- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brian's side of things.

 

Brian

 

It wasn't as if Brian hadn't known what to expect.  Justin had been pulling that cord for years.  He could have that cord taken out, but hearing Justin laugh made it worth the humiliation.  It also helped diminish his morning wood until a better time could be found, preferably after Justin ate.

 

Admitting that he was happy was harder than he thought.  Waking up every morning holding on to Justin, then having breakfast with Gus and Jenny Rebecca started his days off right.  That was why when he had to go out of town on business he found it difficult.  Fortunately knowing that Emmett was around to watch over everything made it easier.

 

Gone was the old Brian who didn't talk about his feelings and only needed his needs met.  With Justin around he was never without.  His last bout of cancer may have slowed him down, but two years later he was back in form.

 

Things were looking up for Kinnetik and they had clients coming to them.  He, along with Ted, took a meeting with a firm in Florida that was looking to advertise with them.  They had come to an agreement and were now waiting for the contract to be signed. 

 

 

Ted had just double checked to make sure everything was in order when their client showed up with an attractive woman with long medium brown hair wearing the latest in Prada.  His mouth dropped open.  "Melanie!"

stories/47/images/Melanie_Marcus.jpg

 

"Hello, Teddy, Brian,"  Melanie Marcus spoke politely. 

 

Mr. Hargroder, the client looked from his lawyer to the two men standing.  "Well, it seems you know each other.  Good.  Good.  This should go much easier."

 

Brian was doubtful but managed to keep a neutral look on his face.

 

"Gentlemen, shall we get started?" Melanie sat down primly and opened her suitcase.  She took out copies of the contract and passed them around.  The room went quiet as she meticulously went over her copy.

 

"Well?"  asked Hargroder.

 

She nodded to him and handed him a pen. Then much to Brian's surprise said,  "Everything seems in order.  The terms are more than adequate."

 

Hargroder signed with satisfaction.  Everyone stood up and shook hands. 

 

Ted held on to her hand.  "Mel?"

 

Melanie looked resigned.  "Care to share a cab?  You, too, Asshole."

 

They drove up to a neat little bungalow and exited the cab.  Melanie unlocked the door and ushered them in.  "Help yourselves while I change into something more comfortable."  Waving toward the well stocked bar.

 

Brian went over to the bar and fixed himself a drink sure that he would need one.  He poured one for Melanie before pouring Ted a glass of sparkling water.  His practiced eye taking in the room and noting that the furniture were the same type he'd have bought before Justin came home.  While his taste was now more of comfort rather than minimalist.  Melanie's living room was sleek and clean and totally unlike what the munchers formerly had.

 

He wasn't sure what to think when Melanie returned wearing a snug pair of jeans and her hair pulled back in a pony tail, her feet bare.  She took her drink from him and made herself comfortable on her sofa. 

 

"Where's Lindsay?"  Ted asked before Brian could.

 

Melanie looked into her glass.  "After you took the kids, we were ordered to have psychological evaluations.  The last time I saw her she was in a mental health facility talking to a couple of dolls and ordering  the orderlies around as if they were servants."

 

Brian and Ted shared shocked looks. 

 

"I knew there was nothing I could do for her.  My evaluation was eye opening.  I realized that my attitude all these years was misguided and knew the kids would be okay with you so I decided to come here to be with my family and start over."  She got up and went to her desk and brought back a folder.  "Here are all the papers you'll need just in case.  I had them prepared in case something happened and wanted to give them to you, but I was too chicken shit to contact you.  And Brian?  I'm sorry." 

 

Brian stood there as she handed him the folder.  Ted took it from him and briefly looked over the documents.  "She's given up her rights, Bri."

 

"Thank you,"  Brian choked out before Ted propelled him toward the door. 

 

Brian remained in a state of shock all the way home.  It was a good thing he had Ted there to watch over him.

 

Once they got home, they called a meeting which included Emmett, Cynthia and the kids and they decided it was in their best interests to file the paperwork with the courts.

 

The next morning Brian awoke from a strange dream.  He'd let Justin have his fun with the cold water before dressing and joining the family for breakfast.  Justin was in the midst of telling about his dream and Brian couldn't help remembering his own dream.  Once he relayed it the kids had a great laugh and nothing more was thought about it, until a card was received in the mail signed MM.