- Text Size +

CHAPTER 12 - BOPPING, STOPPING AND SHOPPING


DINER - SATURDAY MID-MORNING


MICHAEL


Nobody has been around much this week, including me. I have been away at a convention that lasted three days. I am looking forward to catching up with the gang. As I enter the diner, I see Ma leaning against the back booth and she’s smiling in my direction, which makes a change from the glowering she was doing before I left.


“Hi, Ma!” I call out as I walk up to her smiling, but the glower is back on her face. “What’s wrong? You were all smiles before.”


“I wasn’t smiling at you though.” She retorts.


“Ma, have I done something wrong? I haven’t been here for the last few days.”


“With me now!” She hisses and I follow her to the office. I look back at Emmett for any clue as to why she’s pissed, but he simply sips his coffee. When we get to the office, she slaps me hard.


“What the fuck?!” I shriek, clutching my cheek.


“I heard what you said and I should’ve done that then!” She seethes.


“What are you talking about?!” I demand.


“You wished that Kemi didn’t survive.”


“I didn’t mean it literally!”


“How else can you mean didn’t survive?” She snaps. “Someone opened my eyes and ears to you and I didn’t like what I saw or heard! Now, that is all I am saying on the subject. I will give my reasons and just hope he forgives me for not telling him.”


“You’re going to tell him?!” I gasp incredulously.


“No, Michael.” She sighs and I almost slump in relief. “But know this... most of the Avenue knows and I’m not going to protect you from the fall out when he finds out. When they both find out!” She holds up her hand when I go to interrupt. “Like I said, I am not going to tell him. But I won’t stop anyone else from doing so, not anymore. It would save you a lot of grief if you did the right thing and told him before anyone else does.”


EMMETT


I think everyone heard that slap connect! About fucking time too! As she comes out, everyone starts talking again. But she’s no fool, which is more than can be said for Michael. He slides in opposite me, resentfully rubbing his cheek...if it was me, he would’ve got a bloody nose!


“I see she’s told you.” I indicate the handprint on his cheek and he goes red, so at least it blends in.


“As I said, I didn’t mean it literally! I was just cross!”


“What about?” I have always wondered why he said what he said and now it’s out in the open, I’m going to fucking well find out.


“It was just such a shock. He never said he could carry children, he never said that to me, his best friend. It was amazing enough to me that he gave Lindsay Gus, who he is a drop in dad for. But then he got pregnant and wouldn’t give her up, I couldn’t believe it. If it were me then…”


“You have got to be kidding?!” I gasp as realisation begins to dawn. “Oh my…!” I pinch the bridge of my nose. “Michael, you can’t be serious about that? You and Brian as parents?”


“Keep your voice down!” He hisses as he leans in, blushing harder.


“Michael…” I pause to contain my laughter at such a foolish notion. “You’re a bottom. How could that have worked?!”


“I read up about...you know doing it artificially. When he was ready, I just thought…” He grimaces as I start to snicker at the idea. “At least, he would’ve known the father’s name from the get go. This Justin…”


“Wait. As a matter of interest, how would you have put that idea to Brian?”


“We’ve always said we would be with each other in the end…”


“As friends, not parents!” I exclaim. “Michael, it would never work between the two of you. Brian would end up looking after 2 children!”


“I don’t get it.”


“You and whatever spawn of stupidity he would birth because of your seed. Oh dear me, the very idea!”


“What’s wrong with it?!” He snaps, folding his arms. “Okay, so now with the other kid, Candace in the picture now, it won’t happen. But if she wasn’t and Kemi was with Lindsay, it might have…”


“No, just no!” I wipe my eyes. “It would not have worked because you aren’t mature enough to share Brian. That’s has been evidenced repeatedly by your behaviour since Gus was born, then Kemi and now with Kendi’s arrival. You don’t like to share your toys, even the ones that you keep locked away in a cabinet.”


“I can share Brian! He’s not my toy; he’s my best friend!” He maintains crossly.


“Prove it!” I lean back and regard him.


“How?”


“Invite Justin to Babylon tonight.” I smirk at the look of surprise. I unlock my phone and slide it across to him. “I want you to do it now…”


What now?” Debs comes over, having been eyeballing us from behind the counter.


“Michael reckons he can share Brian, so he’s going to be Mr Magnanimous and invite Justin to Babylon tonight and be absolutely fine with him being there. Won’t you?


“You underestimate me, Emmett. Now excuse me, I have a call to make! I doubt he will be able to come anyway as he’ll be looking after Kendi.” He goes to stand, but Debs pushes him back down. “Ma…”


“Here and on speaker.” She orders. “Then I will cover the babysitting duties.”


DEBS


I watch the door close behind him as he storms out of the diner, cheeks flaming. “Well what do you think of that?” I ask Ems.


“Not going to happen. He will break in days. That’s the problem with Michael... he’s okay with Brian fucking but he’s not okay with Brian making love and that’s what, I suspect, Brian and Justin did. They made love all weekend.”


“And they will again. Mark my words.” I smirk. “That bubble butt and snake hips in Babylon...especially in the erection section...they won’t be able to control themselves!”


TAYLOR RESIDENCE - 30 MINUTES LATER


OFFICE


JUSTIN


I am just blinking rapidly. This has got to be a joke! I quickly text Emmett, but he confirms that it was Michael on his phone inviting me to join them at Babylon! I don’t even get to call Brian to tell him when he’s calling me to say that Debs has offered to look after the girls so we can shake our tailfeathers.


“Suppose I should get some dancing clothes.” I laugh. “Though I haven’t danced for awhile, what do you mean can I dance? Of course I can! Ooh just you wait and see, just you wait!” I hang up slightly aggrieved...can I dance indeed? Trust me, if there is one thing I can do it’s dance!


MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - LATE AFTERNOON


BEDROOM


MICHAEL


I am sorting through my wardrobe and steaming about what Emmett said and did. There was no need for him to laugh so heartily at the idea of Brian and I being parents. It could’ve happened...it could’ve but now that ship has sailed! I have to admit that having all three of his kids in the Pitts is very tiresome. But I can share Brian, as long as they don’t take up too much of his time. When he was free as a bird, he was much more fun to be around. But now he has responsibilities, he’s become, dare I say it, dull and safe!  I find the perfect top and my best jeans. I snicker as I think to myself, I won’t have a problem sharing Brian because he’s going to be too busy stopping men from hitting on me!


BABYLON - MIDNIGHT


BRIAN


“Okay, I take it back.” I growl hotly in his ear, causing him to shiver and squirm. “You have proved the adage correct…”


“Told you so…” He murmurs into my neck. He is plastered against me and we are swaying to something or other. “I can box; I can sing; I can kiss; I can fuck so ergo, I can dance.”


“Mmm.” I slide my hand up his sweaty back. “You’re nice and wet.”


“All over.” He whispers back and then looks at me seriously. “This we can do. Let’s go do something that we haven’t really done.”


“Talk?”


“Yeah.”


Ten minutes later, we make our way back to the rest of them and Ted gives me a small smile. “You guys going?”


“Yep.” I scan the room for Michael but he’s nowhere to be seen. “Tell Michael I said bye.” I tell Ted and he nods and waves me away.


For once, I am unsure what to do. But my dilemma is solved by a soft hand, sliding into the back of my jeans. After checking it is Justin, I lead him out.


DINER - HALF AN HOUR LATER


ERNIE


When they first came in and headed to one of the few quiet tables, I was surprised...and a little worried...but when he pulled out the chair for Justin, I breathed easier and went about my shift.


BABYLON - SAME TIME


MICHAEL


I can’t believe how much I have been hit on! I come back to the bar with hickeys and kiss bruised lips. “Need…” I pause. “...some lip balm. Do you have any? I seem to have beard burn!”


“You’re gonna have to shout louder than that. He left a while ago.” Ted tells me, smiling. “He said to say bye...so bye.” He drains the rest of his drink and laughs as he heads to the exit.


I look at Emmett. “What happened to Brian?”


