- Text Size +

CHAPTER 26 - WELL IF THAT DON’T BEAT ALL!


TAYLOR RESIDENCE - TUESDAY EVENING


LINDSAY


I take a deep breath and ring the bell. When Justin opens the door, he looks surprised and unimpressed. “Yes?”


“May I come in?” His answer is to step aside silently. “Thank you. Is your mother here?” He points to the lounge and then heads towards the stairs. “I would like to speak to you too, if I may?”


He frowns and then shrugs before opening the lounge door where Jennifer is sitting with Kendi and Kemi. I swallow hard. “I have something for you, Kemi.” She looks confused. “It’s from Jenny.” I hand her the letter that I had to stand over her to make her write.


“What is it?” She asks warily.


“Please, could you read it?” I ask as I sit down. She nods, then opens it. Her eyes widen as she reads it, and then she folds it and hands it to Kendi.


“How’d you get her to do that?” Kemi demands as Kendi reads it and then whistles.


“She’s never been spanked before and wasn’t willing, for once, to test my seriousness or Mel’s.”


“What do you want, Lindsay?” Brian’s voice startles me and again, I swallow hard, as I see Gus following him in.


“To bring that letter…”


“She’s still got you doing her bidding.” Jennifer shakes her head in disbelief and her face filled with disgust.


“No. She doesn’t know I’m here. In fact, she’s in Chicago with Mel, but that’s irrelevant. I wanted to bring that letter and also, to apologize to you both in person, Jennifer and Justin for what I said all those years ago…”


“What did you say?” Kendi growls.


“That you-your father was a freak of nature with loose morals when I heard he was pregnant.” I say and wait for the explosion, which isn’t long in coming. And it hurts like hell as Kendi cracks me across the face!


“Kendi!” Jennifer exclaims. “Lindsay, are you…”


“No!” I declare, rubbing my cheek. “I deserved it! I deserved it…”


“Yes you did, but still…” Jennifer trails off and then regards me, coolly. “Hurt to be on the receiving end, didn’t it?”


“Nobody likes to be slapped, Grandmom Jennifer.” Gus frowns.


“No, she doesn’t mean that, Gus. She means to be on the receiving end of Jenny’s temper and actions, and yes, yes it did.” I look at my son and see the young man he is becoming and realise that how much I miss his footsteps in the house. “And I’m sorry to you, Gus, for everything. I...I was cruel and dismissive to you and...”


“And what about Mom? Are you going to say sorry to her for lying about dad saying no to donating because she was going to be carrying?”


I close my eyes and sigh. “Yes, yes I will say sorry to her for that. How did you know I said it?”


“Jenny and I overheard you two having a row. I would tell her before Jenny does now that you personally know what she’s like when she’s feeling aggrieved.” Gus snipes. I snort softly at the truth of his words and pull out my phone. “What are you doing?”


“Doing as you asked.” The phone takes a while to answer and when she picks up, she is brusque to say the least. “It’s not going well, then?” I ask.


“Hey, oh you could say that. She's currently staring at the wall on a time-out, and has been there for the last 40 minutes. So how’s the opening?”


“I’m not there yet. I’m actually at the Taylors. I brought Kemi’s letter.”


“Oh.”


“And I wanted to apologise to them face to face.”


“And how’d that go...where are you by the way, since I’m on speaker?”


“The lounge. Kendi slapped me when I told her what I said. I also apologised to Gus and need to apologise to you for lying during that row, when I said that Brian said no to donating because you were going to carry. I was…”


“I know he didn’t say that. It’s why it didn’t bother me.”


“H-how did you know?” I look at Brian in confusion...he’s smirking.


“Because, Lindsay, Brian and I don’t hate each other. We sniped at each other but that lessened as Kemi grew up. Yes, there are days when he’s an arrogant prick and I dislike him, but I stopped hating him a long time ago. I kept up the appearance as that’s what made you comfortable. You hate sharing Brian with anyone, but Gus.”


“Oh.” That’s all I can say.


“Did they accept your apology?”


“It’s a start.” Jennifer replies coolly. “But actions speak louder than words.”


“Yes they do. Look Mel, I really do have to go to the opening, I will see you tomorrow…”


“Tomorrow? But you’ve got an opening on Thursday. Eyes to the wall, Jenny!”


“And you have a rebellious pre-teen to contend with and a conference to speak at. Sidney will understand.” Silence. “Mel, are you there?”


“Yeah, I’m here. What time’s your flight?”


“I’ll let you know when I book it.”


“I can book it Mom and let you and Momma know?” Gus looks at Brian, who nods his agreement.


“Thank you, Gus. Brian, I will pay you straight back for the flight.”


“Thanks.” Brian murmurs and gives me a small, and for once, genuine smile.


“Okay, seriously got to go. Bye Mel, love you.”


“See you. Safe...what part of eyes to wall is confusing to you?! Get here soon please or she won’t be able to sit down!”


I hang up shaking my head. “It’s going to be a long road for that girl...but she’s going to walk it even if I have to drag her, kicking and screaming, every inch of the way.” I sigh heavily again. “Goodnight all, and truly I am truly sorry.”


“Let me show you out.” Kendi stands up and leads me to the front door. As we reach it, she stops me. “I don’t trust either of you, and I especially don’t like Jenny. Fuck us over again and that slap is going to be the least of your worries!” I gape at her. “Do have a pleasant evening and a safe flight, Aunt Lindsay.”


DINER - WEDNESDAY MORNING


DEBS


So far nothing. Not a scratch on him! Let’s hope that this was just his bratty side talking to Reed. He’s sitting there brooding while checking his phone. I sidle up to him and he looks startled.


“You okay, Michael? You seem distracted.”


“Oh, just waiting for Brian to pull his head out of Justin’s ass and be my friend again.” He gripes.


“What’s happened?”


“He won’t lend me $15 grand to pay Ted and Blake back.” I sit down hard. “They invested in my shop and have my collectibles as collateral. I simply explained to Brian that when he gives me the money and I pay them off, then I’ll owe him. And, since he’s my best…”


“Wait! Office! Now!” I order and have to stop myself from dragging him in there by his ear!


OFFICE


“Sit down and say that stream of shit you just said to me again, because I must have imagined you said that!”


“You didn’t imagine it! Ted came to me and asked how I was after the bank fucked me over and offered to invest. He called it a long-term loan, though. And although he said he won’t call the loan in...what? What are you looking at me like that for?”


“I am just wondering where I went wrong in raising you. You must have been swapped in your teenage years. Yeah, that must have been it because you were fine up until then!” I mutter and then wonder something...why didn’t Ted and Blake mention this when they called me over? What are those boys hiding?


“Ma? You okay, Ma?”


“Yeah, I’ve got to go. I’ll see you later.” I rush outside and after a quick chat with Kiki, I head to Kinnetic.


KINNETIC - AN HOUR LATER


TED’S OFFICE


DEBS


I am helped back up from my head-between-my-knees position take the water gratefully, and inhale it.


“Say that again...”


“I said, I will tell you why we are doing what we are doing when we have done it, but rest assured. We are definitely going to be calling the loan in.”


“Theodore Schmidt.” I growl at him and his eyes widen; I don’t normally use his full name. “Tell me now or I will go and see Blake!” I see his Adam’s apple bounce as he swallows hard. “You have five seconds and just who is this Reed guy that was round yours the last time?”


“Uh. Please Debs, can I wait, to...oh fuck!” He is staring at the door with all the blood drained from his face. ”Did you call her?” He asks me.


I turn round and there looking furious is Nya and a very nervous looking, Blake!


“She came to the clinic and insisted.” He explains weakly.


“Sit!” She indicates the sofa and they both scurry over quickly. “Speak. I’m tired of waiting for you to fess up to this whatever!” They exchange looks and then Blake nods. “Before you say anything is this in anyway connected to the children?”


“No, not really. Actually, just one kid in particular. We will tell you one part. Can that be enough for now?” Ted has unwisely regained some bravado.


“No!” We both say at the same time.


“But if we tell you all of it, then our plan won’t work!” Blake pleads.


“Still no!” She growls.


“Michael...Michael paid someone to do two things and we are making him pay for them by…”


“Stop your jibber-jabber and just say it for fuck sake! It’s not as if he tried get anything shady done. Like Brian says he’s not dangerous, is he?!” She snaps exasperated.


They both look at each other and then Ted sighs. “He tried to roofie someone and is being blackmailed over something he wanted done at a clinic.”


“Oh come on Ted, you’ve got to come up with something better than that to put us off with!” I scoff, but the look on his face tells me he’s telling me the horrible and despicable truth. “Blake?” I try to grasp at a straw... any straw.


“Connasse!” Nya bites out.


“Quite!” Ted replies quietly and then smiles at a confused looking, Blake. “Cunt. She speaks French fluently, especially the curse words.”


“Tell me about the clinic?” I whisper. “And who was the someone he tried to roofie?”


“He thinks that he’s a father.” Blake explains and I close my eyes to the full horror that is being played in my mind.


“And the roofie?” Nya prods.


“Please can this be enough?” Ted pleads.


“You said he thinks he’s a father...who to?” Nya asks. “This will be my... our last question, right Debs?”


“Yea...oh sweet fucking hell...Jenny! He thinks he’s Jenny’s father! So he tried to mess with Mel’s…” The silence gives us our answer. “Do what you need to do; we will keep quiet. Who else knows?”


“Ems and obviously Hudson Reed...his brother Mason was blackmailing Michael.”


“I see. And where can I find this Mason?” Nya fixes them a hard stare.


“Rehab facility. Michael is paying for him to get better…”


“Mason. Mason. Why do I know that name?” I mutter to myself.


“You most probably saw it on his accounts when we did our thang.” Nya suggests, but I shake my head. “You have our word, we will let you handle this and tell Ems we know but…”


“Got it! Mason Reed was a bouncer on the doors of Meathook. He got fired because he got too wasted one time too many to do his job properly! He got his clocked cleaned in Woody’s by some little…” I sit down again, remembering the story that Jen told me about how Brian and Justin actually met. It wasn’t in Babylon like I thought, it was in Woody’s. “Just nod if it was who I think it was?” They both nod. “You’re sure this Hudson is a good guy now?” They nod again.


“So I am going to guess...it was Brian, wasn’t it?” Nya asks.


“Yes, it was Brian.” Ted sighs.


“Fine.” She heaves in a breath. “This is not going to end pretty. But at least being a eunuch with his asshole sewn shut, guarantees he won’t be bothered in jail!” She barks. “If he gets there at all!”


“Can you do that?” Blake quails.


“No, but I know a man that can!” She spits.


“You do?” We all say at once and I start to smile.


“If Michael does want to do what they discussed, make sure that Nya’s guy takes him to the very edge for me! I want him to almost see the fucking light!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thank you.