- Text Size +

HUNTER

 

Gus came in with Jen and headed straight for Jenny’s room, ignoring his mother when she called for him to come in the kitchen. Lindsay was driving everyone crazy with her cleaning and demands that we try not to mess up the house. I almost asked her if it was a joke. Until this idea of having her parents over started, she was the one who didn’t pick up after herself, or even bother to do laundry. I really don’t think she realized there weren’t magic fairies that took care of everything, at least that’s what I decided to believe, instead of the fact that Lindsay was really the person she’d become lately. She and Mel didn’t even try to talk to each other, instead Mel went to her sessions without complaint and pretended Lindsay wasn’t even in the same room. 

 

It was only when Jenny was in the same room that Mel and Lindsay interacted, and neither of them were fooling Jenny or anyone else. I offered Mel an ear to bend, because for the first time in a long time she wasn’t trying to find a way to blame anyone else for her problems. She needed someone, the way I did at the funeral. She told me that one of the things that bothered her was when she realized in her sessions that somewhere after meeting Lindsay she no longer had friends outside of Lindsay’s chosen friends. She still had her friends at first, and then as time went on she managed to alienate each person who fell outside of Lindsay’s requirements of friends. 

 

“What was wrong with your friends?” I asked.

 

“It’s really funny, but they were a lot like Brian, before Justin. Lindsay didn’t like them for the same reason she loved Brian. In fact, the only friend we agreed about was Justin. He didn’t get involved in our lives, but I think he knew that we were just going through the motions, as if the problems we ran from weren’t still there in the back of our minds. He gave Gus and Jenny a distraction from what they were dealing with at home. Just like Ted, I screwed up my friendship with Justin.” She tells me.

 

“Mel, there’s always a way back. Show them both that the things you did to drive them off are no longer part of the person your working on becoming.” I tell her.

 

Mel and I decided to let Lindsay have her dinner in the dining room. It’s not like it bothered either of us, or that we wanted to watch the games Lindsay and her parents like to play with each other. Mel made us dinner and we planned to eat in the living room, away from the dining room. Lindsay didn’t say a word about it, only commenting that Mel must of given up being vegan along with their marriage. Mel’s answer hit the mark. “I have nothing against meat, which apparently you don’t either, depending on the day.” Mel told her, flipping the chops she was making.

 

Lindsay didn’t say anything about us leaving while her parents were over, just set the dining room table with six place settings. At first I thought she wanted Mel to eat with them, but when Justin arrived with Jen so he could talk to me, Lindsay told him she would love to have him join her and her parents for dinner.

 

“Sorry, but Brian and I have plans tonight. I only came to see that Hunter wasn’t being overburdened by the responsibilities we put on him.” Justin tells her.

 

“I hope I didn’t make you think I meant it as anything but concern that Hunter is putting his life on hold when he shouldn’t have to. With everything going on, I wanted to work on repairing the relationships in my life, and I didn’t want to subject Hunter to our problems.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“Let me assure you that if Hunter felt it was a problem, Brian and I had already made alternate plans on how things would be done.” Justin tells her, walking out of the house.

 

I followed him out the door, since he came over to talk to me. “I can handle it.” I assured him.

 

“I know you can, I really just wanted to know how things have been going for Jenny.” He tells me.

 

“She’s doing better now that she knows she doesn’t have to do anything she doesn’t want to. I talked to Deb but I doubt it did any good.” I tell him.

 

“Ryan called me and told me she hasn’t had any luck getting anyone to listen to her.” He tells me.

 

“Are you planning to let it out that you own the diner?” I ask him.

 

“It’s going to come out soon anyway, and if you want, I’ll keep you out of it.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t care what anyone will think, you agreed that I could start working off the loan.” I tell him.

 

“You’re as stubborn as I am. If anyone gives you a hard time, call Cynthia and she’ll deal with anything you can’t. Just trust your instincts about people.” He tells me.

 

Lindsay’s parents pulled in and Nancy jumped out of the car, walking towards Justin. “Justin, Lindsay told us she knew you. I’m so glad to finally meet you and thank-you for taking such an interest in our grandson.” She tells him, smiling towards me. Which just said it all about how this evening was going to go.

