- Text Size +

CHAPTER 21 - KARMA-KARMA-CHAMELEON AND READING THE FINE PRINT


TED AND BLAKE’S HOUSE - SATURDAY AFTERNOON


KITCHEN


TED


Ems ended up staying last night. We’re all just staring at each other unable comprehend how mendacious and stupid Michael was...and still is, if we’re being completely honest.


“So now what?” Ems, as usual, can’t stand silence.


“We find someone that can beat Michael to a bloody pulp?” Blake asks hopefully, which at least makes us laugh and smile a bit. “But seriously, we need to get Mason away from Pittsburgh.” He reaches for his phone and starts to flick through it. “Hang on a second, I think I might have someone who can help.”


An hour later, there is a knocking on the door and a very wary and tired looking Hudson steps inside.


“How’s he doing?” Blake asks kindly as he hands him some coffee.


“Waking up intermittently, but his vitals are good.”


“Great. Now look, I know a facility that has a bed. He can go there…” He pats Hudson’s hand as he gapes at him. “...we’ve been there and we’ve done that. It’s a private facility though. Do you have access to the account, as in do you have a card for it?”


“No, he has it. It was just in my name.”


“Shit!” Blake sighs.


“We are going to need a little bit of help. And I know just the person! Hold on!” Ems declares and gets up to rifle through his bag to pull out his phone. “Nya sweetie! Listen…” I leap at him but he moves quickly out of my reach. “...hang on, sweetie.” He glares at me. “I am not going to tell her anything about last night, Teddy! I am not stupid…!”


“But you haven’t put me on mute, so what happened last night?” Nya’s voice floats from his phone.


He looks suitably embarrassed and hands me his phone. “Nya, it’s Ted. Look, we can’t tell you anything right now, but I promise to tell you later, when all the dust settles. Is that good enough? I have a friend with an accounting problem in that his brother has access and he’s afraid he will drain the account. Is there anything...no it’s nothing to do with the kids. Please Nya, can you let me tell you after? Thank you.” I heave a sigh of relief. “She wants to talk to you.” I tell Hudson.


Half an hour later, he has full access to the account and we are all gaping at the screen. Yes, we knew he had paid him but not that much! And where was he getting the money from?


“First things first, get the facility money paid. At least, that’s going to do something good.” I sigh, but perk up slightly at the thought of the next stage of my plan. “Then empty it bar $1 and then the fun really starts!”


TAYLOR RESIDENCE - 20 MINUTES LATER


OFFICE


NYA


So the boys are up to something, are they? I shall be a good little ferret and wait for Ted to tell. But in the meantime, I think a little bit of investigating is called for. Yes, we found out about the money to Reed, but there is something deeply unpleasant and nefarious about that Michael Novotny. What he said about Kemi, notwithstanding, should’ve had him being tube fed for life! I take a calming breath and centre myself… need to be calm, I do my best work when I am calm.


Opening my laptop and humming the tune Heigh-Ho from Snow White, I start to dig-dig-dig-dig-dig into his financial life and find an interesting email. Looks like we didn’t have to do anything to him after all! But I am so glad that we did! He had a personal line of credit that we messed with but the business one... oh it is going to be so much fun to hear him scream about that!


MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - SUNDAY MORNING


JENNY’S ROOM


LINDSAY


As much as I love my daughter and I do, she has to learn to curb her tongue and pick her battles. She rationalises her outburst, saying that she’s frustrated by the unfairness of a situation, which I understand. But be strategic! It worked with Brian for years until Nya interfered!


“But Mommy...I was so humiliated!”


“I know darling, but swearing and shouting at your Mom alone is one thing. Swearing at her under your breath just loud enough for her to hear this morning was very foolish and I won’t have you do that. You were very lucky that I wasn’t there last night…”


“What? Why?!” She gasps affronted and for the first time, her tone is sharp and I don’t like it one bit.


“Jenny, do not take your frustrations out on me. You caused yourself to be grounded for the next three days. You’re lucky I managed to persuade her to give you the tablet back. At least, you can watch movies up here.”


She flings herself backwards onto the bed and tears slide down her face. “I’m sorry Mommy, but not one of them has contacted me…”


“Darling, this is because they haven’t done anything wrong and you know that. Well at least, if you are being honest with yourself. There is an old English proverb that is particularly apt at this point, want to hear it?” She nods her head and accepts the tissue to wipe her face. “You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.” I am unsurprised when she looks confused. “What that means is that you have more chance of getting what you want by being nice than you do if you are being nasty.”


“I’m not being nasty.” She objects, crossing her arms hard and pouting.


“It’s not your opinion that matters.” I tell her firmly and get up. “Think about what I have said. I’ll see you later.” As I shut the door, I hear that familiar muffled scream of frustration. But do I hear it differently now? Sighing, I head to our bedroom and lie down, and I think back to the conversation we had with Gus....


Start of flashback

MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - A WEEK AGO MONDAY EVENING


OFFICE



“But Mel…” I begin again. “The lock is a bit much, don’t you think? Especially as you went behind my back to get Nya to bring it.”


“For the second time, I did not get Nya to bring it. Gus explained to me why the lock was present and he will explain it to you when they call us, now…” She pauses. “...I thought I heard something...Jenny, is that you?”


The door opens and she steps inside. “Have they called yet?” She takes a seat nearest me.


“No, not yet…”


“Good. I didn’t want to miss it.”


“But you are going to miss it. This conversation has nothing to do with you.” Mel tells her and opens the door. “Go to your room please. If there is anything of pertinence to you, we will come and tell you.”


“Mommy, can you please explain to me, why I have to leave? This is a family discussion and I am part of the family, aren’t I?” She looks at me through her lashes.


“Yes, of course you are, darling…” She smiles at me and then looks at Mel with one eyebrow raised...raised a la Brian. Since when does she do that? “...but Gus has asked for it to be just his parents and we’re honouring that request. Now go and do as your mom says.”


“If I was making such a big decision, I would want the opinion of all members of my family. I’m pretty sure that he’s discussed it with his sisters and…”


“But you are not making that decision.” Mel tells her. “And who he has discussed it with prior to us is his business. Ah, can you grab that Lindsay and tell them we won’t be long.”


“Brian, just hang on a second. Jenny the quicker you go, the quicker we can have this conversation and then tell you what’s happening.” I try to reason, but still she remains seated and is looking at me, appealingly. “Brian, listen can I call you back so we can reschedule this…” Both Mel and Jenny look stunned. “No, no, it’s just not convenient now. Thanks. I’ll explain when I call you back. Bye.”


“Lindsay…?” Mel begins her face starting to twist in annoyance.


“Let’s eat first. I’m a little hungry and you know what I’m like when I’m hungry and this is going to be an emotional call.”


“Okay, I guess.” She concedes and Jenny gets up.


“Can we have Chinese tonight instead of cooking?” Jenny asks me and I nod. “Great! I’ll order for all of us!” She skips out.


“Text Brian and get him to call you at work tomorrow. No matter what time, I will be there!” I talk quickly and quietly then follow Jenny to the kitchen. “No darling, I’ll order for us! We need to have more than spring rolls!”


MEL’S OFFICE - TUESDAY AFTERNOON


MEL


I am still waiting for Lindsay to arrive. To say I was stunned by her actions last night was an understatement, but I am glad she did what she did! Jenny gets her stubbornness trait from her now favourite uncle. Of all the habits to pick up from Michael, she picks that one...well that one amongst others!


“Sorry! Sorry!” Lindsay comes dashing in shaking her head. “Problem at the gallery.”


“It’s fine.” I reassure her, kissing her hello. “You’re not actually late. So why did you do…”


“What I did last night?” I nod. “We promised him...and we never break a promise.” She replies simply and I feel a touch of pride at that. But is this a case of it being too little too late?


“Showtime.” I say as the phone rings and I put it on speaker. “Hi Brian, Gus and is Justin there, too?”


“Yes, I’m here too.” He replies with a slight edge to his voice.


“Great. Shall we begin…?”


“Yeah, um…”


“It’s just us, Gus. We promised and we have delivered. Now can you tell us why you want to live with your father...I mean fathers?” Lindsay winces as she corrects herself.


“Because I can’t bear to live with Jenny anymore!” He exclaims. “She’s my sister and I love her, but she’s also a nasty bully and I don’t like bullies! She’s always hovering, trying to get into my stuff, listening into conversations that don’t concern her and the fact that nobody seems to punish her for it apart from Mom hurts...it fucking hu-hurts and it’s not f-fair!”


“You mean me, don’t you?” Lindsay voice is breaking but she has to hear this.


“Yes.” He replies quietly. “You never see her doing bad things as wrong. She’s frustrated, she’s only 12, she’s this, she’s that...she needs me more than Gus does…” He sniffs and we hear Brian whispering to him encouraging him to continue. “How do you know that? You’ve never asked what I want. You just assume that I will get it from Dad, but I can’t get your love and support from him! Don’t you see it has to come from you and I don’t feel like it does…”


“Oh Gus…”


“Lindsay.” I stop her. “Just listen.”


“But he’s being slightly unfair to me and to Jen…”


“There! See you’re doing in again! Always quick to defend her!”


“Calm down, Sonny Boy. Look maybe we should take a break for a second…”


“Do you know what she said about Kemi?!” He yells. “Would you be so quick to defend her then?!”


“Gus. Stop now.” Justin is firm. “We’re taking a break…”


“But she said it! She did! I don’t care that she overheard it; she still shouldn’t have fucking said it!” We exchange worried looks as Gus gulps some air. “And...and by saying fucking nothing, you’re doing the same as what Mom is!”


There is complete silence for a few minutes before Brian clears his throat. “Is that what you really think, Sonny Boy?”


“She’s my sister, dad. Her being drunk or fucking not and even though it was said fucking years ago...Kemi’s my sister.” He is now sobbing hard.


“Brian, what did she say? Is this the thing you said you would tell me?” I demand quietly. “If so, I would like you to tell me now.”


“She said that the person was right, Kemi shouldn’t have survived the birth.” The catch in his voice is unmistakeable.


“Fuck!” I breathe and then start to get mad. “Who was it?”


“Who’d you think?!” Lindsay exclaims. “Michael! It has to be him! Is it him?!”


“Go and get him cleaned up. I’ll wrap it up here.” Justin tells Brian and soon we hear the click of the door. “Yes, it was Michael but we are handling it. So don’t do or say anything to him or Jenny. Promise me, you won’t?”


Lindsay takes a shuddering breath, but nods at me. “We promise. But when the shit goes down, we want to be there!”


“Mel, that I can promise you. I’ve got to go. We’ll speak later. Bye.”


We sit in silence for a few minutes before she sighs heavily. “What the hell have I done?”


“Created a monster in your own image.” I reply bluntly and she glares at me. “Watch Jenny; I mean really watch her. You’ll see what I mean.”

End of flashback


JENNY


I know that Mommy is just paying lip service to Mom at the moment. If she wasn’t, then she wouldn’t have gotten my tablet off of her. But right now, I am going to take a leaf out of How I Get My Own Way Always by Jenny Marcus Peterson and Uncle Michael and put a plan in place to bring everyone to heel. Pasting on my most sorrowful expression, I head downstairs.


LOUNGE


They look up when I enter on their command. “You were told to…” Mom begins.


“I know. But I’ve been giving it some thought and I was wrong, oh so very wrong about everything and I need to make amends.”


“Really darling, that is wonderful!” Mommy exclaims. “So how do you propose to do that?”


“Call everyone and say sorry…” My stomach roils at the word, but I know I have to keep going. “...for everything. I want my family and friends back.”


“Okay!” Mom smiles at me and goes to get my phone. “Sit here and let’s start with the person you hurt the most.” She looks at me expectantly.


“Gus?” I ask quietly. When she nods, I dial his number.


“Yes.” He clips out when he picks up.


“Gus. I’m sorry, sorry for everything.”


Nothing, not a word.


“Is that it?” He demands.


“Yes. I mean it. I’ve been horrible to you, to everybody and…”


“You sound more convincing on film.” He retorts. “You have a lot more calls to make.”


“Do you…” I start, but then realise that he has hung up. It takes everything to not react as normal. “At least, I tried.”


“True. It will take time though. So next person is…”


JENNY’S ROOM - TWO HOURS LATER


JENNY


God, this being presented at the cotillion and taking their new friends away is going to be so fucking worth that shit I just said!


MEL


My heart aches with disappointment. She never apologised to Kemi for what she repeated. How I wish she had because then, I would’ve believed her. Then there’s Lindsay. Her own lack of apology to Justin also jarred my soul. How quick she was to highlight Michael’s viciousness, while blithely ignoring her own! They’re not changing; they are just pretending they are. And when all their chickens comes to roost, they can’t complain for reaping what they sow! I just hope that we, as a family, survive it.


MICHAEL’S COMIC BOOK STORE - MONDAY MORNING


OFFICE


MICHAEL


I look at the screen again. “No, that’s not right. Not fucking right at all!” I mutter and pick up the phone. It takes ages for the bank to answer and when they do, they are gratingly cheery.


“Yes, I wonder if you can help me. Can you explain where my $10,000 line of credit has disappeared to?! I have had the amount for the last 6 years with no problems! No, I will not calm down! I need that credit! How can you just take something away without checking with the client first?! I never received any such thing! Let me put you on speaker, while you send this alleged email!” I jab the screen so hard that the phone slides across the desk and almost falls on the floor. But in grabbing it, I manage to cut off the call. “For fuck sake!” I roar and am just about to redial, when they call me. “Michael Novotny speaking!” I yell and relish her gasp in surprise. “You cut me off! This is only adding to your list of failures! Now I am going to put you on speaker, try not to cut me off again. Can you hear me still?”


“Yes, Mr Novotny, I can hear you. I am sending the email to you advising you of the cancellation of your credit line. Can you let me know when you receive it?”


I stare at the screen and immediately, it pops up and my heart starts to race! “I never received that email!”


“Would you like me to send you the read receipt, Mr Novotny?”


“Read receipt? What does that even mean?!”


“It means that, you’ve opened and presumably read the email, Mr Novotny…”


“Well obviously I read it, you idiot! I’ve just told you that!” I screech.


“Kindly do not be abusive, Mr Novotny. The read receipt to which I am referring to is the previous email that we sent you. Over a month ago.”


“A month ago. I tell you I never received the email and I certainly would not have asked you to shut down the line of credit option on the account!”


“You didn’t ask us, Mr Novotny. That’s the point.”


I can feel the blood rushing to my face. “And what is that supposed to mean???!!”


“Mr Novotny, I will ask you again to remain calm. I shall send the first email again together with the read receipt. Can you confirm that you have got them and tell me the date of the first letter?”


It comes through and I quickly open it, looking forward to blasting them for their colossal mistake and demanding remuneration! “Oh my fucking God!” I gasp and feel my body go cold.


“As you can see, Mr Novotny, both emails contain the same wording...if we do not hear from you advising otherwise, we will assume you no longer require the line of credit and will cancel it accordingly. And the read receipt indicates that you read it five minutes after it arrived and then trashed it…”


“But...but...that means it’s down to me to…” I can feel my world start to tilt.  


”Yes, Mr Novotny. At First Bank, we believe in banking ethically, intelligently and responsibly. Therefore, we place the responsibility of determining what services the customer does or doesn’t want with the customer. However, I am able to offer you the return of the line  of credit …”


“Oh, thank goodness!” I breathe. “Please accept my apologies for my outbursts earlier, but I was obviously very upset at the time…”


“Not at all. Apology accepted. So do you want us to go through the application process again?”


“Application?”


“Yes. Every line of credit has an application form. It’s the same as it was the first time you applied.”


“Oh I see. Yes, please, if you could do that. Will I be needed for this call or can you do this for me?”


“We can process this for you and then let you know when you have the line of credit back.”


“Great, how long will that take?”


“About an hour or so. We do have a lot of applications to get through.”


“Not a problem. Thanks. Speak to you later. Bye.” I hang up before she can say anything else. “Well that was fucking annoying. But time to eat!”


DINER - 90 MINUTES LATER


DEBS


Most of the family are all here, but they’re not. I mean they are here physically but they are distant and cold, especially Ems, towards Michael. Ted took one look at him sitting there and walked straight back out again.


“So how are you guys?” I ask, sitting opposite Michael and wishing I wasn’t. I taught him to eat better than that. A dog eating its last meal has better manners!


“Oh fine, just fine Ma. Emmett, you okay? You’ve been quiet and hardly touched your pancakes.”


“Fine thanks, just not as hungry as I thought I was. Oh here comes Nya! Cooee over here!”


“What’s she doing here?” Michael grumbles.


“Meeting her friend, which would be me, for a shopping trip. Is that a problem for you?” Em snipes back.


“No, but Jenny has been saying how mean she is to her and I think someone should get her to back off.”


“Why are you so staunch in your defence of her all of a sudden?” Ems asks scowling...oh what the hell now?!


“I’m not. I just feel that she has been abandoned now that the twins are here.”


“You can’t say you’ve been abandoned when you push people away.” Nya retorts.


“You don’t…” Michael begins, but is interrupted by his phone. “Michael Novotny speaking. Oh yes, what? No?! No - you can’t?! But why?! I don’t understand! You have to reinstate it! You have to! Wait, let me call you back. I’ll be half an hour!” He hangs up, looking pale and frightened. “Oh my god, fuck shit and fuck!”


“Michael, what on earth is the matter?!” I demand, quickly looking at Nya, who clearly knows something is up.


“It’s the bank!” He gulps. “They took away my line of credit and…”


“I thought they came as standard on all personal bank accounts now. It’s down to you to say you want it.” Nya frowns and Ems and I try to look concerned...we cancelled that with great relish.


“Not the personal one; the business one. And I had to reapply and they’ve rejected it, saying I am a bad risk! I need to sort this out! I need to speak to Brian. Brian will help me!” His eyes are filled with genuine tears as he gathers his things and runs out of the diner.


“Wow, I didn’t think we did that!” I laugh. “And the idea that Brian is going to help him...”


“We didn’t.” Nya grins. “He fucked himself over. And he doesn’t appear to have noticed the personal one either. Such a great shame that this happening to such an upstanding pillar of the community…” She drawls.


“Isn’t it though.” I chuckle. “So where you two off to?”


“Lorrimor’s. According to this fashion maven, they have the perfect pair of jeans for my frame. I will believe it when I see it personally.” Ems has regained his cheer. “Come along, sweetie. Debs, we will see you later.”


“Bye!” I call to their retreating backs as she hauls him out.


CAR TO LARRIMOR’S


NYA


I look across at Emmy and smile. “Does Teddy know you’re meeting me?”


“No.” He frowns and then his light comes on.


“How about we say I got you drunk and it just came out?”


“We would obviously have to get drunk for this to be plausible.” He grins.


“Of course.” I nod sagely. “‘But first let me prove to you how right I am about the jeans!”


BUTCHER & RYE - FOUR HOURS LATER


EMMY


Okay, I concede she was bang on about the jeans. They fit me perfectly, but now we are lounging and waiting for cocktails to be brought forth.


“So before you confess all, did you hear how I reacted to what Michael said about Kemi?”


“Yes, I was impressed that it took 4 of them to get you back indoors...oh I see...it’s going to take more than that! Much, much more!” I take a deep breath.


“You know what, we’ve had a great day. Let’s not ruin it. Ted said he will tell me and I will let him do that. Deal?”


I heave a sigh of relief and smile. “Deal and I get the first dance at the cotillion.”


“Of course, you do!” She grins and we clink our glasses. As I sip my cocktail, Louis Armstrong’s dulcet tones fill the bar, and I think to myself...what a wonderful girl!

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thank you.