- Text Size +

HUNTER

 

Lindsay was really not as good as Justin about being subtle. What she didn’t get was that it wouldn’t matter what she hinted at, I wouldn’t abandon my sister and Mel so she could play house to impress her parents. She almost cracked when she called Ted to find out what the budget was to redecorate the house, and was likely screaming in her head, while smiling as if nothing bothered her. Ted attempted to apologize for throwing me under the bus, but I told him it wasn’t like I planned to keep it a secret that Brian and Justin put me in charge of the house, and that any expenses were to be taken care of by the account in my name. I suggested Mel, but she told me to remember her track record with Lindsay. She told me to see the trust and faith Brian and Justin had in me was earned. 

 

One thing I hated was shopping for groceries, and even more when it involved Lindsay coming along. I’ve always had a problem with the money Justin gave me, but he and I talked about it and he told me he was investing in my future and that I should shut up and see it that way. Lindsay on the other hand, thought it meant buy the best of everything. I’d talked to Gus and knew he was reluctant to come to dinner tonight, but wanted to check on Jenny and Mel. I respected Mel for figuring out it was time to put her kids first. Unfortunately my respect for Lindsay, which wasn’t great to begin with, was lowering each day I lived in the same house with her. This shopping trip was eye opening. Lindsay threw things in the cart like price was no object. Which, with the money in the household account, was true, but I refused to spend money on things that I had to look up on my phone to figure out what they were. I finally told her she needed to get her own cart, while I finished shopping for the things Jenny, Mel and I would eat. She didn’t get that I wasn’t spending money on food for Mummy and Daddy. If she wanted to feed her parents dinner than she could do it and pay for it. She’d been sly about her parents coming for dinner, waiting until she knew Gus would be back. Neither Gus nor I got why, since it’s not like her parents even acted like Gus existed most of the time. I wasn’t sure why she wanted Jen there, only that Lindsay ignored everything that pointed to Jen not liking her much.

 

I turned the corner to another aisle and there stood Deb, staring at the shelf like it had the answers to her life on it. I should have just turned and walked away before she saw me. She stared at me almost as if she didn’t know who I was.

 

“Hunter, don’t you think it’s time you stop acting like we didn’t take you in and give you a family?” She waited to see if I said anything, but the guilt thing didn’t work on me, the way it did on everyone else. “Michael’s been impossible, and I would appreciate you remembering that he’s your father and supported you.” Again, waiting for me to say something. “I need you to talk to Brian and tell him Michael didn’t mean to hit Lindsay, but he’s been under a lot strain since Brian’s husband made it impossible for Michael to even call and talk to Brian. I’m worried about my son, and think that you should show him support. I don’t understand how you could turn your back on Michael, yet expect him to pay for everything for you.” She glares.

 

I started laughing, not being able to stop. Michael taking care of anyone was that big of a joke to me. I managed to stop and decided to tell her the truth, not that I expected her to believe me. In order for that to happen she’d have to admit Michael wasn’t her perfect angel.

 

“I haven’t expect Michael to do anything for me since Ben died. Guess what? I was right not to, since he hasn’t done anything at all for me.” I tell her.

 

“Of course he has. How else could you pay for college and whatever else you’ve been doing instead of helping out your family?” She asks me.

 

“Ben cashed in his retirement pension since he knew he wasn’t going to make it to retirement and paid for my college. Justin, you remember him, or maybe you don’t since you can’t seem to say his name, loaned me the money to keep me from having to work, telling me to concentrate on getting my degree. Michael didn’t do anything you seem to think he did, other than scare the shit out of Jenny.” I tell her.

 

“How could telling her that we love her and want to raise her, scare her. Between Michael and I she’ll be raised to value family. Something Lindsay and Mel forget the minute they cheat on each other. I don’t want Jenny to be raised by two people who lie to each other and everyone else.” She says, as if forgetting she had her own lies she couldn’t even own up to.

 

“What did Michael tell you about what he said to Jenny?” I ask.

