- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

Justin and l came to hear what Lindsay had to say. Gus wanted to know and we couldn’t let him be there on his own. Even knowing everything they planned, it was different hearing it from the person trying to ruin your life. For Gus, it was much worse, and he needed to know we were there if he needed someone to talk to. When we walked in Deb was sitting in front alone, crying. I didn’t go to her, but shielded Justin and Gus from her. I honestly wasn’t sure what she would do or say, and Justin didn’t need to hear her spewing venom at him for the bullshit Michael did to himself. Ryan kept her from coming over to me when she tried to get up. 

 

Carl allowed us to watch as Lindsay talked to the officer. Gus wrapped his arms around himself, not wanting to be touched, as Carl turned on the intercom. Justin ignored what Gus said and held him as Lindsay proceeded to blame everyone else, and tried to implicate Mel in the whole thing.

 

“Mel hated Brian and encouraged me to do anything I could to get Justin away from him. I only agreed because I didn’t want Justin to stay in a marriage like mine was with Mel. I didn’t plan to do anything but show Justin that he shouldn’t have stayed after everything Brian did.” She tells him, as her attorney kept telling her to stop. “I didn’t do anything wrong, I wasn’t the one who tried to get Justin hurt. That was all Michael and Kip. I protected not only Justin but Brian, by making sure Michael didn’t have Brian’s child. I understand that I might have been wrong to let the girl put the file under Brian’s name, but she’s the one who suggested it when I told her about why Michael wanted a child.” Her attorney just threw his pen down on the table and put up his hands, giving up on stopping Lindsay from pretty much admitting her guilt.

 

“What was your wife’s part in all this?” The DA asked, since it was apparent Lindsay was going to run her mouth.

 

“Her name is on the account I used to pay for the procedure for Sam. She practically put the idea in my head, by ranting to everyone we knew that Justin needed to see Brian for the man he is, so I did what she wanted. It’s what I did throughout our marriage, whatever she wanted. It didn’t matter that everyone told us moving to Canada wasn’t a good move, Mel demanded it in order for us to try to work out our marriage.” She tells him.

 

“Which doesn’t explain anything about exactly what you believe implicates your wife in what you were doing.” The DA asked.

 

“I told you, my role was to make sure she got what she wanted, which was for Justin to leave Brian.” She tells him.

 

“Okay, how about we move on to where Kip Thomas came into this. Why did you contact him?” He asks.

 

“Brian claimed and promised Justin he’d be faithful, but I doubted he could. Kip was someone who had apparently gotten past Brian’s one time only rule. So I figured if Brian cheated, I was only showing Justin the truth. If it was me I’d want to know, so I could move on with my life.” Lindsay tells him.

 

“He went to Mr Novotny for what reason?” He asks.

 

“He expected me to pay him, when I was doing him a favor. He’d get Brian; so why should I pay him when he benefited from what I was doing? Only they started talking about using Gus and Jenny, after Brian put that restraining order on Michael. Michael wanted to know where Brian was going to be, and planned to use Jenny to get Gus give them what they wanted. I couldn’t let them do that. Michael threatened to tell Brian and Justin what I tried to do with Kip, but was willing to keep silent as long as I helped him with the baby he planned.” She tells him.

 

“How did you help him, other than falsifying records and using Sam Auerbach?” He asks.

 

“I didn’t falsify the records, the girl who worked at the clinic did it.” She reminds him.

 

“So what did you pay her to do, if not falsifying the records?” He asks.

 

“Just to make sure Michael and the surrogate believed it was Brian’s.” She tells him.

 

“Was there a reason the surrogate needed to believe it was Brian’s?” He asks.

 

“It was a mistake on my part to use her, but at the time I was angry that Brian managed to convince Justin to take him back. I ran into Brian’s nephew, and he still believes Brian owes his mother and grandmother more than the money he sends, so I convinced him to let his girlfriend have the baby and we could make Brian support it the way he did Gus.” She tells him.

 

“I don’t want to hear anymore.” Gus tells us.

 

Neither did Justin or I. We walked out as Deb was sobbing to the detective in charge of Michael. I told Justin and Gus to go, I needed to hear her find an excuse for what Michael intended to do to Justin.

 

“I’m not here to say he didn’t do what he said, but give you some records about the last year. Even Brian would tell you we were both worried about him. He was so out of control when Ben died. Brian tried to convince me Michael needed more help than either of us could give him. When Brian stopped talking to Michael, I think he snapped. He needs help, not jail.” She tells him.

 

“Deb, if you want my help, you need to stop trying to find an excuse for Michael. He was willing to hire someone to kill Justin. He didn’t say exactly what he wanted, but when asked if he wanted Justin next to Ben, he said yes. We made sure Kip offered him a way out, and Michael didn’t take it.” Carl tells her.

 

“Carl, I’m not saying he doesn’t need to pay for what he tried to do. I know what he wanted to do is wrong, it’s just that I’m not sure Michael could distinguish right from wrong. I would have made him go to the clinic that Brian tried to get him to go to, but Brian was the only one who had the power to do it. If he hadn’t caved to Michael, we might not be here right now.” Deb tells him, turning to see who Carl was looking at. Cringing when she saw me.

 

“Let me know if you need anything from me or Justin.” I tell Carl, ignoring Deb when she tried to call me.

 

“She isn’t going to change overnight.” Ryan tells me.

 

“She might never change. Even if she does, it’s too late for me.” I tell him.

 

“I still want to try and see if we can help her, if not, she’s on her own.” Ryan tells me.

 

GUS

 

Mama wanted to explain to Jenny what we all kept from her. My dad and Jus dropped me off when I told them it might be easier on Jenny if it was just Hunter, Mama, and me. I walked in and Ethan was sitting in our kitchen with Cody. They decided to stay here instead of our house, saying this house had more room. Jus told him not to smother Mama. Ethan said he could always use more friends.

 

We sat with Jenny while she was told everything. Jenny didn’t take any of it well, yelling that she had a right to know too. Then yelled at me.

 

“You get everything again, while I have nothing.” 

 

“Jenny, Gus didn’t have anything to do with what other people did. People who didn’t think once about you, me, or anyone but themselves.” Hunter tells her.

 

“I don’t care, I lost Ben, and now Mom and Dad. All because Uncle Brian screwed up his marriage.” She tells us stomping out of the room.

 

“We shouldn’t have kept this from her.” Mama tells me.

 

I followed in Jenny’s angry footsteps and didn’t knock but walked straight in. She glared at me and turned her back.

 

“Why are you mad at me?” I ask.

 

“What if I end up like them?” She whispers.

 

“You’re nothing like Michael or Mom. Believe me, I spent a lot of time thinking the same thing, but only we get to decide who we are.” I tell her. 

 

“I still love them.” She tells me. 

 

“I still love Mom, but I can't be in her life.” I tell her. 

 

“Like Hunter, after Ben died. He couldn't find any reason to keep my dad and grandma in his life. Only, who do I have left?” She tells me. 

 

“Mama, me, and Hunter are still here. Hopefully you remember that.” I tell her.

 

“I didn’t mean it, it just hurts.” She tells me. 

 

I held her, but needed time to myself. Dr Turner gave me the ability to let others help, and it's why I left it to Mama and Hunter, while I gave myself time to deal with everything. I got home to Dad sleeping with Cameron, Jus cooking dinner, and just let myself be happy with what I had.

 

EMMETT

 

Just sitting in the same room as Brian’s sister and nephew, along with the girl who was carrying the baby, was enough to know why Brian didn’t have anything to do with any of them. Mel told Drew and I that we couldn’t do or say anything that made it sound like we were buying the baby from them or Sam. It’s why Ethan was offering everything. He refused to let us pay for anything, saying just knowing the kid wouldn’t be near them was enough for him. 

 

Sam pretty much told them he wasn’t in a position to give them what Ethan could. When they tried to demand more, Ethan asked to speak to the girl alone. Candace nodded, as if scared of saying anything in front of John or Claire. They left the room, not happy, but did it when the lawyer told them he only let them come because Candace said they could be here. He even seemed to get that there was something wrong with the way they tried to speak for her.

 

“What would you like to say to my client?” Her lawyer asked.

 

“If she wants my help, then it’s done without those two involved.” Ethan tells her.

 

“What happens if I say no?” She asks.

 

“Then you raise the kid and figure out how to support it. Looking to Sam wouldn’t help you, he tends to run to other countries when child support is due.” Ethan tells her.

 

“I never wanted the brats, and I don’t really plan to be bled for this one.” Sam tells her.

 

“If I agree to what you guys want, what happens?” She asks.

 

“We get you out of here. I have a place you can stay through your pregnancy. We can help you get back into school, college later, if you want. I’m not offering to finance your life, but help you get a better one that doesn’t include people who use your body for financial gain.” Ethan tells her.

 

“Once you agree, we can leave without John or Claire coming near you. I do need to make sure you understand that once the baby is born that’s it. You will not contact the parents or demand anything from them.” Mel tells her.

 

“Why do you want this baby? It’s not like you two couldn’t find another way.” She asks.

 

“We could, but all I thought the minute I knew about yours, was that this baby deserves to only know it was born so Drew and I could love it.” I tell her.

 

“What about you, is this just because he wants the baby?” She asks Drew.

 

“I’ve always wanted to be a father, and I don’t care how it happens. To me any child is a gift, and deserves a happy life. A life where even when they do something we don’t like, it doesn’t change that they can count on us to be there to help them through it.” Drew tells her.

 

“Even if they end up letting the wrong guy convince them to do stupid things?” She asks.

 

“Especially if she makes the mistake of thinking the wrong guy is the right one.” I tell her.

 

“I want them to have my baby.” She tells her lawyer.

 

“Better them than me.” Sam mutters.