- Text Size +

LINDSAY

 

Mel stood at the door and ordered me to get my shit and get out. Watching Gus go to her made me angry. Gus was always mine, the way Jenny was really Mel’s. It didn’t matter now, but I needed to make Mel understand that I wasn’t part of what Gus told me.

 

“I need to know what Gus was talking about. Nothing he was saying was what I wanted to happen. I only wanted my life the way it was when Justin included me. Unless he could see that the life he wanted with Brian wasn’t going to happen, then he would stay here, waiting for something Brian wouldn’t give him. You have to believe me, the last thing I wanted for was any of this to get this far out of hand. You have to see that what Gus told me was Michael, and not me.” I tell her.

 

“I don’t have to believe or see anything, what happens to you isn’t about me and my family. Do yourself a favor, find a way to get yourself far away from Michael. He’s out of control and will take anyone down to save himself.” She tells me, not offering to help.

 

“Mel, I never agreed to any of the things Gus told me. I told Gus the truth about my part in all of this. I need you to help me.” I tell her.

 

“The way you tried to help Justin was by showing him the truth as Lindsay Peterson sees it. I spent my life wanting the truth from you, but now I’m glad you couldn’t provide it, since your answer was to try to ruin Justin’s marriage.” She tells me.

 

“It was already on it’s way there, all I was doing was giving them both a way to finally end it.” I tell her.

 

“I wish WE’D have ended it when Sam came into the picture. From what you told Gus, Sam was still there, just waiting in the wings for you.” She tells me.

 

“You were listening to a private conversation. And you left me first. It’s not my fault that other people still wanted me, which you wouldn’t have had to worry about if you had tried to work it out with me.” I tell her.

 

“It really doesn’t hurt me that Sam is stupid enough to keep coming back to you. What pisses me off is that you couldn’t just let Sam give you the life you seem to want instead staying with me when you clearly didn’t want to be here. Another thing; leave Justin alone, he’s been a good friend to us. He doesn't need you showing him anything, since he likely could see our marriage  wasn’t much of a marriage, but stayed out of it. You know what? Do what you want. It's getting you nowhere fast. It’s not important anyway, because you've already lost any chance of him wanting you around. What is important is finding a way to stop what Michael is doing. I can’t believe that after dealing with the shit Michael was doing that you could help him get this baby.” She tells me.

 

“Can’t you see that by using Sam, Michael loses it all.” I tell her.

 

“What about the baby, does it even bother you that this affects an innocent child?” She asks.

 

“That’s Michael’s problem.” I tell her.

 

“Which means no, you don’t care.  Pack and be out in ten minutes.” She tells me.

 

Packing took a little longer than Mel wanted, but I was distracted by what Michael was trying to do to Justin. Sam wasn’t any help, he was jealous of Justin maintaining his success even without working. I didn’t agree, so Sam asked me to name my favorite artists. I thought he was testing me again until I finished naming several well known artists. When I finished with Van Gogh, he smirked and said “He's still admired even dead, darling”. Making me angry that he wanted to embarrass me by telling me I didn't have a clue what really makes an artist immortal. I didn’t like that he wasn't kissing my feet, acting like I was the one who needed to do it. I reminded him he wouldn’t be in Justin’s good graces either for helping me, which he shrugged at, saying anything that publicized his name next to Justin’s wouldn’t be a bad thing. Only I got the feeling he’d hang me out to dry, in order to look good.

 

MICHAEL

 

I couldn’t find Kip. He’d stopped answering my calls in the last two days. At first I thought nothing about him not calling, because I explained to him that coming to my house would link him to me. I didn’t need that when I’d been careful, planning to let Lindsay and Kip take the fall when shit went south. In the end my plan was for Brian to see me as the good guy when I turned them in. Lindsay was even stupid enough to set herself up. Really, the kid was only to give Brian something the shit didn’t, another real child. It wasn’t like I believed Brian would be happy I did it, but he'd have to include me, since it was going to be mine. Then I could get him back and show him what a good father and friend I was, allowing him access without jumping through hoops.  Well one hoop, he would have to spend time with me.

 

I should have just taken care of it myself, only I wanted nothing leading back to me. The girl Lindsay arranged to have the baby was getting demanding, she actually thinks I should pay her rent. Likely learning from Lindsay’s belief that fathers should pay for the mother as well as the kid. I was already paying for the doctor visits and her outrageous fee. I should have skipped having a kid, but it was the reason Brian kept going back to the whore. I just kept reminding myself that when Brian and I are together, the money would be a drop in the bucket for us, and a nanny would deal with it, while we were busy.

 

I went to pay for another item I bid on when my card was declined, which shouldn’t have happened. I ended up going to the bank when the girl on the phone must have mixed up my account with someone else's. She printed out my statement, handing it to me when I told her there should be plenty in the account. When I saw a huge withdrawal I never made, I pointed it out as their mistake. 

 

“We can investigate it, but it takes time. You still have savings, that should help you until it gets cleared up.” She tells me. 

 

“I need the money now, not when you figure out your mistake. Get me someone who has answers.” I demanded.

 

She called her boss, telling me to have a seat. It took an hour for the asshole to call me, and his answer wasn’t any better.

 

“There's a hold on those funds, pending an investigation. Unfortunately there's not much we can do until they clear you of any wrongdoing.” He tells me. 

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” I ask. 

 

“I'm not at liberty to say, other than to tell you that the funds are not available.” He tells me. 

 

“I want my money. And while your at it, close my accounts.” I tell him. 

 

“Sorry, but there is nothing we can do. When your assets are frozen, we have to comply. It might be a good idea to get a lawyer to check, if you believe there's been a mistake. I'm sure they've sent you notification about the reason. Good day, Mr Novotny-Bruckner.” He says opening his door.

 

“My lawyer will also be contacting you about this.” I warn.

 

“If he must, but we're only following the law.” He tells me. 

 

I got home and tore through the mail I'd been ignoring. There was nothing but bills, and something from the insurance company about the fire. Reading it, I was sure they made a mistake. They were accusing me of arson. It wasn’t like they were paying for the whole house, just to replace the kitchen. I really thought they’d just cut me a check. Not treat me like a criminal. Jesus, I only started the fire to get Brian to check on me.

 

I called the company to tell them never mind about the claim, but was told the minute the claim was made, it was too late. I hung up, remembering exactly who told me to file it. Ted. The fucking asshole betrayed me. I wanted to show him what happens to people who side with HIM. I no longer cared if someone linked me to Kip. I would figure out a way to explain it. The guy had a history of blackmailing people, so it’s not like they wouldn’t believe he was trying it on me.

 

I called his number again and the fucker finally answered. 

 

“Where have you been, we have things we need to deal with?” I ask him.

 

“Sorry, I had a family emergency. I thought you said not to call each other.” He tells me.

 

“You haven’t held up your end of the bargain. And I’ve decided that until you do, you get nothing more from me. Since you’ve done nothing but run your mouth about your skills, I’m not sure what I’m paying you for.” I tell him.

 

“I found someone.” He tells me.

 

“You better not be expecting me to give you any more money. Until it’s finished, I’m done paying for your ass.” I tell him.

 

“I followed your advice, the guy won’t do anything unless he meets everyone involved. He says he wants insurance before he does anything. He only wants the five hundred from you first, and the rest of the payment once it’s done. So that shouldn’t be a problem for you.” He tells me.

 

“This was your part, not mine. You weren’t supposed to tell anyone I’m involved in this.” I tell him, checking to see if I still had enough at home for this. “I have it, but I don’t like that he wants to meet me.”

 

“I had to tell him, since I don’t have the kind of money he goes for. It’s not cheap to do what you want, and trust isn’t something the guy believes in. It’s why he wants to meet both of us. That way if something goes wrong, we all keep our mouths shut. If you want to back out, now's the time, live with the fact that Brian will never be yours.” He tells me.