 

“He told her he wanted her to have the same kind of loving relationship I gave him. If Jenny lives with us she’ll get that from us. You should know that, since we were offering you the same thing before you started treating us like we didn’t matter to you anymore.” She tells me.

 

“I saw what you did to people. The minute Vic told you his opinion of how you treated Brian, you  banished him from your life. You made it so everyone thought Justin was an asshole because Brian loved him. Then you went out of your way to make sure Brian knew you didn’t welcome Justin in your house. What were you trying to accomplish? How about I guess? You wanted to make sure Brian didn’t leave you dealing with your son’s crap. You know what bothers me the most? You don’t even realize the shit you do, because in your mind, nothing comes before Michael. You accuse Mel and Lindsay of lying, but you conveniently forget you lied to Michael all his life. It’s really sick that there is a man who died a hero, but is being used to keep you from having to tell the truth to anyone. You expect me to be grateful for the roof Ben provided, and I am, but don’t try to somehow make it sound like Michael wanted me in his life, because for once Ben defied Michael and made him take me in. Michael was too busy worrying I’d steal one of his collectables. You were too busy treating me like I owe you, the way you think Brian does for letting him get away from the shit his parents did to him.” I tell her.

 

“You should at least be grateful that we didn’t leave you with the crack whore you called a mother.” She tells me.

 

“Why? I’d already left her behind. In fact, wasn’t it you who told Michael and Ben that there was no replacing a mother’s love? You didn’t even bother to find out anything about my mother, but then, you abuse people just as much as she abused me. You just do it in a different way, by preying on their emotions.” I tell her.

 

“I’m nothing like her, I love people and only want the best for them.” She tells me, outraged.

 

“No you don’t, because it would mean you’d have to see Michael isn’t the best for anyone. You’d figure out that there is something wrong with Michael and his obsession with Brian. Michael has problems that you ignore, and he’s getting worse because you are continually making excuses for him. He hit Lindsay, and you covered it up, letting Mel take the blame. Do you know how hard it was for me to watch Ben’s love for Michael die a little every time Michael proved over and over that the only person who mattered to him was Brian? Michael made Ben’s life miserable, and you turned a blind eye to it. Ben wasn’t blameless, because he settled for what he thought he could have, something that I won’t do. I won’t let you or anyone else make me feel like I owe you my life. Why I’m even bothering to tell you is really anyone’s guess, since I’m sure you can’t see beyond what you want to believe. Wait, I know why, because I want you to leave Jenny out of this, she doesn’t need the kind of love you offer to people. She doesn’t need to feel like unless she caters to Michael’s ass she isn’t good enough in your eyes. It’s what you did to Vic and Brian, and I won’t let that happen to my sister.” I tell her.

 

“Is that what JUSTIN made you believe?” She asks.

 

“He didn’t have to make me believe anything, I lived it. If you try to take Jenny, I’ll take the money JUSTIN would give me if I asked and fight you for her.” I tell her, walking off.

 

“I’m ready Hunter.” Lindsay tells me as I head to the register. She has a cart full of high price items.

 

“Go ahead, while I pay for these things. I’ll see you at the car.” I tell her, not willing to pay for food that she bought to impress her parents.

 

“But I need you to…”

 

“I promised Brian to only use the money he left me in charge of on things related to the needs of the people living in the house. I won’t pay for things that you bought for a dinner that doesn’t have anything to do with a household expense. It’s something you shouldn’t expect, since they were generous enough to save you money that you’d have to pay if you didn’t move into their house.” I tell her, leaving her to do what she wanted.

 

She came out a few minutes later with only a few bags and huffed as I had just left the trunk open for her, not offering to help.

 

TED

 

Today was not my day. First it was Deb not getting that Kinnetik was considered a no-go zone for her. It took telling her that Carl would be on his way if she didn’t walk out immediately. I followed her to the door and of course was told that I needed to help Michael. My answer was to open the front door and close it when she walked out. I waited until the security guard warned her not to come back. Cynthia shook her head and told me next time she’d be escorted out by the police. She wasn’t happy that I didn’t call, but Carl needed a break too.