 

“I’m sure when you see Gus, you’ll be surprised at how much he grew up in the last eighteen years.” Justin tells her.

 

“Oh yes, sorry we were just excited that you would be here tonight. My daughter Lynette is planning a benefit and we were hoping to talk you into donating something to raise funds for a worthy cause.” She tells him.

 

“Sorry if you were told I was going to be here, but I didn’t have any plans to be. I’m sure Lindsay was confused, since she invited my mother to be here. Have a good evening and make sure Gus does too.” He tells her, before leaving.

 

GUS    

 

I knew if I told Jus and Nana I didn’t want to be here they would have let me stay home, but I was curious about my mom’s parents. Not because I expected them to suddenly regret never bothering to get to know me, but because my mother couldn’t see that what she wanted from them wasn’t going to happen. 

 

It’s weird, because when they came in, they were formal with mom. It wasn’t the hugs I was used to when I saw my mom. In fact, as I grew up it was just embarrassing to have her all over me. So watching her with her parents made me see that maybe my mom had issues that caused her to do some of the things she did. 

 

When they greeted Nana next, I could tell Nana wasn’t really interested in what they were talking about, but she answered their questions. Then I saw my mom get upset when they congratulated Nana about Jus getting married to my Dad. Mom looked like someone kicked her when her mother told Nana that she must be proud that her son married well, and was told by her daughter, not my mom, that they also were raising two children while being as successful as they are. At this point, I realized they were complete assholes and had to wonder why Mom even gave a crap about them.

 

“They were lucky to have Gus around to show them they wanted more children.” Nana says, smiling at me.

 

“Both Ron and I have always wanted to have a closer relationship with our grandson.” Nancy tells her.

 

“Yes, unfortunately Lindsay seems to always have reasons to keep us from knowing him. Then of course, she did like she always does and left someone else to deal with her responsibilities. Gus has been lucky to have such wonderful fathers.” Ron tells her, with a warning look at my mom.

 

“We couldn’t believe it when Lynette told us that Justin Taylor was raising our grandson.” Nancy tells her, all but ignoring my mom about to blow.

 

“Mel and Lindsay wanted Gus to have the opportunity to be a big brother to Cameron as well as to Jenny. Justin used to spend all his phone calls telling me about how wonderful Gus was and when he married Brian he was thrilled that Lindsay and Mel let Gus live with them. Since it was hard for both of them to let him go.” Nana tells them.

 

“We just feel it makes us more family towards you and Justin.” Nancy tell her. 

 

“Does it?” My mom whispered.

 

“Well of course. Gus was given the opportunity to be around people we had hoped you could have cultivated in your circle.” Nancy tells her.

 

“Lindsay always had this unfortunate ability to bring the wrong people into her life.” Ron tells Jen.

 

“Such as who?” Nana asks.

 

“It wasn’t that we had a problem with Mel, just that Lindsay wanted to flaunt her association with Mel at times when it wasn’t appropriate. It didn’t matter to her that it was Lynette’s day, she had to ruin it by bringing people who couldn’t behave appropriately, then she proposed during Lynette’s moment. It was really rather embarrassing for everyone, including Mel, at the time.” Nancy tell her.

 

“I only brought Emmett and Ted because you and Lynette didn’t want anyone to know I was with Mel, and it’s surprising that you’re telling Jen you wanted to get to know Gus, but didn’t want him at the wedding where anyone would see he existed.” Mom tells her.

 

“It wasn’t that we didn’t want anyone to know Gus existed. Just that you tend to forget everything isn’t about you. Gus didn’t need to be used for you to show off, when Lynette should have been the one to shine that night.” Nancy corrected her.

 

“You never once acknowledged that Mel and I were together. Yet, because Justin is in the right social sphere, you’re okay with the fact that he married Brian, a man?” Mom asks, losing it.

 

“We didn’t have a problem with Brian.” Nancy tells her.

 

“Just Mel then, or was it the fact that I didn’t pick someone who you could show off?” Mom asks.

 

“Lindsay, it’s not time to throw another tantrum. We came here to get to know Gus and are not happy that once again you didn’t tell us the truth about tonight. Lynette was excited when she heard we were going to have a chance to talk to Justin about helping out with her charity. Now hopefully Jen and Gus will help us, so we don’t have to disappoint Lynette.” Nancy tells her.

 

“I doubt Nana or I will be of any help. Unless Justin believes in the cause, he doesn’t waste his time with them.” I tell her, not liking the way they talked to my Mom or about Mama.

 

Mama stood at the doorway, for the first time looking at Mom. “Was this what you expected? If it is, I don’t think Brian or Justin would be happy to have Gus in the middle of it.” Mel tells her, ignoring Nancy and Ron.

 

“Do you want to eat with Mel? I can deal with this.” Nana tells me.

 

“Don’t be silly, we came to get to know Gus. We can ignore Lindsay and do just that.” Nancy tells us.

 

“Yeah, I’m sure you can. You’ve been doing it all her life.” Mama tells her.

 

“I don’t see the point in getting to know you, when it only seems like you both want to use me to get to Jus. In fact, Jus won’t be happy to find out that that was the only reason you came here tonight.” I tell them, smiling when they both look worried.

 

“Justin tends to get his back up when he feels like anyone is using his kids. And Brian tends to want to destroy anyone who pisses off Justin or Gus.” Mama tells them.

 

“Can we sit down and have dinner as planned? I’m sure Lindsay has been slaving away when she should have had it catered instead of subjecting us to what she capable of.” Nancy tell us.

 

“I’m sure it’s possible, Nancy. For once it smells like she got past her vegan stage and will serve us something we like.” Ron tells her, looking hopeful that he defused the fight.

 

“Sorry, that was the dinner I made for my group tonight. We didn’t want to be here to witness your disapproval of everything.” Mama tells him.

 

“Thank-god we ate earlier.” Ron whispers, only it wasn’t like we didn’t all hear it.

 

“I’d love to eat with you.” I tell Mama, not willing to sit and watch my mom and her parents.

 

“But Gus.” Mom protested.

 

“I won’t sit here and watch them run Mama and you down. I’d end up saying something like Dad does, and they would figure out I honestly don’t see the point in pretending they way they do; that sharing the same DNA would give them an in with my Dads. I’d rather spend time with people who don’t have an agenda for being nice to me. It really says a lot about them that they think gay marriage is okay as long as they needed Jus’s help.” I tell her, leaving the room.

 

“We also came to see the house. Your mother was so proud of it.” Nancy tells us, like that was going to save something.

 

“My Dads liked it, but decided it was a cold place to live. Kind of like the house my mom grew up in.” I tell her, making Mama laugh.

 

 

BRIAN

 

I was sitting out in the backyard waiting for Justin to return. He’d been worried about the whole dinner. Nick was inside with Blake, helping finish the dinner Justin was cooking. Justin didn’t want to keep it a secret that he was buying everything, and told me that Hunter knew and planned to help. Hunter wanted to pay back the money Justin gave him for things he needed. 

 

The timing was good because we wouldn’t be here after Deb figured it out. I haven't renewed my part of the restraining order with Deb, for no other reason than to show her that she no longer controlled my life. Michael’s I kept in place, because if not he would see it as me wanting him back in my life. Ted wasn’t happy, but also knew nothing would change what I wanted. I wanted Deb to understand anything she once held over me was gone. Justin didn’t say anything about it, just told me if she became a problem, the order goes back. I knew Justin wanted a chance to see her face when she found out that he was responsible for her still having a job and a way to support herself. I wanted to be the one to tell her, and Justin agreed, only because I told him I wanted to talk to her. I looked over at the bidding on the things Justin put up, and upped it again. It was fun to watch Michael lose every cent, including the money Ted made him. 

 

I kept feeling like someone was watching me, it came from years of being able to tell when someone was scoping me out at clubs. Looking around, I didn’t see anyone, but who ever it was was there. Nick came out and sat down next to me, and I could see he knew there was someone out there too.

 

“See anyone?” I whispered.

 

“Yep, but not anyone I recognize.” He tells me, getting up and walking straight at the tree line. He started running when the person jumped up and tried to take off. I didn’t go in like he told me to, but waited to see what the hell this was about. Nick returned with a kid struggling against him.

 

“Let’s go inside. Justin is almost here.” Nick tells me.

 

“I didn’t do anything, just stopped for a minute.” The kid tells us.

 

Looking at the kid and his threadbare clothes told me he didn’t belong in this neighborhood. We managed to get him in the kitchen and Blake took one look at him and made him a plate of the pasta they just finished making. Nick put the kid in a chair and stood behind him waiting for him to try to run.

 

“Before you take off, at least eat.” Blake tells him.

 

“I need to go.” He tells us.

 

“Not until you tell us why you’re here.” Nick tells him.

 

“I was just looking around. Is that a crime here in richville?” He asks, glaring at Nick.

 

Only when Justin came in the door, the kid looked relieved. “Do you know Justin?” I ask him.

 

“Does who know me?” Justin asks, looking at the kid.

 

“He was out in the trees watching the house.” Nick tell him.

 

“I just wanted to make sure he was okay.” The kid tells us.

 

“Why?” Nick asks, sounding harsh.

 

“Nick, knock it off.” Justin tell him. “What made you think I wouldn’t be okay? What’s your name?” Justin asks him.

 

“I really need to go.” The kid says, getting nervous.

 

“No one is going to hurt you, but we need to know why you were watching the house.” Blake tells him.

 

“I’d like to at least know your name.” Justin tells him.

 

“I don’t want my brother to get in trouble.” The kid tells us. “Max, that’s my name.” 

 

“Max, why were you here?” Justin asks softer.

 

“I was skipping school and there was someone talking about you. I didn’t know what to do, so I came here, not really sure what to do.” Max mumbles.

 

“Was your brother involved?” I ask.

 

“NO. He works at the diner and we just got a place to live and he’s going to school and going to make something of himself so we’ll be okay.” He tells us running the words together. “I’m supposed to be in school, but it sort of sucks being the small kid, you know. I wander around a lot, and sometimes hang out with Ryan. So I know you’re the reason my brother’s getting a way to make a better life for us.” He tells Justin.

 

“You heard something about me?” Justin asks.

 

“Yeah, but none of the guys were taking it seriously. Only, I was worried, because sometimes when you’re desperate you do stupid shit, looking for money.” He mumbles.

 

“Look, whatever it is, I promise you that your brother won’t get in trouble for it.” Justin tells him.

 

“This guy was asking around, saying he’d pay someone to rough you up and didn’t care how rough they got. Just wanted to make sure you weren’t pretty anymore.” He tells me, turning red. “Only, a lot of the guys heard you were the one offering people jobs even if they didn’t have a place to live. So they just told the guy to get lost.” He tells us.

 

“Do you know what he looks like?” Nick asks.

 

“No, it was just what the other guys discussed.” He tells us.

 

“You came here to do what?” Nick asks.

 

“I don’t know, I mean I’m small, but I thought if anyone showed up I could do something.” Max tells us.

 

“Who’s your brother? I promise he’ll still have his job.” Justin says when the kid started shaking his head no.

 

“Joseph. Ryan found out we’d been living at the shelter but that we took off when they tried to put me in foster care. Joseph takes care of me.” He tells us.

 

“How about Blake and I take you home, after you eat. Maybe we could help with the school thing.” Ted tells him, looking at me.

 

“Stop and get him a better coat and shoes. I wouldn’t have spotted you or caught you if you weren’t wearing shoes that were too big for you.” Nick tells him.

 

“Normally I’m pretty fast.” Max tells him.

 

“Max, tell Ryan, and he’ll make sure we know.” Justin tells him.

 

“I didn’t want to cause problems, that’s why I hid.” Max tells him, seeming to be comfortable enough to eat.

 

“He just wanted someone to beat me up?” Justin asks.

 

“He said if you weren’t pretty than it would be easier. Something about it’s the only thing someone cares about.” Max tells Justin.

 

“I’m sure he thinks that.” I tell Max.

 

“Well, he is kind of pretty.” Max tells me.

 

“How old are you?” Nick asks him.

 

“Sixteen, only I know I look like I’m twelve.” He tell him.

 

“I did too.” Justin tell him.

 

“My brother told me I’m just a late bloomer, but you know, I’d like to get to the blooming thing.” He tells him.

 

“Why?” Justin asks.

 

“Cause, I mean, look at the guy you got.” He tells him.