- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I have taken some liberties with the rules of a cotillion, just so that the point was made to Lindsay

CHAPTER 13 - HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY AND HAPPY DANCING...FOR SOME


BRITIN - FRIDAY, TWO WEEKS LATER


KITCHEN


BRIAN


I look around the warzone that is my kitchen with Nya orchestrating the prep. What started off as a small event; has spiralled into this massive thing. Along with our three kids and their rapidly expanding friend base, Jennifer is also coming and has invited some cotillion members, most of whom already know Nya very well.


“So what exactly are we having?” I ask Nya, who is peering into a pot.


“The list is over there. It’s a southern theme and don’t even think of asking me to talk to Emmy. His ear is still buzzing from the flea I put in it!”


“Fuck... You’ve prepped all of this by yourself?” I gasp as I turn over the page.


“Yep.” She smiles at my expression. “Yeah, you are a fatty boy.”


“I beg your pardon!” I exclaim, looking down at my still trim frame.


“Try that.” She forks up a piece of browned fatty meat and I look dubious but she just holds it up to my lips. “I can do this all day. It tastes better hot.”


Sighing I take it in my mouth and it is melt in the mouth delicious! “What is that?” I nod and wait for her to slice another piece and she does so with a grin.


“Short ribs...cooked on the bone and then taken off and diced with the fat retained. Fat is flavour…” She snickers softly. “Do you want a bowl?” I nod. “Seriously, this is why I don’t cook with Kendi. She’s a picker.”


“Nya, can I ask you something really personal?” She nods. “It’s not about the girls or anything.” She waves at me to continue. “Why don’t you go to meetings with Justin?”


“I have a stutter.” She replies, smiling shyly. “And to speak in front of all those folks, makes it worse.”


“A stutter? But you don’t stutter when you’re with us.” I frown. “But why would that stop you from being named in the business?”


“Oh the naming thing. I’m very private. If people find out I’m worth what I’m worth, they get very interested indeed. I am known as BAB when I get hot headed.”


“BAB?”


“Birmingham Alabama Brawler.” She replies, taking the bowl off me and putting in spoonful of slaw in it. “Not sure on the seasoning.”


“Oh, that is so good!” I murmur and then look hopefully at the pot bubbling on the stove. “Um what’s in there?”


“BBQ beans with bacon.” She regards me for a few seconds. “Grab that apron, you don’t get to eat for free at my table!”


MICHAEL’S STORE - LUNCHTIME


MICHAEL


I sigh as yet again, that guy has contacted me. I can’t afford to pay him anymore, and I need to do something to get him to back the fuck off! But what? It would’ve been fine if it wasn’t for fucking mystery-man-no-more-Justin interfering!


“Brian, you are alive!” I gripe into the phone as I haven’t seen nor heard from him in a couple of weeks. “Was there a problem with the children? So where have you been? What the hell were you doing on the East Coast...oh I see. Yes, Emmett did mention it but I would’ve preferred the invitation to have come from my best friend. Speaking of you being my best friend, I need to talk to you about the store and...why won’t you change your mind about investing in it? It is doing really well and...alright, alright! So, what time should I get to Britin...what? So if not Britin, where is the BBQ happening? Oh at their place. Well I don’t know where that is, do I? Brian...did you hear me? What? Okay, can you just call me back with...hello? Brian, are you there?” I can’t believe it...he’s hung up!


MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - EVENING


LOUNGE


GUS


Oh, we have a major sulk-fest going on between Jenny and Mom! When Jenny heard about the BBQ for 4th July, she wanted to invite some of her friends from Canada, which was fine. What was not fine was that she expected, as per usual, to be spending the weekend at Britin and was hoping to show off to them. She had asked Mom if it was okay and she said, of course, except we’re not having it at Britin. It’s at Papa J’s and Kendi’s. She was furious and asked Mom to get Dad to change it to Britin. But Momma told her off...again...telling her that where people hold their events is up to them.


“What are you doing, Gus?” Momma comes to sit next to me and shakes her head with a smile. “How many cars was it in the end?” She points at the laptop.


“7…” She frowns. “...built up some credit. And I am sorting out the playlist for tomorrow. Do you want to have final approval?”


“You’re a sensible young man, Gus. You’re more than cap…” She pauses as I sigh. “Yeah, of course.” I turn the screen to her, we have some real old school soul, some rap, disco and something called funk. Hunter and I managed to sneak some of our choices in, but mostly it’s been the Double Ks, which is fine as they have great taste.