 

An hour later, Michael had called my cell a dozen times, asking me where Brian was. His last message was a warning that he would be waiting at my door if I didn’t call him back. I’d already discussed it with Blake and we both agreed that we needed to move, for our sanity. Which is why Jen showed up with a few houses for us to look at. She got a call and went into Brian’s office to look up a listing for a client. Lindsay showed up and walked into my office, just missing Jen. She started out acting concerned about all the responsibility we foisted on Hunter.

 

“He really shouldn’t have to deal with everything, and I think it’s awful that you and Brian expect him to. He has school and he can’t even enjoy it like a normal college student.” She tells me.

 

“Hunter agreed to help Mel when you let her take the blame for what Michael did.” I tell her, not willing to sugar coat the shit.

 

“I didn’t know what to do, Michael was going to make Brian and Justin think I had an ulterior motive for not destroying Brian’s last donation. I didn’t know if Brian would believe me, since he didn’t believe Justin over Michael.” She tells me, sniffling.

 

“I doubt that would have been a problem unless you ended up pregnant. Of course now you don't have to worry about it at all, Brian was able to return control over how it was used, to him.” Jen tells her, which Lindsay didn’t look happy about.

 

“Hopefully he won’t think he and Justin need another child to cover up the problems in their marriage.” Lindsay tells her.

 

“They are dealing with their problems first, and once they do, then I’ll be happy to be a grandmother. If that is what he and Justin decide.” Jen tells her.

 

“I actually came here to talk to Ted, and maybe you can help me. I don’t understand why Brian would put everything on Hunter when Mel and I should be the ones in charge of our lives.” She tell her.

 

“If you and Mel managed things better, then I would agree. Brian was worried about Jenny, and knew Hunter would put her needs above his own. You and Mel need time to deal with what happened to cause you two to separate again. This way you don’t have to worry about things other than fixing things with your children and Mel. Ted can’t help you, because it’s already been agreed that I take over if Hunter needs a break.” Jen tells her.

 

“I guess my life is at your and Hunter’s whims. I wanted to repair my relationship with my parents too, for Gus’s sake. They are his real grandparents, and it’s not fair to you that we expect you to take on Gus too.” She tells Jen.

 

“I might not be related by blood, but it doesn’t change that he’s means just as much to me as Cameron does. Do you really think bringing your parents around is the right thing to do when there’s already enough issues you need to deal with? I’ll be honest, Gus really isn’t interested in them and I doubt either of them cares any more than they have in the last eighteen years since Gus was born.” Jen tells her.

 

“She’s right, why try to force them into Gus’s life when they weren’t interested when he was born.” I tell her.

 

“I thought Jen could help, I planned to invite you too. I think they need to see what they’re missing by seeing what you have with Gus.” Lindsay tells her, pouring on the bullshit.

 

“What does Mel think about having them over?” Jen asks.

 

“I didn’t plan to have Mel with us. Mel has always been uncomfortable with seeing the life I led before her. Plus, my parents wouldn’t accept Jenny, and I don’t want Jenny to be hurt by the way they might treat her.” She tell her.

 

“Where are you planning on having this dinner? Because I really don’t see how you hide two people, or three, who also live in the house, since I doubt you planned to have Hunter there.” Jen asks.

 

“It’s why I wanted to talk to Ted about me controlling our finances. Right now Hunter is being impossible about things. If Mel or I were in charge then Mel could take Jenny and Hunter out for the night while I work on my parents.” She tells us.

 

“Why couldn't you do that with the money you and Mel have? The money Brian and Justin put aside wasn’t to entertain you but to lessen some of the burdens.” I tell her.

 

“Well fine, I guess we don’t need to discuss it anymore. I just worried about Hunter.” Lindsay says getting up, acting like it didn’t matter to her.

 

“Hunter is doing great, so worry about Jenny and Gus.” Jen warns.

 

I waited until Lindsay left, turning to see Jen isn’t happy at all. “If there’s a problem, don’t hesitate to call me. Look over the listings with Blake and we’ll go look at the ones you like next week. I can speed up the closing if you need me to.” Jen tells me.

 

“Do I look that worn out?” I ask.

 

“I’m trying to prevent you from looking worn out. Next time, call Carl.” Jen tells me.

 

“Cynthia told.” I grumble.

 

“She doesn’t have a soft heart where Deb is concerned, and neither do I. I told Brian I would handle things and if you need me to do it for you, then call.” Jen tells me.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian was over the nausea in time to take Gus back to my mom’s house. He wanted to check on things with Ted, and offered to have him and Blake over to the house before we left to go back. We were planning to stay at the beach house until the treatment was over, but there were still things we had to deal with in Pittsburgh. Nick told me about Daphne, and at first I was upset that she told Brian but not me. I got over it when she told me it was because Brian didn’t hover the way I do sometimes. It made me worry that I was hovering too much over Brian. Brian rolled his eyes when I asked.

 

“If things were reversed, I’d be even worse than you. At first it bothered me, but only because you’d run yourself ragged trying to take care of me. Only I know you need to be able to do things, the way I would need to if it was you. So hover away, because I need you to.” He tells me, kissing me.

 

Ted and Blake came over while Gus was packing a bag to stay with my mom. Ted smiled at me as he went into the living room to see Brian, but I could see that he was stressed.

 

“Anything I need to know?” I ask, checking to see if Michael bought anything else.

 

“Lindsay’s been attempting to sweet talk Ted into setting up an account. She thinks Hunter shouldn’t be responsible for things around the house. Jen showed up to give Ted the specs on… well she showed up in time to shut Lindsay down.” Blake tells me.

 

“What is my mother showing Ted?” I ask.

 

“Ted and I are thinking about moving out of Pittsburgh. Not far, just not so close to other people.” He tells me.

 

“Is he planning to quit?” I ask.

 

“No. He wants to make me happy. Michael keeps showing up and harassing both of us to find out where you and Brian are. He told us that he knew you two weren’t here, and went ballistic when no one would tell him where you two went. Ted reminded him he isn’t supposed to come near any of you, which Michael didn’t take well. Justin, Ted said he started talking to himself and made it sound like he planned to get rid of everything that took Brian from him.” Blake tells me.

 

“Please tell me Ted isn’t telling Brian any of this. Brian is already worried enough about protecting me and the kids. It worries him that he can’t take care of us right now.” I tell him.

 

“Ted asked me to tell you and let you decide what to tell Brian.” He tells me.

 

“Tell me what?” Brian asks, as he and Ted come in.

 

“Michael’s causing problems for Ted and Blake.” I tell him.

 

“How?” He asks.

 

“Showing up, asking where you are. Wishing I’d disappear. It’s nothing new.” I tell him.

 

“What happened at Michael’s house?” Brian asks Ted.

 

“The kitchen will need to be redone, but otherwise, nothing that makes it unlivable. He’s thinks we didn’t tell you.” Ted tells him.

 

“Where is he?” Brian asks.

 

“Not sure. After he got arrested he said he had things he needed to do and disappeared. Deb’s been trying to find him.” Blake tells us.

 

“How do you know?” Ted ask him.

 

“She showed up at my clinic, demanding that we help her find Michael.” Blake tells him.

 

“Fuck, I’m sorry. I should have dealt with her.” Ted tells him.

 

“It’s not your fault or Brian’s that she does the things she does. When I told you to choose, it was because I was tired of seeing the shit they do to you. I got tired of watching you tear yourself in two to be everything for everyone.” Blake tells him.

 

“I’ll get someone to find out where he is.” Nick tell us.

 

“Thanks.” Brian says, relieved.

 

“Are you really that worried about him?” I ask Brian.

 

“If anything happened to you… “

 

“I feel the same way.” I tell him.