his eyes when he saw Lindsay. He sat down without even greeting her.

 

“Honey, the only number I have for Brian would be the one you have.” I tell her.

 

“Could you try Gus?” She asks, and the bomb that is Ted went off.

 

“I think the bullshit you’ve already pulled on Gus was enough. What the hell were you thinking going to your son, for the shit you caused?” Ted asked.

 

“I… it… Brian and Justin weren’t happy with me, and…” Lindsay stuttered.

 

“Why would they be, when you and Mel showed up at their home, and pretty much gave Justin an ultimatum.” Ted tells her.

 

“Ultimatum?” I ask.

 

“Mel pretty much told Justin if he lets Brian stay, than Gus couldn’t. Not that it surprises me or most likely anyone else that Mel still can’t get over that Brian gave Lindsay what Mel couldn’t. In fact, let’s get the whole truth out there, because I’ve thought long and hard about this. Lindsay tried to hide the fact from Mel that Brian was giving her money. Want to know how Mel found out? Lindsay tried to cover it up by going to Michael, and when she somehow got outsmarted by Michael… She gave him the address to Justin’s new house.” Ted growled out.

 

“Are you fucking kidding me?” Drew asks.

 

“You don’t understand, I was trying to save my marriage.” Lindsay tell us.

 

“Which means what? That Brian and Justin’s marriage gets to suffer even more to save you? Jesus, if it isn’t Michael, it’s you.” I say, floored at what Brian’s ‘best friends’ do to him.

 

“Lindsay, since Emmett’s not telling you to leave, I will.” Drew tells her.

 

“I came here because Mel thinks she knows something that will cause more problems for Brian and Justin. I came here hoping to help.” Lindsay tells him, as Drew waves her to leave.

 

“I’m sure the only one you want to help is yourself.” Ted tells her.

 

“Emmett?” She looks to me.

 

“Brian and Justin need to work out their problems on their own. After hearing what you did, I’m not going to jump on your ship.” I tell her.

 

Lindsay started tearing up, like it would somehow get her something from us. Drew glared at her until she got up and started towards the door. He followed her, then stopped her before she left.

 

“Where is Jenny?” He asks.

 

“Angry, like everyone else is.” She tells us.

 

“WHERE is she?” Drew asks.

 

“I don’t know, she got upset when I asked her to stay home, then Mel came home and left pissed.” She tells Drew.

 

“Did she go with Mel?” I ask.

 

“Not that I know of, Mel took off without even asking where she was.” Lindsay tells us.

 

“You and Mel really think Gus would have been better off with you two, yet it’s likely neither of you even knows where Jenny went?” Ted asks, as dumbfounded as us.

 

“They aren’t babies anymore.” Lindsay says, leaving before Drew threw her out.

 

Ted pulled out his phone the second she left. “Mel, shut the fuck up. Is Jenny with you? …you know, if I was you I’d be wondering why you thought you and Lindsay should force Gus to come home, when neither of you seem to know where your daughter is.” Ted tells her, hanging up before making another call.

 

“Should we go look for her?” I ask Drew.

 

“She went to see Hunter. He’s going to let her stay with him for now.” Ted tells us.

 

“Did Michael get arrested?” I ask.

 

“Yes. But shit Emmett, I’m worried about him. Which I know sounds strange, but he really believes that Brian wanted him there.” Ted tells me.

 

“It’s not like we all didn’t know Michael still thinks he and Brian were destined to be together.” I tell him.

 

“He redecorated Brian and Justin’s bedroom. Actually, let me put it this way, anything in the bedroom that suggested Justin had ever been there was shredded.” Ted tells me.

 

“Did you tell Brian?” Drew asks.

 

“Not yet, I’ve been busy dealing with Michael. I let Brian know the house needed to be cleaned and that Michael was gone, but I just didn’t want to add any more. Justin and Brian are trying to work things out, and I didn’t want to add even more problems.” Ted tells me.

 

“Ted, those problems are still going to be there either way. For once I’m going to encourage you to interfere and find out what Mel seems to think she knows. The last thing they need is to be blindsided by her need to best Brian.” Drew tells him.

 

JUSTIN

 

My mother called, asking if we knew how big a mess Michael made of the house, but let Brian know she could get it cleaned in a couple of days and if he was serious about selling, she already had a couple people who would be interested in buying it. Brian told her get the best offer and sell it. My mom invited us out to dinner with her before hanging up. I was going to say no, but Brian told her yes before I could.

 

“Why did you say yes?” I ask.

 

“She’s helping me, when she could have told me to fuck off for hurting you. Dinner to your mother is her way of offering an olive branch.” He tells me.

 

“I think she feels bad that she was saying things.” I tell him.

 

“Out of everyone, I can excuse your mother. She’s protecting you, the way I would Gus or Cameron.” He tells me.

 

We were getting ready to go out, when Hunter showed up with Jenny in tow. I invited them to come with us, after Jenny called and at least told Mel where she was. Jenny called and Mel told her that I needed to call her to confirm the plans. Which didn’t make sense, but it was likely just Mel trying to be a pain in the ass. I went upstairs to grab a jacket and called her.

 

“Hi, I’m calling to let you know that Jenny is coming to dinner with me and my mother. Also Brian will be there, since my mother invited him too.” I tell her, adding extra sarcasm.

 

“I’m trying to be your friend here, and I hope you take what I’m about to say as a friend looking out for you. You need to ask Brian how Michael was paying for everything. Since the paperwork I was looking at tells a different story. One where it’s likely Brian was paying for Michael, while you worked your ass off to save Brian’s company.” She tells me.

 

I hung up, not pissed at Brian, but at Mel for not knowing when to give up. I thought about it and yes what she was saying bothered me, and I planned to ask Brian about it. If it was true, in the end were Mel or Lindsay any better for taking Brian’s money, the one thing he gave freely? I still find it funny they all think the only reason Brian’s company was thriving was because I stepped in. The truth was Brian hired competent people, who only needed me because I could sign off on campaigns. I won’t say that I didn’t bring in business, but the existing clients weren’t going anywhere. Brian made sure his clients knew his people were just as good as he was. Ted and Cynthia were overwhelmed because a lot of responsibility for the company usually fell on Brian, and with him not there they were seeing how much he took on himself. It took Cynthia, Ted, and me, to deal with the work that Brian was doing alone. It made me look back at the times when Brian would end up working late and understand it wasn’t always Michael causing the problems. It also made me want to apologize for not always understanding when he couldn’t come home for dinner.

 

The kids wanted to ride with Hunter to dinner. Hunter wanted to see Mel after dinner, and find out what they planned to do with Jenny, now that Mel apparently took off again. Since Brian and I were alone, I decided to mention what Mel told me.

 

“I guess Deb let Mel see Michael’s paperwork on the money Ben left him. She implied that you were likely paying for what Michael was doing.” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t pay his bills, if that’s what you're asking. I invested some of the money, so it would grow. He has pretty much what Ben started him out with.” He tells me, defending himself.

 

“Even if you did help him, Mel really has no room to talk. She can run around all she wants declaring she didn’t know Lindsay went to you, but she’s only lying to herself. Which I know because she spent years complaining about how little Michael contributed to Jenny’s upbringing. So if Lindsay was getting money from you, unless Mel can’t add, it would have been obvious that it was more than Michael ever gave them.” I tell him.

 

“I’m sure Wendy was squirreling away anything she didn’t want Mel to know about.” He tells me.

 

“Yet she made sure Mel saw what you gave when Gus lived with them.” I tell him.

 

“She likely saw it as showing Mel that she chose a better father than Mel did.” He tells me.

 

My mom had all of Gus and Cameron’s favorite foods waiting. She smiled sweetly before handing Brian a shake before dinner. Apparently Nick had told her to help fatten up Brian too. Brian drank it, not complaining, but likely because he understood his figure wasn’t important right now. Brian went into the kitchen with her, telling me he wanted her to know what was going on. I’d been surprised we hadn’t heard from Deb yet. I knew Brian was checking with Ted, and I decided to call Emmett and let him know the new numbers to reach me at.

 

“Hey Baby.” Emmett answered.

 

“I wanted to give you the new numbers, I’ll text Brian’s to you.” I tell him.

 

“Did Deb show up?” He asks.

 

“Nope. You haven’t heard from her or Michael?” I ask.

 

“Not a word, which is strange. You know what they’re like.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Maybe she realized there wasn’t any excuse for Michael breaking into the house?” I question.

 

“Yeah, Deb not making an excuse for Michael? That’s a new one. How are things with Brian?” He asks. “You don’t have to tell me, it’s none of my business.” He adds.

 

I got up and went outside. “We’re trying right now. He agreed to counseling on his own, which until now, I was like him; why bother. I know I at least want to salvage this if I can, and I need everyone to back off Brian. He knows he did things wrong and doesn’t need to be reminded of them. I didn’t exactly do everything right either. You told me from the beginning to tell him what was going on, but instead of trusting him to listen, I stayed silent.” I tell him.

 

“Whatever you need us to do we will, tell Brian I’m cheering him on.” Emmett tells me before hanging up.

 

Brian was standing behind me when I turned around. I could see the minute he wanted to take the largest amount of blame for what happened.

 

“No. You fucked up, but so did I, neither one of us is innocent. I couldn’t see that when you had the choice, you still stayed with me.” I tell him.

 

“It wasn’t a choice for me, you owned me the minute we met.” Brian tells me.

 

“Not to bring him up, but it’s been really quiet.” I tell him.

 

“Don’t bring him up, he doesn’t have a place in our lives anymore.” Brian tells me.