“Momma, can I tell you something really personal?” She nods. “I can’t dance at all. I mean not even a little bit. And this dance thing at the end of the month, it’s going to be so embarrass…”


“Gus, there will be no dancing in that sense. It is more a waltz thing and…”


“Waltz! That’s even worse, wait... what’s a waltz?” I tap on my keyboard and then groan. “I am not doing that!” She laughs and I elbow her in the ribs. “Not funny.”


“Oh my dear sweet Sonny Boy, let me show you something.” She taps on my screen and brings up a picture of the most enormous dress I have ever seen. “The girls have to wear something like this and it is a Junior Cotillion so all that will happen is you will walk around the girl to a count, of 1-2-3, 1-2-3 and trust me every single one of you are going to be as embarrassed as each other…”


“I won’t be!” Jenny declares, coming in with a smirk. I hate it when she eavesdrops! “I have been practising so I, like Kemi and Kendi, will be perfect.”


“There is a long time between now and the cotillion. Now go and set the table please, Gus.”


“Yes, Momma.” I close down my laptop and am about to leave it on the table when Momma picks it up.


“I’ll put it in your room, sweetheart.” She smiles at me and looks meaningfully at Jenny, who sits back in the seat. “By the way, how much credit did you get for washing those cars?”


I smile. “$400.” Jenny gasps. “I did inside and out.” I laugh quietly at the pinched expression on Jenny’s face. If she did the stuff that we do, then she would have extra pocket money too!


MEL


After I put the laptop away securely, I head to the office and find Lindsay tapping away on the computer. “What you doing?” I ask, rubbing her shoulders as she seems hunched over in tension.


“Trying to find the dresses from Kleinfeld.”


“What for?”


She turns to face me with a dreamy expression on her face. “It’s just so exciting to finally go to a cotillion. And for Jenny to be presented as well…”


I frown. “Um, Lindsay, Jenny is not being presented. She is attending as a guest.”


“We were invited by Jennifer to attend so, therefore, she is…”


“A guest...you both are. There are different grades of invitations. Those being presented along with their chaperones and those who are coming along as guests of the chaperones, which you are…” I trail off.


“But Mommy, I thought I was going to be like Kemi and Kendi and get to dance and…”Jenny cries from the doorway.


“You will, darling. Mom is mistaken.” Lindsay looks meaningfully at me, but I refuse to kowtow to their delusions.


“Mom is not mistaken. Let me get the handbook that Jennifer gave me for you to read. Times have changed since you were last almost at one, Lindsay. But that can be read after dinner.” I stand up and reach for the book. “Come on as I’m sure Gus has finished the table by now.”


TAYLOR RESIDENCE - SATURDAY MID-AFTERNOON


BACK GARDEN


NYA


I check my list for the fourth time. Appropriate since it’s Independence Day weekend. “Are you sure I can’t help, Aunt Nya?” Gus asks, looking round the garden in awe. “Still can’t believe you did this by yourself.”


“Not totally, Sonny Boy. I helped!” Brian objects.


“With the food yes, but not decorating the garden.” I point out before turning back to Gus. “Okay, you can do the fireworks...as in place them, not light!” I add quickly as he reaches for the box of matches.


“Okay. Where?” He grabs the boxes of fireworks and yells for Hunter to come and help him. “What about over there in the clearing between the trees? It will be nicely framed. Like a TV screen?”


“Perfect.” I grin. “Hop to it.”


“Now can I help?!” The imperious, but laughter filled voice of Emmy yells across the garden.


“Yes!” I yell back and he’s over to my side in seconds then snatches the menu out of my hand.


“Finally! Ooh girl, you have gone nutso. Potato salad, burgers, hot dogs, wings, ribs, macaroni salad, boozy watermelon, chips, dips, veggie salad, BBQ beans, devilled eggs...the list goes on and on. Where do I start putting stuff?”


For the next two hours, Emmy, Debs and I sort the food out. Double K, Gus and Hunter sorted out the blankets and throws and Justin and Brian were sorting out the bonfires for later. Finally, it is all done to my exact specifications and the sun has started to come out!


“Oh great, here comes the first dark cloud.” Emmy grumbles and I look at where he’s looking.