“Left with Justin.” He replies. “Face it, Michael. You’ve lost him. You lost him when Brian took mysterious man back to the loft. Then you lost him to Gus, then Kemi, then Kendi and now Justin again.”


No, I haven’t! Nobody gets between me and my best friend...nobody!


DINER


BRIAN


“What is your favourite colour?” I take a sip of my coffee, to this day Ernie won’t tell me where it is from. She uses it to keep me in line!


“Have two. Royal blue and sea green. Yours?”


“Chocolate...not brown, chocolate. And deep burgundy.”


“How did you react when you found out?” He asks.


“I drank a glass of water and said are you kidding me!” I chuckle at the memory. “Ted was an absolute godsend. He came to every appointment, made sure I took my vitamins and…what about you?”


“Panicked. Told my dad first and he told mom.” He frowns. “You said Ted was a godsend. So, Michael wasn’t there?” I shake my head still feeling hurt. “He wanted me to give Kemi up and I wouldn’t...no, I couldn’t.”


“Wow! Some best friend!” He smiles and reaches over to take my hand. “The drugs were excellent, weren’t they?”


“Oh fuck yeah, better than Vicodin or any of Anita’s high grade trail mix.” I snicker.


“Scariest moment with Kemi?”


“Took my eyes off her for two seconds and she was out of sight. She was quick to walk, even quicker to run. Those two words will haunt me forever…where’s Kemi?...I was up for the next two days, couldn’t sleep, had to keep checking she was safe. You?”


“Stomach flu. She was so small and just kept getting sicker and sicker. Turned out she was allergic to one of the medicines. She was in ICU for a while. What was teething like?”


“Horrible. So very horrible. She screamed the place down.”


“Same. It was like having Linda Blair in the house 24/7!”


For the next two hours, we compare daughters and life stories until Ernie shoves us out. “Go reminisce where it started!” She orders laughing as she locks up.


“I can’t believe the time.” He looks at his watch and shifts on his feet. “I really want a bath but…”


“Ah that’s where she gets it from.” I laugh and hold out my hand. “She’s such a water baby so has got a bath. I’m sure she won’t mind her Pop using it. I have some sweats you can sleep in, unless you…”


“I can keep my hands to myself.” He smirks.


“Good to know but I was going to say, unless you want to go home.” I point out and he buries his head in my chest. “So cab is going where?”


“The loft.” He mutters.


THE LOFT - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


KEMI’S BATHROOM


JUSTIN


I cannot believe how much bath products she has! But that is nothing compared to the small swimming pool that is her bath!


“She’s a bit keen on baths.” Brian laughs behind me. “I have to admit that I do like the way she sets them. And that they smell wonderful.”


“You can join me if you want.” I get my answer by him adding some more products. “What’s that?” I ask as he sprinkles in something that smells like caramel.


“No idea, but I love the smell. After you.” He gestures and suddenly, I feel shy. “Want me to turn around? Yours is higher up.”


“My what?”


“C-section scar. I got mine along my pubic bone.”


“Can I see?”


“Sure.” He peels off his pants and I stare at the faint scar that bisects him from side to side.


“I cried, so much, but not as much as my parents. Dad was in bits.”


“Bawled for two hours straight and wouldn’t let anyone touch her, not even the doctors. Ted had to threaten to invoke my POA before I let her go.”


“Did your milk come in?” I look at the floor as I wait for him to answer.


“Yeah.” He tilts up my chin. “It was the weirdest feeling. They are very sensitive still.”


“Mine too. Although it was a weird feeling, I felt so bonded to her.” He nods in agreement and hauls my top over my head and I do the same for him. When we sink into the water, we don’t say anything to each other. All he does is adjust me so that I am resting against his chest. Forty minutes later, we are curled round each other in bed. Before I succumb to sleep, I chuckle softly.


“I do not snore.” He grumbles. “I have a deviated septum, which I refuse to have fixed as it gives me character.”


“Okay…” I yawn once more and snuggle closer. “We’re bringing them back here later yeah?”


“Mmm. Now go to sleep.”


“Night, Mr Gruffalo.”


“Fuck off.” He grouses then snaps off the side-light and pulls me tighter to him.


MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - FRIDAY AFTERNOON, A WEEK LATER


MEL


Jennifer and Nya have just told us that we’re going to Kleinfeld in New York, one of the most prestigious wedding dress shops in New York if not the world. It took a lot of heavy hinting and harnessing every WASP skill she has, but she and Jenny finally got an invite to the Junior Cotillion.


“New York!” Jenny screams. “We’re going today on the plane, right?!”


“Yes to today, but no to the plane.” Nya answers.


“Why not?” She demands.


“It...”


“Mommy! Quickly we need to book flights! Oh wait, so we fly tonight and then back when?”


“Sunday evening.” Jennifer replies.


“Mommy! We need to do it now!” She orders and pulls a giggling Lindsay into the lounge. I am about to say something, when Nya softly clears her throat. I look across at her and she winks.


An hour later, they have booked flights and a hotel just off Greenwich Village. Jenny has gone upstairs to gloat and pack.


“Oh you should see the place Mel, it is gorgeous! We got the last two seats in premium economy. The Gods must be smiling on us!” Lindsay giggles. “What time's your flight and where are you staying?” She turns to Nya with a cold stare.


“Whenever we want to take off and we’re staying in Justin’s brownstone just off Time Square.”


You could hear a pin drop and a fairy fart.


“What?” Lindsay croaks.


“Our plane is out of commission because of engine trouble but we’ve borrowed a friend’s. Can you give me the address of the hotel? The least we can do is organise a car to be at your beck and call.” Nya answers back just as coldly.


“Mel, are you ready?” Jennifer asks and I nod. She turns to a stunned Lindsay. “What time does your flight land?”


“Seven thirty.” She replies.


“Oh such a shame, you are going to miss the dinner. But the shopping tomorrow will be excellent.”


“Dinner?”


“Yes, we’re going to Spago’s. Now, the Junior Cotillion this year has a theme of Old Hollywood Glamour. So the dresses must have black, blue or white colors, and be modest. No masks though. And the heels low, there can be gloves.” She turns to Nya. “How long till the car gets here?”


“Right about…” her sentence is cut off when there is a beeping. “...now.”


“Ladies, have a very safe flight. We will see you tomorrow. Our appointments are booked from 1000 and take about an hour to two hours for each.” Jennifer smiles and sweeps out followed by Nya, who closes the door behind her.


“Did you know about dinner?” Lindsay demands. “Why didn’t you stop us from booking the tickets and…”


“No, I didn’t. And the person you should be annoyed with is you because you chose to bow down to the whims and demands of a 12 year old girl, instead of actually listening to the person who is organising the event. Now I have to go. I will see you tomorrow.”


KLEINFELD, NEW YORK - SATURDAY MORNING


LINDSAY


It wasn’t the greatest of starts to our New York trip when we got to the airport and spent most of the trip next to a screaming child. But we are here now and I am determined that we are the Belles of the Ball. As we head towards reception, Jenny is gawping at all the dresses.


“Good morning, Lindsay Peterson and Jenny Marcus Peterson.” I state smugly.


“Thank you. If you would like to take a seat, the consultant will be with you shortly.”


Twenty minutes later, I am about to approach the desk again when I hear my name being called. “Finally! We have been waiting for almost 30 minutes.” I point out tartly.


The consultant merely smiles, but offers no apology. “This way please.”


“Excuse me, but you need to apologise for keeping us waiting.” Jenny demands and I feel such pride that she is so keen on propriety.


“Excuse me, Miss Marcus Peterson, but you are a walk-in appointment and I happened to be free.”


“No, that’s not right!” I snap. “We’re in the Jennifer Taylor Party for the Junior Cotillion…”


“That’s not what you told reception. If we had been told that we would have come and collected you immediately. It’s this way instead.”


We follow her in silence and when we get to the room, we’re in for another surprise.


“What happened to you two?” Jennifer asks. “We’ve had to start without you.”


“There was a mix up at reception.” I explain airily before looking around. “So where are Kemi and Kendi?”


“In Pittsburgh, where else would they be?” Jennifer frowns.


“I thought they were buying dresses for the…”


“No, this is for Nya and Mel. Now you must make up time, so please start looking for dresses.”


I want to scream I am so annoyed! I could’ve sworn she said that the girls were getting their dresses today!


“Mommy, come on. I like this one and…”


“Oh Mel...that is gorgeous on you! You simply must get it, you must!” Jennifer exclaims and we turn back to look at her. She does indeed look gorgeous!


“I couldn’t. I really couldn’t. It’s far too much!” She whispers transfixed by her appearance in the mirror.



“That looks lovely, Mel.” I tell her and she smiles at me, finally acknowledging my presence.


“So are you saying yes to the dress?” Jennifer laughs.


“I’m saying yes.” She breathes.


“Nya! Come on out of there. We’ve got things to do!”


“I’m looking for something!” She calls out from the dressing room.


“What?” Jennifer demands.


“The neckline!” She calls back.


“Stop being a twit and get out here!” Mel shouts back, laughing. “The dress looks great on the hanger so it will look even better on you!”



Jenny gasps when Nya comes out. “Mommy, can I have a dress like that?!”


“No Jenny, you cannot. It is far too old for you; you are only 12.” Mel interjects before I can answer.


“But I am blossoming into womanhood and this dress would…”


“Not be bought.” Mel retorts and glares at me for emphasis. “Do we understand each other?”


“Of course.” I reply and Jenny folds her arms while I smile winningly.


“For either of you.” She emphasises and I freeze.


“May I have a quick word, Mel?” I ask, taking her elbow and steering her to the other side. “I will not be embarrassed by you like that!”


“Lindsay, you have bulldozed your way into this. You are not going to play who wore it best as well!” She snipes back. “As for your dresses, the budget is $800 max each. You are not dropping more than that on a dress she will grow out of and you will only wear once!” I gape at her. “Now we have to get to the meeting and…”


“What meeting?” I demand.


“Cotillion meeting. There’s a whole slew of them today and tomorrow. We have to meet the rest of the chaperones, go through the rules and the like. And before you bitch some more, just think of all the society, sorry high society contacts I will be making.”


“Um, Mel excuse me but we really must be going soon.” Jennifer calls out.


“Of course, Jennifer.” She calls over her shoulder before turning back to me. “Remember under $800 each, including accessories and shoes. Do I have your word?”


“You have my word.” I growl out through clenched teeth.


“Good, I will see you both when I can. Apparently, these meetings tend to drag on.”


She kisses us both goodbye and sweeps back into the dressing room. Less than half an hour later, we are alone in the room.


“Mommy, what about this one?” Jenny holds up a skirt and top combo.


“Oh that’s lovely, darling.” I rally myself and then turn to the discreet cough behind me and find myself looking at a lady I hadn’t noticed before. “Yes, can I help you?”


“I’m Felicity, your consultant. That particular outfit is $4,000, for the skirt alone, and I couldn’t help overhear your conversation earlier with your companion…”


“It is very rude to listen in other people’s conversations.” I bridle.


“Of course, madam. However, I can show you some dresses etc within your price point, if you would like me to go shopping for you?”


I boil on the inside but nod. “Yes, why don’t you go do your actual job? Jenny, come on let’s sit down and wait for Fidelity to bring us some appropriate attire.”


“Yes, mommy.”


FELICITY


Oh you have made such a mistake! You want appropriate, I will give you appropriate! I smile as I head to the clearance rack and pick out some appropriate outfits for them to see and try on now...but that doesn’t mean they are going to wear them on the night! Then I spy the perfect ones...the dog dresses of the blow out sale!


“Sarah…” I call out to the other consultant. “Does this dress come in a teen size?”


“As many teen sizes as you want! You can see this monstrosity, can’t you?”


“Yes indeed, I can!” I laugh.


“So today is your last day then?” She smiles sadly at me.

 

“Yes and I am going out with one fuck of a bang!” I giggle and head back to their ladyships!

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks