- Text Size +

CHAPTER 28 - HOW DID THAT WORK OUT FOR YOU?


DEBS


His almost battered face is a picture of disbelief, disappointment and anger. “What did you say?” His busted lip starts to bleed again as he spits the words out.


“I said...” I beam at him. “Justin’s pregnant. So whoever did this, it wasn’t him. Did you get a look at the guy?”


“No, I was too busy trying not to get beaten to death!” He snarls.


“So what exactly happened?” I ask again and wait.


“Like I said, I was attacked!”


“Where? When? Why?”


Why have you only just come when I was attacked on Friday?”


“They only called me today.” I reply as I put his notes back.


“What do you mean?”


“Like I said, they only just called me today. Seems that the guy must have stolen your wallet, as well. Want me to check your effects, while you explain the run up to your attack?”


“Yeah. I don’t remember much…”


“Yep, wallet and phone aren’t here. Looks like you were mugged. You must have resisted hard for the beat down to be like this.”


“You know me, Ma. I always fight to keep what’s mine.” He sighs and leans back against the pillows. “Look Ma, I’m really tired now; think the pills are kicking in. I’m going to get some sleep. Will you still be here when I wake up?”


Before I can answer, the door opens and the nurse from earlier comes back in. “Mr Novotny you really should get some rest. Your mother can come back at normal visiting hours. Those start at five and end at seven.”


“Then that’s when I will be back.” I reply and with a kiss to his unbruised forehead, I leave him to his nasty thoughts.


MICHAEL


Pregnant! That fucker is pregnant! I went through all of this and he has a perfect fucking alibi and so does that mean bitch, Nya! And that fucker took my wallet, as well! I reach under the blankets for my phone and painfully, text Reed a message: the fucker stole my wallet, get it back or I go to the police! Who are they going to believe? A beaten up respectable business man or a tweaked out meth head like you? I close my eyes as I wait for his reply.


FOUR HOURS LATER


I feel much better. I sit up and see my phone is flashing and I reach for it. There is a message from Reed. He did not take your wallet, you left it there. He’s keeping it safe for you. He is not a thief, but a trained and careful sadist, who gave you what you wanted. Do not dare to threaten me. I know too much about you, Mr Respectable Businessman, who got his rocks off! And because of your stupidity, it’s going to be $5K for the next payment. But I will be gracious and let you be discharged first. Yours, The Tweaked Out Meth Head who Knows... Everything!


I stare at the screen in horror! Why did I run my mouth then?! Why for fuck sake?!


MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE - THURSDAY EVENING


JENNY’S ROOM


JENNY


I have been finding out anything and everything about this prep school they think they are sending me to. It looks hideous compared to the holiday camp they are going to. I look up at the knock on my door and call whichever, and I use this term loosely, Mother to come in.


“What do you think you are doing?” Mom asks, sitting on the bed.


“Reading up on my new school.” I retort.


“No, I mean what do you think you are doing by sending nasty emails to the girls?”


“What nasty emails?” I frown at her.


“Correction, not emails but IMs. Just because you shield your name, it doesn’t mean you can’t be found. None of this is the fault of Wendy, Sophie and Gretch. It lies with you and partly us. But while we are trying to change, you clearly are not. So until you accept this and stop trying to harm others and pass blame, you will continue to be punished. You have an exam tomorrow... not a test but an exam. As a special dispensation, it will count as a credit towards your weekend release points. Just in case you don’t get it, you need to pass to come home and…”


“Supposing I don’t want to come home?” I declare.


“Then you stay there. It’s your choice. We are not going to pander to your bitchery and assholery anymore! You keep doing unkind things, then like the proverbial grass, your little mean ass will continue to be mowed down. We will rat you out and you will face the consequences when you start at the prep school. So keep doing what you are doing now and face the consequences later or stop. We…”


“We? You really think there is a we here?” My voice drips derision. “You don’t get it, do you Melanie? She is still playing you. She will get bored of this let’s be nice to Mel game and then, to use your words, pander to the most important person in the family and that would be me. As for…”


“If believing that helps you sleep at night, I will leave you to your dreams but then you will wake up to face the nightmare of your reality. I’d start studying, if I were you.”


I glare at her retreating back and when the door closes, I sigh crossly. “How the fuck am I going to get out of this? There must be a way. Think Jenny! Come on, think! You have half a Marcus brain in...got it! I have got it! First, to give them what they want and then to take what I want.” Chuckling to myself, I pick up my test papers, take one look and fling them back on the desk with a snort of disdain.


LOUNGE - 10 MINUTES LATER


LINDSAY


I take the glass of wine with a smile. “So what do you think she has planned?”


“Not sure, but I have a very serious question to ask you. Is it only me that finds it weird how alike she and Michael are?”


“Personality and some mannerisms? Yes, they definitely are.”


“I know this sounds a bit mean, but I think when she’s home...if she decides to come home at the weekends, we should keep their interactions to the bare minimum. I know…”


“Oh, thank God!” I lean across to kiss her. “And thank you! I have been taking stock of my behaviour and he adds fuel to the fire with Brian. Yes I know, I did as well but he’s just…”


“Yeah, if only he would use his powers of determination for good!” She snickers. “Like him, she finds the button to push and keeps pushing it.”


“And he backs her every step of the way.” I shudder. “Though I have to say, it has been nice not to have him droning on over the last few days. Where is he anyway?”


“No idea, but most likely at a convention somewhere.”


“So what do you think Saturday’s about?” I ask and get up to refresh our glasses.


“School stuff. That’s all he said.” She replies.


“And he said to bring Jenny? You are sure about that?”


“Yes, absolutely sure. I am an attorney and tend to remember the simple things…”


“I know Mel, but it just seems such an odd request since he knows she’s grounded.”


“I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about.” She reassures me. “Right so come on, let’s get dinner served. I wonder if the prisoner will eat with us or stay in her room.”


“If it’s the latter, you need to remind her that these old houses have mice…” I giggle. “...she really should start to bring those plates down.”


“You’ve remembered that Gus will be here on Friday to do his room.” She bites her lip. It is still a very sore subject with me. “You still have a lot of work to do with him. Where you and Jenny are concerned, the trust is still not there.”


“I know, I know. But I thought he would be....”


“You don’t get over continual rejection like that... and it was you rejecting him, in favour of Jenny... in a few weeks’ time.”


“I just feel like he’s pulling away from me.”


“He isn’t pulling, he’s feeling pushed.” She tells me. “Baby steps, okay? You already started right with an apology, so let him make the next overture if he wants. But whatever he wants to do, you wait for him to do it.” I sigh in resignation. “And whatever you do, don’t hover outside his room while he does anything with it. Leave him to do it in private. Okay? In private.”


“Why?”


“Because you want to earn his trust and leaving him to do this alone is a start. You wouldn’t normally watch him clean up, so why start now?”


ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL - FRIDAY MID-MORNING


MICHAEL’S ROOM


MICHAEL


I am being discharged today and not once did anyone but Ma come and see me. As I walk painfully, around the room checking that I have everything, the door opens and it’s the doctor with my discharge papers and my meds. “Right Mr Novotny, you are good to go. The orderly will take you to the billing department and you can settle your bill, then be on your way.


My stomach drops, I had forgotten about the hospital bill! I fix a smile on my face and climb gingerly into the chair. I hope and pray that the bill is not going to be too high. When we get there, the orderly waits outside while they make up my bill.


“There you go, Mr Novotny. This figure doesn’t include tax so are you on any governmental assistance or have insurance?”


“No to the Medicaid, but I have insurance.” I thought I would be on best friend assistance, but he’s abandoned me entirely! I zero in on the bottom line and its $16,890! “At least, I can claim some of that back.” I sigh and am just about to hand over my card when I remember where my wallet is!


“Fuck!” I exclaim. “I am going to have to be billed at a later date. My wallet was stolen during my attack. I will also need to set up a payment plan.”


“Of course, we can handle that for you. As it was an assault, the reference number for the police report will be included on all your paperwork. Please contact the detectives for any further questions on your case.


“My case?” I echo.


“Yes. Because of the extent of your injuries, we viewed it as an assault so called the police. I do hope you have a speedy recovery.”


“Th-thank you.” I mutter and signal the orderly, who wheels me to the exit, where there is, of course, nobody waiting for me!


MEL AND LINDSAY’S HOUSE


DINING ROOM


JENNY


“I said, I’m not doing it.”


“I said that is your choice. You can either do it here or when you get to the prep school. But it will be done, even if it takes you forever to do it.” Momma doesn’t even look up from her slides as she speaks.


“Why are you doing this?!” I demand to know. “Can’t we…” I stop as I hear the front door open. “Mom’s back early. Couldn’t you handle me on your own?”


“Hi, Mom!” Gus calls out and I gape at her.


“What is he doing here?!” I hiss.


“This is his home. Why shouldn’t he be here?”


“He lives in Britin with his Daddies and sisters!


“Hey, Gus. I’m in the dining room!” She calls out ignoring my jibe. She’s been doing that a whole lot lately and I do not like it!


“Oh! One sec, we’ll be right there!” He calls back and we hear him coming back down the stairs. When they arrive, I am surprised to see Kendi and that loudmouth bitch from the cotillion.


“What are you three...I mean two doing in my house?” I demand.


“Ignoring you.” Gus retorts before turning back to Momma. “So Mom, this is Blair. Blair, this is my mother, Lindsay Peterson.”


“Nice to meet you, Ms Peterson.”


Mom has a stupid smile on her face, which only means one thing...society. Time to make nice.


“I’m Jenny.” I put out my hand.


“I know. I told you before, remember? At the cotillion. I hope you didn’t get a chill and managed to salvage your dress.”


“No chill, thankfully. But Jenny’s dress was…” Mom starts to explain.


“Improved upon.” Kendi interjects and I am furious as Momma smiles at that.


“So Mom, Blair and Kendi are going to help me with my room and then we’re going to the mall. We’ve got to get a couple of things for the academy and would rather do that now than have a rush towards the end of summer.”


“Sure. Do you need a lift to the mall? I do need to get some things or do you have use of the service today?”


“The service.” He sighs like it is some great hardship to be ferried around all over the fucking place. “This is the list and Kemi twisted her ankle, boarding with Josh. Hence, Blair coming to help....”


Hence?” I snark. “Since when do you say hence? And who the hell is Josh?”


“So Mom, do you want me to get the stuff you need or do you want to come with us? Wait! Is it lady stuff?”


“You guys, go on up. And no, it’s not lady stuff, Gus. So you can get it for me, thanks. Let me just double check what your Momma wanted and I will write the list out.”


“Sure, come on guys.” He takes them upstairs without even looking at me.


“You know, Jenny, you would do well to befriend Blair…”


My eyes light up. I knew she was still in there somewhere. “Why, Mommy?”


“Well, Kendi and Kemi can’t stand you. And pissing off your brother’s, I do believe, girlfriend is hardly smart, is it? And once again, it’s Momma. Now either do your assignment or get out of my sight.”


I grimace at the dismissive nature of her tone as she reached for her phone to call Mom. I don’t believe a word she says these days. Kendi and Kemi are just upset with me because I embarrassed them. But once everyone just calms the fuck down and life goes back to normal, it will be fine. I will be back in the fold and queen of this castle again in no time. I hear laughter as I head upstairs and I see the three of them with their heads together, laughing and whispering.


“Don’t even think about it.” Kendi growls. “This is Gus’s room and you have been told to stay out of it. So do that...stay out of it!”


“Of course.” I demur. “So what are you going to be buying today?”


“Who do you think you are fooling?!” Kendi looks me up and down with disgust. “As I said to Aunt Lindsay and I will say to you, I don’t like you. You are not welcome in my family. The only reason you are welcome anywhere near us is because of Gus, and that thread is starting to fray. Now go back into your cave, Miss Voldemort and plot in there!”


“Voldemort!” I gasp.


“Yes Voldemort, whose name should not be said in any decent company.” She snaps and shuts the door in my face. I reach for the keypad lock and knob, trying to jam it before they can shut me out completely. But before I can touch it, the door is opened again. “It unlocks from the inside too, stupid! It’s a safety feature.” And she slams the door in my face... again!


I am so frustrated with her sanctimonious attitude, but as I’ve been told before, pick my battles. I just turn around and walk back to my room, slamming the door hard behind me.


“Ooh burn!” Kendi shouts out sarcastically from the hall and I scream into my pillow.


BRITIN - SATURDAY MID-MORNING


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


Well, Brian has finally remembered he has an injured best friend and sent a car round to pick me up. Turns out he and Justin were out of state on business, so I guess he has a good reason to have abandoned me. But as for Mel, Lindsay and Jenny, I look forward to hearing their reasons. Ma is here too, as she and Nya are cooking today.


“Are you comfortable, Michael?” Nya asks me, quietly.


“Well considering the state of me and the cast, yes I am. But I could do with…”


“You don’t have a cast on any part of your legs, so take your feet off the table.”


“But this is a comfortable position for me.” I point out tartly. “Have you ever had this extent of injuries?”


“Nope, but then again, I wouldn’t be as stupid as you are.” She sits back and scratches her temple and I swallow hard. “I mean it is only stuff, and I can defend myself. But then if I had to, I would be in jail. Why not just give it up and walk away, relatively unscratched? But back to the original conversation before you went on a woe is me tangent, feet…” She stands and smacks my legs hard. I wince and hiss. “...off the table. You’ve been told this before.” She glares at me until I lower them with a gasp of pain. “It doesn’t affect your ribs.”


“What doesn’t?” I bitch at her.


“Moving your legs. I mean if it did, then you wouldn’t have been able to speed limp inside, now would you?” The doorbell chiming stalls my response. “Gus, can you get that please?!”


“Well, you have made yourself very comfortable, haven’t you? Will Brian be so accommodating if he knew how you order Gus about in a house that isn’t yours?” I am surprised when she smiles. “What’s so funny?”


“I am not ordering him about. He is following simple instructions and requests, which you obviously haven’t mastered yet. So watch and learn.”


“Oh my God, Uncle Michael! What happened?!” Jenny shouts when she sees me and rushes to my side. “Here, put your feet up.” She instructs me and starts to help me lift my legs again.


“Jenny, his feet do not need to be on the table. But if you want them elevated, he can put them on your lap.” There is a ghost of a smile on Nya’s face as Jenny twists her mouth and stops, which irritates the fuck out of me.


“Fuck me! But who did you open a mouth to this time?!”  Mel exclaims.


“Mom, maybe this wasn’t poor Uncle Michael’s fault.”


“Thank you, Jenny. It’s nice to have some sympathy here.” I smile at her.


“Who is being unsympathetic? I’ll soon set them straight!” She demands, giving me a gentle hug.


“I look forward to that.” Nya drawls. “I do like our chats, especially when they are brief and one sided in my favour.


“Why do you pick on Jenny so much?!” I demand.


“That’s not picking on someone. You will know when she’s picking on someone.” A man laughs as he comes in. “Jesus, what happened to you?!”


“What the hell do my injuries have to do with you?” I snipe.


“You see, this is why you get things wrong.” Nya sighs. “Instead of leading with such a bombastic and unknowing approach, you could have said thank you for your concern, I got beaten up. My name is Michael Novotny and you are? To which, he might’ve responded with, I’m Tobias and I’m a doctor. Can I look at anything for you? But now, sadly, he is disinclined to help...pity.”


“Hi, Tobias. My name is Jenny and I’m the…”


“Ah, you are her, are you?” He looks at Jenny strangely. “Well, two things: you do not address a grown up by their first name, even with their permission, which you will never have from me. And secondly, you should be very grateful that you are as young as you are as...hang on. Did you say Michael Novotny? You mean this is him?” Nya nods. “Well, whomever did you over, should…”


“Tobias, come and be helpful in the kitchen!” Ma calls him and to make sure he follows, she drags him out.