 

“Fine. When?” I ask.

 

“He said he could do it tonight, since he found out that they plan to leave town tomorrow.” He tells me.

 

“Not at my house.” I tell him, trying to think of somewhere no one would really pay attention to us. “Ben’s grave. No one really goes there anymore.” I tell him, when I couldn’t come up with somewhere no one would see us.

 

“In a…” He stopped like he was checking, which made me feel better the person existed. “He said to be there in a couple of hours.” He tells me.

 

“I’ll be there, and this time you better have come through.” I tell him.

 

NICK

 

People were stupid, and Michael just proved it. Mel came with me when Cody and Ethan arrived. I wasn’t sure why they were here, but Justin and Brian seemed to know. They called Mel, Emmett, and Drew to meet them at the house, then all disappeared into Justin’s office. When they came out, Cody told me he would be willing to help me. Justin apparently had been planning while we were all waiting around for Michael to do something. I trusted Justin, and listened to what he came up with, which would get this shit done. Carl agreed the plan would work and tie Michael up in a bow for the DA. Mel came in, saying she and Ethan had business to deal with, what, I didn’t ask.

 

“Was it enough?” I ask Carl, when Kip hung up.

 

“We could arrest him, but once he hands over the money we have a better chance of getting a conviction. Are you sure he won’t recognize your guy?” Carl asks, looking at Cody.

 

“We never visited Justin here, so I doubt he’d know who I am.” Cody tells him.

 

“I can’t believe we came for a visit and now you get to play hitman. My life must bore you to tears darling.” Ethan tells him.

 

“I’m good with boring, but you love all this.” Cody tell him.

 

“It’s why Justin thought we’d be a match made in heaven. Now, I have an artist to convince that he’s better off trading sides. Have fun.” Ethan tells Cody, getting up to leave.

 

“What are you doing?” I ask, because no one told me about this.

 

“Apparently Justin wants to help another friend, so I get to play too. Don’t worry, I’m not planning on doing anything to ruin your fun. Just make sure a baby gets it’s happy home.” Ethan tells me.

 

“Is Justin involved in this?” I ask.

 

“Only in that he is willing to help the jackass if he helps us.” Ethan tells me.

 

“Michael has the agreement, what could Sam do?” Carl asks me.

 

“Michael’s agreement says that Brian Kinney’s the father, which means the agreement is invalid, since Sam is the father.” Mel says. 

 

ETHAN

 

Sam Auerbach's ego was bigger than mine, and less deserved. The man didn’t get that you don’t piss off the people who buy your work. It’s something Justin warned me about when my head got too big. When I called his agent about a meeting, the guy jumped on it, which just told me Sam wasn’t getting many offers anymore. 

 

I sat at my hotel room, thinking this secret agent stuff wasn’t as much fun as I imagined. Of course, I was the way in, while Cody did the real work. Only, I liked knowing that I was helping more than myself, which is all Cody’s fault, and Justin’s too. Justin had me talk to Emmett and Drew, not that I needed that to help. They could have gone an easier route, but to them it was about this baby and what would happen to it, when Michael was in jail.

 

Justin was willing to call in a few favors and give Sam the show he wanted. Only he couldn’t be here with everything going on. Sending me made sense, because Sam knew how close Justin and I were to each other. It didn’t matter that years went by. People in our circles only saw that if Justin was showing, I was there cheering him on. 

 

The whole baby thing pretty much convinced me, Michael was desperate and crazy. When we were discussing it, Mel was reading the paperwork again. I swear the smile she had was evil as hell, and I decided if I ever needed a lawyer Mel was going to be it. She called a couple of people, saying the clinic was going to be sorry they hired the girl who changed the information. The girl was brought in, and figured jail wasn’t worth the money Lindsay gave her to falsify the file. Sam was lucky, the girl said he just donated and left. Lindsay was the one who made the deal with the girl. Apparently it was all about the wording, with Brian Kinney not being the father, the the agreement Michael had was void, and the surrogate would be stuck dealing with the kid, unless she agreed to Sam. Which meant we had to convince Sam to help us, and give the baby a set of parents who would make the baby their world.

 

Sam showed up late, but then he was never good at being where he was told to be. It’s why no one wants to show him anymore. Mel was sitting on the sofa next to me. Sam seemed to think he and Mel were friends, and Mel was letting him.

 

“It’s been a while, sorry about Lindsay and you.” He tells her, not sounding like he really cared.

 

“Sorry for you too.” Mel tells him, smirking.

 

“I thought you wanted to talk business?” He ask me.

 

“I do. But it’s sort of you help me, we help you.” I tell him.

 

“Who is we?” Sam asks.

 

“Justin was able to get someone willing to show you. Just you.” I tell him.

 

“Why would he do that? It’s not like he’s ever shown any interest in my work, or me.” Sam tells me.

 

“He still isn't. But you can help him, so he’s willing to lower himself to help you.” Mel tells him.

 

“Lindsay came to me.” Sam tells her.

 

“I can honestly say I don’t care anymore what Lindsay does. If you want her, she’s your problem. It’s not why we’re here.” Mel tells him.

 

“Then what do I need to do to get what Justin’s offering me?” He ask.

 

“Claim the baby. The one Lindsay convinced you wouldn’t become your problem. I looked through the agreement and guess what? It says the baby was Brian Kinney’s, which it isn’t, and that makes this agreement void. If you don’t want to help, that’s up to you. Only, we plan to tell the surrogate who to sue to support the baby. Before you try to tell us to prove it’s yours, the girl who changed the file is singing to stay out of jail. I have a judge willing to subpoena you to test you against the samples. In the end you’ll end up supporting the kid, since you agreed to make the baby.” Mel tells him.

 

“You’re enjoying this aren’t you?” Sam asks Mel.

 

“I wish I could say yes, but I’ve seen what kind of father Michael is, and find it revolting that we have to offer you something you want so the baby has a better life.” Mel tells him.

 

“So what do you want me to do? Because my other kids will tell you, they wouldn’t want me as a father.” He tells her.

 

“We want you to verify that the baby’s yours. Then we can approach the surrogate about signing a new agreement, with the couple who are willing to keep you from ever having to be a father. Nothing more. You won’t even get in trouble for what Lindsay did. Think about it. You walk away with a show in Paris, and no repercussions for anything.” Mel tells him.

 

“What about Lindsay?” He asks.

 

“Do you really care?” Mel asks, watching him closely.

 

“Just let me know where I need to be and what I need to sign.” He tells her, not answering, before getting up and leaving.

 

“Is it really that easy?” I ask.

 

“It is, based on what I told him. Not that it was all the truth. He has no legal responsibility, but he doesn’t know that. Now hopefully the surrogate, will agree. ” Mel tells me. 

 

“She’s going to be living in a penthouse, you really think she wouldn’t?” I tell her.

 

“Why did you agree to do it?” Mel asks me.

 

“Because I don’t gain anything but the satisfaction that I helped two people who will be the kind of parents we all dream of having. Cody will be so happy with me.” I joke.

 

“You are nothing like the public thinks, you know.” Mel tells me.

 

“None of us are. They think Cody’s my flavor of the year, even though it's been years, and that Justin is just an artist. Nothing is ever what we show the world.” I tell her.

 

“Either way, thank you for helping when you didn’t have to.” She tells me.

 

“Your helping too, and you didn’t have to.” I tell her.

 

“I made a lot of mistakes, and it’s my way to make up to my son and old friends.” She tells me.

 

“When this is over, how about you make new friends, starting with me.” I tell her.

 

“I’d like that.” She tells me, leaving.