“And coming empty handed, I see.” Debs bitches. “Excuse me a minute.” She stalks over to Michael, who is practically running across the garden when he sees Brian. She puts a restraining hand on him and for a few minutes they have a somewhat heated, but definitely one sided conversation. She is talking and he is listening before he turns back the way he came. “We won’t be long!” She shouts back and follows him.


“I like this tougher Debs.” Emmy beams proudly at her retreating back.


“Why do you say tougher? Was there a time when she wasn’t?” I ask, frowning.


“All the time sweetie, all the time! But she’s stopped now and that makes me proud of her. Oh Teddy! Blake! Over here!” He calls out, waving at them. “You go and make yourself even more beautiful. We’ll handle the meet and greet; you’ve certainly done more than your share! I mean it...skedaddle!”


I grin at his southern officiousness and head to the house. After an hour, I feel somewhat more human again and go downstairs. The house is filled with chatter and people. The kids have already commandeered the music and some soft rock is playing.


“You’ve done it again!” Aunt Jennifer comes up giving me a kiss on my cheek. “And you look divine. But there is something missing...ah yes that would be a Bubbly William.” She presses a champagne flute into my hand. “Brian and Justin have been on bar duty and came up with this. Champagne with a slice of pear and a splash of pear liqueur. Bliss!”


“Where are the…”


“Kitchen bringing out the appetisers. No, you are not going to help. Emmy has put me on Keeping Nya Occupied duty. Besides, I do believe there is something else you could expend your energy on.” She grins evilly.


“Where are they?” I ask, knowing who she is talking about.


“Coming across the garden now. Jenny is leading her friends, the poor things, towards the house and Mel and Lindsay look like they may have had a row…”


“Playtime!” I snicker as I turn around. It doesn’t take them long to reach us and immediately, Mel greets us with a kiss on both our cheeks. “You look great Mel. Ah, you did get it in the end?” Mel blushes. “Told you it was going to be good on you.” I tease her and catch some serious side eye from Lindsay. “Lindsay, you look...nice. Jenny, why don’t you introduce us to your friends before you join the rest of the kids in helping bring out the appetisers?”


Jenny doesn’t even flinch and I know why as Gus got chatty. The cotillion. She is going to have to suck up everything if she wants to go. “Of course, this is Aunt Nya and Grandmom Jennifer…”


“Aunt Jennifer, darling. We’re not related like that, remember? We discussed it on the way back from New York. My granddaughters and Gus call me that.”


“Sorry, Aunt Jennifer.” She mutters. “So anyway, from left to right this is Gretchen, Sophia and Wendy. Now come along girls, let’s go and see what’s going on over there!” She points to where a group of children are playing a rousing game of softball.


“The kitchen is in the house, Jenny.” Aunt Jennifer stops her. “You need to go and help with the appetisers, remember?”


“Of course.” She says and heads to the house. “Come on, girls.”


“Jenny, they are your guests. Guests do not help.” I point out and her eyes widen. “Don’t worry as there isn’t that much to take out. Uncle Emmett will let you know what needs to be done.”


“They don’t mind helping me, do you?” She’s imperious and imploring, then annoyed when Gretchen doesn’t follow Wendy and Sophia to her side.


“Actually, I would like to speak to uh...Aunt Nya.” Gretchen says quietly, staring at me.


“Stay right here then, Gretchen. We won’t be long!” She snaps and stomps to the house.


“It’s the hair, isn’t it?” I smile and she nods. “Yes it’s all mine. Want to touch it?” She nods again and I sit down.


“Wow. Does it hurt to have it like that?” She asks.


“Nope. Kemi and Kendi did a great job.” I reply.


“Oh they are Jenny’s cousins, aren’t they?”


“Cousins? Oh no, sweetheart. They are the half-sisters of her brother Gus, on his father’s side. Why do you think they are cousins?”


“Because that’s what Jenny said they were. Do you think that I could get my hair like that?”


“Don’t see why not. Want me to do it for you?”


“Really!” She gasps. “Please, could you?!”


“Yeah, sit down. I can’t do my own because it’s too long, but can do anyone else’s.”


“Nya, why don’t you let Gretchen go with Jenny?” Lindsay’s tone is distinctly chilly.


“Because she wants me to do her hair and she asked oh so nicely!” I pat the space between my legs and Gretchen quickly sits down.


“Something some other young ladies could pick up as opposed to other affectations.” Aunt Jennifer sniffs. “Lindsay, could you come and help me get some drinks? Nya needs a top up. She’s done a spectacular job.”


“Of course, Jennifer...a spectacular job on what?”


“The BBQ, she did the food, the garden, in fact everything. She does it every year for us.”


“So multi-talented.” Lindsay snipes.


“In so many, many ways. Aren’t I, Mel? Have you shown her yet?”


“No and shush!” Mel blushes again and this time the gimlet eyed stare from Lindsay is directed at her. “It’s a surprise for your birthday and…”


“Oh hell! I didn’t realise it was a birthday present! I wouldn’t have said anything! Sorry!” I lie through my teeth.


“That’s okay. Her birthday is soon, but she will just have to be patient.” Mel smirks at me, her eyes dancing with amusement. “What are you drinking?”


“A Bubbly William, want a taste?” She nods. “Gretchen, can you do me a favour? Give the rest of the drink to, Aunt Mel. I assume that’s what you call her?” She nods. “I have to get a comb, won’t be long.”


MEL


I take the drink and drain it, thinking of ways to get Nya back for that! “So, Gretchen, you had a good time with Jenny and the others so far?”


I like Gretchen, she’s a studious girl, but has a bit of steel to her. The other two are too easily led by Jenny. “Yes, I can’t wait to see the owlets.”


“Owlets? Oh no, sweetie. They are at Britin. You might not be able to see them this weekend.”


“Here you go Mel, you take that one and...oh, where’s Nya gone?” Lindsay asks.


“To get a comb to do Gretchen’s hair. Gretchen, why don’t you go and get yourself a drink? I am sure Nya will be back by the time you are.” She nods and trots off and I and start to count down.


“So what is it that’s good on you that Nya knows about and I don’t?” Lindsay demands. “We don’t have any secrets from each other, do we?” Her voice is brittle.


“The perfume.” I reply. “You said it smelt wonderful this morning. I wasn’t going to get it but between the two devils on my shoulder, they persuaded me.”


“Two?” She queries, narrowing her eyes as Nya comes strolling back.


“They tag teamed me...Jennifer and Nya.” I shake my head and chuckle at the antics of the two of them that day. “They said either buy one or they would buy the entire set…”


“So why not let them buy it?” She demands, frowning.


“Seriously, Lindsay? Just because someone can buy you something doesn’t mean you should let them. Now have you stopped sulking?”


“I am not sulking. I just…”


“Hey guys!” Michael’s voice cuts her off. “When did you get here?”


“About 40 minutes ago. How about you?” Lindsay smiles.


“I would’ve been here earlier, but Ma made me go and buy some drinks. It’s not as if they wouldn’t have any themselves.” He grumbles, placing the cans by his feet.


“That’s not the point. You shouldn’t turn up to an event empty handed.” I point out and smile as Gretchen and Nya time their arrival perfectly. “Gretchen, could you take these cans to the drinks table for me please?” I sweep them up before he can get to them. “Then Aunt Nya can do your hair.”


“Okay, Aunt Mel. Can you hold my drink please?”


“Sure sweetie and don’t run with those.” I take her drink and give her the cans, biting the inside of my cheek at Michael’s indignant expression. “Problem?”


“Do you know where Brian is?” He asks, ignoring my question. “I haven’t seen him in ages!”


“He’s got snarled up in a business discussion with Jason Fitzhugh so he could be a while. Fuck me that man can talk!” Nya grumbles.


“Jason Fitzhugh?” Lindsay splutters “As in Fitzhugh and Summers?”


“Yes. He’s a crashing boor, but influential.” Then she looks around. “Where’d Gretchen go?”


“She’s coming back. How do you know them?” Lindsay is now all solicitation to Nya.


“One of Justin’s clients.” Nya sits on the cushion and puts the other one between her legs and a smiling Gretchen plops down. “You sure you can sit still for about an hour?”


“Oh yes!” She nods and Nya starts to do her hair.


“You know a lot about Justin’s clients, don't you? I am surprised.” Lindsay snarks, all solicitation now gone.


“Why wouldn’t she, Lindsay dear? She’s the CFO of his company and owns the other 50% of it.” Jennifer rejoins us. “And she’s right. The man is a crashing boor, but he is very influential. His daughter Meghan is going to be at the cotillion.”


Lindsay is just staring at Nya as she concentrates on Gretchen’s hair. “Nya is the what?” She gasps as Nya and Gretchen suddenly get up and move to a more shaded area of the garden.


“CFO and 50% stakeholder in JCT Venture Capital, Inc. They started it together, with backing from both sets of parents. Oh do excuse me, I’ve just seen Miranda Birch. I simply must talk to her. Mel, could you come with me please? She is definitely someone you want to be introduced to. She has a few gay and transgendered clients on her books, who need an attorney on their side.”


I can actually hear Lindsay swallow as I turn to her. “I won’t be long. Play nice now.”


LINDSAY


I watch Mel and Jennifer walk off, leaving me and Michael together. “Well what do you think of that?” I ask.


“She’s a dark horse. Oh, I didn’t mean it like…”


“I know, but it’s funny!” I laugh, grateful that we’re alone after that faux pas.


“I’m going to get a drink. Want another one?” He asks.


“No, I’m going to find Jenny. She’s been a gone a long time. She needs to socialise, not be part of the catering crew. I’ll bet you anything that Double Ks are not doing anything of the sort to help!” He nods and wanders off.


KITCHEN


JENNY


I am not happy! Not happy at all! I haven’t had a chance to speak to Kendi, and now I have to take out yet another tray of food. Well, I’m not! I’m directing Wendy and Sophia...and if Uncle Emmett thinks I am carrying food like some slave, he can think again!


“Jenny darling, what are you doing?” Mommy asks.


“Trying to get out of this place, but everytime I try I get handed something to do! It’s not fair.”


“Come on, let’s just leave them to it. They will have to find someone else.” She steers me out of the kitchen and then I spot Kendi and Kemi in the lounge.


“Wendy! Sophia!” I hiss just loud enough for them to hear. “Come on. Let me introduce you to the Double Ks, my dear friends and…”


“On what planet?” I turn around and find myself looking at a smiling Hunter.


He turns to Wendy and Sophia. “Don’t believe a word she says. “The Double Ks are only her dear friends when she wants something. I’m Hunter by the way, friend of Gus, her big bro, want me to introduce you to them?”


What the fucking hell is he doing?! I look at Mommy for guidance, but she’s no longer there.


“Uh, yes I guess so. I’m Wendy and this is Sophia.”


“Come on, then!”


I am flabbergasted as my supposed friends follow him without a word. I have no choice but to do the same.


“Double Ks! Hey! This is Wendy and this is Sophia, friends of Jenny. Gus said there is another friend called Gretchen, but she’s with Aunt Nya getting her hair braided.”


“Oh lucky her. She does the best braids. Hi I’m Kendi and this is Kemi. If you want to know the differences between us, just check out the eyes, I got mine from our Dad and she got hers from our Papa.”


“Do you live here and where are the owlets?” Sophia asks and I cringe slightly.


“No, I live in Britin with our Dad for now and that’s where the owlets are. Kendi lives here with our Papa for now too.”


“For now? Why?” I ask.


“Ah that’s on a strict need to know basis.” Gus laughs as he joins us and I seethe. I hate it when he knows something that I don’t!


“May I have your attention, everyone!” Uncle Brian’s voice booms out. “We are now ready to eat! And the kids are going first, just for the appetisers so they run that off a bit.”


“Come on Wendy, Sophie let’s go! I have friends that can eat their body weight in potato salad, so it’s best to get in ahead!” Kendi laughs and they drag them out.


“What about me?!” I demand, crossly.


“You can take the last tray of appetisers, can’t you?” Uncle Emmy tells me. “I will be right behind you.”


MICHAEL


Despite my best efforts, I have still not managed to speak to Brian. He’s either with Baby Ass’s snooty friends or with Baby Ass. I need to talk to him! I have to find a way to get him to give me some money.


“I don’t know half the people here!” I grumble to myself as I push through the crowd to get to the table.


“Wow, you’re a big boy! How old are you?” Some waiter asks.


“What? I’m not a child.” I snark at him and pick up a plate.


“Then I suggest you go wait with the adults, as we are serving the children first!” He snarks back.


I look around and put the plate down before storming to the bar area. “What happened to the days when the staff were silent and the children were seen and preferably not heard?!” I mutter to myself.


“The world moved on and it’s time you did, too.” I whip my head round to face the sanctimoniousness that is Blake.


“And what is that supposed to mean?” I demand.


“You’re a smart man, I’m sure you’ll figure it out.” He retorts and rejoins Ted, leaving me alone.


LINDSAY


I had spotted Cressida Barrett and just had to go and say hello. I was a little put out when I had to remind her of who I was, but I have a number! It’s a start! I look around for Mel and she’s talking to someone I think I recognise so I make my way over. As I get closer, I freeze...of all the people she is talking to, I didn’t think it would be my cousin, Meredith Short-Croft! I haven’t seen her in years! Pasting on a smile, I head in that direction.


“Meredith! Is that you?!” I cry in delight.


“Lindsay, how lovely to see you!” She kisses me on both cheeks and I blench at the overpowering smell of her perfume. I almost gag as she leans in closer. “So who do you know?”


“First, how do you know my partner Mel?” I smile sweetly.


“Oh we met in New York at the cotillion meetings. Lucille is being presented. She’s so excited and keeps checking that her dress is in her wardrobe!”


“Jenny, who is our daughter and Gus…”


“Yes Mel has said that she’s going to be attending as a guest, as are you. It will be good for Jenny to have a parent with her. Chaperoning takes up a lot of time, but the rewards are great. The connections the girls make are immense, although Lucille has known Kendi for a long time.”


“P-pardon?”


“Yes, they went to junior high together for a few years before we moved and kept in touch. It’s always nice to have a few friends to meet up with at these kind of events, all nervous together! Oh, Mel, that’s what I meant to ask you... How are you getting there? We could have all the girls go together and then the chaperones follow. We did that before and it worked well, but then of course, there’s the size of their dresses...are theirs full skirted?”


“Oh I don’t know. I haven’t seen them. I would need to speak to Jennifer.”


“Okay, we have time. But I would suggest that wherever it is you go from, you go from the same place. Having people get dressed and then try and meet up on time is a recipe for disaster. When Chase was presented, he and his friends were almost late because they were in different locations!”


Suddenly there is a scream and everyone turns to look at the noise. With about as much dignity as a stampeding rhino, Nya is running to the house.


“What on earth is going on there? Such a lack of decorum!” I shake my head.


“You’d be screaming like that too, if your partner was on a Doctors without Borders mission for the last six months and then quarantined for the last two. She’s not seen him in 8 months. It was such a hardship keeping that quiet!” Meredith smirks at Mel. “I thought we would have to gag you at one point!”


“Well nobody told me it was a secret before then!” She laughs and I seethe!


“Oh no!” Meredith gasps. “Excuse me, I know that look. Harold…!” She calls out to her husband. “Step away from the devilled eggs!”


“Mommy!” Jenny is by my side and looking miserable. “None of my friends are playing with me. Once again, Kemi and Kendi are taking things that belong to me.”


Nobody belongs to you, Jenny. And if you take that sourpuss expression off your face, then you might make more friends!” Mel berates her.


“Now look what you’ve done!” I snap as Jenny’s eyes fill with tears and she runs back to the house.


“No, Lindsay. Look what you’ve done! Stop trying to make her into you in small form. It’s not the help you think it is. In fact, it is very much a hindrance!”


She walks off, leaving me in a quandary. Do I follow her and give her a tongue lashing? Or do I soothe my daughter? No doubt, Mel will say something else to piss me off, so she can wait!


EARLY EVENING


TED


It has been the most awesome 4th of July BBQ ever! The kids had us up and dancing to music and playing games. I can’t help but notice how the family have a little part of the garden to themselves and everyone is respectful enough to leave that to them. Well, almost everyone. The amount of times that Debs has gotten between Michael and that particular area has been amusing to watch. But in the end, Jennifer shifted people along so that they formed a human cordon that no Novotny called Michael could get through.


The other piece of amusement for the group is that Jenny and Lindsay had to go home, and all because Jenny wasn’t the centre of attention. To remedy this, she decided to help herself to the Mint Julep, so about three glasses later, she was throwing up so badly that Mel ordered Lindsay to take her home! Lindsay was fuming when Mel not only refused to go with her, but also said that Jenny’s friends and Gus weren’t going either. Jenny’s antics weren’t going to ruin their evening!


We’re all standing around the long tables waiting for the main dishes. Nya finally came downstairs and orchestrated that. Her partner, Tobias is fascinating; he and Blake have exchanged numbers as he’s now back in the States for a year and is looking for something to do.


“Okay people!” Nya bellows. “Take your seats. Apart from this top table, anyone can sit where they want!”


Soon everyone is seated and Nya nods to the servers. Soon we are eating heartily, but I am watching the interaction between Brian and Justin. He has not taken his eyes off him since Justin loaded up his plate with ribs…


BRIAN


Oh for fuck! I take a deep breath as Justin starts eating the rib from the bottom slowly savouring each and every piece until he gets to the head of the rib, where there is an unctuous combination of fat and meat. He is in a world of his own. If he’s doing this deliberately, I think I shall kill him slowly...as he wraps his teeth round the head of the rib and bites down, pulling it off and leaving a trail of rib juice on his chin. He sucks his fingers clean and then takes up a napkin to wipe his chin. I swallow hard, and think about rotting garbage. He finishes the ribs and signals the waiter, who nods and then comes back with a bowl of the short ribs mix...which I am proud to say I thought of, and he starts to make a taco...again with the meat juices! I adjust myself slightly and think of dead whales and rotting garbage.


But the wings are it for me! As he sucks the meat delicately off the bone I have to do something! I get up and stride to his end of the table. “Put that down now and get up!” I order.


“Why? What’s wrong?” He licks his lips.


“You teasing twat!” I growl and haul him out of his seat and over my shoulder.


“Brian!” Voices call out, among them Michael!


“Enjoy the fireworks people! I sure as fuck will!” I yell back as I stride to the house.


KEMI


“Kinney Kids assemble!” I yell and Gus and Kendi join me. “Hi five...touchdown! There is a god!” I yell and we all hug each other! “Now all we have to do is whatever it takes to keep them together!”


TED


We all just gape as Brian strides into the house with Justin, squirming and beating on his ass. I have an idea. “Blake, the mic, give me the mic!” I order and he quickly hands it to me. “Let’s get it on...ah baby...let’s get it on…” I start to sing and the whole garden, with the exception of the one fly in the ointment, erupts with laughter and follows my lead.


JUSTIN’S BEDROOM - 5 MINUTES LATER


JUSTIN


“Brian!” I squeak as he dumps me on the bed and then pins me there.


“First, you wear this! Then, you avoid me all day leaving me to battle Fitz-fucking-Hugh by myself and then you eat like that!” I glare at him. “Not fair! Not fair at all!”


“I wasn’t doing it deliberately. I was just…” I trail off as he strokes my top lip.


“You are so beautiful to me. Can’t you see…” I am stunned into silence when he starts to sing and by the time he finishes, I have tears pooling in my ears from my leaking eyes.


“Oh. That was…”


“I love you.” He whispers against my mouth. “I think I did the moment I saw you again.”


“Show me. Show me, how much you love me, and I will show you how much I love you.”


As he covers my mouth with his, I let out the breath I have been holding for 15 years. Our tongues dance languidly, but that isn’t enough. I tug on his hair. “Mmm?” He murmurs, nuzzling my neck.


“By show me, I meant fuck me till I my balls are empty.


“Now you’re talking!” He growls and sits up and in one swift move tears open my shirt.


I gasp in surprise and shake my head when he looks at me. I have no idea where the buttons land, nor do I care. He’s obviously reassured as his tongue is demanding entrance to my mouth. I am trying to undo my pants, his pants and run my fingers through his hair at the same time, but I don’t have enough hands. Tearing my mouth away from his, I gasp. “A little help here!”


He sits up and rips off his shirt and then gets up to tear off the rest of his clothes, I follow his lead until we are both naked and panting. “Lie down! Legs spread!” He orders. I am so turned on, I just obey and then give a slightly undignified squawk as he deep throats me.


“Awwwwk!” I yell and then feel myself being propelled up the bed by his fingers working me open. “Bri...Br...Unh!” I squirm at the intensity of each push. “Bee...been a while! Sl-slow down!” I manage to gasp out. I go cross eyed when he shakes his head whilst still deep throating me.


“Hot diggity dog!” I shriek and I can feel the orgasm, rushing from my toes and my head to meet in the middle. “Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn!” I scream as all the pleasure in the world hits my cock. I pump frantically into his throat and when he holds me down and sucks harder, I start to cum again before I have finished cumming the first time.


“What the fuck did you say that for?!” He slides up my body, shaking with laughter.


“St...stars!” I mutter, trying to get my vision to adjust quickly. “Say what?”


“Jesus wants me for a sunbeam!” He is snorting with laughter now.


“I didn’t?!” I giggle.


“Yes, very loudly!” He chortles. “Thank god the fireworks started!”


I look at the window and I can see flashes. “Speaking of fireworks...lie down on your stomach.” He kisses me softly, then obeys. I marvel at the curve of his spine to his ass. “I really hope I remembered this part.”


I softly part his cheeks and there it is... my manna from heaven. Without much preamble, I work my tongue in and slide it a tiny bit to the left.


“JUSTIN!” He bucks up, but I push him back down and spread his legs further. I keep licking and jabbing my tongue at that particular spot because that was what rendered him a gibbering pile of need and soaked the sheets. He scrambles up, tucks his knees under his chest and holds his cheeks open. I add a finger. Then another and start to stretch him gently.


“Oh mother fuck! Oh mother fuck!” He ripples like a seal as I plunder his hole. “Don’t stop!”


I reach between his legs and grab his jumping, twitching cock and slowly start to jerk him off in time with my stabbing and licking. “Can’t! Can’t!” He yells, rocking back and forth and punching the bed. I slow my strokes and concentrate on his head, flicking the slit in time. “I-I! I...oh...oh...oh! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!” He yells and copious amounts of spunk spray across the bed. When he stops trembling, he is swift to move and pin me on my back.


“Till your balls are empty, you say!” He snarls before slamming his mouth against mine, rendering my answer moot. As his tongue enters my mouth, his cock enters my ass and I wrap my legs round him. Then he starts to move. There is nowhere for me to go, nothing for me to do except feel...feel his thick and wide cock, plundering me at the same time as his tongue stabs down my throat. I grunt with every thrust. They are hard and sharp, but I don’t care. I want to feel this hot brutality of his yearning for me. I push back to meet him, to tell him fuck me harder!


He adjusts his position and lifts one leg higher over his shoulder, without breaking the kiss. The next thrust feels like it is coming from the depths of hell as it’s all heat, and yet again I can feel the build-up; the tingles; the sparks; the rippling of my body as he starts to take me to heaven by pulling on my cock. I try to break the kiss but he won’t let me. Instead, he does slow down a bit, making it less intense...but I yank his hair hard and he speeds up. I suck in desperate amounts of air through my nose as the pleasure starts to skyrocket. I yelp and scream into his mouth when it hits me and hits me hard. He pins me to the bed with all of his weight as my climax short circuits my entire body. There is an enormous bang and a roar... and that is all I remember.


JUSTIN’S BEDROOM - NEXT MORNING


BRIAN


I look under the bed, in the trash can, everywhere...I can’t find it and then I look down! “Oh fuck!” I sigh and look at a sleeping Justin and know I have to wake him and tell him. I brush the hair from his face and shake him gently. He slowly starts to wake up.


“Hmmm. Ouch!” He winces and then mock glares at me before his face falls. “What?”


“We need to talk. But first, the bathroom.” He follows me slowly and I can see the sadness in his eyes. We brush our teeth in silence and when we’re done, he heads to the door. “Where are you going?”


“Downstairs, I thought…” He replies quietly.


“Justin, come here.” I lift the sheet and he gets in, but as near to the edge of the bed as he can.


“Just say it.” He sighs.


“The condom broke.” I reply quietly. “I found the remains of it round my cock this morning. I have been tested. The last result was 6 weeks ago, I’m negative and I haven’t tricked since you came back into my life…”


“The condom broke?” He repeats.


“Yeah. I just wanted to let you to know that you’re going to be okay.”


“Um, not necessarily.”


“Why not?” I frown and then my eyes widen. “You mean you can still...?”


“Yeah. I know it sounds stupid, but I wanted it as an insurance policy that I never would…”


“Would what?”


“Let anyone else have me. This is only for you.” He starts to move closer to me before I haul him into my arms to kiss him soundly.


“Can you still carry?” He asks and I shake my head. “Why not?”


“I got post-partum bleeding and they had to take it out.” He rests his head on my shoulder and twirls his fingers round my nipple, causing me to squirm. “Stop it. You know how sensitive they are.”


“So last night…” He starts. “I meant everything I said.”


“Including Jesus wants me for a sunbeam?” I snicker and he buries his face deeper into my neck.


“Maybe not that. But everything else.” He whispers.


“Me too.” I whisper back.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks