- Text Size +

JUSTIN

 

Brian and I left Mel to call Lindsay and tell her about moving into the old house. When Brian came up with that idea, there was a part of me that hoped that Lindsay wouldn’t jump at the chance. It wasn’t like I thought she’d refuse, it was more that I didn’t want her to get what she wanted, because she had fucked Mel over which would hurt Jenny. Brian told me it was a means to an end, nothing more. 

 

Hunter was going to meet us at Kinnetik, since he was bringing Jenny with him from school. We needed to talk to Jenny about everything, so she could understand what was going on in her life. Brian and I realized after Gus’s appointment that we couldn’t protect the kids to the point of ignorance. Jenny needed to know that Deb and Michael were going to try to take custody of her and why they thought they could. Brian was answering his emails while we waited, and I was making sure Cody wasn’t going to run into any problems replacing me. 

 

“I don’t want to be here.” Jenny tells Hunter from outside the office.

 

“Jenny, can we please hear them out?” Hunter tells her.

 

“Why bother when I already decided what I want to do?” Jenny asks him.

 

“Because I don’t care what Michael is telling you, it’s not a good idea to stay with him.” Hunter tells her.

 

“I’m tired of everyone putting him down. He told me he was sorry for not spending time with me, and I refuse to live with Mama since she hurt Mom.” Jenny tells him, coming in and flopping down in a chair. “I won’t believe him either. He’s afraid of my dad since Brian would rather be with my dad than him.” Jenny tells Hunter, refusing to look at me.

 

“So nothing Justin did for you matters?” Hunter asks her.

 

“I didn’t know I owed him something for his generosity.” Jenny tells him.

 

“You don’t, I didn’t do anything to make you feel like you owe me for it.” I tell her.

 

“Michael showed up at school and talked to Jenny. In case you can’t tell.” Hunter tells us.

 

“At least I got to hear that it wasn’t his fault that they hadn’t seen me. They really don’t understand what your problem is with Dad, it’s not cool that you took his side.” She tells Hunter, pointing at me. “Unlike what Mama and everyone else made it sound like, I also think it’s really shitty that you won’t let my dad and Brian talk to each other.” She tells me.

 

“Are you done?” Brian asks, when she nodded, he continued. “Justin isn’t making me do anything, just expecting me to honor the vows I took when I married him. I’m the one who decided that I could no longer have your father in my life. And that’s because he doesn’t want me to have anyone else other than him in my life. Just so you know, that includes your brother Gus and Cameron. If you want to have a problem with anyone, it will be with me.” Brian tells her.

 

“Hunter told me you guys want me to live with my moms, after my mother hurt Mom, Dad and Grandma. I won’t live with someone who abuses people.” Jenny tells him.

 

“You’d rather live with them?” Brian asks her.

 

“My Dad told me he could be there for me. If Gus can forgive you, then my dad deserves the same chance. He’s lost all his friends because everyone is siding with Justin.” She tells him.

 

“That isn’t true.” Gus tells her.

 

“How do you know, Dad told me that until Justin came, you loved my Dad. Then Justin made you think you couldn’t like my dad because Justin hated him.” Jenny told him.

 

“Jus never made me choose between him and anyone else in my life. And he’s never been anything but nice to you. So don’t start shitting on the man who loved us and always made sure we knew he was there for us, even before he met my dad. You seem to forget you went to Justin, wanting a party, because your dad and grandmother said your birthday wasn’t as important as Michael’s supposed grieving, he made sure you got what you wanted. Jus looked out for us from the day he met us, so don’t rewrite history because your dad is pissed that my dad loves Jus.” Gus tell her.

 

“Then why was he with my dad, instead of with Jus last year?” She asks.

 

“You don’t want to know the answer, because it wouldn’t be what your Dad told you.” Brian tells her.

 

“You aren’t going to tell me anything?” Jenny asks me, and I could see she wanted me to do something that would make anything Michael and Deb told her true about me.

 

“No, if you want your dad and grandmother in your life, I can understand that. It’s just we don’t think it’s the best thing for you. You can hate me if you want to, if it helps you in some way, but I won’t hate you because I loved you for too long to ever be able to do anything but love you.” I tell her.

 

“I don’t know what to do.” She tells Gus and Hunter, trembling.

 

“It’s okay to love your dad. Just don’t make him into someone he isn’t, just because you want him to be what Ben was to you. I love my dad, but it doesn’t change that he did things that I don’t understand. He knows he did, and neither of us are going to rewrite history to change it, the way you’re trying to. My dad isn’t blaming your dad or anyone else, he’s facing what he did to us. I don’t like your dad, but not because of Jus. I don’t like him because of the way he made you and Hunter feel by ignoring you. I know right now you want to believe him, because life with the moms wasn’t easy.” Gus tells her.

 

“You don’t understand what it’s like to be me. You had Justin when everything got crazy. I got stuck with the moms after Ben died. I had to run away just to see Hunter. So I don’t know what to do, because of what Dad told me.” She tell us.

 

“What did Michael tell you?” Hunter asks. “Jenny, just tell me. No matter what, I’ll do what I can to make sure it doesn’t happen.

 

“Jenny, we want to help, but can’t if you don’t tell us.” I tell her.

 

“He said if I wanted to still see Hunter I had to insist on living with him, because they could make it so the judge won’t want me around Hunter.” She tells him.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me that?” Hunter asks her.

 

“I didn’t want you to know what they said about you. If I don’t live with you, I have to go to either Dad or the moms. I told him I would live with Gus and his dads. He told me they didn’t want me because Justin hates him. I know it’s not true, because Gus told me why, but he scared me that he would take Hunter away too.” Jenny tells him, crying.

 

“He will never make me leave you.” Hunter tells her.

 

“But Mama’s in trouble for hurting him and Mom.” Jenny tells us.

 

“She didn’t do anything to your mother. We’re trying to help Mel prove it, but until then we need you to agree to stay with your moms at our old house.” Brian tells her.

 

“Why are you letting them stay at the old house?” Gus asks.

 

“To get your Mom to tell the truth about what happened, and make sure Jenny doesn’t go anywhere she doesn’t want to.” Brian tells him.

 

“Tell them what happened, they deserve to know.” Hunter tells Brian.

 

“Only if Jenny wants to know. It doesn’t make your father look good.” I tell Jenny.

 

“What did he do?” Gus asks.

 

“Mel only hit Michael because he hurt your mom.” Brian tells him.

 

“He hit Mom?” Gus asks, getting up as if he was about to hunt down Michael.

 

“We believe that’s what happened. The only thing is, the only people who know are the four of them. Lindsay didn’t accuse Mel of anything, but she also didn’t deny that Mel did what Michael and Deb told the police. Gus, you will not go near them, anymore than I can.” Brian tell him.

 

“Why wouldn’t Mom tell the truth?” Gus asks.

 

“She didn’t lie, she just didn’t say anything.” I tell him.

 

“Which is just as good as lying, by letting Mama take the blame for what someone else did to her.” Gus tells us.

 

“We know, but we need your mother to tell the truth because right now it looks like Mel is an abusive spouse.” I tell him.

 

“Mama might say stuff that isn’t great, but she’s never raised her hands to us. I could see her knocking the shit out of someone for touching us or Mom though.” Gus tells us.

 

“She admits that she did hit Michael, just not for the reason she was arrested for, but unless we can get your Mom to admit it, Michael could get what he wants.” Brian tells him.

 

“I could try to get her to tell the truth.” Gus tells us,

 

“No, you and Jenny will not get in the middle of our problems. We’ve done that enough to the two of you.” Mel says from the doorway. She knelt next to Gus in front of Jenny. “Baby, if I have to give Justin and Brian custody of you, you will not have to live with your dad, I promise you.” Mel tells Jenny.

 

“Why should I believe you? You and Mom promised everything would get better but it never does.” Jenny tells her.

 

“Because I know I made a lot of mistakes, but I won’t continue to let you and Gus pay for them.” Mel tells us. “Justin and Brian suggested we use the house they used to live in, and you don’t have to worry about losing Hunter, because he plans to move in with us too.” She tells Jenny.

 

“Mom is going to live there too?” Jenny asks.

 

“It’s to help get me out of the trouble I caused when I didn’t think, but reacted. Something I do well, just ask Brian.” Mel tells her, smiling.

 

“I always liked that house, it will be like living in a castle.” Jenny tells her.

 

“It’s time a princess lives there.” Brian tells her.

 

“So, are you willing?” Mel asks Hunter and Jenny.

 

“As long as Hunter and Gus think it’s a good idea.” Jenny tells her.

 

After Gus and Hunter told her yes, Mel wanted to take the kids and Hunter out to lunch with her. I had to practically sit on Brian when he wanted to go do what he told Gus he couldn’t do. I got him in the car and drove us to our new home. As soon as Cameron ran to Brian I felt better, because he wasn’t going to go kill someone when our son demanded attention.

 

I wanted to scream, because with the restraining order there was nothing either of us could do to Michael or Deb. Right now Michael was on the chopping block more than Deb with me. The fucking asshole scared Jenny by threatening to take Hunter away from her. I wanted to drop him in the middle of a jungle with a few hostels who could make sure he was never seen again.

 

“Okay, so what is that look about?” Nick asks me.

 

So I told him everything, because I needed someone to keep me from doing what Brian wouldn’t let Gus do, and I wouldn’t let Brian do. Then explained how the team could take Michael with them on their next trip to the wrong country.

 

“I have an offer that might be easier than kidnapping for my team.” He tells me.

 

“What?” I ask.

 

“Daphne called in a favor, and if you and Brian want, you can use our beach house, and Brian can do his treatment at the hospital there. The oncologist is the best in the field and willing to help because Daphne asked. Brian doesn’t need all this shit while he’s dealing with everything else.” He tells me.

 

“Gus is still in school here.” I tell him.

 

“I talked to your mom, and she is willing to let Gus stay with her, and bring him up on weekends to see you guys. I would have offered to stay, but I have to be with you at all times. I have someone coming here to stay with Gus and your mom, so you don’t have to worry about Gus being here.” He tells me.

 

“We still have appointments with Alex and Dr Turner.” I tell him.

 

“Once a week, not everyday. If they can make it Fridays it will give Brian a few days to deal with chemo before he spills his guts to the shrink.” Nick tells me.

 

“I’ll talk to Brian and see what he thinks.” I tell him.

 

“I’ll let Daphne know it’s a go.” He tells me.

 

“I didn’t say yes.” I tell him.

 

“Please, the only reason you're arguing is because you're still pissed that you can’t show Michael exactly how lucky he was that Mel hit him and not you. Do what I do when I need to let off steam, make Brian’s night.” He tells me, smirking.

 

“Do I need to tell Daphne she and I should be worried about you and Brian? I mean you’ve been playing Florence Nightingale to him lately.” I joke, getting the one finger salute in return. 

 

“Justin, do not make me have to chase you.” He tells me, knowing me well enough to know I want to deal with the shitheads.

 

“I figured out a way so that you don’t have to.” I tell him.

 

“Just warn me.” He sighs.

 

“The less you know the easier it is to be able to deny.” I joke.

 

It’s why I didn’t want Brian involved either. If Michael wants to believe I’m the problem, then I have no problem being exactly what he thinks I am. It wasn’t like I hadn’t invested in real estate before. Not that I plan to run the diner, just make sure Deb finds out that not everyone will kiss her ass. The last guy was scared of his own shadow, and let Deb dictate everything to him. Since I was investing, I also bought the building that Michael’s store, that he left closed most of the year and didn’t pay the rent for is in, well now it belongs to me. I put all his collectables on ebay and set up an account for Jenny, since it was likely Michael would be broke within a year.

 

If they piss me off any more then I’ll enforce the part of the restraining order that says they can’t be on my property. Which will soon be all the places they love to be on Liberty Avenue.