“What on earth is wrong with Tobias?” Mel asks.


“He’s got the same love for Kemi as he does for Kendi, especially since she’s been keeping him busy. Twisted ankle for her and he has another patient in Joshua. She’s still 1-0 in mastering the turnpike, but at least, they are 1-1 on the dislocated shoulders.” Nya chortles.


“And Kemi’s not remotely smug about leading in the turnpike, is she?” Mel chuckles while Lindsay smiles. Why the hell is she suddenly smiling about something Kemi does?


“Or the frontside 180 kickflip...no not smug at all, especially when she caught his board before it hit him in the face.”


“What a heroine.” Jenny mutters.


“He must think so since he’s upstairs. Such a shame you can’t join them, since you’re being Florence to our widdle wounded soldier.”


“Aunt Nya, what is your problem today? Are you on the rag or something?!” Jenny snickers and I can’t help but smile. She has definitely inherited my smart-mouth!


“I don’t like being in the company of a snarky-assed, foul-mouthed 12 year old, but that won’t be the case for a while, now will it? I do believe Ms Jenny Marcus Peterson, that you will be one of the few students who will start school with minus homecoming credits, which will most likely take you up to Christmas.”


Jenny’s face falls and she glare at her mothers. “What’s this about?” I demand.


“Oh, Uncle Michael…” She sniffs and buries her head in my shoulder, causing me to wince as she rubs into a bruise. “...they are sending me away!”


“What?! Where?! Why?!” I glare at them, but am struck by the united front they seem to have formed.


“Pittsburgh Preparatory Military School for Girls. Start of the next semester. Because she’s our daughter and won’t accept discipline from us…” Mel answers.


“And even worse that horrible Bernie is going to be my headmaster and has been giving me assignments to do for the last few weeks now! Uncle Michael, don’t let them send me away, please!”


“Of course, I won’t!” I declare, heatedly. “You can’t send her away!”


“And this has what to do with you, now?”


“Listen Mel, I know you’re her mother…”


“Michael, you have known me long enough to know that I am Lindsay! Now answer my question, why can’t we send our daughter away to get some much needed discipline and structure that she won’t accept from us?”


“No! I said no! She is not going anywhere! She’s just had some new life challenges and is acting out. She’s staying here!”


“And where do you suggest that here is exactly? Because at the end of the summer, unless you can offer an alternative, she is going to be going that school!” Lindsay snaps.


“Gus and the twins are going to Pittsburgh Progressive Academy and…”


“Then she can go there instead!” I decide.


“Until such time as she is living under your roof, you do not decide where she goes or what she does!” Lindsay growls and I actually shrink back a bit as she is so fierce in her tone.


“Uncle Michael, can I come and live with you? You would treat me fairly, wouldn’t you?!”


“Jenny, you are not going to live with Uncle Michael. He can barely look after himself, let alone a very demanding 12 year old.” Ma’s voice is cold and final. She’s never used that tone with Jenny before and I don’t like it one bit! “Michael, she is going to be living with her mothers until such time as she goes the school. Like Mel and Lindsay said, you are not her father and have no say in what happens to her.”


“But I am a father figure to her, Ma.”


Uncle figure, Uncle Michael...” Jenny sniffs. “Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin are whom I aspire to be the daughter of.”


“Those spots are taken.” Kemi comes in, glaring at her. “And whatever Papa is having will also come above you, too!”


“Whatever Papa is having?” Jenny repeats, incredulously.


“Yeah, Hotrod knocked up his Spitfire...again!” Kemi giggles before looking at Lindsay. “So Aunt Lindsay, do you have anything to say?”


“I knew it!” She giggles. “Didn’t I say it, Mel?! I said, I thought Justin is pregnant!”


“The moment we got in the car, her exact words were, Brian’s done it again!” Mel laughs. “And do you know what else she said?”


“No, do tell.” I snark.


“That she couldn’t be happier.” Mel beams at her proudly.


You could’ve heard a pin drop!





Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks