- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

Carl took our statement before we left town, and told us it would be a while, as the legal system never moves fast. Justin told me he could have made a few calls to get it to move faster, but taking care of me was what we were going to do first. He took Cameron and Gus with him to the beach house, while Daphne came with me for my next treatment. We stayed the weekend and decided to come back after the side effects receded. Gus only stayed until Sunday, then Drew and Emmett took him back for school. He’d been down about more than Lindsay. Even as open minded as I am, it wasn’t easy to realize my son was likely in love with Super Seal Al. Justin assured me that Al was someone he would trust with our son’s heart, if Gus chose to give it to him. 

 

We came back two weeks later, only because Gus had soccer game. Something I missed by being an idiot the last year. I managed to swallow enough pills to sit with Justin and Cameron and cheer Gus on. Gus’s team won by a landslide, with all of us cheering loudly for him. We celebrated at the house with his friends. After everyone left Gus went to his room. I went to find him, seeing if he wanted to stay with his friends this weekend, since they were planning a big celebration at the school. 

 

“I’d rather go with you guys.” He tells me.

 

“You could drive down after the party. I’m going to be sick, so it’s not like your going to miss anything new at the beach house. Don’t miss out on the things with your friends. Soon you’ll all be separating to start college.” I tell him.

 

“I was going to talk to Dr Turner about this, but maybe you’ll understand. Lately it seems like the things my friends want to do are just different that what I want to do.” He tells me.

 

Gus was still coming to me or Justin to talk, but the things that bothered or confused him, he kept for Dr Turner. We talked to her about it, and agreed not to press him, but to give him time to come to us when he was ready. 

 

“How?” I ask.

 

“Everything is about the next party, or scoring with the next guy or girl. It’s just, we’re about to enter the phase of our life where what we do will decide our futures. It’s like somewhere along the way, the things they like to do just don’t interest me.” He tells me.

 

“Is this about Al? You really don’t know him that well yet.” I tell him.

 

“I’ve felt like this for a while.” He tells me.

 

“Because I wasn’t here?” I ask.

 

“Maybe a little bit, but it wasn’t the only reason. I’ve always felt out of place with my friends. Not Luke or Terry, they’re like me; they don’t really get some of the stupid shit everyone else wants to do. The three of us end up keeping our other friends from doing things we’d get in trouble for. All I could do was think that I would be disappointing you and Justin, they were thinking ‘it’s just fun’. They want to go out and party, when I rather stay in most of the time. I still have fun with them, it’s just not really something I want to do all the time. When it’s just Luke and Terry, I don’t feel like everyone looks at me like there’s something wrong with me.” He tells me.

 

“Then invite them to hang out with you.” I tell him.

 

Gus, Luke, and Terry came Friday night, loaded down with junk food and a couple game systems. Drew helped them set up the den with a couple TV’s and Emmett took the junk food and mixed in real food for them. They were glued to the games all weekend, in between going outside and swimming at the beach with Cameron. Luke and Terry told me they liked spending time with Cameron too. 

 

Justin and I were still seeing Alex, but it was easier now that we were talking to each other. The anger from the beginning was gone, and it became more about day to day life. It wasn’t easy for me to let Justin take care of me, and I told him, instead of trying to hide it from him. I told him that when Nick came home and mentioned there was a problem with the intel they had and they were on standby until the got the right information, that I waited for him to tell me he was going to help them. In turn he admitted he almost said yes, but didn’t because we weren’t ready for him to be away from us. I worried that it was about what was going on with Michael and Lindsay. Justin assured me that would be the reason he would have volunteered. 

 

It wasn’t like Michael was going anywhere. He was facing other charges not related to me or Justin. He might have gotten away with it, but he must of thought he was safe telling the guy sharing his cell. He ranted to a guy in the cell with him about how Ted’s told him to report the fire to his insurance company, something normal to do when your house is damaged by a fire. He didn’t get what the big fucking deal was, telling the guy that he started the damn fire. His words were recorded by his cellmate. Michael felt Ted set him up, even though he did set the fire. His reasoning was he needed my attention, and used the method he always did before to get me to run to him, being a victim. Only, Ted was the one who turned up, since I was no longer willing to solve Michael’s problems for him. How Michael turned it into Ted siding with Justin will be a mystery to everyone but Michael.

 

We had to hold Blake back when he found out Michael blamed Ted for the insurance company looking into the fire and wanted Ted to pay for it. The other guy knew he could cut a deal for a reduced sentence by keeping Michael talking. Michael had been telling him his version of Justin stealing everything from him, and that he deserved what Michael wanted done to him. The guy told his lawyer what Michael was saying and in turn the lawyer went to the DA, who agreed to a deal if the guy wore a wire and got Michael to talk. They got Michael on tape, about Ted, and admitting the fire was set by Michael to get my attention. Michael even asked the guy if knew anyone who wanted to make some money, by doing what Kip couldn’t manage. 

 

I’d been home with Justin, Gus, and Cameron when Drew brought a pissed off Blake in the door. Emmett came in behind them, wide eyed. “Not a word until Cameron and I go see what Uncle Emmett brought for him to play with outside.” Drew tells Blake. “I don’t want to hear a word about the puppy, Cameron likes them.” Drew tells me and Justin.

 

“What kind of puppy?” Gus asks, running out behind Drew and Cameron.

 

“Brian, we were going to get him one anyway.” Justin tells me, thinking I was going to argue about it. “Now what is going on?” Justin asks Emmett and Blake.

 

“Big Bad, it’s a retriever and yes it is going to shed, but they love family and kids. Drew and I will take care of grooming and making sure it doesn’t leave anything you can kill us for. Now onto the excitement. Never underestimate a pissed off Blake.” Emmett told us, getting cut off by Blake.

 

“That fucker planned to do something to Ted. All because he set a fire in his kitchen to get Brian’s attention. I only wanted five minutes alone with the jackass.” Blake tells us.

 

“Where is Ted?” I ask.

 

“He’s likely making sure I get a separate cell from Michael, since I told him I’d find a way to be in the yard with Michael by next week. I already told him that Deb better not convince him to help.” Blake was proving he wasn’t the quiet sweet guy we all thought.

 

“Blake, he isn’t letting Deb drag him into this mess. Ted stayed behind to help Carl with Deb, and Mel with Lindsay.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Why is Mel helping Lindsay?” Justin asks.

 

“She wanted to make sure the police had everything they needed from her. Lindsay’s statement implicated Mel, not that the detective believes that, but Lindsay’s family hired her a new attorney. Mel didn’t want Lindsay to twist anything, and Ted wanted to support her. Which is all he planned to do, until Deb showed up, accusing everyone of trying to accuse Michael of even more. She, of course, isn’t willing to believe Michael was doing more than trying to keep from being hurt by the other guys sharing a cell with him. Which is when Drew had to pick Blake up and carry him out of the police station. Since he thought sharing a cell with Michael would be a perfect way to show Michael his thoughts on someone hurting Teddy. Carl wanted to take Ted’s statement, that was all he stayed for, and Blake knows that.” Emmett tells us.

 

“I know, but how can she still want to believe Michael isn’t responsible for what he does? How fucking blind can she be? Never mind, we all know first hand.” Blake said, flopping down on one of the sofas.

 

“As much as I get wanting to kick Michael’s ass, don’t give him anything to use, because he will.” Justin tells him.

 

“Can we talk about something else? I need to calm down and apologize to Ted after the drama I performed for everyone.” Blake tells us.

 

“You want to help us plan a party for Gus’s eighteenth?” I ask them.

 

“I forgot, can you believe it?” Emmett asks us, as if it was a crime for the party planner.

 

“You have your own baby to think about, so I’m sure Gus would understand. My mom suggested using her beach house in Florida, having everyone get away from here. Brian will be finished with his last treatment a week before, so it will be nice to get away after.” Justin tells him.

 

“We could do kind of what we did with Jenny, Gus never really wanted a wild crazy party.” Emmett tells us.

 

Ted showed up in the middle of the planning, and stopped Blake from apologizing by kissing him and joking that Blake was his hero. Mel came in and agreed that anywhere that wasn’t Pittsburgh sounded great to her. 

 

Justin and I were in bed when he brought up inviting Al, if he could make it. It wasn’t easy to say yes, but I did because Gus’s birthday should include everyone who loves my son. And Al looked at Gus the way I know I looked at Justin.