- Text Size +

TED

 

It was hard to remember why I ever thought of Mel as someone I liked after finding out what she said to Justin about the possibility that Brian had been supporting Michael. Blake and I talked about me getting involved in this, since I’d promised I was done letting the family rule our lives. Which for us included Lindsay and Mel, who, while not being belligerent to Blake, like Michael could be, weren’t exactly welcoming to him at things we did with them. Blake didn’t really care, because he had people outside of my friends, and didn’t let the slights bother him. It bothered me, but over the years, Blake and I carved out new friends and let the ones who couldn’t be happy for us, go. I still talked to Mel on occasion, but it wasn’t like it used to be, because she didn’t like that I wouldn’t listen to her spewing crap about Brian to me. I didn’t feel it was my place to judge anyone’s relationship, or act like they weren’t capable of making their own decisions. I still needed to tell Brian about the shit Michael did at the old house, it bothered me the way he’d set up the master bedroom, as if the only thing missing was Brian in the bed. 

 

When I called Mel, she asked that we meet at her and Lindsay’s house. She went on to say that her cousin wasn’t happy about Mel staying there and inviting people over. I really wanted to just back out of the driveway when I saw Deb’s car there, but Brian and Justin needed a chance to figure things out, and after talking to Emmett, apparently Deb and Michael hadn’t figured out they were no longer in control of Brian’s life. If Deb keeps this up, not only is she going to deal with Justin, but Jen too. 

 

I didn’t even get to knock before Mel came out the front door, looking worried. She walked over to my car and got in, leaving me to follow her there. 

 

“What’s going on?” I asked, when she kept staring at the door.

 

“When did Brian sign over half of Kinnetik to Justin?” She asks, instead of answering my question.

 

“They combined their assets, like any married couple would.” I tell her.

 

“Why didn’t anyone know?” She asks.

 

“Why the hell would it matter if anyone knew? It was Brian and Justin’s decision about their marriage, which they both really don’t talk about. Blake and I share everything too, but I didn’t feel the need to tell anyone something that really should only be important to us. Why are you bringing it up, when it’s not your business?” I ask.

 

“Because once again, Brian’s shit is causing problems in my home.” She tells me.

 

“Is that really how you see it, that something that does not have one thing to do with either you or Lindsay, is Brian somehow causing the shit you two do to each other? Jesus, he can’t get a break from anything. He didn’t do anything other than share everything in his life with Justin.” I tell her.

 

“He made Justin responsible for everything, while he went off to play, forgetting everything.” She tells me.

 

“Do you really want to go there… Fuck it, we will. What do you call the shit you did by packing up and running out on your marriage, not once, but twice? I call it forgetting everything while making anyone but you responsible for everything. I honestly came over here to tell you the truth which is in short supply with you and Lindsay lately. Brian didn’t support Michael, but had me invest the funds because he didn’t want Michael to blow the every cent and end up expecting Brian to take care of him.” I tell her.

 

“Why not, when Brian ignored everything for Michael?” She asks me.

 

“Which is something that Brian and Justin need to deal with, not us. Just so you know, what you tried to do didn’t have Justin at Brian’s throat, instead he just asked Brian to tell him. All you succeeded in doing was showing Justin that you aren’t much of a friend. Something even I’m questioning about you. Can you answer something, why are Deb and Michael here?” I ask, realizing Mel wasn’t the person I once saw as a friend.

 

“They said they came to see Jenny, only they haven’t even asked where she is. Lindsay told them about Kinnetik, it’s why I came out to see you. I couldn’t listen to them talk about Justin like he’s the whore in the relationship.” She tells me.

 

It was just too much for me. “Seriously, do they think Justin came into this marriage only wanting Brian’s money? Justin’s worth as much, if not more than Brian, not that either of them ever gave a shit about the money.” I tell her.

 

“Lindsay isn’t upset about Kinnetik belonging to both of them. She’s upset because Justin is giving up shows and other things because Brian put the responsibility of Kinnetik on his shoulders. She doesn’t see why Brian would do that, when it should be Gus’s one day.” She tells me.

 

“How about Cameron? You know, Brian’s other son? Does Lindsay not see that Cameron should feel slighted too, since Brian so selfishly wanted to share everything with his husband, who would never leave his children floundering out in the cold?” I tell her, getting out of the car.

 

I didn’t wait for Mel, but walked straight in the house. None of them heard me come in, since they were discussing Brian’s mental well being. I stood there in shock when Deb started suggesting that they should try to get Brian declared incompetent, Which almost had me asking if they understood what that word meant. Mel came in and passed me, going into the kitchen, not telling them I was standing there.

 

“Mel, since I have a POA that pre dates the shithead’s arrival, it should mean I’m in charge of Brian’s life.” Michael tells her.

 

“Lindsay agrees with us that a judge might see Brian’s behavior as unstable, and that Justin doesn’t have his best interests, since he’s divorcing Brian.” Deb tells her.

 

“If anyone should have been left in charge it should have been me. I’m the mother of his son.” Lindsay adds.

 

“Like you give a shit, as long as the money flows to you. Michael and I have always been there taking care of Brian, something he forgets the minute Justin throws a tantrum because Brian wants to take care of Michael.” Deb tells them.

 

“Ma, things are different now. I think Brian wants more, but he can’t because he’s trapped with the brat and HIM.” Michael tells her.

 

Deb takes a deep breath, before saying anything. “Michael, sweetheart, as much as I know you think you want Brian for more, he really isn’t going to give you the things you need. He just needs to remember that your friendship comes first. You need time to get over losing Ben, then maybe later you can start looking for someone better than Brian to get into a relationship with. You don’t want to have deal with that kid he has with Justin, when you can find someone else that doesn’t come with kids or responsibilities, other than making you happy.” She tells him.

 

“I WANT BRIAN, and as far as any of those other responsibilities go, I’ll make sure Brian cuts them out of his life. After all the years I waited, it’s my fucking turn to have it all.” He screeches.

 

“Michael, you’re still dealing with losing Ben, so you aren’t seeing things clearly.” Deb tells him, as Lindsay looks strangely at Michael.

 

“Is Gus one of the things that gets cut out?” Lindsay says softly.

 

“What the hell does Gus need Brian for, when you two are supposed to be the mothers, remember? You know, it’s interesting that somehow you two wanted the fucking kid, but Brian ended up raising him for you.” Michael tells them.

 

“Brian would never give up Gus!” Lindsay yells.

 

“He would if you two didn’t constantly show up, using your kid to get him to support your asses. It’s never fucking enough for you, and for once I’m going to put my foot down and tell you the gravy train stops once Brian and I get married!” Michael tells them.

 

“Michael, honey you're not ready for a relationship. I know you miss Ben, but..” 

 

“Why the fuck would I miss Ben? He knew I only wanted him with me until I could have Brian. I never loved him, and could only thank him for finally getting out of my way. I don’t care what you think, Brian has always and will always belong with me. I’m sick and tired of you trying to undermine everything.” Michael tells her, getting up to leave, only stopping when he sees me. “You tell Brian, if he doesn’t come to me, then I’ll make him wish he had.” Michael tells me, running out of the house.

 

“I don’t understand, he loved Ben.” Deb says, looking shocked.

 

“Really? It sure didn’t sound like it to me, but then you never want to believe Michael could be anything but the perfect son you made up in your head. Excuse me, but I think Brian and Justin might need to worry about what Michael meant by the last thing he said.” I tell them, deciding the four people sitting in this kitchen weren’t worth my time anymore.

 

“Ted, he’s just upset. He lost Ben and now Brian’s acting like he doesn’t want me or Michael around.” Deb once again excuses everything, as if she didn’t hear a word.

 

“Brian isn’t acting, right now he doesn’t want any of you around. If Justin finally tells him to choose, what do you think the chances are that he will choose people who treat him like he’s either their bank or owes them everything? It’s not looking to good for any of you, at least I don’t think so.” I tell them, leaving.

 

I hated to do this, but for once I’m going to look out for Brian. “Cynthia, go ahead and file the restraining orders.” I tell her on the phone.

 

“Do we call Brian first?” She asks, sounding unsure.

 

“No. If he gets pissed, then I'll tell him I did it. Michael pretty much threatened Justin, Cameron, and Gus in front of me and three other people.” I tell her.

 

“The police are going to need Brian to sign off on this.” She tells me.

 

“Actually they don’t, Brian left both Justin and I in charge of everything. Just don’t tell Justin I lied about it.” I tell her.

 

BRIAN

 

I went upstairs to check on Cameron and to see if Gus had fun last night. When Justin and I woke up we agreed to table the talk from last night. We both needed time to think about what we each said to each other, so we didn’t start another argument. I didn’t feel like we were avoiding it, like in the past, just trying to figure out how to talk without it causing us to lash out at each other. Cameron was still sound asleep when I went in his room. I kissed his head and went to check if Gus was up. I wanted to talk to Gus too, he deserved to know that I was going to do what it took to be the father he expected me to be to him and his brother. 

 

Emmett told us that Gus and Luke had come in saying they were going to play games for a while, so it didn’t surprise me to see Luke still there, only that maybe there was something Gus hasn’t told us. I closed the door, deciding Gus and I had a lot to talk about. 

 

I went into Justin’s room and laid on the bed, wondering when I became that parent. I looked up at Justin in a towel and even though I didn’t get hard, there was interest, which was progress.

 

“You okay?” Justin asks, getting dressed.

 

“We need to talk to Gus.” I tell him.

 

“About?” Justin asks, as Cameron comes in the room and climbs on the bed to lay on me.

 

“Sleepy.” He mumbles, going back to sleep.

 

“Overnight guest, Luke was there.” I tell him.

 

“Luke always spends the night, you’ve never had a problem with it before.” Justin tells me, getting dressed.

 

“I don’t want to have a problem with it, but shit, Luke SPENT the night.” I tell him, not wanting to wake up Cameron.

 

“What should we do, or even say? It’s not like Gus would have to worry about how we’d react, yet he didn’t tell us.” Justin tells me.

 

“He probably didn’t tell you because of everything else going on.” I tell Justin.

 

“Should we talk to him?” Justin asks, which felt good that he said we.

 

“We should at least make sure he knows that we support him, regardless of what he decides.” I tell him as my phone rings. “It’s Ted.” I tell him.

 

“I’m going to help Emmett with breakfast, bring Cameron when you get done.” He tells me, kissing us both before going downstairs. I heard doorbell, but was busying listening to Ted tell me what he did. 

 

“Why?” I ask.

 

“Brian, what Michael said didn’t sound like he was just wasn’t just running his mouth. This way, if he tries something, you have legal recourse.” Ted tells me.

 

“He needs help Ted, but I can’t be the person helping him.” I tell him.

 

“Deb won’t be much help, as far as she’s concerned it’s just Michael grieving for Ben. Brian, it’s not just what Michael said today, but what he did at your other house. He was turning the master bedroom into his bedroom. Justin didn’t leave much behind but what he did leave was shredded or destroyed. I could be wrong, but if it was Blake I’d rather overreact then not do anything. Carl should be there with the paperwork. Maybe have him look at what Michael did. If it’s nothing, then you don’t have to renew the order in a couple of weeks.” He tells me.

 

“Let me see what Justin thinks and talk to Carl, thanks.” I tell him, hanging up.

 

“Dada sad?” Cameron asks staring at me.

 

“No, baby boy. Hungry?” I ask, getting up with him in my arms.

 

“I get Gussy.” He tells me, trying to get down.

 

“I think Uncle Emmett wants you to help him cook.” Drew tells him, taking him from me. “Justin said to go in the living room. Let me know if you need me.” Drew says, smiling at Cameron.

 

“Hi Brian, I have the paperwork for you to sign.” Carl tells me.

 

“Is there some reason we need to do this? I’m all for them not coming here, but this is a bit extreme.” Justin tells me.

 

“Ted didn’t like what Michael implied.” Carl tells us.

 

“Which was?” Justin asks.

 

“That he would get rid of anyone that got in his way, which sounded like he meant you, Cameron, and Gus.” I tell him.

 

“If we file these, it gives you both a way to handle Michael through legal channels. Yes it’s extreme, but better safe than sorry.” Carl tells him.

 

“Ted suggested that you see the other house, and I thought maybe we should get Alex to see it too. Whatever you left at the other house, Michael destroyed.” I tell him.

 

“It wasn’t much, just a few clothes.” Justin assures me.

 

“It doesn’t matter, he did it because it was yours.” I tell him.

 

“I’d normally agree with you, a restraining order is over the top, but Michael’s obsession with Brian was never normal.” Carl tell Justin.

 

“I wasn’t fighting doing it, I just wanted to know why.” Justin tells him.

 

Carl left us with a copy, before leaving. Justin asked me to wait because he wanted to ask me something about yesterday.

 

“Lindsay was all over my ass about turning down a couple shows and the trip to London, but after telling her that you and I both own Kinnetik, she took off, driving like a crazy person. I thought maybe I pissed her off by telling her to mind her own business. She started acting like her and I should be leaning on each other, and then acting like my agent, saying the art world isn’t going to wait around for me. I’m not telling you this to get you to do anything, just because I want to start again by you hearing it from me, not finding out later.” He tells me.

 

“You want to see what Michael did? Justin, I don’t want to see it. I trust Ted’s word, I think we should let Carl and Alex look at it and tell us what they think.” I tell him, knowing it was his way of getting me to see he needed to know everything too.

 

“I’m not scared of Michael.” He tells me.

 

“I never thought you were, but I don’t think I could deal with seeing what he did to a place that was once our home.” I tell him.

 

“Hey Dad, Jus, you guys have fun last night?” Gus asks, walking by.

 

“That was our question for you.” Justin asks, smirking at Gus.

 

“Yeah.” Gus says slowly, looking at us.

 

“Anything you want to tell us?” I ask.

 

“NO!” Gus tells us running into the kitchen.

 

“You're right, we don’t need to see it.” Justin tells me, going to the kitchen.

 

I pulled out my phone, looking at the pictures Ted sent, and resisted smashing the phone. Instead I forwarded them to Alex, with a text asking him to go with Carl. Alex of course called me back.

 

“I don’t have a problem going with Carl, but what you're seeing in those pictures is pretty much what Michael’s always wanted from you. How did you and Justin handle talking to each other?” He asks.

 

“We ended up arguing with each other.” I tell him.

 

“Are you talking this morning?” He asks.

 

“We decided to give each other time so we wouldn’t turn it into a bigger argument. Which Justin has every right to do.” I tell him.

 

“Yes he does, but you both took the step to find a way not to argue with each other. It’s more than couples who aren’t at the point you two are at could do. I’ll check out the house with Carl and we will discuss it at your next session. Justin needs to know what you know too.” He tells me.

 

“Not today. Today I want to enjoy the things I took for granted.” I tell him, hanging up.