- Text Size +

CHAPTER 11:  DON’T LOOK DOWN, LOOK RIGHT HERE


BRIAN:


Once again, I can’t help but marvel at Justin. Watching him work the crowd in his capacity as co-CEO of Kinnetik JTD, is simply amazing. He manages to speak attentively to everyone- artists and executive alike- without breaking a sweat. One would never guess that he absolutely hates this part of the business. Hell, if it was up to Justin, I would be doing all the schmoozing. But like it or not, he was born to do this, and while Ted and I are talking figures with Emmett to continually provide sustenance for the competition, I’m happy to leave him to it. I feel a tap on my shoulder, so I turn to see exactly who is interrupting me during a business meeting.


“Brian, a word?” Miranda asks, and I can tell from her agitated state, it can’t be good news. I excuse myself from Emmett, Ted, and Em’s assistant, Darren to find out what has Justin’s normally unflappable agent almost ready to pull her hair out… or perhaps someone else’s? That thought is confirmed with her next words. “The harridan harlot is here, skulking about by the potted plant in the corner.”


I glance surreptitiously behind me, seeming to check on where Justin is now entertaining. I turn back to Miranda, who is doing an admirable job of schooling her features back to impassivity. “Lindsay is doing a poor job of hiding herself, but perhaps that’s what she wants.”


“She’s not even supposed to be here.”


“I know that, as do you. I’m sure she’s also aware that she shouldn’t be here, but if we oust her now, we give her what she wants.”


“But so does letting her be here,” she sighs. “Undoubtedly, she’s looking for allies to sabotage Justin’s chances of winning.”


“Of course, but she’s going to find the pool limited to just one or two at the most.” I think about the conversation between Connor, Brett, and Justin earlier. “Justin is already expecting Lindsay to join up with Stacy Peete.”


“Seems the most logical, but artists are a fickle lot, as I’m sure you’re well aware having lived with Justin for a number of years. A friend right now can turn into an enemy the next second.”


“True, but there’s no way to prevent that. All we can do is take certain precautions ahead of time.”


“And how do you propose we do that?”


“Give me a moment to think about it, Miranda,” I advise, thinking of all the things I would do if I was going to get revenge on someone. Then I contemplate all the possible angles I would use if I wanted to make someone’s life hell while we’re working on a project of some sort. Then I erase all of that, and contemplate what I know about Justin.The truth is that no one would ever see an attack from my young blond coming, but he would see theirs coming from a mile away. I smile “We add to and spell out the basic rules of the competition, specifying that ANYONE seeking to flout them, including sabotage, will immediately be disqualified. That will reduce the number of Lindsay’s accomplices greatly.”


“How do you figure?”


“Not many would be willing to risk the possibility of getting caught. This competition in and of itself is a game changer. In addition to that, Justin is looking for potential employees for the Kell-Jam account we just acquired this afternoon.”


“Justin’s moving to L.A.?”


I smile at her. “No. Brett and Connor saw the wisdom in Justin’s plan of broadening their talent pool out of Hollywood. If the work is done here, there’s no chance of a leak or sabotage from the bigger production companies.”


“That’s… that’s fucking genius!”


“That’s Justin. The lad is a fucking whiz at backdoor strategies and sneak attacks. That’s why I suggested specifying the rules in a very clear cut fashion so that no one has the excuse that they didn’t know them when they’re caught.”


“And if Justin retaliates? You don’t think he’ll plead the same thing?”


“No. If there is one thing I know about Justin it’s that he owns his shit. Not only that, but people may suspect all they would like, but they still would have to prove that Justin had something to do with their misfortune. The funny thing about it is that they would be totally wrong since Justin prefers to do things out in the open. He’ll let his work speak for him, which is the fundamental difference between him and Lindsay. Unlike her and whomever else she would have indoctrinated into her ‘Anti-Justin Club of Failures’, he won’t do anything to their paint, or other art supplies; he’ll just embarrass and expose them in such a way where the public will see who the real culprits are.”


“I get what you are saying, Brian, but I really want to kick her ass out of here. Well, the truth is I want to drop kick her into oncoming traffic, but I don’t look good in orange so I’ll settle for having security deal with her.”


“I get it; I truly do. But… tell you what. Let’s wait until after the rules are read aloud. Plus let’s not forget that the press is here since this is a major event. I’m sure Lindsay will be unable to keep from making a spectacle of herself at some point. It’s one way to ensure that she doesn’t have to go through the whole process of being selected for the competition the way the others will have to. I already know that Justin has opted not to work with any outside people, but is going to stick with his normal staff.”


She nods. “He told me as much last night before we left the Meet and Greet. Have you ever met his assistant, Cheryl?”


“No, but he did mention her last night while talking to Brett and Connor. I didn’t know she was his bonafide assistant,” I tell her.


“She’s a makeup artist and model in her own right, which is probably why he didn’t mention her. Her specialty is Sci-Fi makeup, and she’s like a Cynthia for Justin when he’s in artist mode. She understands that and him in a way few others ever would without him spelling out his directives line by line to them. So she’s the ideal person to assist Justin during this competition. Also, Cheryl was the person he used when he did the DynoDyke edition of Rage.”


“Really? I just thought he’d drawn Mel from memory.”


“Mostly, but honestly, if we all didn’t know better, we could easily believe they were related. She’s a more voluptuous edition of Melanie Marcus.”


“If she’s a dyke, too, that could spell trouble.”


Miranda smiles slyly, before answering. “I can attest that she is, and she’s also well spoken for.”


I look at her, then lower my head to stare at her a little closer. “I thought you were straight.”


“Many do, but I’m actually bi. Cheryl is the reason I broke up with my last boyfriend. She’s like the perfect combination of Leda and Melanie, with a little bit of Justin mixed in. How could anyone have resisted?”


I can’t argue with her there. “Well if it’s any consolation, I hope things work out for the two of you. I know what my life would have amounted to without Justin in it, and I wouldn’t have wished that on anyone… well, except for perhaps Lindsay and Michael at this moment.”


“How are you doing about that, by the way?” she asks me.


I decide to be honest with Miranda. She has this way about her where talking to her doesn’t feel like she’s trying to psychoanalyze me, but is genuinely concerned about my wellbeing. “Ironically, I’m okay with the way things turned out. I mean, it’s hard to lose a twenty year friendship… or what I thought was a friendship anyway. In a way, it feels freeing, the way it did when I stopped feeling responsible for my mother and sister’s fucked up lives.”


“I know the feeling. It’s the exact same way I felt when I stopped doing what was expected of me by my parents and began to live the way I wanted to. Having the scholarships to college, and then getting a lucrative position within a gallery so that I could attend law school under my own steam helped tremendously. They can never say that they paid for my career…”


“The way Lindsay is trying to do with Justin’s, you mean?”


“Exactly. Did you know that she actually had the audacity to say I should listen to her about Justin since she was instrumental in getting him back to drawing after the incident?”


“I hope you didn’t mention that to Justin. He’s still quite volatile where she’s concerned.”


“I am many things, but a fool isn’t among them, Brian,” she tells me. “I learned early on just what Lindsay believes her role within the scope of Justin’s life is. He told me to never trust her, which at first struck me as strange. At least it did until I began to watch the way she operates in reference to Justin. Stage mother doesn’t even begin to cover it.”


I nod, understanding exactly what she means. “This is about more than living vicariously through his art achievements. It’s about the thing that Lindsay craves above all else.”


“What’s that?”


“Control,” I answer, just as RuPaul calls for the artists and judges to go to the long table at the front of the room.


The way we decided to set it up is that each judge who is representing an artist, or a group of them, would sit with the contestant. Some have as many as five contestants, while others represent the contestants in teams. Miranda and Justin are seated in the middle of the table next to Connor and Brett, who are the major sponsors of the event. Justin seems so at ease with them, and it’s hard not to be a little anxious about it. I mean, he has an entirely different history with those two men, than the one he has with me. But when he meets my eyes from across the room that little bit of residual jealousy dissipates. Justin is MINE, and has always been. That knowledge goes a long way in setting my fears that maybe Lindsay was right about me letting him go at ease.


Which brings me to why she would really think she should be listened to at all. I didn’t lie earlier when I told Justin exactly what her motives in all of this are. She figures that if she can control Justin as the darling of the art world, and somehow use me to keep him baited on her hook by using Gus, then she would have a shot of keeping me from him. It’s obvious that she doesn’t know Justin very well at all. There’s no way he would just let me slink off into obscurity in exchange for his success. He would have found a way to get to me, no matter what she tried. And I’m so thankful for that. Even though the separations were hard, just knowing that at the end of it we were still connected meant more than any of the meaningless platitudes both Lindsay and Michael have uttered over the years. We are NOT about to become the pawns she wants us to be in her game of one-up she always wants to play with Nancy and Lynette. The smirk currently on Justin’s lips tells me that he agrees with me wholeheartedly.


Before the question and answer period began, Brett and Connor, along with RuPaul, explained how the competition came about and the prizes involved. According to them, this isn’t simply a competition for the title Winner of Celebrity Skin Wars, but a way to bring awareness to the competitive field of becoming an artist within the motion picture industry. “Because many of these artists work in genres such as the Fine Arts sector, it’s also a way to get them some much deserved exposure. This is about so much more than a title and money, ladies and gentlemen. This is about achievement and recognition, which many artists don’t receive while they are still alive and able to enjoy the benefit of their endeavors,” Brett tells them.


RuPaul chimes in then. “There’s an old song whose lyric goes, ‘Give me my flowers, while I may yet smell them.’ This is our way of being able to do that for these most deserving people. Our artists are some of the hardest working people in the business; they work at designing sets and creating out-of-this-world concepts in order to entertain the masses. Yet they don’t get the public awards and accolades that the actors, actresses, project directors, and special effects directors receive. It’s the same for the costume designers and those who work in hair and makeup. Sometimes they are on set from sunrise to sunset, and in many cases, even beyond that. So this is our way of giving them a platform to show what they are really made of; to show their talents on a global scale.”


“I will not lie, ladies and gentlemen. The competition is going to be grueling,” Connor added. “Each of the participants are taking time off from their busy schedules to devote to this. Yes, there is an amazing prize of one hundred grand, as well as being the next full-time judge and being the lead artist for Kell-Jam Studios, but there are so many more benefits which aren’t as tangible. Right now, several of them are on hiatus from the current projects they are working on, and instead of resting what are they doing? Participating in the Celebrity Edition of Skin Wars. When asked why they readily accepted the invitation instead of being off somewhere soaking up the sun, some, if not all, declared that even if they were, they would still be drawing. In many respects, it’s like breathing, which is something they can’t NOT do if they want to live. That said, the competition itself is going to be four weeks in a very fast paced, and stimulating environment. They are going to learn from each other, but most of all, they are going to recharge their creative batteries in the process. I know that as an actor, people-watching is a hobby, but it’s also how I draw inspiration to do my very best on my projects. Artists of this caliber are no different.”


“Earlier today, you all decided to open the competition up to the general public of Pittsburgh. Can you tell us a little about that?” The reporter, Janet Meadows asks. I know her from one of the news magazines Justin’s watched for years. She’s been following his career closely since the GLC show several years ago.


Brett answers her question. “One of our invited contestants became ill last night, and had to have emergency surgery. Ivan Middleton is absolutely one of the best there is, and it would have been an honor watching him compete. In honor of how he got discovered in his hometown of Peoria, Illinois during a fair, we decided to hold a contests among the local community here to fill his enormous shoes. The winners will be given an opportunity to compete with the Elite artists up here. At the very least, it will give them the exposure that it would have taken them years to achieve on their own, no matter what medium they work in.”


“Is this being privately funded, or a public venture?”


“We contracted with each studio who the artists represents, as well as Kinnetik JTD, which is a local business, to fund this endeavor. Also with the backing of the GSN Network and Arts and Entertainment Television, who are airing the competition- both in real time and in syndicate- the artists will not lack for supplies, models, or anything else they will need to do their very best work."


The q & a of the contestants and judges began in earnest then. The overall excitement is absolutely palpable in the room as there is much laughter among each of them. I’m just standing back here, enjoying the obvious camaraderie amongst many of them, while keeping my eyes on Justin. He’s glowing in happiness. It’s still shocking to realize that Justin is considered one of the elite in his own right. I’m reminded of Lindsay’s dire predictions all over again, and it’s taking everything in me not to do a victory dance worthy of a football game. But I don’t do that. It’s going to be enough for me to watch her fail, and fall hard from the pedestal she’s placed herself on as ‘All-Knowing Asshole’ that she’s become. Looking back on all of it, Mother Taylor had Lindsay all figured out. And whereas I’m sorry that it took me so long to do it on my own, I’m ecstatic that not only is Justin about to prove her all sorts of wrong, but I am too.  


“So Justin, how does it feel to be included among those you’ve considered idols while you were still in high school?” Janet asks him.


“Pretty freaking amazing, Janet. I’ve spent so many years admiring their work. In fact, James Mason at the end of the row was one of the artist’s assistants on one of my favorite movies, “Yellow Submarine”. That was the movie that originally got me interested in animation.”


“I hate to bring this up, but many of us are still quite fascinated about your personal journey from being grievously injured in your late teens to becoming one of the most notable artists in this competition at almost twenty-four years old. You’ve come quite a long way from your first venture in Hollywood some years ago. I know that you’ve addressed it quite a bit in your professional career, but to whom do you attribute your success in such a short time?”


“As stated, my mother loved me all throughout my recovery and beyond, but it was Brian who actually helped me.”


“Brian? You’re talking about Brian Kinney?”


“Yes, but there’s been a name change since the last time you interviewed me. Brian and I have been legal domestic partners since before I made my initial sojourn to New York. So whereas I still use Taylor for my Fine Arts work, he and I are known as the Taylor-Kinneys.”


The room erupts in applause, even as cameras turn towards me, snapping pictures while I smile at him. Out of the corner of my left eye, I see Lindsay bristling in the corner. I don’t think she wanted this particular news to become public knowledge. Well that’s just too bad! This is mine and Justin’s life, and now it’s officially joined publicly.


“Brian, how are you liking married life so far?”


“More than could be put into words, but I’ll be sure to show Justin later, Janet,” I answer, leaving no doubt as to how I will.


“Damn! What I wouldn’t give for a floor show right now,” One of the agents, Sean David announces, much to the agreement and laughter of everyone else, except for Justin’s nemesis.


Stacy Peete is scowling again, but I’m almost convinced that it’s her permanent look instead of it conveying whatever emotion she’s trying to convey. Either she should lay off the Botox or learn to check her feelings, at least where every eye can be drawn to her at any given time. Sure her jealousy is evident, but of what exactly? Justin’s talent, the fact that he has just about everyone in the room eating the charm out the palm of his hand, or is it the fact that Justin was asked to be here and she was just a replacement. Of course, those are just some of the questions the press could ask, but I suspect that her current bitchiness is because it’s officially been announced that Justin and I are irrevocably together, and therefore her hitting on me again would make her look stupid. Well she already looks like an ass, but the cameras weren’t rolling when she was shot down in flames yesterday.


As for Lindsay, of course she looks as if she’s about to erupt. And sure enough, Mount Dumbass Lindz just couldn’t keep her lying lava to herself. “Excuse me, but Justin how can say that it’s Brian who helped you?! You wouldn’t even be an artist if it wasn’t for me, since I’m the one who took you to see my friend, who continues to have shows regardless of her limitations!”


Justin smirks at Lindsay in response, and even before he says anything, I know- absolutely KNOW- that Sunshine just fired a return volley from Lindsay’s antics of last night. “Ladies and gentlemen, this is Lindsay Peterson, the woman who would have made a wonderful stage mother along the lines of Mommy Dearest. Somehow she forgets that I have ALWAYS been an artist, even before the insignificant role she’s tried to play in my life. However, in reference to her question, yes, Lindsay, you took me to see your friend Adrienne Bennett, who is a phenomenal artist despite the fact she’s a quadriplegic. I still visit her from time to time, but it’s funny, I haven’t seen you there during any of those times.”


“I… I…” Lindsay stammers.


“In fact, Adrienne is scheduled to be a guest judge during the competition once she’s back from her show in France at the end of next week. But back to your question- or should we call it a very false implication?- Lindsay, whereas you introduced me to that wonderful awe-inspiring woman, it was Brian who took me to therapy and bought me a computer to use for my hand during my recovery. He also keeps it updated with the latest software for when I need it.”


“Oh? Do you still have problems with your hand?” she asks, barely masking the glee-filled condescension from her voice.


Justin smirks at her in kind. “You’ll never know. And even if you did, it still wouldn’t change the fact that BRIAN is the person who I accredit ALL of my progress to. He’s an amazing man, lover, and husband, and someone who you will never know the way I do. Get used to it.”


Miranda interrupts the staring contest- one of anger and contempt on Lindsay’s part and of surety and calmness on Justin’s- to make a public suggestion. “Since Ms. Peterson has deemed it important to make a spectacle of herself in this very public forum and seems to have convinced herself that she’s the reason my client is an artist, I say we add her to the roster.”


“Wait! I thought I was supposed to compete with the other locals?” Lindsay backtracks.


“Yes, that is supposed to be the case. But I mean, well if you are in here within this closed press conference, then you must be an artist of some note, correct?”


Lindsay narrows her eyes at Miranda, and I want to laugh so loud and long right now. They have set her up in such a way where Lindsay’s choice is going to embarrass her either way. Either she admits that she snuck in, which means she would be automatically disqualified, or she ventures across the gauntlet Justin and Miranda just placed before her.


“Not exactly, but…”


“No buts, Lindsay. Are you or aren’t you an artist?” Miranda asks, a little more forcefully and using a tone that Justin and I know she’ll take offense to. Justin has certainly taught her how to manage Ms. Peterson well.


“I am.”


“Great. Then I make a motion for you to join the competition as a single artist…”


“But I thought I would be paired with another, more experienced contestant!”


“No. That is only for the amateurs, who will be competing in pairs for a spot in this elite competition. But you’ve already stated that you are an artist of some note, and therefore qualified to compete as a solo artist within this competition. Right?”


Damn! Miranda must be killer in courtrooms, and at meetings. She’s leading Lindsay to the slaughter, using the bitch’s own pride as the leash. Mel comes to stand beside me, nearly in tears with laughter. “Miranda just became my idol,” she whispers.


“Mine, too. If you’re even one-tenth as ruthless as she is, the entertainment industry is in trouble as a whole.” I chuckle.


“One can only hope.”


“Don’t doubt yourself, Mel. Justin seems to think you’re an amazing lawyer.”


“And you? What do you think?”


“I don’t back idiots,” I answer her, automatically knowing that she got the message. Tuning back into the conversation, Mel and I once again hold in our collective laughter at Lindsay’s methods of passive-aggressivity being used on her, instead of the other way around.


“So Lindsay, what’s it going to be? I know which choice I would choose if I was in your position,” Miranda advises.


“And that would be?” Lindsay sneers in her direction.


“To do the right thing- the wise thing- in order to keep my pride, and standing such as it is within the Art community.”


“Fine, in that case, I’ll compete!”


“You’re sure? I mean, the stakes are a bit astronomical for you, aren’t they? Not only that, but you also have to pick your own models and assistants, which if you were who you’re trying to convince us you are right now, you would have had the opportunity to do that last night at the Meet and Greet. Is there any specific reason you weren’t in attendance?”


“I wasn’t invited,” Lindsay mumbles.


“Care to repeat that louder for the reporters?”


“It doesn’t matter,” Lindsay deflects. “As for this competition, I would like a side wager with you and your client, if I may.”


“You can present the terms, but I still reserve the right to deny them in the best interest of my client. Proceed, Ms. Peterson,” Miranda says with the imperious tone of a queen.


“I want Justin to do the shows I’ve lined up for him with some influential friends I have within the art community, and I would like the opportunity to take over as his booking agent, if I do better in the competition than he thinks,” Lindsay demands.


“No,” Justin says immediately.


“What do you mean, ‘no’?”


“Just what I said, Lindsay. You will NOT be given an opportunity to play with my career, and most certainly not my life the way you seem to do with your own.”


“Aww, what’s the matter, Justin? Scared that I will win this wager?”


“Not at all. I’d be amazed if you made it to fourth place, and you should feel mightily accomplished if you do. But my reasoning is simple. I don’t want anything to do with you at all, so it wouldn’t make for a very conducive working environment. Besides we all know what your real aim is, although we’ll leave the others to speculate. The answer is no, and that’s final.”  


“However, I do have a counteroffer for you, Lindsay,” Miranda speaks up. “If you should at least make it to fourth place, I’ll get you a job in a gallery doing what you do best, which is selling art, NOT creating it.”


“I don’t need your handout!” Lindsay yells.


“Actually, you will. Since after you compete I’m fairly certain that no one would willingly be associated with you within fine art circles. No one likes their names attached to personifications of failure.”


“I WILL NOT FAIL!”


“You already have, but I’ll let you find that out for yourself. In the meantime, you will leave all manner of Justin’s business alone, or you’re automatically disqualified from the competition. That includes ANY and ALL parts of his and Brian’s lives- both together and separately. Do we have a deal?” Miranda asks, unbothered one way or the other by her answer.


I could see Lindsay thinking about it… HARD. Sure the arrangement still won’t stop her machinations, but if she’s caught, she’s fucked. And honestly, she is anyway, once she receives the packet Deb will have waiting for her from my attorney. Jeff was all too joyous to do what I asked. I’m sure that once Lindsay opens it to find the order for supervised visitation for both kids, and a check for two-hundred and fifty-three dollars that Mel included, which is all the money Lindsay was due for the security deposit for their lodgings in Canada, she’s sure to fly off the handle. In addition to that bad news for Lindsay, there will be some for Michael as well, since the announcements will be in the paper that all of the Tremont lofts are being short-termed leased, as well as the official sale of Ben’s house being listed under Kinnetik Real Estate with Jennifer as the broker on file. We decided to give Ben a short sale, since he was able to provide all of the information about any maintenance he had done on the house, including the new roof put on just before he bought it. As a result, he now owns one of the lofts free and clear, with a nice profit as a cushion in the bank. I don’t expect Michael to leave his bed for at least two days following that bit of news.


The only troubling thing is that Lindsay will still enlist help from all corners, both here and from the outside where Michael is concerned. But that’s okay, since there are repercussions for anyone they think they can use to get to me and Justin. Justin and I have already been over a list of overt people she could contact to try making our lives a living hell, but so far we were only able to think of Craig. If he’s smart, he’ll continue to stay clear of Justin for awhile. Thankfully, Lindsay hasn’t come for me and Mel though. But if she had, her humiliation would have been even more absolute. I think she will be surprised if she tries to get Joan and Claire to reason with me in her stead. After the last argument I had with them, I’m pretty sure they won’t even dare to darken my door again. But if they do, there will be police waiting for them. Although I didn’t file charges, I did make the police aware of my mother’s violent nature when she slapped me for the last time because I wouldn’t get Claire and her spawns out of their latest mess. Last I heard, Claire and her sons moved back in with Mother, and she’s working two jobs to keep Joan in sherry with a roof over their heads. It might seem mean of me, but I refuse to keep supporting my abusers no matter who they are.


“Fine! We do,” she says, resignedly.

 

“Good, and now for the rules…” RuPaul announces, as each contestant and Lindsay listens attentively.